• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watchdog slaughtered! Damn it feels good! I was so fucking nervous when it was below 1/4th hp. I very nearly choked the fight at the end. I probably shrieked harder than the Cleric Beast when I thought I made a mistake and died. The last charged R2 that took it to 1 hp was such a huge risk and the dog almost killed me with firebreath. It took way too long to charge the R2 attack, how stupid I was! By some miracle the fire didn't hit me.

Honestly, I'm pretty proud of myself now. The fight went really well, especially the first minute or so.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Maybe that is why those crazy tick ladies are kicking my butt... I should be at the castle yet.
The castle is optional and so are the blood lickers, so I'd say this is a fine time to be there but the interior isn't quite as brutal as the courtyard.
There's also the Nightmare Frontier you could go to if you haven't been there yet.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Watchdog slaughtered! Damn it feels good! I was so fucking nervous when it was below 1/4th hp. I very nearly choked the fight at the end. I probably shrieked harder than the Cleric Beast when I thought I made a mistake and died. The last charged R2 that took it to 1 hp was such a huge risk and the dog almost killed me with firebreath. It took way too long to charge the R2 attack, how stupid I was! By some miracle the fire didn't hit me.

Honestly, I'm pretty proud of myself now. The fight went really well, especially the first minute or so.

Great job! :)

That's exactly what I do, just stand infront at that distance in and out. That second charge was close, I thought it was going to hit you!

EEEK!! @ 4.20-ish! O_O

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've died to Laurence over 100 times now. Is this normal?
He can be very tough, but I think the last stage is deceptively simple. I always used to dread this fight, but a while back I watched LobosJr's NG+7 fist only fight - which is madness obv - but because those fights last so long you get a good look at all the attack patterns and dodging strategies.

The crawling attack he does in the last stage is really easy to dodge if you just go around him clockwise, even walking it. The rest I think is just him spewing lava which gives you a good chance to get in for some damage. The first half of the fight is much like CB - just go ham and use regain to your advantage, backing off every now and again to heal if necessary. I usually take pot shots at his head with the gun whenever at range too because it will usually result in him getting staggered sooner or later for a visceral attack.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I just beat Laurence on my last play session, and boy was that a messy fight.

Yeah, what Red Liquorice said is good advice. First half of the fight is pretty much like Cleric Beast, but some of Laurence's slams have fire shockwaves to watch out for.

Bone Marrow Ash is good too for staggering Laurence faster with your gun.

Moving to his left is the way to go on the second stage.

And if all else fails, you can try summoning us for help!

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I just beat Laurence on my last play session, and boy was that a messy fight.

Yeah, what Red Liquorice said is good advice. First half of the fight is pretty much like Cleric Beast, but some of Laurence's slams have fire shockwaves to watch out for.

Bone Marrow Ash is good too for staggering Laurence faster with your gun.

Moving to his left is the way to go on the second stage.

And if all else fails, you can try summoning us for help!
I beat him on my first try with a summon because I remember having so much trouble when I fought him on my last playthrough. I probably could've done it solo, but boy did the two of us wreck that guy.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I beat him on my first try with a summon because I remember having so much trouble when I fought him on my last playthrough. I probably could've done it solo, but boy did the two of us wreck that guy.

Some of my favorite memories fighting Laurence involve a +10 Whirlgig Saw, a couple of Beast Blood Pellets, and two other hunters going to town on his fiery, furry ass. Haha.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It took me like 3 tries to get Laurence. I equipped a combo of Bone Ash and Charred Hunter gear which has nice physical def. as well as high fire resistance. For the first phase you fight him like a Cleric Beast except you want to roll a little extra because of the lingering fire damage. For the second phase, I think you just have to work on getting around him when he's spraying fire. You can easily get on his flanks and just freely whack away. I was using blades of mercy which are great for really quick strikes and a super awesome running thrust. I also had some fire resist runes, a health rune, and an increase all defenses rune. Reduce that fire damage and you can dodge the swipe and Rally through the reduced fire damage. I felt he was super vulnerable from behind.

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got my Platinum :D

Queen was a bit of a letdown since it was so easy compared to what came before :p

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Today I have killed the dog, the Amygdala and the super fast guy. Now I'm battling with the Bloodletting Beast. I can smell the platinum.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats man. Bloodletting Beast is much easier than Ptumerian Descendant and Yharnam is really more gimmicky than difficult
Thanks. Amygdala was infuriating with the jump attack that always had me dead under its feet. And the Descendant was annoying too, but after I equipped my visceral buff rune I got him pretty easily. For some reason I had a lot of problems getting the viscerals connecting after a parry.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like I made things harder for myself by beating Amelia before exploring Hemwick, due to new enemies spawning in that area. Was watching an ENB let's play and he didn't have to deal with Mad Ones.

Kind of annoying since it makes the first shortcut incredibly dangerous (one of them spawns right outside that shortcut).

Edit: Actually looks like it may be due to my high Insight? Hmm interesting.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks. Amygdala was infuriating with the jump attack that always had me dead under its feet. And the Descendant was annoying too, but after I equipped my visceral buff rune I got him pretty easily. For some reason I had a lot of problems getting the viscerals connecting after a parry.
When Amygdala jumps stand still and it will never hit you - perfect chance to charge up an R2 attack to smack her head!

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
l765Itf.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys, you helped me a lot. Wow. I played 8 hours today...

This is easily my top 3 game of all time. Almost perfection.

Look at my fucking opening post in this thread:

Played for an hour, found no weapons and got to a spot where there was like 20 enemies that I found no way around. Not my type of game.

Ban me.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
l765Itf.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys, you helped me a lot. Wow. I played 8 hours today...

Ban me.

One of us, one of us...

So glad you enjoyed it - my brother in law started playing it tonight and he just sent me these -

'You're joking- I just got really far (by my standards), died, now lost all my progress'

'I got past a mob, then made it on top of a bridge where two beasts were patrolling. Tried taking one of them on and got annihilated.'

Hope he gets it too!

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
progressing so far into Bloodborne gave me the confidence to get back into Dark Souls 3

can confirm that I'm still awful at that game lol

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've finally ended the nightmare!
... By joining it.

Now that I'm looking up every aspect of the hunt instead of delving blindly, my second time through with a new character should be much nicer- and much longer. I completed like, four NPC quests, maybe? What story I did glimpse and read about is incredible though. The game will be much more interesting
now that I know the moon cycles and what that entails. So cool.
I'll also make sure it's a non-summoning run as well, will take out every optional boss, unlock all the dungeon chalices, etc.

Perfect game, tied with Dark Souls imo- a fucking straight up 11/10.

tenor.gif

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I booted up Dark Souls 3 on PC after so much Bloodborne and whoah, 60 FPS is such a huge difference. Don't think I can bounce between these two without resenting Bloodborne lol.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I just sort of beat Orphan on my first try.

I figured before going in there myself, I'd co-op with a few people to get the hang of it. Having less health made it a two hit kill on me. But then when I took him on solo, he was a piece of cake. The fight is pure rhythm, especially when he jumps in the air. I can feel when he's going to come back down, and a lot of the time I can feel when to dodge his normal attacks. He's a lot more elegant than many other bosses in my opinion.

So, after using 10 vials (dude still hits hard, despite telegraphing pretty clearly) and getting him down to the last sliver, I prostrated myself and let him kill me. I want to see how little damage I can take during the fight. I might not be satisfied until I do a no damage run, honestly. This really might be my favorite boss in the game, even more so than Maria. From a purely mechanical standpoint, at least.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
l765Itf.jpg

Ban me.

You have found your eldritch truth. I think your experience is similar to a lot of people's. Initial frustration but the game just fuckin sticks and you have to keep trying. It's my favorite game of all time I can confidently say.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Three years late to the party, but I finally started playing this. Never played a Souls game before and ended up playing for almost 5 hours straight today. Definitely had a rough go at it in the beginning though. I lost about 4000 blood echoes to a pair of wolves on the bridge, and then when I found an alternate route around them, I wound up getting my ass kicked by The Cleric Beast. After that I started exploring the rest of the map like the sewers and killing some easier enemies to get some echoes back. Also leveled up, upgraded my weapon, got some armor, and wound up taking care of The Cleric Beast pretty easily the next go around.

Have to say beating that boss (even if it's probably one of the easiest in the game) was immensely satisfying and I'm glad to finally be able to appreciate the game's appeal firsthand after hearing so much about it over the years. Not sure if my feeble gaming skills will be able to carry me to the final boss, but I'm definitely excited to play more of it. Also dying/losing echoes doesn't seem to be as frustrating as I thought it would be before playing. Sure it's a bit of a bummer when it happens (and I'm sure I'm going to lose a lot more over the course of my playthrough), but the game also seems pretty smart about giving you a pretty steady stream of them just through playing the game and defeating enemies.

Feb 15, 2018
I have not punched a control pad so hard for many a year. 50,000 Echoes gone. That was disappointing. It certainly inspires emotion though, so there is that....

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Three years late to the party, but I finally started playing this. Never played a Souls game before and ended up playing for almost 5 hours straight today. Definitely had a rough go at it in the beginning though. I lost about 4000 blood echoes to a pair of wolves on the bridge, and then when I found an alternate route around them, I wound up getting my ass kicked by The Cleric Beast. After that I started exploring the rest of the map like the sewers and killing some easier enemies to get some echoes back. Also leveled up, upgraded my weapon, got some armor, and wound up taking care of The Cleric Beast pretty easily the next go around.

Have to say beating that boss (even if it's probably one of the easiest in the game) was immensely satisfying and I'm glad to finally be able to appreciate the game's appeal firsthand after hearing so much about it over the years. Not sure if my feeble gaming skills will be able to carry me to the final boss, but I'm definitely excited to play more of it. Also dying/losing echoes doesn't seem to be as frustrating as I thought it would be before playing. Sure it's a bit of a bummer when it happens (and I'm sure I'm going to lose a lot more over the course of my playthrough), but the game also seems pretty smart about giving you a pretty steady stream of them just through playing the game and defeating enemies.

Good to hear you're getting into it! Overcoming challenges in these games is such a great feeling.

Don't sell yourself short! Another cool thing about these games is that players who have the patience to learn find themselves getting better and better as they progress. Make no mistake about it, you will find even tougher obstacles, and Bloodborne has its fair share of bosses that require a baseline level of reflexes and cool-headedness to overcome. But you seem to have the right mindset to tackle the rest of Bloodborne, and if you're up for it, the other Souls games. There's that understandable mental hurdle for a lot of people where losing echoes/souls feels devastating and that it means making zero progress. Feels like you aren't burdened by that anxiety at all, which is perfect. You're 100% right that you will always be getting echoes as you play, and the game even provides a "safer" way of gaining echoes through the Coldblood Dews that I'm sure you've picked up already.

And in case you haven't already been doing this, make it a point to spend echoes left over from leveling up your character and upgrading your weapon on Blood Vials and Quicksilver Bullets in the Hunter's Dream. Make this a habit to minimize farming for such items in case you hit a wall with a boss or an area.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have not punched a control pad so hard for many a year. 50,000 Echoes gone. That was disappointing. It certainly inspires emotion though, so there is that....
Hehe. 50,000 is a couple of regular enemies in a Chalice Dungeon depth 5. I lost about 1.2M the other day and I was like "well there goes 10 minutes work" - The game just throws blood echoes at you late game, it's difficult to know what to spend it on without overlevelling.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont

Cleric Beast is surprisingly hard early on, because when you first encounter you won't have leveled up at all—need 1 Insight to channel blood echoes. It's almost expected you'll get stomped and hen spend some time farming and come back.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Hehe. 50,000 is a couple of regular enemies in a Chalice Dungeon depth 5. I lost about 1.2M the other day and I was like "well there goes 10 minutes work" - The game just throws blood echoes at you late game, it's difficult to know what to spend it on without overlevelling.
Now that I've decided not to level up anymore, it's become a big load off. If I happen to have any echoes after a run, I just refill vials and bullets and stockpile more paper.

Nov 29, 2017
Beaufort SC
It is absolutely amazing hearing all these great stories, about Bloodborne. This game is what lead me to playing and beating all the Dark Souls games and building a gaming PC. in all my 37 years, Bloodborne has been the most amazing, emotion filled, thought provoking game I have had the privilege to play. Hearing these stories of triumph make my day better.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
beat amelia. ended up summoning an npc to help because fuckin' a that boss is a tank. it honestly felt like the easiest boss up until this point but it just took so damn long to whittle down the hp each time I'd always get impatient near the end.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Good to hear you're getting into it! Overcoming challenges in these games is such a great feeling.

Don't sell yourself short! Another cool thing about these games is that players who have the patience to learn find themselves getting better and better as they progress. Make no mistake about it, you will find even tougher obstacles, and Bloodborne has its fair share of bosses that require a baseline level of reflexes and cool-headedness to overcome. But you seem to have the right mindset to tackle the rest of Bloodborne, and if you're up for it, the other Souls games. There's that understandable mental hurdle for a lot of people where losing echoes/souls feels devastating and that it means making zero progress. Feels like you aren't burdened by that anxiety at all, which is perfect. You're 100% right that you will always be getting echoes as you play, and the game even provides a "safer" way of gaining echoes through the Coldblood Dews that I'm sure you've picked up already.

And in case you haven't already been doing this, make it a point to spend echoes left over from leveling up your character and upgrading your weapon on Blood Vials and Quicksilver Bullets in the Hunter's Dream. Make this a habit to minimize farming for such items in case you hit a wall with a boss or an area.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I have to admit I've been avoiding the Souls games for a long time, as I've never been too good with "hard" games; even going back to childhood and playing 8-bit/16-bit era games. But at the same time, the series has racked up so much praise and accolades over the years, that it almost feels like a 'rite of passage' for anyone who considers themselves a gamer to at least try to experience them. Moreover, there's a difference between 'unforgiving difficulty' and 'tough but fair', and it's always been reassuring to hear these games tend to be the latter rather than the former (which seems consistent with my early impressions of the game as well). Of course, dying repeatedly in a game can get frustrating, but I also find myself eager to get back into it. From the stylish animations (love the weapon transform effect, visceral attacks, and stabbing your thigh to heal up with a blood vial) to the creepy Gothic Victorian atmosphere (probably the main reason I wanted to start off the series playing Bloodborne), I suppose it's just fun to try to immerse myself in this world (and experiencing a bit of the tension that comes from trying to survive in it).

Cleric Beast is surprisingly hard early on, because when you first encounter you won't have leveled up at all—need 1 Insight to channel blood echoes. It's almost expected you'll get stomped and hen spend some time farming and come back.

Yeah the first time I tried it I honestly felt so useless. I was trying my best to dodge and get out of the way of his attacks, but wound up not being able to shave off more than a fifth of the health bar before dying. When I came back after some upgrades the difference was practically night and day. I think without realizing it I was doing a better job of dodging (still got room for improvement) and finding safe times to heal up, but probably most importantly, my weapon was actually hitting him a lot harder Definitely felt good to see him drop.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Well, I just beat Orphan on my second try. Just brute forced it with my BL105 character. I know for sure I can't be that sloppy on NG+.

Also, it was really annoying fighting Rom with my BL4 character! This is my first attempt at a base level run for any of these games, and it hasn't really been super hard as I imagined. Not yet sure if I wanna do an all boss run now including the DLC. I can't imagine fighting even just Ludwig with base vitality and attack stats!

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Got through the Gaol area. Pretty cool but short. Veeeeery dramatic music lol, which put me on edge more than the enemies themselves. Paarl wasn't too bad, got him on my first try with the help of an NPC summon. Ludwig's Holy Blade really is becoming my go-to weapon, it's got so much powah.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
After trying to be cute with the last boss and getting my ass kicked for like 7 straight times, I won. What a great fight, even now after I've beaten this game multiple times. getting that visceral for the final blow felt amazing.

oh and of course i beat the secret final boss on the first try. goddamn does the burial blade's scythe form just regain health lile crazy. the moon presence's attack that reduces you to a sliver of health meant nothing when i rallied my entire life bar in three hits. it tried that shit again, and of course i kill it just as it executed the attack with my charged scythe attack. some cinematic shit that was!

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
beat amelia. ended up summoning an npc to help because fuckin' a that boss is a tank. it honestly felt like the easiest boss up until this point but it just took so damn long to whittle down the hp each time I'd always get impatient near the end.
Are you taking advantage of buffs? Because Amelia is very much not a tank boss. With a BBP and fire paper, (weak to fire is she) hack away at her limbs to stun her and she will go down in seconds, completely stun locked.

It helps to explore the areas either side her boss room and Hypogean Gaol too since they all have a nice bounty of twin shards, you can be +6 weapon before fighting her making her a bit of a joke boss tbh.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Got through the Gaol area. Pretty cool but short. Veeeeery dramatic music lol, which put me on edge more than the enemies themselves. Paarl wasn't too bad, got him on my first try with the help of an NPC summon. Ludwig's Holy Blade really is becoming my go-to weapon, it's got so much powah.

My favourite music of the game so far. That lantern is awesome for farming levels if you need to, the two pigs drop 3K each. It was my fo to leveling place all the way until Cainhurst.

Any opinions on whether it's worth to level up Ludwig's Holy Blade? I'm a dedicated Hunter's Axe +7 user, love spin2win. I could get the blade up to +6 immediately.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Beat Vicar Amelia and just found out that I missed my chance to get two npc's (the man and woman who are in the same street) back to the cathedral ward. Am I going to miss out on much? On my previous play through I got the ending where you use the cords so I think i'm ok with missing that particular npc, but i'm not sure if i'm going to miss out on anything else.

Also how many playthroughs are required to platinum the game? The difficulty of the chalice dungeons always put me off going too far into them, but now the population is booming I might go for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting through the serpent part of the Forbidden Woods was troublesome; It's like a jungle maze. I noped out of a giant serpent mass only to bump into 2 more. Then I had no idea where I was.

Died a few times but figured it out eventually and made my way to the Shadow of Yharnam. Fortunately, it wasn't too difficult (thank you threaded cane whip and the big gravestone). Now I have a selection of places to go: Byrgenwerth, Yosefka's Clinic or the portal to the right of the Grand Cathedral. Byrgenwerth seems like a natural progression but that insect monster just before the lamp was fucking scary, which is why I'm procrastinating.