• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 15, 2018
So I beat Father G on my second go, and I'm no gaming god by a long stretch. Did I just get lucky? Never played a Soulsbourne before today.
I have been dying loads in general mind .Like....loads.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Okay so what is the point of Insight exactly? I've played through the game 3 times and only know of the one thing that happens regarding your Insight later, but other than that, what's the point? It's def not like humanity in Dark Souls.

Oct 27, 2017
I like it for the standard levels and especially crowds, but bosses, I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons here I'll keep with it until maybe after Father G (because I have no choice, really). I have a NG+ save file with my pizza cutter (whirlygig!) just sitting there, unloved.

You know, I think I am going to try Ludwig's Holy Blade on boss fights next time and see how that goes. I have it up to well over 300 physical right now, and it is my current alternate weapon.

My buddy uses that pizza cutter shredder thing, lol. He also transforms into some crazy beast with claws.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
So I beat Father G on my second go, and I'm no gaming god by a long stretch. Did I just get lucky? Never played a Soulsbourne before today.
I have been dying loads in general mind .Like....loads.

The difficult of the bosses depends a lot of the style of play of some people. That's why you will find some people saying they beat easily bosses that others find very hard. Some punish people that fight too defensively, and others people that are too aggressive.

Okay so what is the point of Insight exactly? I've played through the game 3 times and only know of the one thing that happens regarding your Insight later, but other than that, what's the point? It's def not like humanity in Dark Souls.

Mechanically? It let you summon, be summoned or invade people; it also open certain item shops. It also let you "see" more around the world (a good example is the post a few pages back of someone saying he randomly started levitating). Thematically? It ties perfectly with the Lovecraftian ideology of madness and knowledge (the more you knowledge/insight of the universe you get, the more mad you become)

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After 2 years just went through CB and FG. Feeling of accomplishment is still the same. This fucking game.

Feb 15, 2018
The difficult of the bosses depends a lot of the style of play of some people. That's why you will find some people saying they beat easily bosses that others find very hard. Some punish people that fight too defensively, and others people that are too aggressive.
Thanks for the reply. That would explain it .I just kept rolling and light attacking. I did manage to get a visceral in but I fear it was more luck than judgement.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I think I am going to try Ludwig's Holy Blade on boss fights next time and see how that goes. I have it up to well over 300 physical right now, and it is my current alternate weapon.

My buddy uses that pizza cutter shredder thing, lol. He also transforms into some crazy beast with claws.

I have played a lot of Souls games so much so that I think of things like simply getting a weapon like Ludwig's Holy Blade as their own 'ending'. I'll know I at least got proficient with it, and leave the game at that :)

My first playthrough on PS3 Dark Souls was a mage, and I fully knew going in it was going to be rough, but it was still very rewarding.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Thanks for the reply. That would explain it .I just kept rolling and light attacking. I did manage to get a visceral in but I fear it was more luck than judgement.

Yeah, for example: Certain boss is hard to me, because I fight too defensively. In any boss fight, I like having quite an amount of space between me and the boss. However, this boss has an ability that takes advantage of this and makes fighting her harder; you're supposed to keep being aggressive to prevent her of using her skill, however, in my case, I was never able to adjust myself to play like that, and that's why it took me forever to beat her.

Those who constantly play aggressive had an easier time with her, but a harder times with other bosses.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I was only set to Local for co-op. Switched to worldwide. I was getting plenty of hits for even Local though, so I bet worldwide will be even quicker.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Central Yarnam is fantastic and the fact that it's such a labyrinth is so very enticing and welcome.

Now turning right at Firelink Shrine instead of left, hoo boy- that took me awhile.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Use them all on Blood Vials so that you never run out/have to farm again :)
This is the best advice!

Its great seeing people enjoying this game so much. Really feels like a relaunch. I cant wait to read people's interpretation on the lore and what the game was about!

I really, really hope From's next game gets as much love and thought put into it as Bloodborne did. Our Eyes are yet to open!

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd also like to take this time to admit that Father G is one of the best boss fights I've done in a video game. Also, Rally is a genius mechanic that makes the completely lack of shielding both viable and fun. I realized how great it was when I was fighting him and got hit, then had to go on the offensive to gain my health back.

There are some really good weapons later on down the line that can get you massive gains in health from rally. Typically the larger, hard hitting weapons (the Hunter Axe you can get at the beginning is one of them). I'd keep a look out for them and experiment with them if it's the play style you're going for. It's perhaps my favorite mechanic ever implemented in a video game.

I bounce back and forth between that and the cane, yet I always default 90% of the time to the cane since it seems to 'stun' more, and the skill speed I am able to get off more moves before they can attack back. Tough at first 9starting out), but shreds when fortified with good gems.

I wasn't too fond of the holy blade personally. Part of it being I fucked up the build I was initially playing it with in not realizing it was a quality weapon, and eh, using a generic greatsword in a game like Bloodborne that is full of so many exotic weapons, I just wasn't have fun with it. But I recognize how powerful it can be with a proper build.

I much prefer the faster, skill-based weapons. Threaded Cane is nice, but I was quick to dump it once I got the likes of blade of mercy and the church pick. Maybe I'll start another build dedicated to using the cane all the way through the game.

Still love larger weapons like the pizza cutter, hunter axe, and bloodletter though. The latter two are still quite quick, and the pizza cutter damage is just out of this world.

Last edited:

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are some really good weapons later on down the line that can get you massive gains in health from rally. Typically the larger, hard hitting weapons (the Hunter Axe you can get at the beginning is one of them). I'd keep a look out for them and experiment with them if it's the play style you're going for.

It's perhaps my favorite mechanic ever implemented in a video game.
I already use the Axe. It's my favorite weapon by far.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for example: Certain boss is hard to me, because I fight too defensively. In any boss fight, I like having quite an amount of space between me and the boss. However, this boss has an ability that takes advantage of this and makes fighting her harder; you're supposed to keep being aggressive to prevent her of using her skill, however, in my case, I was never able to adjust myself to play like that, and that's why it took me forever to beat her.

Those who constantly play aggressive had an easier time with her, but a harder times with other bosses.

I found that most bosses if you play at a distance force you onto the back foot and force the fights into 5+ min battles and also where their most powerful attacks are that can 1 shot. Whereas if you go close and don't let up then you can finish them off under 2 mins. Though not necessary If you play risk/reward with beast pellets and papers it can be super quick but also a much higher chance of wasting rarer items to a one shot.

The only bosses that really make you hold up rushing are the queen due to the freeze mechanic and the first stage of Laurence who likes to flee or fall on you.

Takes a bit of practice learning the rhythm of how to rush which is basically attacking without having to wait for a full stamina recharge but still getting chains of attacks to create almost continuous attacks and when not attacking you are repositioning. Rom, ebrietas, one reborn, emicery, BSB, wet nurse, moon presence and living failures are super susceptible to that play style. (So is nearly everything in the Souls games as well).

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Central Yharnam is amazing but it really isn't a kind introduction to Souls style gameplay.

The Undead Burg/Asylum is the best introduction to the series for a newcomer. It's relatively simple to plan for, it's short to directly run through, it too condenses the game's mechanics- I see people utterly confused due to being exposed to the overwhelming Central Yharnam without any proper introduction to the series.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I think Central Yharnam is a perfect microcosm of what Souls game design is. If you can get through Central you can probably play and beat all the Souls games. Its unforgiving and maze-like but it provides everything the player needs to succeed, including the skills for the rest of the game. Its really one of the best levels ever made. The aforementioned attributes do make it the most difficult start in a relatively difficult series though.

From and Miyazaki even commented on Central's difficulty a year or so back and said that they probably made the area a little bit too tough and that they took that feedback and designed DS3's intro level(after the tutorial) to be easier in comparison. I dont think it was necessary to do that TBH, I think that unwavering design philosophy makes for some of the best gameplay in the industry, even if it might alienate a few who arent used to it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried about levelling up too much, lol

I've gotten a ton of echoes through helping people fight Father G and eventually I might level myself out of the typical newbie range due to it.

Don't worry, you won't level yourself out. Things still hit hard even if you are 100, lol. A 3 man mob can lay some crazy fast frenzy on you if you're not careful.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coming back to help people co-op and maybe invade a little on a character where I went through some struggles to get the Beast Claw early and... geez. Geez. Some bosses (One Reborn specifically) have absolutely nothing, but just sit there as massive chunks get ripped out of their health at max beast meter. It's crazy good. Can't believe they buried one of the neatest weapons so far into the Chalice Dungeons.

Oct 27, 2017
There are some really good weapons later on down the line that can get you massive gains in health from rally. Typically the larger, hard hitting weapons (the Hunter Axe you can get at the beginning is one of them). I'd keep a look out for them and experiment with them if it's the play style you're going for. It's perhaps my favorite mechanic ever implemented in a video game.

I wasn't too fond of the holy blade personally. Part of it being I fucked up the build I was initially playing it with in not realizing it was a quality weapon, and eh, using a generic greatsword in a game like Bloodborne that is full of so many exotic weapons, I just wasn't have fun with it. But I recognize how powerful it can be with a proper build.

I much prefer the faster, skill-based weapons. Threaded Cane is nice, but I was quick to dump it once I got the likes of blade of mercy and the church pick. Maybe I'll start another build dedicated to using the cane all the way through the game.

Still love larger weapons like the pizza cutter, hunter axe, and bloodletter though. The latter two are still quite quick, and the pizza cutter damage is just out of this world.

I want the blades next for sure. Almost forgot about them. And yeah, my buddy uses the pizza cutter. I am still new with the game, so I'll get there.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, you won't level yourself out. Things still hit hard even if you are 100, lol. A 3 man mob can lay some crazy fast frenzy on you if you're not careful.
I'm more worried about being so high newbs can't summon me anymore. Unless it's like Dark Souls and people can summon anyone higher level than them, no matter how the large the difference?

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more worried about being so high newbs can't summon me anymore. Unless it's like Dark Souls and people can summon anyone higher level than them, no matter how the large the difference?

In Dark Souls theres a range and there is here too. EDIT:This one is more comprehensive https://mpql.net/tools/bloodborne/?level=121

If you just beat Father I wouldnt go any higher than 30-35 for now if you want to still consistently find people to help. But who knows, with all the noobs playing this week theyve probably "oveleveled" as well and youll still find people.

Deleted member 1813

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just killed the Cleric Beast after a couple hours of play. I'm really enjoying the quicker pace here versus Dark Souls. Just wish the IQ and frame pacing were a bit better.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I believe you can summon people 40 levels below you and 40 levels above you. If you use a password with someone else you can play with them regardless of level.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I played the game at launch on the base PS4, but I have a pro now. The game seems noticeably smoother now. The stuttering seems less apparent now. I was under the impression that boost mode only had minimal benefits. Am I just imagining this?

Oct 25, 2017
I played the game at launch on the base PS4, but I have a pro now. The game seems noticeably smoother now. The stuttering seems less apparent now. I was under the impression that boost mode only had minimal benefits. Am I just imagining this?
This is from the Pro thread.

bloodbornez4s7w.png

Maybe even slight improvements go a long way with Bloodborne.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I feel rusty. Started playing this again. The last time I played a souls game on Ps4 was Ds3 JPN and those controls are throwing me a little off haha. Def be down to help some new players if assistance is require!

GOAT <3

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I am back in, now that there is actually activity and lots of new players I plan on helping with bosses, something I didn't do before, the hunt goes on....

Also enjoying reading this thread, it's so awesome watching people post as the game clicks, so worth it a beautiful thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

If you use password, the level range requirement will be ignored by the game and the helper's stat will be readjusted to be more inline with the host, if the former is hgher than the latter. Of course, this doesn't effect gems slotted into weapons.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
What exactly about the threaded cane shreds? The base form is fast, but I prefer the whip, I just have an issue attacking from range.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I Would love some advice, which boss should I attempt to defeat first? The cleric beast or Father G, I am struggling with both as I am having trouble farming viles and still havent got parry down. Any tips? Loving the game btw, design of the level is excellent.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
I Would love some advice, which boss should I attempt to defeat first? The cleric beast or Father G, I am struggling with both as I am having trouble farming viles and still havent got parry down. Any tips? Loving the game btw, design of the level is excellent.

IMO, the cleric beast. You can summon Father Gapone for the fight if needed. I never had much trouble with him. I was pretty aggressive with him the few times I fought him. His attack is fairly predictable also.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Man, I returned today, and I'm super rusty. Still, helping people beat Gascoigne it's as fun as ever. This reminds me, this is the first time I've continue the Eileen subquest; I finally helped her fight the other hunter in Tomb of Oedon

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay this game is pretty good but holy shit the camera is JUST

Half the challenge of fighting the Cleric Beast was figuring out what the hell was going on.

Absolutely Father G. Just kill enemies for vials (the huge trolls almost always drop two each and there's three on the way to him from the lamp). Just kill enemies a lot and you'll usually have a decent amount of vials.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I love that feeling when you summon someone for a boss you have been struggling with and they just wreck that boss in a couple of blows. ;p