• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Research Hall in the DLC is so spooky. I also struggle summoning any help on NG+. I really won't need it for Living Failures, but I know Maria will be a different story. I'm having a hard time running the DLC on NG+ anyway as everything packs a punch and hunters come out of fucking nowhere. Made a new character last night to just start over and run through the DLC on NG.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I don't know if you want location names or not but you get a lot of Blood Chunks in

Cainhurst Castle, Yahar'gul Unseen Village, and Nightmare of Mensis. Cainhurst is an optional area. There's also the Upper Cathedral Ward and Nightmare Frontier which are both higher level optional areas.

Make sure you kill those Scurrying Beasts too. They drop the most. If you miss them you can always reload the area.

That's awesome, thanks! I've spent crazy amounts of time farming the Unseen Village kidnappers and boars, must be a different enemy. I'm happy to go back, the area has the best music!

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, Undead Giant is giving me a ton more trouble than any of the main game bosses I've fought so far. What the hell.

Edit: Got him, I think through luck since I did a bunch of critical hits at the end to tear through his final phase.

Whoah, this is only the first level in this dungeon? And each level has a boss like this? Wow. This is going to be hard.

Last edited:

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god just beat OoK and the flaming L. L was pretty good but man that Orphan fight. I should post the video because it was an ass clenched.

That's awesome, thanks! I've spent crazy amounts of time farming the Unseen Village kidnappers and boars, must be a different enemy. I'm happy to go back, the area has the best music!

What bosses have you beaten? That may trigger different farming opportunities.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
What bosses have you beaten? That may trigger different farming opportunities.

Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Blood Starved Beast, Vicar Amelia, Witch of Hemwick, Darkbeast Paarl, Shadow of Yharnam

+

Undead Giant, Merciless Watcher, Watchdog of the Old Lords, Beast Possessed Soul

that's a lot more than I thought I had done actually, since I figured I'm pretty early in the game. I've also got to Rom and Ludwig like mentioned, but saved them for later.

Got my first Blood Chunks at the Castle of Cainhurst. Awesome area. I can't believe I had missed Iosefka's Clinic entirely. Got the letter and the ride to the castle, felt bad looking up the tip but man that is obscure.

Oct 29, 2017
Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Blood Starved Beast, Vicar Amelia, Witch of Hemwick, Darkbeast Paarl, Shadow of Yharnam

+

Undead Giant, Merciless Watcher, Watchdog of the Old Lords, Beast Possessed Soul

that's a lot more than I thought I had done actually, since I figured I'm pretty early in the game. I've also got to Rom and Ludwig like mentioned, but saved them for later.

Got my first Blood Chunks at the Castle of Cainhurst. Awesome area. I can't believe I had missed Iosefka's Clinic entirely. Got the letter and the ride to the castle, felt bad looking up the tip but man that is obscure.
Did you find the school? It's a decent farming spot for echoes and bullets

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry (not that sorry) for the double post but I'm still hyped from this DLC boss fight.

Flubbed a couple quickstep r1 moves that would've been nice thrust damage but it was a clean fight. No panic moments at all, nope. Not even close.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Beat Orphan on the first attempt with a new hunter, something I've never been able to do before like Rom. Only had a sliver of health left and one blood vial by the end of it.

When there was only a little of Orphan's health left I became a little more greedy and a little more relentless with my attacks, and it worked! I was shaking so much when I dealt that killing blow. I also managed to defeat Maria on the first attempt too. I just have Laurence left and then that's it for the DLC with this new hunter.

Also I forgot how fun the Rakuyo is.

Last edited:

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Went through the first chalice dungeon - so these things are basically a boss rush, huh? Beat Merciless Watchers on my first try, but Watchdog is straight up wrecking me. I can get him to his third phase pretty consistently but then he just gets too aggressive and it's hard to get any hits in.

Should I wait and come back to this boss later? These chalice dungeon bosses seem tougher than the main game bosses so far.

Heelpop

Oct 28, 2017
Started this a week ago & I was on the verge of binning it forever due to geting rekt by CB everytime. Picked it up last night again & FINALLY managed to beat him and goddamn the way I was jumping up & down :D :D. I co-oped Gascoigne though & feel a bit let down by that so decided I wouldn't do that until it is absolutely necessary.

In cathedral ward area now & as soon as I went out & beat those two dudes in white garb I was flung in the air with some purple light surrounding me & just died after, what's up with that?

Also is Kirkhammer worth buying? I started with a military veteran profile so currently have 14 str. I know I need to level it up to 16 to use that weapon but is it worth it? Heard middling opinions about its strike zone & slowness.

Oct 25, 2017
Guess who's got two Blades of Mercy and just lazily built up almost 115k of souls blood echoes at only Level 36?

This hunter.

Roughly, I have levels of 14-16 across the board, except for bloodtinge which is down around 9.

I am rolling (or at least trying to roll, with middling success) a Skill-based character but am wondering what to do with this excess amount of echoes. I do not want to play any more until I spend.

Level up a whole whopping ten levels, focusing on Skill? Something else?

Or spread myself out? I have reached the Forbidden Woods and need to settle on a weapon, pronto. Not sure which ones also require a healthy boost to Bloodtinge and or Arcane. I don't really like the options for scaling skill-weapons, but I'll work with what I got.

On a related matter, I looked and can now spend these blood echoes on an outrageous amount of blood stone shards from the shop (almost 60).

So really any weapon I decide on will be able to be levelled up quite fast, which is why I'm looking at diving into the DLC real quick for Simon's Bowblade/etc.

Is there a site where I can just how long the health/stamina bars increase at what level? I am very tempted to just level up my health and then focus on prospecting in the chalice dungeons, I have never ever paid much attention to them.

So far, my current load-out is:

Threaded Cane
Rifle Spear
Hunter Axe

I'm also falling back on Saw Spear, my newly acquired Blades of Mercy (they are not fortified yet), and two weapons I own but have hardly spent any time with are Ludwig's Blade and the Kirkhammer. Mainly because in my previous play-through I relied heavily on them.

Thanks!

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Went through the first chalice dungeon - so these things are basically a boss rush, huh? Beat Merciless Watchers on my first try, but Watchdog is straight up wrecking me. I can get him to his third phase pretty consistently but then he just gets too aggressive and it's hard to get any hits in.

Should I wait and come back to this boss later? These chalice dungeon bosses seem tougher than the main game bosses so far.
The Chalice Dungeons rise in difficulty the further along you get. There is a 'depth' level 1-5 [easy to hard] in the dungeon description on the tombstone. They can get quite repetitive on a first playthrough if you do them all at once, so I would say as they get a bit challenging go back to the main game and come back when you're a little further along - weapon upgrade, leveled up etc.

Watchdog reminds me a lot of Sanctuary Guardian from DS1 - Very methodical and telegraphed actions, a lot of fun to fight once you know it. The only thing you really have to watch out for is the charge, very deadly - a few bosses have this so it's worth getting good at reading it and learning to dodge it - to the side rather through it imo because the lingering hitbox can drag you along.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

If you have trouble you can go back later, the first 3 tiers of dungeons are easily overleveled once you're farther into the "story".

Nov 29, 2017
Beaufort SC
What I would give to be able to play this for the first time, again. What a truly amazing experience and then the twists towards the end was amazing. I got the platinum at the beginning of last year, but I think it may be tie to make another play through, even if it is just to give some folks a helping hand. I am envious of those who are playing your first play through. don't give up, forge ahead, and fear the old blood.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so uh, NPCs. what's the deal with them? should I just be doing what I feel like with them on a first playthrough or should I be looking stuff up to do the right thing? I hate having choices lol

Dec 6, 2017
US
So I decided to give the Beast Cutter a go and it's such a vicious weapon, I'm totally into it.

Upgraded it to +9 with fire gems, great distance and moveset on this thing.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
so uh, NPCs. what's the deal with them? should I just be doing what I feel like with them on a first playthrough or should I be looking stuff up to do the right thing? I hate having choices lol

My one gripe about Souls games is that there's so many obtuse options when it comes to character interactions, and you're never really told how important it is to interact with these characters. Bloodborne is super shady about it, but even Dark Souls III has a really obtuse development when it comes to the NPCs. I played through 2/3 of DS2 before realizing I could send the old woman in Cardinal Tower back to Majula. These games are absurd sometimes!

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
So I decided to give the Beast Cutter a go and it's such a vicious weapon, I'm totally into it.

Upgraded it to +9 with fire gems, great distance and moveset on this thing.
Hell yeah, dude! Hitting someone with the second R2 is great, even if it does eat most of your stamina bar.

I am rolling (or at least trying to roll, with middling success) a Skill-based character but am wondering what to do with this excess amount of echoes. I do not want to play any more until I spend.

Or spread myself out? I have reached the Forbidden Woods and need to settle on a weapon, pronto. Not sure which ones also require a healthy boost to Bloodtinge and or Arcane. I don't really like the options for scaling skill-weapons, but I'll work with what I got.
Sounds like a strength/skill build might be best for you. Unless you really want to focus on guns and blood weapons, or spells and arcane weapons (of which there aren't many pre-DLC), I'd say just ignore the bloodtinge and arcane stats.

Right now, I've stopped leveling at 120 and have 40vit/30end/50str/10skl/10btn/20arc. Or something like that. But that should give you an idea of what a strength-focused build looks like. You could do 30str/30skl if you don't want to commit to either and you should be fine. The stat scaling slows down a bit after 30 points anyway.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Watchdog of the Old Lords... This might be it for me. I don't want to break my TV.

Stay at a safe yet somewhat close distance right in front of his face and wait for the right/left or left/right bite attack he likes to do. Dodge through that and attack its legs. Don't get greedy and get outta there quickly. You can essentially break his armor and cause him to start oozing lava of some sorts and he'll take a ton more damage during those periods.

Not sure if you're already doing all that anyway and still hate the fucker, but I just did him with half health in the Defiled Chalice and that was my strategy mostly. I also got swipes in on his face during the bite attack but I'm also using the axe aka have the range to do so.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
don't care about trophies at all, more so about neat narrative things
Well most NPC encounters are binary with little in ways of choice. Either you meet someone and interact with them or you do not. There really is no right and wrong. You can probably finish the game without interacting with any of them.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Some NPCs do require backtracking. I pretty much missed every single NPC questline on my first playthrough because I never bothered to go back!

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah basically I found the early NPC asking for a safe place to go then I got to the cathedral and talked to whoever that thing is telling me to tell people about this place and I was like "oh neat, I'll go back and tell that NPC"

then I found another NPC asking for a safe place and I told her

now I found another NPC asking and I froze with indecision lol

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Defiled Chalice complete. Also did the Lower Loran chalice after that. So basically I have the Great Isz and Great Pthumeru Ihyll chalice to get to the Queen! Co op in this game is so fun.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Watchdog of the Old Lords... This might be it for me. I don't want to break my TV.
It's one of my favourite fights in BB I find it really satisfying, but I only ever attack his head, unless he's puking then I bolt paper up and go ham on his legs with transform attacks.

Standing mid-distance front and centre, walk in a little to bait an attack - most times it's a side swipe, dodge backwards, wait until the animation is finished and his head is just getting back to centre (this ensures he will not do a follow up attack but will reset), dodge back in and hit his head, rinse and repeat. If he does:
- Forward head attack: you are already dodging back and should be able to hit him at least once.
- Fire biting walking forward: just walk backwards and just before the final bite animation ends it's safe to attack his head (this is very similar to Sanctuary Guardian's combo in DS1)
- AoE blast: you can see it coming a mile off, GTFO.

The only things you have to be careful of is the forward dash which can one-hit kill if it's a counter attack. Learn to see the telltale sign of the animation for this and dodge to the side - lock-off if need be. This kind of goes against most other dodging tactics in BB - not dodging forward past him, as the hitbox will drag you along.

Always reposition yourself front/centre to control the space. Also try to stay in the centre of the arena so you're not backed up against a wall, especially if he charges.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Can you summon in Chalice Dungeons? I tried summoning help for Watchdog but couldn't find anyone. Ended up attempting it with an NPC summon and got wrecked.

Some bosses I enjoy fighting multiple times, but Watchdog is just a war of attrition. Not really my cup of tea.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Can you summon in Chalice Dungeons? I tried summoning help for Watchdog but couldn't find anyone. Ended up attempting it with an NPC summon and got wrecked.

Some bosses I enjoy fighting multiple times, but Watchdog is just a war of attrition. Not really my cup of tea.

Yes, summoning works the same, ringing the bell.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Guess who's got two Blades of Mercy and just lazily built up almost 115k of souls blood echoes at only Level 36?

This hunter.

Roughly, I have levels of 14-16 across the board, except for bloodtinge which is down around 9.

On a related matter, I looked and can now spend these blood echoes on an outrageous amount of blood stone shards from the shop (almost 60).

So really any weapon I decide on will be able to be levelled up quite fast, which is why I'm looking at diving into the DLC real quick for Simon's Bowblade/etc.

Is there a site where I can just how long the health/stamina bars increase at what level? I am very tempted to just level up my health and then focus on prospecting in the chalice dungeons, I have never ever paid much attention to them.

So far, my current load-out is:

Threaded Cane
Rifle Spear
Hunter Axe

I'm also falling back on Saw Spear, my newly acquired Blades of Mercy (they are not fortified yet), and two weapons I own but have hardly spent any time with are Ludwig's Blade and the Kirkhammer. Mainly because in my previous play-through I relied heavily on them.

Thanks!

It's helpful to settle on a weapon to raise as far as you can just to get the damage benefits. You want at least one that's properly scaled to the area you're in and if you level a bunch you might not have enough to get one to a higher level when you need it. In terms of stats 50 is the soft cap for most except for END which will max at 40. I would decide whether you're going to choose the blades of mercy or bowblade because the bowblade isn't that good without bloodtinge. And you'll want skill and BT very high for that.. For BoM you'll want skill to 50 and it has arcane scaling as well. The benefits of arcane is that you can use the hunter tools as well. If your stats are even right now I'd say pour those levels in skill and then a couple in vit to get it to 20. But yeah for a Bowblade build you'll want that BT waaaaay up from where it is now. I wouldn't buy a lot of shards, you should have a bunch of the blood stone and twin ones. Blood chunks and of course rocks are a little scarce. I had enough shards to get like 5 weapons to +9 before the end of the game. Blood chunks were the real barrier for me. Basically what it comes down to is find a primary damage stat you want to level and just boost it early and often then slide points in wherever you feel are lacking until you start hitting caps. This wiki page gives a rundown of when the stats drop off https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Stats

Side note: I don't know how experienced you are with the game but I've taken to explaining everything like I'm talking to a first time player so other people can get use from the posts.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stay at a safe yet somewhat close distance right in front of his face and wait for the right/left or left/right bite attack he likes to do. Dodge through that and attack its legs. Don't get greedy and get outta there quickly. You can essentially break his armor and cause him to start oozing lava of some sorts and he'll take a ton more damage during those periods.

Not sure if you're already doing all that anyway and still hate the fucker, but I just did him with half health in the Defiled Chalice and that was my strategy mostly. I also got swipes in on his face during the bite attack but I'm also using the axe aka have the range to do so.

It's one of my favourite fights in BB I find it really satisfying, but I only ever attack his head, unless he's puking then I bolt paper up and go ham on his legs with transform attacks.

Standing mid-distance front and centre, walk in a little to bait an attack - most times it's a side swipe, dodge backwards, wait until the animation is finished and his head is just getting back to centre (this ensures he will not do a follow up attack but will reset), dodge back in and hit his head, rinse and repeat. If he does:
- Forward head attack: you are already dodging back and should be able to hit him at least once.
- Fire biting walking forward: just walk backwards and just before the final bite animation ends it's safe to attack his head (this is very similar to Sanctuary Guardian's combo in DS1)
- AoE blast: you can see it coming a mile off, GTFO.

The only things you have to be careful of is the forward dash which can one-hit kill if it's a counter attack. Learn to see the telltale sign of the animation for this and dodge to the side - lock-off if need be. This kind of goes against most other dodging tactics in BB - not dodging forward past him, as the hitbox will drag you along.

Always reposition yourself front/centre to control the space. Also try to stay in the centre of the arena so you're not backed up against a wall, especially if he charges.
Thanks for the tips guys. It's a shame, completing these few dungeons is the last thing I have left for platinum, and the damn dog is making me not want to play. I went through 500 vials and about 50 tries I guess. I can dodge most of his attacks, but the problem is his insane hitpoints. The fight lasts so long that I sooner or later always mess up and die, be it for mistaking an attack for another, or simply getting too greedy.

I think I'll try again this weekend with a few beers down my throat to calm the nerves. I'll probably cry with joy if I kill the dog.

Is there anything as aggressive as the watchdog left? I found most bosses manageable so far, but the speed and small hitboxes of this one are too much for me right now.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
It's helpful to settle on a weapon to raise as far as you can just to get the damage benefits. You want at least one that's properly scaled to the area you're in and if you level a bunch you might not have enough to get one to a higher level when you need it. In terms of stats 50 is the soft cap for most except for END which will max at 40. I would decide whether you're going to choose the blades of mercy or bowblade because the bowblade isn't that good without bloodtinge. And you'll want skill and BT very high for that.. For BoM you'll want skill to 50 and it has arcane scaling as well. The benefits of arcane is that you can use the hunter tools as well. If your stats are even right now I'd say pour those levels in skill and then a couple in vit to get it to 20. But yeah for a Bowblade build you'll want that BT waaaaay up from where it is now. I wouldn't buy a lot of shards, you should have a bunch of the blood stone and twin ones. Blood chunks and of course rocks are a little scarce. I had enough shards to get like 5 weapons to +9 before the end of the game. Blood chunks were the real barrier for me. Basically what it comes down to is find a primary damage stat you want to level and just boost it early and often then slide points in wherever you feel are lacking until you start hitting caps. This wiki page gives a rundown of when the stats drop off https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Stats

Side note: I don't know how experienced you are with the game but I've taken to explaining everything like I'm talking to a first time player so other people can get use from the posts.

I'm not the person you responded to, but this is helpful. I'm planning out my build right now and so far I've dumped my points roughly like this: 23 VIT, 18 END, 22 SKL (these are rough estimates, I'm not near my PS4 right now). I'm debating whether to go SKL/STR or SKL/BLT. I like faster weapons so I'm definitely going to lean harder on the SKL tree, but I also like the idea of putting out tons of damage with my pistol to help with bosses and tougher enemies. Is SKL/BLT a sustainable build for a first-timer? I'm thinking a quick right-hand weapon like Saw Spear and an upgraded Evelyn for ranged DPS. This limits my melee options though; it seems like the only melee weapon that benefits from BLT is Chikage, and that thing seems really complex to use with its health drain.

Are there other BLT weapons that I could benefit from? Or should I just go SKL/STR?

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
wOyyBKl.gif

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the person you responded to, but this is helpful. I'm planning out my build right now and so far I've dumped my points roughly like this: 23 VIT, 18 END, 22 SKL (these are rough estimates, I'm not near my PS4 right now). I'm debating whether to go SKL/STR or SKL/BLT. I like faster weapons so I'm definitely going to lean harder on the SKL tree, but I also like the idea of putting out tons of damage with my pistol to help with bosses and tougher enemies. Is SKL/BLT a sustainable build for a first-timer? I'm thinking a quick right-hand weapon like Saw Spear and an upgraded Evelyn for ranged DPS. This limits my melee options though; it seems like the only melee weapon that benefits from BLT is Chikage, and that thing seems really complex to use with its health drain.

Are there other BLT weapons that I could benefit from? Or should I just go SKL/STR?
I don't know if I would go two physical stats. I usually just pick one to max towards 50 because then you can get a lot of benefit from an A or S tier scaling. Skl/BT is very sustainable and there's plenty of weapons that scale highly off of skill. Str might be a little more noob friendly because the weapons often have high stagger but you'll do just fine. If you want to go Str/Skl then look no further than Ludwig's Holy Blade. for a SKL/BT build you have Simon's Bowblade from the DLC, Chikage, Reiterpallasch. The bowblade gets an S in Skl and BT. The other benefit of scaling BT is your guns will do a lot especially the Evelyn when your BT is 25+.

What chest piece is that? Cape looks sick. Also I notice how the color scheme of the game makes the reds pop so well. Looks great.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I would go two physical stats. I usually just pick one to max towards 50 because then you can get a lot of benefit from an A or S tier scaling. Skl/BT is very sustainable and there's plenty of weapons that scale highly off of skill. Str might be a little more noob friendly because the weapons often have high stagger but you'll do just fine. If you want to go Str/Skl then look no further than Ludwig's Holy Blade. for a SKL/BT build you have Simon's Bowblade from the DLC, Chikage, Reiterpallasch. The bowblade gets an S in Skl and BT. The other benefit of scaling BT is your guns will do a lot especially the Evelyn when your BT is 25+.

What chest piece is that? Cape looks sick. Also I notice how the color scheme of the game makes the reds pop so well. Looks great.
Part of the Knight's Set.
I actually made a little colour edit to make the red pop a little more compared to the original capture. :D

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the Knight's Set.
I actually made a little colour edit to make the red pop a little more compared to the original capture. :D

I just remember that I've gotten pretty coated in blood over the course of a level and I was glistening. You miss that extra color when fighting like Kin and other things that bleed like gray or whatever. Do you take out the UI or are there menu options for that or through cropping or something? I like to take screenshots but without a robust photo mode it doesn't look great with all the UI elements included.