• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Those Merciless Watchers are merciless.

I've come very close a few times now albeit with the gun. Now trying to do it without vials and bullets (too lazy too farm atm). I just lure the 3 bastards to the mid-level and sprint to the top and do a drop attack (on 2 if I'm lucky). Clumsy tactic but I'll do it eventually... That one with the gun can go do one though. Makes it worse that he aims like a granny lol.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Thanks for the tips everybody finally got past Defiled Amygdala. If anybody else is struggling here's my fight.

Had about 3 runs when he did the jump it crushed me in 1 hit. Not sure what I was doing wrong some posts I saw said stay by the left arm which worked well cause I could do the damage and yup he couldn't really hit me and most jumps would miss me but occasionally I'd stay still during the jump and he'd land right on me so I decided to stay behind and go for the tail.

He would still land right on top of me whereas one of the videos I watched the guy was whammying the tail from behind and it was almost comical Amygdala would jump ahead and he'd just chase it and whip at it's tail not sure what I did wrong but in the end I got there!

Fucking phew! Next boss was Brainsucker holy shit what a step down!

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I've been watching ENB's let's play alongside my playthrough (i.e., after exploring Central Yharnam and dying a bunch I'll watch his video of Central Yharnam), and it's been pretty helpful in pointing me towards items, NPCs, and shortcuts that I might have missed. For instance I totally missed Eileen and the music box, so I'm gonna grab those tonight before facing off against the Cleric Beast again.

I also learned that shop items get more expensive as the game progresses, so I'm going to grind up 5,400 blood echoes and just purchase 600 blood vials so I don't have to worry about them ever again. I may do the same thing with Quicksilver Bullets too. I don't like the feeling of worrying that I'm "parrying too much" or "using too many blood vials" in an encounter, so a little bit of grinding will give me peace of mind.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching ENB's let's play alongside my playthrough (i.e., after exploring Central Yharnam and dying a bunch I'll watch his video of Central Yharnam), and it's been pretty helpful in pointing me towards items, NPCs, and shortcuts that I might have missed. For instance I totally missed Eileen and the music box, so I'm gonna grab those tonight before facing off against the Cleric Beast again.

I also learned that shop items get more expensive as the game progresses, so I'm going to grind up 5,400 blood echoes and just purchase 600 blood vials so I don't have to worry about them ever again. I may do the same thing with Quicksilver Bullets too. I don't like the feeling of worrying that I'm "parrying too much" or "using too many blood vials" in an encounter, so a little bit of grinding will give me peace of mind.

I just fought him 5 minutes ago and destroyed him after he handed me my ass 3 times yesterday lol. It's amazing with this game how taking a break and coming back with a clear head is so effective, and the feeling you get after success is unmatched and why i love these games so much.

Not sure what weapon you have, but im using threaded cane. Use the whip mode (since it does extra beast damage) and DONT lock on and get close and stay as close as you can and wail on him. You'll stun him at times and score extra hits. When you see him winding up or if he manages to get distance, back off for a minute and use that time to heal. Then just keep staying close and keep wailing on him. Any minor hits he does on you, youll gain the health back right away since youll hit him right after. Once he starts moving around alot more at the end when his life is low, keep your distance and when he gets somewhat close, lock on and throw a molotov cocktail. He's really weak to fire. I had him at less than half health and he was dead in two molotov cocktails to finish the battle.

Good luck!

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I just fought him 5 minutes ago and destroyed him after he handed me my ass 3 times yesterday lol. It's amazing with this game how taking a break and coming back with a clear head is so effective, and the feeling you get after success is unmatched and why i love these games so much.

Not sure what weapon you have, but im using threaded cane. Use the whip mode (since it does extra beast damage) and DONT lock on and get close and stay as close as you can and wail on him. You'll stun him at times and score extra hits. When you see him winding up or if he manages to get distance, back off for a minute and use that time to heal. Then just keep staying close and keep wailing on him. Any minor hits he does on you, youll gain the health back right away since youll hit him right after. Once he starts moving around alot more at the end when his life is low, keep your distance and when he gets somewhat close, lock on and throw a molotov cocktail. He's really weak to fire. I had him at less than half health and he was dead in two molotov cocktails to finish the battle.

Good luck!

Yeah I'm using the cane too. Great weapon. Will give this all a shot tonight. I think my issue was locking on, which made it near impossible to figure what the hell was going on in the fight.

I guess FROM hasn't been able to solve the scariest thing about the Souls games: the freaking camera.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made it to Rom. Hopefully Rom doesn't give me too much trouble because it always feels like that's the one boss in the game I usually struggle with. Most of the other ones aren't as bad.

Oct 25, 2017
...No one else willing to help me to defeat Rom in Central Phumeru Chalice? I do need the coop for creating a division from it.

Never mind, I finally beaten it with the help of coop.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
As bad as Defiled was fucking Pthumerian Descendant was straight bullshit. Dude just throwing his shotel through the pillars or stun locking you.
At least Amygdala you can cheese through his bullshit

Yeah, that's by far the hardest boss in the whole game for me, DLC included. Although, the DLC's optional boss was impossible for me on NG+, even with Valtr.

I finally beat PD, when I learned the parry timing for him, and backstabbed him when he was charging for the last phase. Pretty much the same way I beat Logarius.

Those Merciless Watchers are merciless.

I've come very close a few times now albeit with the gun. Now trying to do it without vials and bullets (too lazy too farm atm). I just lure the 3 bastards to the mid-level and sprint to the top and do a drop attack (on 2 if I'm lucky). Clumsy tactic but I'll do it eventually... That one with the gun can go do one though. Makes it worse that he aims like a granny lol.

Wait until you come across with the naked one...

The Watchers are pretty easy to parry, and a weapon with good reach works well against the gun-wielding one.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My latest playthrough complete, covered all the areas and bosses I've missed previously including
Moon Prescence

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
Figured I would jump into the DLC as I'm 75 and the gate has just opened up in the Dream, so figure I'm getting towards the point of no return.

Holy. Moly.

The DLC feels wayyyy harder than the normal game - yeowch.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
My latest playthrough complete, covered all the areas and bosses I've missed previously including
Moon Prescence

I completely missed the UCW
Upper Cathedral Ward
on my first playthrough. Looking forward to playing through it with a non-NG+ character. My tendency to explore and kill every thing at least once gets me super overleveled so my NG+ playthroughs were a breeze. I wanna get beat up a little.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I completely missed the UCW
Upper Cathedral Ward
on my first playthrough. Looking forward to playing through it with a non-NG+ character. My tendency to explore and kill every thing at least once gets me super overleveled so my NG+ playthroughs were a breeze. I wanna get beat up a little.

I missed quite a few areas, that included ! It honestly astonishes me how much of the game is entirely optional/missable.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I'm debating what type of build to go for on my very first playthrough. I played DS1 and DS2 with a strength character, and in DS3 I went with a Pyromancer/skill hybrid, which I really enjoyed. I liked having quick attacks up close and the ability to back up and use fireballs when things got hairy. However there's no real magic per se in Bloodborne, so I'm wondering what I should do.

I would love to do another hybrid character here, but the issue is I don't really know what Arcane or Bloodtinge do. BT is guns I think? But aren't guns only used for parrying? So what's the point of leveling that up? And I have no idea what Arcane even is, so I'm wary of dumping any points into it.

Would a Skill/Bloodtinge build be viable? What would I even do with Bloodtinge though? Parry more often? I'm so confused lol.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm debating what type of build to go for on my very first playthrough. I played DS1 and DS2 with a strength character, and in DS3 I went with a Pyromancer/skill hybrid, which I really enjoyed. I liked having quick attacks up close and the ability to back up and use fireballs when things got hairy. However there's no real magic per se in Bloodborne, so I'm wondering what I should do.

I would love to do another hybrid character here, but the issue is I don't really know what Arcane or Bloodtinge do. BT is guns I think? But aren't guns only used for parrying? So what's the point of leveling that up? And I have no idea what Arcane even is, so I'm wary of dumping any points into it.

Would a Skill/Bloodtinge build be viable? What would I even do with Bloodtinge though? Parry more often? I'm so confused lol.
There are weapons that scale with BT and ARC, there's the hunter tools for arcane and guns who can deal decent damage too.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Bloodtinge increases the damage of your guns. Some weapons will scale off it though. Arcane increases the damage of certain tools you find and some weapons scale off of it. You can also apply elemental blood gems to convert the damage to fire, arcane, or bolt and turn the scaling to arcane. I have not explored tat aspect much though. Str or Skill are your physical damage stats. Tried to keep it spoiler free.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
There are weapons that scale with BT and ARC, there's the hunter tools for arcane and guns who can deal decent damage too.

Bloodtinge increases the damage of your guns. Some weapons will scale off it though. Arcane increases the damage of certain tools you find and some weapons scale off of it. You can also apply elemental blood gems to convert the damage to fire, arcane, or bolt and turn the scaling to arcane. I have not explored tat aspect much though. Str or Skill are your physical damage stats. Tried to keep it spoiler free.

So could I go SKL/ARC as a newbie to the game and be OK? Ideally leveling SKL first until I get gems or tools, then leveling ARC? Or would you recommend I stick to SKL/STR?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goodbye
Micolash
hello
Wet Nurse.
What a ride. What a lair!

I made it to Rom. Hopefully Rom doesn't give me too much trouble because it always feels like that's the one boss in the game I usually struggle with. Most of the other ones aren't as bad.
I gleefully summoned and then in turn assisted for this one, I found it very mean. Gave me a hell.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
So could I go SKL/ARC as a newbie to the game and be OK? Ideally leveling SKL first until I get gems or tools, then leveling ARC? Or would you recommend I stick to SKL/STR?

For a first time character I'd recommend picking a physical damage stat (str/Skill) to boost first and then pick a secondary damage stat to eventually get to like 20 or so depending on how much you want to play. I think it would be toug to go BT or Arc as your primary the first go around because their best items come later while the starting weapons can scale from str or skill. Since you've played previous souls games you might be able to swing it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As bad as Defiled was fucking Pthumerian Descendant was straight bullshit. Dude just throwing his shotel through the pillars or stun locking you.
At least Amygdala you can cheese through his bullshit

He's one of the few bosses in Souls where strafing/fudging left doesn't work. Gotta dodge right. The other boss is Sulyvahn in DS3. Once you do that, his first phase isn't too bad. Second phase you try to get that backstab spam on him if possible, depends on the weapon.

His throw attack is bullshit though.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna quote myself again from another topic, cuz I'm getting through it for the first time and wanted to talk about the DLC a bit:

So I've now cleared through the first three bosses of The Old Hunters and am stuck on the pale one that seems to use part of its own placenta as a weapon. That's fucked up.

I want to post this video of my fight with Maria because it shows exactly why the aggressive combat design in Bloodborne works:

This was my second ever attempt at her. Over the course of this fight you can see just how valuable stunlocking is (incredibly so in the first phase, but she starts teleporting away in later ones), how important dodging in to the attack is (especially with the wild hitboxes of the flame trails), and the fucking intensity of being one hit away from death with no blood vials. Going into the third phase I thought this run was a wash, but I got lucky right towards the end with a half dozen clean hits in but damn, what a nail biter.

Great as Maria was, I still think I prefer Ludwig. And this Orphan of Kos is a dick.

Oct 25, 2017

Good luck!

Is there any reason I should have a back-up weapon(s) for some bosses? I'm coming off a strength-based mentality where big things die quick hahah. This skill-based strategy is very different, I'm enjoying the learning curve.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Is there any reason I should have a back-up weapon(s) for some bosses? I'm coming off a strength-based mentality where big things die quick hahah. This skill-based strategy is very different, I'm enjoying the learning curve.
Nah but since BB doesn't have equip load and there's enough materials (with the DLC and chalice dungeons at least) to comfortably upgrade weapons to +9 or +10 in one playthrough it's worth having two equipped just to deal with different threats differently.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I'm too high to match then. Sorry!

If you can, definitely get a weapon that can transform to be long and try for overhead strikes on the head, then do a visceral attack. That boss is a pushover at that point.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
Fml.. had about 5 guys come in to help with nightmare of mensis. Didn't make it past the scholar.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice if you combo into the bloodletters transformation (R1 then L1) if the transformation attack hits you pretty much rally back all the health lost

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Whew, finally finished the DLC for the first time and then getting the other endings, two years less a month to my first time finishing it. One-shotted the last bosses with a single vial pool. Feels pretty damn good.

The DLC is great, btw. I can see Dark Souls 3 experiments in there. Some fun level design and that first boss is maybe the best in the whole Soulsborne franchise.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Ah, I'm too high to match then. Sorry!

If you can, definitely get a weapon that can transform to be long and try for overhead strikes on the head, then do a visceral attack. That boss is a pushover at that point.

In case y'all didn't know, the password system bypasses the level requirements for summoning. The person being summoned via password will just have their stats scaled down to match the host.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goodbye
Micolash
hello
Wet Nurse.
What a ride. What a lair!

I gleefully summoned and then in turn assisted for this one, I found it very mean. Gave me a hell.
Yeah, Rom has almost always given me trouble. I actually managed to complete the fight on my first try, which I've never been able to do before on a new character since it usually takes me a couple of attempts. Once you kill the little spiders, focusing on Rom isn't too bad. I just ran in whenever there was an opening and did like two hits before running out and repeating that until it was over.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Dove back in tonight and woo, accomplished more than I expected. Cleaned up all the remaining items in Central Yharnam, opened up 2 shortcuts, found the last 2 NPCs in the area, found the Saw Spear, and beat Cleric Beast on my first try today (after dying twice yesterday). I've always thought people were exaggerating when talking about the boss adrenaline rush, but my heart was beating pretty hard when he finally went down. Definitely a rush. Checked my save file and I've played 4.5 hours so far, which is insane considering I just beat the first boss. This game feels like a big one.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Gonna quote myself again from another topic, cuz I'm getting through it for the first time and wanted to talk about the DLC a bit:

So I've now cleared through the first three bosses of The Old Hunters and am stuck on the pale one that seems to use part of its own placenta as a weapon. That's fucked up.

I want to post this video of my fight with Maria because it shows exactly why the aggressive combat design in Bloodborne works:

This was my second ever attempt at her. Over the course of this fight you can see just how valuable stunlocking is (incredibly so in the first phase, but she starts teleporting away in later ones), how important dodging in to the attack is (especially with the wild hitboxes of the flame trails), and the fucking intensity of being one hit away from death with no blood vials. Going into the third phase I thought this run was a wash, but I got lucky right towards the end with a half dozen clean hits in but damn, what a nail biter.

Great as Maria was, I still think I prefer Ludwig. And this Orphan of Kos is a dick.

When you figure out how to parry her it makes the fight really easy. It took me just over a minute to beat her with that method: https://youtu.be/bwamRl8mjlU

EDIT: I used the Moonlight Sword to beat the last DLC boss on both NG and NG+. It worked very well for me. Here's a video of the NG+ fight: https://youtu.be/iI4uOVejx8g

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Yeah, exactly. You mostly optimized this. And this is why humanoid enemies are the best.

The humanoid enemies can be the most annoying ones as well, like the aformentioned Pthumerian Descendant in the Ihyll chalice. Speaking of the best, one of my favorite boss fights is the last one in the same chalice dungeon. I beat her originally on co-op, and had the urge to go through the dungeon again to beat her on my own.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to get Beast's Embrace early (Lvl 43) for some low-level beastly invasion fun (imagine newer player's faces!), but I've hit a brick wall with the first DLC boss, Beethoven (wink, wink - avoiding spoilers).

Anyone fancy helping me out with him (and Larry Priest, I imagine) later tonight or over the weekend (I'm on GMT)? Happy to return the favour (or similar) with my higher level characters.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The humanoid enemies can be the most annoying ones as well, like the aformentioned Pthumerian Descendant in the Ihyll chalice. Speaking of the best, one of my favorite boss fights is the last one in the same chalice dungeon. I beat her originally on co-op, and had the urge to go through the dungeon again to beat her on my own.
Ihyll Pthumerian Descendant is giving me conniptions on my current run through even through I'm over-leveled (160-ish I think). I think the bosses in this final dungeon are in reverse order of difficulty, after the previous two the queen feels like they were giving us a break for making it to her!

I've grown to really enjoy the Chalice Dungeons though - it felt like so much repetition on my first playthrough, but part of that was going in blind and not knowing the shortest path to the end. Even now I'll do some non-essential ones for fun, it's nice just to grind a bit and wander through them. I wish there was more variety, like each dungeon types had it's own unique parts rather than them all being different reskins of each other - but I would like to see them try the idea again in a future game.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

You definitely pulled that one out in the end lol. A real butt clencher.

Portavoz

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a point of no return to start the DLC? I'm thinking of buying The Old Hunters now that it's on sale and I'd really like to complete everything in one playthrough.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is there a point of no return to start the DLC? I'm thinking of buying The Old Hunters now that it's on sale and I'd really like to complete everything in one playthrough.
When you start the final bossfight, you cant return to either the game or the DLC.
If you are ok with knowing the last boss before starting the DLC, open the Spoiler:

Play the DLC after you slaughtered Mergos Wet Nurse