• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
I just read up on Eileen on the Bloodborne wiki and damnit it looks like I missed her quest because I remember her just attacking me and fighting her like 20 freaking times before I finally killed her. SMH.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I am legitimately insane and cannot be trusted with money.

DcbFynTWkAEAN9o.jpg

Now we'll never be separated.

Never

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I put my controller on my lap to check my phone and I accidentally killed the doll with an L3. She let out the saddest shriek as my heart sank in horror.

Thank God she came back when I returned to the Hunter's Dream. I don't think I could've lived with myself

Also

Ludwig down. It only took me like 30 tries. I usually don't lock on giant beast bosses but I had a much easier time with him when locked on. This boss really goes to show how different this game can be from Dark Souls. In DS, you mostly hit and run; in this game, when you find an opening you just go ham on bosses and you'll very often be rewarded for it, specially since you can rally most of your health back. Oh, and that second phase is incredible. And also, easier.

I killed him with a +9 Whirlgig Saw. I've been using LHB so far but I don't love the moveset. And it wasn't very effective against, well, Ludwig. The WS just tore him several new ones. Get behind him, hold L2, stagger, viceral. Games don't get more satisfying than this.

I'm bummed out that I didn't get his Moonlight Sword. I thought I could buy it from the messangers after killing him but nope. Then again I just spent 16 Chunks upgrading the Whirlgig and I'm not about to spend 320 Insight on more. I also hope I find another Rock in the DLC.

Last edited:

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I put my controller on my lap to check my phone and I accidentally killed the doll with an L3. She let out the saddest shriek as my heart sank in horror.

Thank God she came back when I returned to the Hunter's Dream. I don't think I could've lived with myself
I haven't seen this first hand because I can't bring myself to do it, but...
she acts she's meeting you for the first time, right? That's a little heartbreaking.

Also

Ludwig down. It only took me like 30 tries. I usually don't lock on giant beast bosses but I had a much easier time with him when locked on. This boss really goes to show how different this game can be from Dark Souls. In DS, you mostly hit and run; in this game, when you find an opening you just go ham on bosses and you'll very often be rewarded for it, specially since you can rally most of your health back. Oh, and that second phase is incredible. And also, easier.

I killed him with a +9 Whirlgig Saw. I've been using LHB so far but I don't love the moveset. And it wasn't very effective against, well, Ludwig. The WS just tore him several new ones. Get behind him, hold L2, stagger, viceral. Games don't get more satisfying than this.

I'm bummed out that I didn't get his Moonlight Sword. I thought I could buy it from the messangers after killing him but nope. Then again I just spent 16 Chunks upgrading the Whirlgig and I'm not about to spend 320 Insight on more. I also hope I find another Rock in the DLC.
You can get the sword by talking to Ludwig's head while wearing any Church set and replying "yes" to his question.

Congrats, btw! I've yet to defeat him solo, that first phase is too punishing. While we're on the subject of Ludwig I wanna plug a video of one of my playthroughs where he syncs his AoE attack with the swell of the music perfectly. I was SCREAMING when this happened. I swear this has got to be how Miyazaki envisioned this fight happening.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking of doing an Amygdalan Arm build.
Is this probably the best stat distribution for it:
Cruel Fate SL120
Vit: 30
End: 25
Str: 50
Skl: 25
Bt: 5
Arc: 35

It gives me good damage on the Arm (414 according to the calculator), and it gives me stupid damage on a Boom Hammer/HMS secondary. I lose out on A Call Beyond, but that's the only downside I can see.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I haven't seen this first hand because I can't bring myself to do it, but...
she acts she's meeting you for the first time, right? That's a little heartbreaking.

Yeah, it's disturbing in a Black Mirroresque-sort of way.

You can get the sword by talking to Ludwig's head while wearing any Church set and replying "yes" to his question.

Congrats, btw! I've yet to defeat him solo, that first phase is too punishing. While we're on the subject of Ludwig I wanna plug a video of one of my playthroughs where he syncs his AoE attack with the swell of the music perfectly. I was SCREAMING when this happened. I swear this has got to be how Miyazaki envisioned this fight happening.

That's incredible. That music turned the fight up to 11.

Huh, I'd have never figured the other thing out by myself; there were a ton of notes lying around with 'remember church', etc.

It was an awesome fight. It truly shows how this game is head-and-shoulders above anything else. It's on a class of its own.

Speaking of the DLC, without spoiling its location if so, is there a Blood Rock to be found? So far I've found only one in the base game. I'm about to spend 60 insight to buy it from the Messangers and bring my Whirlgig Saw up to +10, but it'd truly suck if I upgraded it that way and soon aftwards I stumbled onto another Rock.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's disturbing in a Black Mirroresque-sort of way.

That's incredible. That music turned the fight up to 11.

Huh, I'd never figured the other thing out by myself; there were a ton of notes lying around with 'remember church', etc.

It was an awesome fight. It truly shows how this game is head-and-shoulders above anything else. It's on a class of its own.

Speaking of the DLC, without spoiling its location if so, is there a Blood Rock to be found? So far I found only one in the base game. I'm about to spend 60 insight to buy it from the Messangers and bring my Whirlgig Saw up to +10, but it'd truly suck if I upgraded it that way and soon aftwards I stumbled onto another Rock.

There is in fact one blood rock to be found in the DLC. But WHEEEEERRRRRE? That you will have to find out yourself.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I got to the Research Hall and it's reminicent of the Duke's Archives, down to the rotating staircases. I found the area quite disturbing, even by the standards of this game, so that's really saying something. Now that I know there's a Blood Rock in the DLC I'm searching every nook and cranny.

It was quite the moment getting the key to the garden and realizing that
it's actually Lumenflower gardens. It also makes me wonder if the bloated head creatures the church is experimenting on eventually turned into the Winter Lanterns since they look kinda similar.

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, Research Hall has amazing atmosphere, it's my favorite location in the DLC. :)
It also makes me wonder if the bloated head creatures the church is experimenting on eventually turned into the Winter Lanterns since they look kinda similar.
I don't see any relation between them lore-wise, but yeah, there are many similarities between them. Dunno if you've seen this already, but some of them attack you with tentacles and others induce frenzy. Sound familiar? Another fact is that Winter Lanterns only appear in Nightmares (if I'm not mistaken), and the patients only appear in the Hunter's Nightmare. However... how do you explain Winter Lanterns having the body of the Doll and a bunch of dead messengers for a head? Haha.

Last edited:

turbocats

Oct 26, 2017
Cross-posting from the Souls thread, so if that's not allowed, may the good blood guide my way out of this thread.

Okay, so I'm going to watch some videos and pro strats, but I'm looking for advice. I'm stuck in NG+ on the Shadow of Yharnam boss fight. I had 0% problems with this boss in NG, but I'm finding a lot of the HP buffage in NG+ to be problematic vs. the DPS output I have. I think I'm around SL125-135. Stats are 35 Vit/50Str/50Skl. Rolling with a +9 Saw Cleaver and a +6ish Hunter's Axe. Frustrating because it's a 2+ minute run to the boss, even just sprinting almost. Anyway, I don't have PS+, so summoning a friend is not an option. However, I have had two different scenarios:
  • Summon the NPC at the gate a bit before the boss fog door. I then run in and kill the caster while the other two bosses aggro to the NPC summon. I take the caster down, the NPC dies shortly after, and I literally can't DPS enough to take another one down before I run out of health vials/run out of stam and can't dodge one of the long snake attack stretch garbage.
  • Summon the NPC, transform my Hunter's Axe and use a lot of R2 spam to put these guys down on the ground. DPS is WAY too slow to take out any one of them before the NPC dies, and then I'm dealing with 3 all at the same time, not 2.
  • Don't summon the NPC, the bosses don't have as much HP, but I have a ton of trouble isolating any one of them for more than two hits. Especially once the snake phase hits, it's really tough to manage all three of them with the stretch attacks and casting still going on, even circling around the massive headstone things.
I know you'll all tell me to git gud, but I hope there's something else that might help. I don't have any Shaman Bone Blades. I can grind more levels in the 1st Floor Lecture Hall to get more VIT or something, but I don't know that there'd be much value in that. Just as a bit more background, I struggled with the Gascoigne fight in NG+ as well as Amelia and Paarl, but for some reason I could come back later and "see into The Matrix" and hose each one of them. I'm not finding that with moment with the Shadow fight, even after 10+ attempts.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
Working through the defiled chalice. Today I worked through watchdog and managed to drop that bastard. Keeper tripped me up for about a week before I was able to. Defiled amygdala is giving me a little trouble, but I'll get it down tomorrow. Progress seems to be slow but steady!

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Working through the defiled chalice. Today I worked through watchdog and managed to drop that bastard. Keeper tripped me up for about a week before I was able to Defiled amygdala is giving me a little trouble, but I'll get it down tomorrow. Progress seems to be slow but steady!

I'm also working through the Defiled Chalice and I'm getting my ass handed to me by the Keeper of the Old Lord's. It's no fun getting one hit killed, let me tell ya.

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Cross-posting from the Souls thread, so if that's not allowed, may the good blood guide my way out of this thread.

Okay, so I'm going to watch some videos and pro strats, but I'm looking for advice. I'm stuck in NG+ on the Shadow of Yharnam boss fight. I had 0% problems with this boss in NG, but I'm finding a lot of the HP buffage in NG+ to be problematic vs. the DPS output I have. I think I'm around SL125-135. Stats are 35 Vit/50Str/50Skl. Rolling with a +9 Saw Cleaver and a +6ish Hunter's Axe. Frustrating because it's a 2+ minute run to the boss, even just sprinting almost. Anyway, I don't have PS+, so summoning a friend is not an option. However, I have had two different scenarios:
  • Summon the NPC at the gate a bit before the boss fog door. I then run in and kill the caster while the other two bosses aggro to the NPC summon. I take the caster down, the NPC dies shortly after, and I literally can't DPS enough to take another one down before I run out of health vials/run out of stam and can't dodge one of the long snake attack stretch garbage.
  • Summon the NPC, transform my Hunter's Axe and use a lot of R2 spam to put these guys down on the ground. DPS is WAY too slow to take out any one of them before the NPC dies, and then I'm dealing with 3 all at the same time, not 2.
  • Don't summon the NPC, the bosses don't have as much HP, but I have a ton of trouble isolating any one of them for more than two hits. Especially once the snake phase hits, it's really tough to manage all three of them with the stretch attacks and casting still going on, even circling around the massive headstone things.
I know you'll all tell me to git gud, but I hope there's something else that might help. I don't have any Shaman Bone Blades. I can grind more levels in the 1st Floor Lecture Hall to get more VIT or something, but I don't know that there'd be much value in that. Just as a bit more background, I struggled with the Gascoigne fight in NG+ as well as Amelia and Paarl, but for some reason I could come back later and "see into The Matrix" and hose each one of them. I'm not finding that with moment with the Shadow fight, even after 10+ attempts.
I hate Shadow of Yharnam so much.

Usual tips: they're somewhat weak to bolt, so bolt paper is your friend. I'd also upgrade the saw cleaver to +10 (but I'm guessing you didn't get the blood rock from Nightmare of Mensis in NG or you're saving it for something else?) and equip the best gems you have, that goes without saying. Personally I wouldn't use heavy attacks since all three Shadows are pretty mobile, they will dodge often and that'll be frustrating. I'd go for R1 spam, you can stunlock them with a bit of timing.

My preference is to first take down the melee-only Shadow because he's the most aggressive of the three, and getting rid of him gives me more room to breathe and think. Isolating him is "easy" as he will run straight at you while the other two guys tend to lag behind, so stay back and let him come to you while keeping an eye out for fireballs. I'd recommend learning the timing to parry some of his attacks, earning visceral attacks should compensate your low DPS. Once that guy's dead, the mixed melee/fire Shadow tends to use melee attacks more often than fire, and those are relatively easy to parry - again, go nuts with visceral attacks!
Last guy should be the fireball Shadow, who will at this point will be spamming giant snakes. The good news is that he's pretty passive otherwise, especially if you stay close to him - in my experience, he mostly focuses on getting away from you before attacking. Dodge like crazy once he summons snakes (when you see him start the animation don't get greedy hits in, you need to save your stamina to dodge), and attack him patiently while he's trying to put some distance between you.

Oh, and another thing, the giant snake phase happens either when 2 are alive and below 30% health, or when only 1 is alive, even if he's at full health. I'd recommend fighting and killing them one by one - you really don't wanna reach snake phase with 2 Shadows still alive. Getting 2 or even 3 Shadows close to death and finishing them off all at once is tempting, but personally I think it's riskier.

Last edited:

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
but I have a ton of trouble isolating any one of them for more than two hits. Especially once the snake phase hits, it's really tough to manage all three of them with the stretch attacks and casting still going on, even circling around the massive headstone things.

No need to really isolate them, just use the whole area, and just keep moving, don't sprint but keep running in large circles, will get all the spells to drop behind you, so they'll be a non-issue mostly. go in for a hit or two on one of them, then get out and keep running in large circles (as in pretty much run around the large headstone and such). IIRC they get each others abilities when they die, so best idea is to get them all to about 20% before you start killing them.

And as always, don't get greedy with the hits, if you stay for a third strike, there's massive damage most likely incoming. And bolt paper helps I think. They can be staggered, but I had a really hard time with that. I think saw cleaver, in normal mode should work well, it's what I used.

Have you "gemmed" your cleaver btw?

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
started my 3rd playthrough. beat cleric with ease but had a little trouble with Gascoigne but got him on my 3rd try. it felt so satisfying because once i learned how to dodge his shots he hardly got a hit on me. my previous playthroughs i just used the music box and downed vials to stay alive. i'm dreading blood starved beast! i have no idea many times i've died to it. it may be my most frustrating boss.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I'm also working through the Defiled Chalice and I'm getting my ass handed to me by the Keeper of the Old Lord's. It's no fun getting one hit killed, let me tell ya.

Keeper was hard to adjust to because of the lack of my own health, but I got brave and started parrying that sucker, made it way more manageable. Once I got it I enjoyed the fight more. The best strategy is not to get greedy with your hits and know when to bail out.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Switched to a Bloodtinge build on NG+ and I am getting absolutely fucked now. The amount of vials, bullets and Insight I've used is hilarious.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
I have to admit Rom in the Lower Pthumeru chalice dungeon made me abandon that dungeon. Rom was already bitch in Moonlight Lake, it seems impossible in that more confined space.

Will have to come back when I'm even more leveled up.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I have to admit Rom in the Lower Pthumeru chalice dungeon made me abandon that dungeon. Rom was already bitch in Moonlight Lake, it seems impossible in that more confined space.

Will have to come back when I'm even more leveled up.

I found Chalice Rom easier than Vanilla Rom since I could just hide behind the pillars when he did his arcane hailstorm thing.

I only kill the first batch of spiders and then go ham on him with BBP and Bolt Paper. You can get him to under 40% that way before his second phase.

Keeper was hard to adjust to because of the lack of my own health, but I got brave and started parrying that sucker, made it way more manageable. Once I got it I enjoyed the fight more. The best strategy is not to get greedy with your hits and know when to bail out.

I've been parrying and viceraling in the first phase but I haven't been so successful after it buffs its sword.

i'm dreading blood starved beast! i have no idea many times i've died to it. it may be my most frustrating boss.

Someone mentioned in the thread that the best way of dealing with BSB is by just walking (Not dodging) to its right. I hadn't tried that strat because I prefer parrying it, but the Ailing Loran version of BSB hits so hard and has so much HP that I decided to try the walk to its right strat and it works incredibly well. It literally cannot hit you.

Last edited:

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I have to admit Rom in the Lower Pthumeru chalice dungeon made me abandon that dungeon.

Oh yeah, I fought him this morning. Look at this horse shit.

4leEyML.jpg

Still, after slapping on some Kinhunter gems and using Bolt Paper, he went down fairly quickly.

I don't even bother with the other spiders.
Someone mentioned in the thread that the best way of dealing with BSB is by just walking (Not dodging) to its right. I hadn't tried that strat because I prefer parrying it, but the Ailing Loran version of BSB hits so hard and has so much HP that I decided to try the walk to its right strat and it works incredibly well. It literally cannot hit you.
This was how I beat him the first time, and steamrolled him on NG+ by doing it again. If it wasn't for this he'd probably still wreck me every time.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A couple months after finishing BB and getting well into Dark Souls 3 now, I gotta say that I feel I really underestimated Bloodborne's level design. I was absorbed in other things while I was playing (the people/lights around, the color palette, etc.) and I've made many posts about my impressions then, but especially seeing Dark Souls 3 pale in comparison in every respect has made me realize that Bloodborne actually gets so much right, I didn't really realize it until I was long done with the game.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm still in the same place I was earlier. I have The Well, OoK, First Vicar, and the final boss. I've gotten close on The Well once and it was heartbreaking when I died. I also had one round where one of the Winter Lanterns decided to follow me in. That was pretty dumb.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Any tips for Micolash? Me and two friends are doing co-op and keep getting one shotted on his second phase. Don't remember having this much trouble before.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a hybrid arcane build, maining Ludwig's with a fire gem and tonitrus at the moment. Been trying to beast roar it. One friend is bloodtinge/skill and the other is quality.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a hybrid arcane build, maining Ludwig's with a fire gem and tonitrus at the moment. Been trying to beast roar it. One friend is bloodtinge/skill and the other is quality.
Oh wow, that's quite different from what I've been doing all around hahaha

Don't know what else to say sorry

Good luck!

Perhaps fighting him with 3 people is creating an issue? I think the bosses gain more HP if you summon, so maybe you'll have an easier time with one summon or none.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Stay close to him then he'll never do the projectile burst magic and the tentacle arms one is easy just to walk around whilst you regen stamina, then just go ham again.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for Micolash? Me and two friends are doing co-op and keep getting one shotted on his second phase. Don't remember having this much trouble before.

Attack to his sides, when cornered Micolash tends to do his spell more often on second phase, so try to poke him evade to the side, doing a backdash is suicide

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Have over 100 hours on this fucking beautiful game now. One more Trophy until my first Platinum since... 2012 or something.

I can almost taste it.

hqdefault.jpg

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm always surprised when I see people with a ton of Insight. I rarely ever have more than 10 or so, usually just leave the Knowledge in my inventory and use it when I need to because of those Brainsucker fucks.

Also, what are these Lost and Uncanny weapon variants exactly? I don't really play PvP but was wondering if they'd be of any use.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I don't really know how I ended up with so much insight. I usually stick around for a bit after beating a boss to help people with the resonant bell and Chalice dungeons also give you a ton of insight. I guess I should spend it since I basically have no Frenzy resistance but other than Beast Blood Pellets I don't know what I could get. Bolt and Fire paper I buy with Blood Echoes since I always have way too many of those as well since I stopped leveling a while ago and my vials and bullets are also maxed out.

Maybe another Rock to bring another weapon to +10? I actually have enough Madman's Knowledge to buy like 2 Rocks, hah.

The Lost, Uncanny, etc. variations just have different gem slots. They are identical in every other way.

Last edited:

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
After slow progress for the last couple weeks because of Defiled Chalice + other random garbage, I beat the game and got the Childhood Beginning ending. What a hell of a ride.

Now to cruise back through the game for the other two endings since those are the only trophies I still need for the platinum.

I fucking love this game.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Can someone explain how Insight works in terms of Frenzy?

Insight lowers your Frenzy resistance, as well as your beasthood stat. The more Insight you have, the faster you get frenzied, and the less beasthood you can build up. I don't know the exact numbers, but at my current 70ish Insight my Frenzy bar is so short I get frenzied immediately when encountering Winter Lanterns. Nightmare of Mensis was basically impossible unless I equipped the +200 Frenzy Resistance Rune as well as the Ashen Hunter set with Eileen's crow mask.

Just beat OoK. Parries absolutely wreck his shit. With a BBP and the Clawmark Runes I was viceral'ing him for about 3200.

3YFU7Iq.jpg

I guess I should finish the game now, but I still have to do the remaining Chalice Dungeons. The Defiled Chalice is monstrously difficult, much harder than anything I've seen in the game. The DLC bosses are nothing compared to Defiled Watchdog of the Old Lords. I can't even get him under 80% before he kills me in one hit.

Last edited:

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat Defiled Watchdog of the Old Lords on my way towards Platinum, with the help of a co-op person. I think I'll be stuck at Amy for awhile next.

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I played the patience game for Defiled Amygdala. My strat was to use the transformed threaded cane (whip mode) + empty phantasm shell, fight her without locking on and always stay at her sides, close to her feet. Dodge whatever attack she does, and then whip her arms/hands (usually one R2 hit, you really can't afford to get greedy). With a few hits you can break any of her limbs, or even her head - she will heal a broken limb after a short time, but while a limb is broken, you deal a lot more damage if you hit it. Focus always on one arm/hand, break it, enjoy the extra damage while it lasts, then move to a different arm/hand after she heals.

The only annoying part is surviving during the last 30% of her health. She starts spamming jumping attacks and even if you time your dodges, it's basically a lottery. Not as bullshit as Ludwig's jumping attack but I still had plenty of deaths after not having taken a single hit during the rest of the fight.

I'm proud of having beaten her solo. One of my finer moments. :)

turbocats

Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to say thanks for all of the suggestions. I worked up some extra courage and fought SUPER aggressively during the Shadow of Yharnam fight, and I was able to take them down. Once I did that, I spent some time grinding, made it through a couple of the Chalices, which are pretty easy on NG+ until you get to the Lower Pthumeru Chalice, and I've now gotten all the way up to Ebrietas. Definitely loving it.