• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I'm not kidding. I struggled with him quite a bit so obviously I'm not as l33t as yourself, even with the music box.
I think I posted this earlier, but I have never seen anything resembling consensus on which bosses are hard and which are trivial. Everyone has a different opinion. I'm with you in that Gascoigne is brutal for a first timer and is still a challenge on later runs. But there are a couple bosses I can usually beat on my first try that I've seen people struggle with, so... Everyone has their own weaknesses.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
I think I posted this earlier, but I have never seen anything resembling consensus on which bosses are hard and which are trivial. Everyone has a different opinion. I'm with you in that Gascoigne is brutal for a first timer and is still a challenge on later runs. But there are a couple bosses I can usually beat on my first try that I've seen people struggle with, so... Everyone has their own weaknesses.

No shame in ringing that bell either! I had two guys come in for Amelia and clean house with me. She was down in about a minute. Obviously not much of a challenge in that though.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the reason for the caskets? I've been addicted to this games lore since day one and for some reason I'm just drawing a blank on the caskets strewn everywhere.

Made a strong low level build to help the newcomers with Cleric, Father, BSB and Amelia. Almost every time I use "make contact" the beckoner just stops moving and you can almost hear them thinking "what the... fuck?"

Why are they everywhere?

They're taken to Yahar'gul in those wagons. If you look inside some of the abandoned ones you find, with dead horses, you can see more of these caskets. Including the one in Yahar'gul, where you get the Yahar'gul Hunter Set.

There, they conduct all manner of rituals with these bodies, most likely trying to find a way to reanimate them. Some of the results you can see in the Cramped Casket enemy that you can find there after Rom. The end results of their research is seen as The One Reborn, but at that point you can find the inhabitants of Yahar'gul turned to stone, trying to reach to the walls and escape, so I have to imagine that at some point they reached the conclusion that it's better to use living bodies.

Father Guacamole is one of the hardest bosses in Soulsborne universe. No shame in getting help.
It's without a doubt the hardest first boss. Most people will fight the Cleric Beast first, but I can only imagine the pain of someone playing their first Souls game and having Gascoigne as the very first boss.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
I've been doing a first time play through of Skyrim and have a huge back log of games to play after finishing that, but the hype in this thread really has contemplating putting Skyrim to the side for awhile and trying this out. I do remember the hype around this game when it was first released and the talk about it being a worthy 3D Castlevania equivalent almost got me to buy a PS4 for it during that time.

Damn just when I felt like I was hitting a stride in Skyrim too. Haha.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That feeling when you have 15,000 echoes and you have no idea where the fuck you are

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing a first time play through of Skyrim and have a huge back log of games to play after finishing that, but the hype in this thread really has contemplating putting Skyrim to the side for awhile and trying this out. I do remember the hype around this game when it was first released and the talk about it being a worthy 3D Castlevania equivalent almost got me to buy a PS4 for it during that time.

Damn just when I felt like I was hitting a stride in Skyrim too. Haha.
Do it!

The online aspects of Souls games are a lot of fun, you'll definitely benefit from playing it while a lot of new players are getting into it. Skyrim can wait, it'll still be the same game when you return.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
for those struggling with papa g, i'm quoting this post of mine from the early parts of this thread to give you some inspiration and maybe some helpful tips for fighting him

i wish i could also erase my memories of this masterpiece and feel the same way the soulsborne newbie in this video feels throughout that fight

if she can do it, so can you!

That feeling when you have 15,000 echoes and you have no idea where the fuck you are

tenor.gif

you should use the bold hunter's mark if you really wanna play it safe and spend those echoes!

Oct 30, 2017
Just remember not to get attached to blood echoes just like you weren't supposed to get attached to souls in the DS series. You'll lose them and you'll lose them a lot.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
About the DLC The Old Hunter I just purchased yesterday....how do I get there?

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/The+Old+Hunters

How to Access The Old Hunters DLC
  1. Defeat Vicar Amelia and activate the skull in the Cathedral to turn day into night.
  2. Go to the Hunter's Dream and receive Eye of a Blood-Drunk Hunter from a messenger.
  3. Go to the Cathedral Ward and leave via the left-hand exit to enter the square.
  4. Go to the right-hand end of the square (where the Hunter Set/Top Hat are located) and the Lesser Amygdala will grab you. This will take you to the new area: The Hunter's Nightmare
  5. Lighting the lamp in the new area will allow you to travel to and from the area via the Hunter's Nightmare Awakening Headstone in the Hunter's Dream . It can be found by the Insight Shop, where the Doll will sometimes kneel and pray.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really wish the Souls games allowed you to unlock weapons on the account level and select them as "gifts" at the start of a new game. Starting a fresh playthrough with some of the late game weapons, like Beast Claw, Burial Blade or Rakuyo would be awesome. It'd still be balanced too, thanks to the way upgrades function.

I loved the Stake Driver on my first playthrough. It's pretty fast in both modes, both of which leave your gun hand free, and poking is great for kin-type enemies. And that fully charged R2 is sooo satisfying when it connects.

Problem is that the stabs don't do piercing damage, which seems like an oversight.

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018
Beat the Blood Starved Beast last night. He got me twice, but I was able to get back to my echoes each time so no biggie. I think I skipped a boss or something, that was only the third one I beat. I thought I had been through more last time I played.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
They're taken to Yahar'gul in those wagons. If you look inside some of the abandoned ones you find, with dead horses, you can see more of these caskets. Including the one in Yahar'gul, where you get the Yahar'gul Hunter Set.

There, they conduct all manner of rituals with these bodies, most likely trying to find a way to reanimate them. Some of the results you can see in the Cramped Casket enemy that you can find there after Rom. The end results of their research is seen as The One Reborn, but at that point you can find the inhabitants of Yahar'gul turned to stone, trying to reach to the walls and escape, so I have to imagine that at some point they reached the conclusion that it's better to use living bodies.

It's without a doubt the hardest first boss. Most people will fight the Cleric Beast first, but I can only imagine the pain of someone playing their first Souls game and having Gascoigne as the very first boss.

Whoa, I don't think I ever knew that. So. Cool.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Beat the Blood Starved Beast last night. He got me twice, but I was able to get back to my echoes each time so no biggie. I think I skipped a boss or something, that was only the third one I beat. I thought I had been through more last time I played.
You might've purchased the key for and opened up a gate before that allows you to skip BSB, but generally it is the third boss.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Can't disagree with that, tho I would say Demon's Souls' tutorial boss is just as hard as it can easily one shot you.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, Co-op is super active right now, I get summoned for Blood Starved Beast and Amelia within 30 seconds.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... You like BB?
It's my favorite game, haha.

That happened to you? Hahahaha, that must have been quite an experience, to say the least.

Can't disagree with that, tho I would say Demon's Souls' tutorial boss is just as hard as it can easily one shot you.
That's very true, but it's kind of cheating since the game doesn't expect you to beat it. :P

With Gascoigne you either git gud or you give up.

Last edited:

Melhisedek

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to know if you have DLC installed before beating that boss a couple of hours in? I'm using game sharing with my brother and he has the DLC but I don't so I tried to install his. When I log into his account (which is primary on my console) it says DLC installed, but when I change to mine it gives me option to buy the DLC

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to know if you have DLC installed before beating that boss a couple of hours in? I'm using game sharing with my brother and he has the DLC but I don't so I tried to install his. When I log into his account (which is primary on my console) it says DLC installed, but when I change to mine it gives me option to buy the DLC
There isn't, unfortunately. All of the changes to the main game were released for free, so you'd have everything before that point anyway.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Do it!

The online aspects of Souls games are a lot of fun, you'll definitely benefit from playing it while a lot of new players are getting into it. Skyrim can wait, it'll still be the same game when you return.

Interesting. Based on the current discussions I was thinking of playing offline. I'm an old school gamer and don't really like the idea of having to get help to beat bosses or having random people be able to come into my game and kill me or waste resources trying to fight them off. I also agree with the sentiment that since random jokey notes and other things from online players could potentially ruin the atmosphere of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Based on the current discussions I was thinking of playing offline. I'm an old school gamer and don't really like the idea of having to get help to beat bosses or having random people be able to come into my game and kill me or waste resources trying to fight them off. I also agree with the sentiment that since random jokey notes and other things from online players could potentially ruin the atmosphere of the game.
I personally find even the random ghosts of other players walking around a lot of fun to look at. It really adds to the game, imo. Give it a try and then go to offline if you don't like it.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I decided to do some coop this morning and it only took less than 20 seconds to be summoned into someone's game. I love that the community is so active again.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me actually. Indeed is a harsh boss. I kinda lost in my first walking in the city. BB was my first souls games and my first boss was Gascoigne. I'm a lucky one. Just imagine the pain.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised how quickly this sucked me in yesterday considering how much the other Souls games turned me off. Guess it really does come down to me being more offensive minded and taking to that playstyle a lot more easily.

I know I'm still pretty early on but things definitely clicked in a way I wasn't expecting, it's been years since a game has got its hooks in me like this, looking at the clock and being genuinely flabbergasted how much time has passed. Love the world and how alive it feels with the diverse bestiary, it's truly a beautiful nightmare FROM has realized.

Glad there's still an active community here to help newcomers get adjusted, I've already referenced this thread several times and it's been super helpful, so thanks hunters!

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
started playing last night for the first time. Never played any of the souls games before. Beat the first two bosses. Found Father what's his face easier than the cleric beast. Running with the threaded cane and having a blast.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a network error everytime I try to go online. The hell? Didn't used to do this.
I was having this happen last night, and I had to rebuild the database. It's possible it was just a PSN thing with the load of all the new players, but I had been trying to fix it for an hour or so including reinstalling, and the database finally did it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif
Heh. I was trying to find another fucking lamp for ages. I was dipping my toes into all the routes I found and picked the least ominous looking.

I've just encountered the Cleric Beast and I've already died countless times. I'm trying to work out which attacks I can parry with the pistol which is taking quite a while haha. The learning curve is huge but refreshing.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That happened to you? Hahahaha, that must have been quite an experience, to say the least.

While I got plenty of DS experience, it took me a few day's worth of sessions... especially cos I didn't have the music box. I only found out there was a CB when someone mentioned it on GAF!!!

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Silly question, but are you using the Chikage?

Nope, not using the Chikage. I'm using a Saw Spear and a Threaded Cane for my right hand weapons.

You may have equipped a blood gem on one of your weapons that depletes your health.

I checked the effects of the Blood Gems that I have equipped on my weapons but they only seem to increase physical damage. and idk how else to check whether there's a penalty attached to them or not. There is no listed downside to them, they don't add poison effect like some other gems that I have in my inventory. I'm clearly overlooking something here but idk what that is lol.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Nope, not using the Chikage. I'm using a Saw Spear and a Threaded Cane for my right hand weapons.

I checked the effects of the Blood Gems that I have equipped on my weapons but they only seem to increase physical damage. and idk how else to check whether there's a penalty attached to them or not. There is no listed downside to them, they don't add poison effect like some other gems that I have in my inventory. I'm clearly overlooking something here but idk what that is lol.
You're not... accidentally pressing up on the D-pad, are you? I can't think of anything else besides what's been mentioned that would reduce your health before leaving the Hunter's Dream.