• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first Soulsborne game for my brother. Helping him out here and there but not too much. It's too funny seeing him die to traps or hidden enemies. He's also asking a lot where he has to go next and I am leading him to all the optional bosses :D

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Umm, how do you parry?!

I've only been dodging. This game never taught me how to parry. :O

It's a very long time since I played the game, but I'm fairly sure it's explained in one of the tutorial messages lying around the Hunter's Dream. If you haven't read those make sure to take a trip around that little area and check the messages.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
yeah timing can be hard to get.

Btw forgot to say you can kinda do the same with a backstab, do a charged attack (R2) at the back of an enemy and he will also stagger for a visceral attack.

backstab.gif

Thank you! I'll bear it in mind.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
It's a very long time since I played the game, but I'm fairly sure it's explained in one of the tutorial messages lying around the Hunter's Dream. If you haven't read those make sure to take a trip around that little area and check the messages.

I'll have a quick gander later today. I must say I'm enjoying this more than DS3!

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Feels so good to jump back in on this. My mate has never played it so has picked it up on the PSplus. Replaying it a third time after some time now confirms for me that this is deffo my favourite out of the souls games. The gaming loop addiction of this game has hooked me straaaaiight back in.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I'm going to download this again and then I'm going to invade a lot of newbies in the Forbidden woods. ;)

Also need one more trophy for the full 100%. I didn't find the bloodletter weapon with the spikes. Unfortunately, my save file with almost all the weapons is gone.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Beat the first two bosses and i'm starting to feel more comfortable with the threaded cane. Still kinda miss the saw cleaver though.

I'd like to get good at parrying but apart from those big guys with the bricks in the earlier areas, i've never been able to do it consistently. Like others have mentioned in this thread, despite being able to do great damage it seems like such a big risk especially against bosses. And having to learn the timing for each enemy seems like a lot of work.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Beat the first two bosses and i'm starting to feel more comfortable with the threaded cane. Still kinda miss the saw cleaver though.

I'd like to get good at parrying but apart from those big guys with the bricks in the earlier areas, i've never been able to do it consistently. Like others have mentioned in this thread, despite being able to do great damage it seems like such a big risk especially against bosses. And having to learn the timing for each enemy seems like a lot of work.

You don't have to parry EACH enemy. That would be a big waste of bullets, a risk and it would probably take to much time. In fact, the only 2 non-boss enemies I parry, are brick trolls and huntsman (the bigger red haired dudes like the 2 right before the Gascoigne fight).

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Large+Huntsman

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Parrying is fun though, that's the real reason to do it! If you're using blood bullets/regain/vials wisely you shouldn't be running out of bullets either.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
By the way, a tip for newcomers - keep hacking away at an enemy even after depleting its health to continue regenerating.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think it would be worth me going into boss battles with the intention of learning the timings instead of just trying to kill them. I've tried it a few times but the fear always kicks in and I either end up panic spamming the gun to no effect or standard dodging.

Nov 21, 2017
Parrying is fun though, that's the real reason to do it! If you're using blood bullets/regain/vials wisely you shouldn't be running out of bullets either.

Word. I love parrying. And if you have the runes equipped for it, like you said, you get great awards for it. Because I have the regen health rune on most of the time, I parry just to heal.

I also parry bosses when I can. Bloodstarved Beast and phase one of Orphan of Kos, I wreck with parrying. It's so satisfying!

You don't have to parry EACH enemy. That would be a big waste of bullets, a risk and it would probably take to much time. In fact, the only 2 non-boss enemies I parry, are brick trolls and huntsman (the bigger red haired dudes like the 2 right before the Gascoigne fight).

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Large+Huntsman

There are a few enemies that are so easy to parry that it is crazy not to. Church Servant is one of them.

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Word. I love parrying. And if you have the runes equipped for it, like you said, you get great awards for it. Because I have the regen health rune on most of the time, I parry just to heal.

I also parry bosses when I can. Bloodstarved Beast and phase one of Orphan of Kos, I wreck with parrying. It's so satisfying!

There are a few enemies that are so easy to parry that it is crazy not to. Church Servant is one of them.

Yeah I forgot about those. I do also parry those church dudes.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
Stuck on
Amelia
but I probably just need to level more. Having fun on my 2nd playthrough so far and it's capturing all those first time feels. I lost an entire day to this yesterday..

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i found parrying to be the best tool against
snake men. the attack where they thrash with their snakes in all directions is difficult to deal with, until you realize you can just back off outside their range and shoot them during their huge parry window

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Remember you can recover 5 bullets for a little bit of HP, pressing up on the d-pad.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh hey it turns out if you stay calm and do single dodges and time them properly instead of panic roll everywhere it's more effective. Neat.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Stuck on
Amelia
but I probably just need to level more. Having fun on my 2nd playthrough so far and it's capturing all those first time feels. I lost an entire day to this yesterday..
Go for her legs to stun her, concentrate on one leg at a time, and she's weak to fire, so fire paper is good here.

Fire paper + BB Pellets + Transform attacks and she can be down in 15-30 seconds.

Also I would suggest exploring the paths each side of her boss room before facing her.

Last edited:

joghia

Nov 3, 2017
I gotta say, played it for 2.5 hours last night and made it to the first (optional) boss. He wrecked me good but I now finally understand the appeal of the game. I had started a playthrough a couple of years ago and didn't like it at all. But THIS time, I read up on the game a lot to prepare myself and read some beginner tips on this thread and others like it and went into it with a way more patient mind. I now love it for what it is :). Every enemy encounter is a matter of life or death and that intensity makes it feel like a horror game to be honest haha. A gothic horror survival action RPG lol.

Love love love the setting too. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go back to daydreaming about playing it again!

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
Truly epic experience. One of the most aesthetically pleasing games ever.

Question - those of you who are recommending a Bloodtinge or Arcane builds, you don't obtain weapons that can utilize those stats until much later in the game... What weapon do you use in early/mid game?

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Stuck on
Amelia
Oh it took me days to beat her. Almost gave up but beat her somehow.

Can't express the feeling after i beat her.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I need to stop being so stubborn, I've lost thousands upon thousands of blood echos all because I don't want to clear out a few enemies again.

Oct 25, 2017
Just about defeated Cleric Beast. My HP was basically 0 and no blood vials left, and with a small portion of its health left, of course my composure went out the window: I saw a gap in its defence and went all in. I started to mash and slash in the hope I would kill it before it kills me. Phewwwahahaha.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Just about defeated Cleric Beast. My HP was basically 0 and no blood vials left, and with a small portion of its health left, of course my composure went out the window: I saw a gap in its defence and went all in. I started to mash and slash in the hope I would kill it before it kills me. Phewwwahahaha.
That's usually how you die in BB. :p

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Truly epic experience. One of the most aesthetically pleasing games ever.

Question - those of you who are recommending a Bloodtinge or Arcane builds, you don't obtain weapons that can utilize those stats until much later in the game... What weapon do you use in early/mid game?

I main Bloodtinge.

I went with Threaded Cane up until Cainhurst, pumping Skill to a maximum of 25 when I could (between getting Bloodtinge, Stamina and Health up). If I needed to up it's damage further, I just used to buff it with items.

Chikage's untransformed mode scales with Skill, so it wasn't a total waste (even though I near exclusively use Blood mode now).

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey it turns out if you stay calm and do single dodges and time them properly instead of panic roll everywhere it's more effective. Neat.

I gotta say, played it for 2.5 hours last night and made it to the first (optional) boss. He wrecked me good but I now finally understand the appeal of the game. I had started a playthrough a couple of years ago and didn't like it at all. But THIS time, I read up on the game a lot to prepare myself and read some beginner tips on this thread and others like it and went into it with a way more patient mind. I now love it for what it is :). Every enemy encounter is a matter of life or death and that intensity makes it feel like a horror game to be honest haha. A gothic horror survival action RPG lol.

Love love love the setting too. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go back to daydreaming about playing it again!

Good gooood

Oct 27, 2017
I am loving this game! It is so well done in almost every facet. The atmosphere is just so absorbing, that it is hard to turn off, even when I have to sleep to get up for work in the morning. Been a long time since I was able to be so absorbed in a game. I also deleted my disc version, and downloaded the digital from PS+ so I do not have to leave the disc in, since I will be playing exclusively this game until I beat it.

When I first played it almost 2 years ago, I beat the first two bosses (Cleric Beast & Father Gascoigne) with my friend's help. I then was on a long gaming hiatus. The game was tough initially, and I am glad I got the itch from all the talk to dive back in. Same friend helped me with Blood-starved Beast over the weekend and from that point it has been all me. Was basically grinding and got up to level 70 before...

fighting Vicar Amelia with the help of the NPC companion, and my goodness what an amazing boss! I then got to the Forbidden Woods and cleared most of it out, windmill, beggar to the Clinic, etc., and WTF are those alien looking things? WTF, this game just took a huge dive into CRAZY! And that is a good thing. Here I am assuming maybe, that maybe all these Yharnam peeps are vampires with their blood fetish, and the wolf like creatures, etc., Lovecraft victorian look, and here comes these bubble headed alien things? It all makes sense now with the 'tonsil stone' (meteorite), and the hints in the stories and lore. Craziness! So I stumbled into the Shadows of Yharnam arena, and thought, crap, I am toast, they are fast, and hard hitting. Luckily I had the Flamethower, and Adella's Blood, because I almost gave up in the first 10 seconds they hit so hard. Then I gather my composure, and remembered, quick step, run and dodge, took out the flame guy with it, and then worked on the other two. Was a hell of a fight by myself, but I beat them the first try. It was a fist pump moment, another rarity I have not done in gaming in a LONG time.

Now my adventure awaits for my level 78 arse when I get home this evening! Once you get through the initial 'toughness', the game just opens right up! Man it is SO good!!!

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
I am loving this game! It is so well done in almost every facet. The atmosphere is just so absorbing, that it is hard to turn off, even when I have to sleep to get up for work in the morning. Been a long time since I was able to be so absorbed in a game. I also deleted my disc version, and downloaded the digital from PS+ so I do not have to leave the disc in, since I will be playing exclusively this game until I beat it.

When I first played it almost 2 years ago, I beat the first two bosses (Cleric Beast & Father Gascoigne) with my friend's help. I then was on a long gaming hiatus. The game was tough initially, and I am glad I got the itch from all the talk to dive back in. Same friend helped me with Blood-starved Beast over the weekend and from that point it has been all me. Was basically grinding and got up to level 70 before...

fighting Vicar Amelia with the help of the NPC companion, and my goodness what an amazing boss! I then got to the Forbidden Woods and cleared most of it out, windmill, beggar to the Clinic, etc., and WTF are those alien looking things? WTF, this game just took a huge dive into CRAZY! And that is a good thing. Here I am assuming maybe, that maybe all these Yharnam peeps are vampires with their blood fetish, and the wolf like creatures, etc., Lovecraft victorian look, and here comes these bubble headed alien things? It all makes sense now with the 'tonsil stone' (meteorite), and the hints in the stories and lore. Craziness! So I stumbled into the Shadows of Yharnam arena, and thought, crap, I am toast, they are fast, and hard hitting. Luckily I had the Flamethower, and Adella's Blood, because I almost gave up in the first 10 seconds they hit so hard. Then I gather my composure, and remembered, quick step, run and dodge, took out the flame guy with it, and then worked on the other two. Was a hell of a fight by myself, but I beat them the first try. It was a fist pump moment, another rarity I have not done in gaming in a LONG time.

Now my adventure awaits for my level 78 arse when I get home this evening! Once you get through the initial 'toughness', the game just opens right up! Man it is SO good!!!

Jesus, you're level 78 after the Shadows? I'm 69 and just now facing Micolash. The game will probably be a cakewalk for you for a while now, I found pretty much every boss after the point you're at to be pretty manageable at a much lower level than you are.

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, you're level 78 after the Shadows? I'm 69 and just now facing Micolash. The game will probably be a cakewalk for you for a while now, I found pretty much every boss after the point you're at to be pretty manageable at a much lower level than you are.

I just got into a grind routine (exiting the Good Church) and killing the 5 werewolf beasts and the 3 minis (rinse/repeat), looting the blood fortify tools to sell for more echoes. I was just doing it over and over and before I knew it I got pretty hight up there. I wanted to make sure I was leveled enough, etc.. The game can still hit you hard, but once I was finding all the gems in the forest, my weapons just became beast mode, literally.

Those damn frenzy head sucking mosquito things tho! They are a bitch on your health, lol.

And the Snatchers... one of the scariest enemies in a game. They always make me approach with super extreme caution. Creepy mofos!

Here's a hundred page dissertation on the lore of Bloodborne by RedGrave
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JL5acskAT_2t062HILImBkV8eXAwaqOj611mSjK-vZ8/edit

This is probably the most in-depth someone has ever dived into regarding Bloodborne's lore

Thank you! Downloaded the PDF and will read after I beat the game.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I just got into a grind routine (exiting the Good Church) and killing the 5 werewolf beasts and the 3 minis (rinse/repeat), looting the blood fortify tools to sell for more echoes. I was just doing it over and over and before I knew it I got pretty hight up there. I wanted to make sure I was leveled enough, etc.. The game can still hit you hard, but once I was finding all the gems in the forest, my weapons just became beast mode, literally.

Those damn frenzy head sucking mosquito things tho! They are a bitch on your health, lol.

And the Snatchers... one of the scariest enemies in a game. They always make me approach with super extreme caution. Creepy mofos!

Happy to see youre enjoying the game. Get and play the DLC before you read that document though!

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Did you encounter a Wintern Lantern yet? You're gonna like them.

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
any good place to get stone chunks?

im in new game+...havet played this character since 2015, just go to the hidden city

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Reached the halfway on NG+2, unlocked all the available areas and DLC, and raised 10 more levels on my already overlevelled character:

I guess I'll be reaching 50 Arcane easily by the end.

EDIT:
R-hand weapon 1: Threaded Cane
R-hand weapon 2: Holy Moonlight Sword
L-hand weapon 1: Blunderbuss
L-hand weapon 2: Evelyn

I also managed to get Blade of Mercy to +10 finally. Next up is Simon's Bowblade.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you encounter a Wintern Lantern yet? You're gonna like them.

Not yet, but looking forward to it. I traveled to some building where there was this...

Giant house centipede looking cross between a walking stick insect with a slit of teeth or something. It was coming at me, and attacking, but when I killed it, no echoes or loot drop. Weird. Then a NPC hunter came at me, and was tough, so I did not bother to fight since it was approaching 2am.

Ran back to the Hunter's Dream and logged for the night. Basically just starting at Byrgenwerth lamp. So I will be giving that area a go, I know I need to fight Rom.

Happy to see youre enjoying the game. Get and play the DLC before you read that document though!

I will definitely do that, thank you!

Starting the DLC after I beat the game is fine, right? I feel I want to experience the game in it's OG release first.

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
After 3 days of trying I finally beat BSB last night. Can someone explain the glyph thing in Chalice Dungeons? Does it allow you to get weapons and gems early on or something?

Oct 30, 2017
Just realized after 60+ hours with my main that the choir bell eats up like 7 bullets at a time. Was using it very liberally during the Rom fight with a cooperator. Gonna go grind some quicksilver now.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Not yet, but looking forward to it. I traveled to some building where there was this...

Giant house centipede looking cross between a walking stick insect with a slit of teeth or something. It was coming at me, and attacking, but when I killed it, no echoes or loot drop. Weird. Then a NPC hunter came at me, and was tough, so I did not bother to fight since it was approaching 2am.

Ran back to the Hunter's Dream and logged for the night. Basically just starting at Byrgenwerth lamp. So I will be giving that area a go, I know I need to fight Rom.

I will definitely do that, thank you!

Starting the DLC after I beat the game is fine, right? I feel I want to experience the game in it's OG release first.

Not sure what enemy that is. In what area was that?

I would recommend to start the DLC within your NG playthrough. The DLC is pretty tough compared to the maingame and NG+ makes it even harder. It is recommended to enter the DLC if after Micolash. If you want to enter it in NG+, you have to play a bunch again. I believe you can enter it after Amelia, but then you have the risk of being to weak.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what enemy that is. In what area was that?

This one.
I would recommend to start the DLC within your NG playthrough. The DLC is pretty tough compared to the maingame and NG+ makes it even harder. It is recommended to enter the DLC if after Micolash. If you want to enter it in NG+, you have to play a bunch again. I believe you can enter it after Amelia, but then you have the risk of being to weak.

So a NG not NG+, or, I do it in this play-through (my first)? I am currently Level 78, and just got to Byrgenwerth, yet to fight Rom.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
After 3 days of trying I finally beat BSB last night. Can someone explain the glyph thing in Chalice Dungeons? Does it allow you to get weapons and gems early on or something?

Yeah, variant weapons, bloodechos and insight are all gained from progressing through the chalice dungeons. The glyphs are basically password made to access specific builds of the dungeon, people can share what the have found.

The chalices come in pairs, first one you find is always the same layout and depth. When you beat it you get a second cup that is the same tier of difficulty and depth as the first but it has a randomized layout and contents. Beat that and the next one is deeper and/or harder. You can also add modifications using rare ingredients to add to the difficulty or create PVP advantages too.

Dungeons can contain chests with new weapons or variant weapons with different Gem slots. Also it may have vendors with access to buy weapons again you previously found within the dungeons. Finally several bosses are wholly unique to the dungeons and can't be found anywhere else, including some genuine doozies.

The reason there are several places to mount the chalices in the Hunters dream is so you may save some of your randomly generated dungeons. To save a dungeon from a glyph you have to have access to the chalice it uses. Oh and the right ingredients.

Been a while since I last played but I believe that's mostly the way it worked.

Edited for clarity as I was tired initially messed it up writing it out.

Last edited:

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
So, last night was a good experience. I went to FCC last night and cleared it out like it wasn't even an issue. The enemies outside the area were actually tougher than anything inside. Boss spoilers for the area below:
Martyr Logarius was a pushover, honestly. I kept dreading the fight because of some comments I read online, but the entire fight was a piece of cake. Dodge forward though his projectiles, get him to phase two, and just parry everything. Three visceral attacks later, he's returned to whence he came. Joined the Vilebloods afterwards and I'm ready to do that quest.
Now, for the main game, I'm super stuck on MHN. I keep trying to do the cool little skip I've seen online, but I just can't time it properly. I'm debating getting into the DLC before finishing this fight, as well.

Quick edit: Also screw Winter Lanterns. I haven't "noped" anything in this game, including spiders and snakes. The first Winter Lantern I fought wasn't too bad (Nightmare Frontier) and then I just happen to bump into one later in the level and had the biggest "NOPE" experience ever in a game. My GF, who has loved watching me play this game, said that she's never seen such a reaction out of me.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. If I remember right need to create the chalice dungeon first and then beat the boss at the bottom to get the Root chalice which allows you to enter a glyph.
I think Lost and Uncanny weapons and good gems usually are found in dungeons with some bullshit modifiers like defiled which halfs your HP.

Oct 28, 2017
I'll just run past these things it's fine. Oh they're chasing me. Whatever I'll outrun them eventtually. Oh shit more things. Keep running forward it's fine! I'm fine! Oh more things. Cant turn back now just keep running!

Oh a dead end. Better turn round and fight them. Oh. That's a lot of enemies. Mistakes were made.

mutombo

Banned
Dec 31, 2017

Yes, turns out keeping calm is probably the first tip I would give people. The game isn't that difficult. Just remember that it's all going to be okay as long as you stay calm and don't get greedy. I've finished the game two times, started with a new character. Everything is a breeze, but I actually died at one of the easiest bosses in the game simply because I thought I could get a few more hits in to finish it off.

It's okay to just get one hit in and roll away. Stay calm, hit once, roll away. That will win you the game.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My first run was STR/ARC and I'm bout to start a NG+ and start investing in Bloodtinge. Is the Chikage worth it if I have next to nothing invested in Skill or should I just got with the Bloodletter or one of the gun types?

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
This game is effectively scratching my gaming itch until god of war next month. Anyone like me playing it for the second time enjoying it significantly more than the first? The story and general feel of uneasiness in the game knocked it down a bit for me on the first go through. The game takes a toll on you. Having played through it has eliminated that uneasiness for me.

Last edited:

mutombo

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
This game is effectively scratching my gaming itch until god of war next month. Anyone like me playing it for the second time enjoying it much more than the first?

I liked BB enough without the DLC but wasn't as blown away as I was with Dark Souls for example. It wasn't until I restarted the game without the DLC like I felt I was truly playing the game it was always meant to be. So, yes?