• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
Hi, thanks for the suggestion of playing it offline, I'll try it out to see if I can get more relevant notes. I "talked" to maybe two people (knocked on doors), but it mostly seemed like "flavor text", but I'll give that a shot as well.

It's not the dudes on the bridge that are the problem, I just let the big firewall take them down, and not even the big guy at the end of the bridge, he's slow and easy enough, it's the two after the bridge, just before the boss, one's got a long assed spear with massive range, and ability to knock you down, one hit from that and I'm "stunned" and dead. I'm going to try sneaking past them on my next try.

Alrighty, I'm going to give the game a few more goes, I'll see if trying to change my mindset helps, but it really does hurt, every single mob respawns so you have to make your way back through lots of them, you loose all your blood gems, which means no upgrades, so you can't get stronger to get a bit of an edge. but yeah, I'll give it another few goes.

You can run right past them as you can with most enemies in the game. A really easy way to clear the bridge is go down the elevator, then go down the ladder next to the elevator, run through tunnel past the boar, climb up ladder. Most of the time the fatty will damage himself setting off the giant ball and only needs 1 hit. Watch to see if he gets knocked back. If he doesn't fall over just ignore him and run to the boss.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Don't do em! The only root chalices you may be interested in doing are the ones labeled "depth 5." From the top of my head they are ihyll, lower loran, and isz. This is something you can start doing after fighting

Queen yharnam

Ignore all the other crap the game throws at you :D

The Root chalice dungeons are randomized versions of the main chalice dungeon type. Personally, I don't bother with them if I'm just running through the game - there are more chalice dungeons than is needed to get to the final chalice dungeon for the end boss. You can get burned out on them if you're doing every single one on a first playthrough because they're quite repetitive, especially if you're doing Root ones as well.

Thanks guys, sounds clear to me. I've ignore them for now.

Jyester

Oct 27, 2017
Now that it's free on PS+, I decided to finally break out the GOTY edition from my backlog. Love it so far. I slaughtered the second main boss (
Blood-Starved Beast
) and explored the
Healing Church
. This is my first Souls-like, and I'm blow away.

One thing I haven't quite figured out: how do I pull off a visceral attack from the back? I understand that you have to hold R2 and follow this up with R1? I cannot seem to get the timing right.

Oct 30, 2017
Now that it's free on PS+, I decided to finally break out the GOTY edition from my backlog. Love it so far. I slaughtered the second main boss (
Blood-Starved Beast
) and explored the
Healing Church
. This is my first Souls-like, and I'm blow away.

One thing I haven't quite figured out: how do I pull off a visceral attack from the back? I understand that you have to hold R2 and follow this up with R1? I cannot seem to get the timing right.
You do follow up with R1. But wait a second. Let the stun animation finish.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Is there somewhere a quantitative description of how the game difficulty changes from one New Game Plus to subsequent New Game Plus Pluses? I have heard a lot of vague observations, but I want to see the numbers.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Alrighty, I'm going to give the game a few more goes, I'll see if trying to change my mindset helps, but it really does hurt, every single mob respawns so you have to make your way back through lots of them, you loose all your blood gems, which means no upgrades, so you can't get stronger to get a bit of an edge. but yeah, I'll give it another few goes.

Like I said, this is the mentality that you need to change (which is very hard, I'll admit). The thing about leveling up in this game is that yes, if you die you lose souls and can't level up. However if you play a level long enough, EVENTUALLY you will get to a lantern, which means EVENTUALLY you will have enough souls to level up. I was having a hell of a time even just getting to the Cleric Beast without getting my ass handed to me, so I decided to grind the area between the lantern and the boss. I would spawn at the lantern, run through the house killing the enemies, get to the bridge and kill the werewolves, then run back to the lantern, respawn the area, and do it all again.

I died a lot at the beginning and lost so many souls, but eventually I leveled up maybe 3-4 times doing this. More importantly this part of the level became SO EASY for me because I had grinded it so much. It used to terrify me, but now I can run through it with my eyes closed. After that the run to Father G was giving me conniptions, so I did the same thing - just grinded it over and over, and now I can get through those two wolf men you are having trouble with like it's nobody's business. Hint: walk slowly so they don't hear you, backstab one, then learn how to parry the second one (this will take 5-10 deaths because the timing is tricky). Don't be afraid to waste bullets practicing parrying because you can always buy more bullets from the Hunters Dream using souls that you can grind. It might take you 10+ runs until you feel comfortable fighting them, but that will happen eventually, and they will no longer scare you.

This is what I mean when I say I approach the game with a grinding mentality. I'm not expecting to get to the next lantern when I sit down for a session, only to make very small progress on one particular part of a level (maybe even just learning how to deal with one event). With this approach you will eventually make progress, but the nice thing is all the deaths you accumulate won't bother you at all because that's what grinding is all about (doing the same thing over and over again).

It might take me 100 hours to beat the game instead of 50, but I'd rather spend 100 stress-free hours with the game than 50 stressful hours.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Anyone online who can help me with Martyr?
I'm right outside his area at level 54

Edit never mind

Edit oh top of the page, uhm. Can't wait to start the DLC. ;)

Last edited:

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Like I said, this is the mentality that you need to change (which is very hard, I'll admit). The thing about leveling up in this game is that yes, if you die you lose souls and can't level up. However if you play a level long enough, EVENTUALLY you will get to a lantern, which means EVENTUALLY you will have enough souls to level up. I was having a hell of a time even just getting to the Cleric Beast without getting my ass handed to me, so I decided to grind the area between the lantern and the boss. I would spawn at the lantern, run through the house killing the enemies, get to the bridge and kill the werewolves, then run back to the lantern, respawn the area, and do it all again.

I died a lot at the beginning and lost so many souls, but eventually I leveled up maybe 3-4 times doing this. More importantly this part of the level became SO EASY for me because I had grinded it so much. It used to terrify me, but now I can run through it with my eyes closed. After that the run to Father G was giving me conniptions, so I did the same thing - just grinded it over and over, and now I can get through those two wolf men you are having trouble with like it's nobody's business. Hint: walk slowly so they don't hear you, backstab one, then learn how to parry the second one (this will take 5-10 deaths because the timing is tricky). Don't be afraid to waste bullets practicing parrying because you can always buy more bullets from the Hunters Dream using souls that you can grind. It might take you 10+ runs until you feel comfortable fighting them, but that will happen eventually, and they will no longer scare you.

This is what I mean when I say I approach the game with a grinding mentality. I'm not expecting to get to the next lantern when I sit down for a session, only to make very small progress on one particular part of a level (maybe even just learning how to deal with one event). With this approach you will eventually make progress, but the nice thing is all the deaths you accumulate won't bother you at all because that's what grinding is all about (doing the same thing over and over again).

It might take me 100 hours to beat the game instead of 50, but I'd rather spend 100 stress-free hours with the game than 50 stressful hours.

I think this captures the very essence of what made Bloodborne click for me on my third attempt over the years.

This time around, I am not worried of not getting forwards, rather I start from a lantern and push as far as I can on a single life. At the Hypogean Gaol, it's just the first kidnapper at first. Even killing it takes a few tries. Then the kidnapper behind it. And eventually the boar outside. Then a second one. Little by little I push outwards, collecting some echoes and a lot of items in the process. Eventually the kidnapper, that once seemed brutal, becomes just another enemy, and I manage to push all the way to a door that unlocks an alleyway past the kidnappers in the future. That satisfying grind is the essence of the fun.

For the first time in a game, I am actually not concerned about progressing in the main story. Instead I search all the areas carefully, return to areas, jump into Chalice Dungeons, not to proceed, but because the act of grind has become so enjoyable. And while I remain at the same areas, I come to appreciate things like the gothic architecture, and end up watching YouTube videos about gothic architecture.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ran through some of the DLC to get the Bowblade (sorry I had to kill you Simon) and I just completely wrecked Amygdala with the bow form of it by constantly targeting the head. That was fun lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
As I snagged a free complete edition (physical) of this months ago and player it, I need to finish it.

Thing is, I don't even know where or what I was doing. I killed some boss that was like to it three stories tall (my memory is bad) and I did some chalice dungeon runs (which I think made me bored which is why I put it down).

How do I know where to go when I pick this up again?

Also if you let ps+ run out but but the dlc for the free digital one - you lose access to the game right (digitally)?

Fixed some stuff I wrote while I was in bed waking up >.>

Last edited:

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
As I snagged a free complete edition (physical) of this month ago and player it, I need to finish it.

Thing is, vi don't even know where or what u was doing. I killed some boss that was like to it three stories tall (my memory is bad) and I did some chalice dungeon runs (which I think made me bored which is why I put it down).

How do I know where to go when I pick this up again?

Also if you let ps+ run out but but the dlc for the free digital one - you lose access to the game right (digitally)?
Check out the tomb stones to see what lanterns you have unlocked.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I have a dumb question.
My sister has this from Plus. Could she put my disc in (GotY version), grab the Boom Hammer from DLC, then continue with the Plus version (no DLC)?

hinryu

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Can someone give me the basic rundown on chalice dungeons? There's this spreadsheet on the wiki where you can join dungeons with glyphs but it's saying that I don't meet the requirements?

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing a lot these past couple days. By a lot, I mean "a lot." like, four hours maybe haha.

I really hate the Father G battle. He's so tough for me. I got him down this last time (6th try?) to the last quarter of health, but the second phase is just so freaking brutal. I decided to walk away and ended up walking to the Cleric Beast. Slaughtered that thing first try. I'm stunned at how different the difficulty is between them.

Overall. Ive made most progress through central Yahrnam by running by enemies. Make progress come along a lot faster. I do love this game. Actually nice to play along side Dark Souls 3. :3

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I started playing a lot these past couple days. By a lot, I mean "a lot." like, four hours maybe haha.

I really hate the Father G battle. He's so tough for me. I got him down this last time (6th try?) to the last quarter of health, but the second phase is just so freaking brutal. I decided to walk away and ended up walking to the Cleric Beast. Slaughtered that thing first try. I'm stunned at how different the difficulty is between them.

Overall. Ive made most progress through central Yahrnam by running by enemies. Make progress come along a lot faster. I do love this game. Actually nice to play along side Dark Souls 3. :3

Stay close to Father G and use a fast weapon. If you stay close you can dodge around him pretty easily when he swings. In his second form use a longer weapon since you want a little distance. Third phase use the music box and get a backstab on him.

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
I have a dumb question.
My sister has this from Plus. Could she put my disc in (GotY version), grab the Boom Hammer from DLC, then continue with the Plus version (no DLC)?

I don't see why not. In fact, I'm pretty sure once she activates one of the lamps for the DLC maps, it'll stay open no matter what version of the app she runs.

I remember posting something about this on the other forum, but for people who are extra obsessed with souls games and want some more atmosphere in the room, you can lit up this candle:

12172291_10350361_322.jpg

That is if you don't mind squandering your whole budget on scented candles (a resetera meme apparently). Anyway, it's the Cire Trudon candle labeled Spiritus Sancti, and it reeks of church incense. In the world of Bloodborne, incense is the stuff that masks the odor of blood, sweat, and beastly fur. Brings the game to a whole new level for me.

If you want to spray this kind of smell all over yourself, look no further than:

375x500.1230.jpg

you can thank me later.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so bloodborne's a good game. first playthrough for me after recently having dark souls click after a few tries of trying to get into it throughout the years

I just beat the first boss and got wrecked by the second boss. the level design so far is amazing. running around for the first time I honestly didn't really like it, it felt like with the branching paths that whatever way I chose I'd be missing out on stuff. then I kept pushing forward and exploring and man, the interconnectivity is amazing. I don't want to say samey but for a level where a lot of the environments and architecture are so similar feeling each area is so distinct. makes it really easy to navigate once you've been everywhere. wherever I am I know how to get to pretty much anywhere else in the level. that's been the major standout for me so far. the combat is great too. I've actually got the gun parry thing down pretty well so that's nice. I literally never parry in dark souls because I could never figure out the timing. following up on a gun parry feels so good. the sound design for that is great. I don't even want to use the word satisfying because it honestly feels kind of unnerving. it feels like I'm brutally murdering these monsters instead of pulling off some satisfying video game shit, if that makes any sense.

yeah, good stuff so far. rolling with the axe which I love. I was a big fan of the halberds in dark souls so having the axe basically be a two-in-one axe and halberd is really nice.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
so bloodborne's a good game. first playthrough for me after recently having dark souls click after a few tries of trying to get into it throughout the years

I just beat the first boss and got wrecked by the second boss. the level design so far is amazing. running around for the first time I honestly didn't really like it, it felt like with the branching paths that whatever way I chose I'd be missing out on stuff. then I kept pushing forward and exploring and man, the interconnectivity is amazing. I don't want to say samey but for a level where a lot of the environments and architecture are so similar feeling each area is so distinct. makes it really easy to navigate once you've been everywhere. wherever I am I know how to get to pretty much anywhere else in the level. that's been the major standout for me so far. the combat is great too. I've actually got the gun parry thing down pretty well so that's nice. I literally never parry in dark souls because I could never figure out the timing. following up on a gun parry feels so good. the sound design for that is great. I don't even want to use the word satisfying because it honestly feels kind of unnerving. it feels like I'm brutally murdering these monsters instead of pulling off some satisfying video game shit, if that makes any sense.

yeah, good stuff so far. rolling with the axe which I love. I was a big fan of the halberds in dark souls so having the axe basically be a two-in-one axe and halberd is really nice.
Yea the level design is really my personal highlight.

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
Can someone give me the basic rundown on chalice dungeons? There's this spreadsheet on the wiki where you can join dungeons with glyphs but it's saying that I don't meet the requirements?

Are you going after those powerful weapon gems from the spreadsheet? Those are usually locked down in the very last chalices you can obtain. This is the run-down of the chalices if anyone's interested:

Pthumeru Labyrinth > Central Pthumeru > Lower Pthumeru > Ailing Loran > Cursed/Defiled Pthumeru > Isz (alternatively, Lower Loran) > Pthumery Ihyll

I wouldn't worry about looking for glyphs before finishing the entire chalice quest.

hinryu

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Are you going after those powerful weapon gems from the spreadsheet? Those are usually locked down in the very last chalices you can obtain. This is the run-down of the chalices if anyone's interested:

Pthumeru Labyrinth > Central Pthumeru > Lower Pthumeru > Ailing Loran > Cursed/Defiled Pthumeru > Isz (alternatively, Lower Loran) > Pthumery Ihyll

I wouldn't worry about looking for glyphs before finishing the entire chalice quest.

Alright that explains a few things, thanks.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why not. In fact, I'm pretty sure once she activates one of the lamps for the DLC maps, it'll stay open no matter what version of the app she runs.

I remember posting something about this on the other forum, but for people who are extra obsessed with souls games and want some more atmosphere in the room, you can lit up this candle:

12172291_10350361_322.jpg

That is if you don't mind squandering your whole budget on scented candles (a resetera meme apparently). Anyway, it's the Cire Trudon candle labeled Spiritus Sancti, and it reeks of church incense. In the world of Bloodborne, incense is the stuff that masks the odor of blood, sweat, and beastly fur. Brings the game to a whole new level for me.

If you want to spray this kind of smell all over yourself, look no further than:

375x500.1230.jpg

you can thank me later.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm loving the Bowblade. There's just something really fun and nice about attacking enemies up close with the sword form, but then shooting really powerful arrows with the bow form, especially bigger enemies and some bosses. Easily took down Ebrietas by constantly shooting at the head.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017

I agree about the parrying. Never bothered with it in dark souls because if you whiffed you lost your shield protection, so the risk/reward was never in your favor. Here you don't have a shield, so being able to parry properly really gives you a huge advantage. I'm really enjoying the switch up in the gameplay.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Then I changed my "goal" to grinding the level. Basically my purpose now in any new area isn't to get to the next checkpoint, but to learn the level really well. This means I'll run out without much caution, see what enemies I come up against, fight them recklessly, learn their moves, and probably die. Then I'll run back out, but this time I know what enemies I'll face. I'll probably still die, but by the fifth or tenth time I'll know that small area and those enemies so well that I'll be able to run through it with my eyes closed. At that point I'll probably start progressing father into the level and will hit a checkpoint eventually.

Dying and losing souls shouldn't be viewed as a punishment, but a mechanic. Once you embrace death as a commonplace occurrence, the game actually becomes easier because you start doing suicide runs just to see what's up ahead. Dying no longer hurts.

That's the opposite of how I went on my first playthrough. I approached each area carefully, inspecting every corner, and defeating all the enemies, except those large ones with an axe, which I dealt with when I had unlocked shortcuts. By doing so, I managed to retrieve all the Blood Echoes in the woods, after I died before the first shortcut a couple of times, when I returned to the location with the same careful approach. I ended up getting the triple amount of echoes I originally had as a result. Dying in the sewers of Central Yharnam also teached me to look elsewhere first, if one of the branches on the path had more formidable enemies.

I very much agree, that dying and losing echoes shouldn't be seen as failing, because you improve your skills and learn the areas in the process. In the end, that helps you to deal with what the game throws at you later on.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I'm now L59 and I have used essetially all my upgrades to Vitality. It seems to work for me, but I was thinking, should I start to pump up Strength too?

I'm

V49
E16
S19
S10
B07
A08

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Okay, I'm loving the Bowblade. There's just something really fun and nice about attacking enemies up close with the sword form, but then shooting really powerful arrows with the bow form, especially bigger enemies and some bosses. Easily took down Ebrietas by constantly shooting at the head.

Lawrence is a cakewalk as well, FYI.

Where the bowblade gets trickier is monsters where the arrows don't give a tangible benefit like Orphan or some monsters in the chalice dungeons. The lack of reach on the blade form makes for some really up-close and intense melee battles. Defiled Watchdog, for example, was a bit of a slog. Orphan and Maria were absolutely nuts (especially on NG+).

I'm now L59 and I have used essetially all my upgrades to Vitality. It seems to work for me, but I was thinking, should I start to pump up Strength too?

I'm

V49
E16
S19
S10
B07
A08

Entirely dependent on the weapon(s) you're using. If it scales with STR, it's obvious. If it doesn't, you'd need to prioritize enough to let you at least equip the weapon(s) you want and then focus your stats into whatever scales with your weapon(s).

edit: Side note, I've never actually farmed for powerful gems in any of my playthroughs. I imagine they're useful for PvP and NG+++ and beyond runs (and maybe speedrunning?) but eh.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I just downloaded this having not played it in 3 years, thankfully there was no issue with my save.

I finished the game last time so I started it in NG+. I'm level 105 and used my insight to buy the crafting material to make my Lugwig Sword +10.

Quick question for y'all, how much harder is NG+? I want to play thru it, as last time i missed the upper cathedral Ward and Cainhurst. I'm not particularly skillfull at these games so if it's mucj harder I might not be able for it.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I just downloaded this having not played it in 3 years, thankfully there was no issue with my save.

I finished the game last time so I started it in NG+. I'm level 105 and used my insight to buy the crafting material to make my Lugwig Sword +10.

Quick question for y'all, how much harder is NG+? I want to play thru it, as last time i missed the upper cathedral Ward and Cainhurst. I'm not particularly skillfull at these games so if it's mucj harder I might not be able for it.
You'll be fine. Just be mindful how much damage you're taking off opponents and level up accordingly. Also that's what NG+ is for! Visiting all the places you missed on your first go round. Also not fucking up any NPC quest you may have the first time.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
You'll be fine. Just be mindful how much damage you're taking off opponents and level up accordingly. Also that's what NG+ is for! Visiting all the places you missed on your first go round. Also not fucking up any NPC quest you may have the first time.
It's a bit overwhelming as I can barely remember anything about the game. Would you say NG+ is similar to the difficulty of the first play through? I'd imagine the harder enemies is off set by the player level.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's a bit overwhelming as I can barely remember anything about the game. Would you say NG+ is similar to the difficulty of the first play through? I'd imagine the harder enemies is off set by the player level.
I'd say it's the same. You may have more insight gained since this is your NG+ and therefore enemies may be tougher. But honestly I don't think there's that much of difference.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'd say it's the same. You may have more insight gained since this is your NG+ and therefore enemies may be tougher. But honestly I don't think there's that much of difference.
That's what I needed to hear, many thanks!

BB was my first soulsborne game and I had some real difficulty with it. I might take the time to summon people this time around, I played offline previously as I didn't want to be invaded.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Just bought the old hunters. 7 euros seems like a good deal. At what point should I attempt the new area? Was gonna wait until after Rom

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
beat the second boss. shit was awesome. got the side step/dodge thing down pretty well and was just zipping in and out of his attacks. did some side stuff. sadness. now I'm in old yharnam. this game's environments are on another level.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Why is the best side quest / optional / missable content guide right now? This is for NG+4 so I only need one with the key info.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just beat Ebrietas first try on NG+ with the Beast Claws(and rune) and it's such a fuckin rush, holy shit. Getting right in there and tanking swings as you rip her to shreds with nearly your barehands, its so visceral. UGH I love this game so much

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Honestly wouldn't do the DLC until reaching TBO or Wet Nurse personally (in regular NG). It's end game stuff. But I always go there asap (after Amelia) just for the chunks.

edit - TBO = TOR, lol. Fucking abbreviations!

Last edited: