• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
TOXI, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, YOU CAN'T DEFEND SPIDERS IN HERE.

Lemme just say that I skipped the shit out of Brightstone Cove Tseldora in DS2. Well, not really. I eventually got to the room where you have to slowly traverse a giant web while there's spiders coming to kill you and I started sweating and screaming and never went there again.

Bloodborne...

Lemme just say that I'm actually lucky that I only played this game when it was late at night and I had to be super quiet.

Nightmare of Mensis was... exactly that. A fucking NIGHTMARE. Holy shit. The entire portion with the spiders I had this intense cold sweat and massive goosebumps. Spider enemies are horrible enough but now I have to fucking check to see if they're hanging from the ceiling or hiding in some corner???? Gives me flashbacks of when I lived in my old house where I had to check every damn inch of my house 24/7 because there was probably a spider hiding somewhere 😭

On top of that shit like the Lesser Amygdalas frightened the S H I T out of me. Silent Hill who???

Fuck spiders

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to never sleep again, go into the part of Nightmare of Mensis where the spiders are while wearing a surround sound headset.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't play Prey (the newest one) because in that game literally anything (coffee cup, office chair, toilet paper) can turn into a spider and jump at you at any time.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't play Prey (the newest one) because in that game literally anything (coffee cup, office chair, toilet paper) can turn into a spider and jump at you at any time.

They only have four legs though, and are basically like those poison headcrabs in Half-Life.

If you haven't played it yet, there are mimic enemies that look like everyday items.

latest

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
lmao. I cannot go through Nightmare of Mensis because of the spiders. I can deal with Rom, but the nightmare apostles paralyze me

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
This is the exact reason why I won't ever get through Bloodborne or any of the old Resident Evils.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know how I managed to do it; I really don't.

After I cleared out the room I was like "I'm not fucking dying, I'm reaching a lamp or shortcut, bc I'm never fucking doing that again"

The worst thing about spider room is less the spiders themselves and more that FUCKING Mensis Hunter on the bridge right outside who likes to stonewall you on your way to the next lantern. If he wasn't there you could just sprint through spider room and activate the lamp before you get eaten.

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
This is how I felt playing Ocarina of Time, where you enter literally the first dungeon of the game and within 5 minutes a spider the size of you just randomly falls onto your head. I then proceeded to play the entire game with a guide in order to check which dungeons had spiders in them and roughly where they'd be. It was really cool in Shadow Temple where they'd fall through trick ceilings onto you. Incidentally, this made my fave temple in the entire game the Water Temple, since it had no goddamn spiders in it.

You should play Nioh, which, according to IGN, has a level called "Spider Nest Castle"

This is me playing Majora's Mask and seeing two different locations called "House of Giant Spiders", I hated it there too.

Basically what I'm saying is every dev who just randomly puts giant spiders into their games should be shot out of a cannon.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not particularly phobic (though I dislike spiders like any normal human), and video game spiders usually don't bother me at all, including Bloodborne's spiders.

But the area before Freja in DS2 was always the most unnerving for me, as is the intro cut scene for the boss. There's a really creepy realism to how they are designed and how they move, and the way the spider enemies crawl from underneath those web strands as you enter that room.... brrrrr. Even with the improved torch mechanic in Scholar of the First Sin that disable their aggro entirely, it still creeped me out.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The worst for me was the Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne, I hate snakes.
Having to go through that area with headphones on at night, good god man. I once fell in a pit with this ball of snakes and died , to see them up close and hear them hissing all the time... I closed my eyes, took off my headphones and just turned off the game.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
The worst thing about spider room is less the spiders themselves and more that FUCKING Mensis Hunter on the bridge right outside who likes to stonewall you on your way to the next lantern. If he wasn't there you could just sprint through spider room and activate the lamp before you get eaten.
Weren't there THREE of those fuckers? I used all 10 of my Sedatives lol. Agreed that part was terrible and I narrowly avoided getting Frenzied

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
This is how I felt playing Ocarina of Time, where you enter literally the first dungeon of the game and within 5 minutes a spider the size of you just randomly falls onto your head. I then proceeded to play the entire game with a guide in order to check which dungeons had spiders in them and roughly where they'd be. It was really cool in Shadow Temple where they'd fall through trick ceilings onto you. Incidentally, this made my fave temple in the entire game the Water Temple, since it had no goddamn spiders in it.

This is me playing Majora's Mask and seeing two different locations called "House of Giant Spiders", I hated it there too.

Basically what I'm saying is every dev who just randomly puts giant spiders into their games should be shot out of a cannon.
Skulltulas are fucking horrifying.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
For some reason I managed just fine with the spiders in the game, but whenever I find a random spider lurking in my bathroom I flip my shit out.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
OP I used to live on an island where every summer we had to deal with spider infestation.And I mean literal infestation. Every morning i would kill at least a dozen in the apartment. If I wanted to use my bbq, I had to let it run a good 15 mins so the spiders would come out because of the heat. i would wake up in the middle of the night because I would feel one crawling on me. One of our neighbors had trouble with his car because he had several nests in its engine. It was insane and I am not even an arachnophobe. Good thing I don't live there anymore

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
The ones with the human heads and faces really creeped me out.
Patches, burn him!

yeah, the Chalice Dungeon ones, screw that. They're homing missiles that never stop.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I hate spiders, but I don't have the worst time with video game spiders. Except Rom. The first 3 times I played through Bloodborne I had to cover him up with the controller. It was difficult.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't consider myself a true arachnophobe as I'm fine with removing smaller specimens myself. The real small ones (say, ≤1 cm) are even allowed to chill on my walls, no problem.

But yeah, Nightmare of Mensis was something else. The huge spiders were one thing, but what really freaked me out were the eyeballs on tiny legs (warning! picture) sticking to the floors and walls.

You know what I am? A horrophobe. I don't know if that is a word and I don't care. I'm a huge coward. Even run-of-the-mill ruins in Skyrim are claustrophobic enough that I get spooked when I hear but can't see the random draugr and skeletons wandering the place. I know I can easily kill them, but they still scare me.

So yeah, playing Bloodborne in the dead of night, in an otherwise dark and quiet house, wearing headphones... it was quite the experience. If I had to rate the scariest places I would say 1. Upper Cathedral Ward, 2. Yahar'Gul, and 3. Nightmare of Mensis. Research Hall gets a honorary mention.

And yet, if had to rate the best places in the game, I'd say... 1. Research Hall, 2. Upper Cathedral Ward, 3. Hypogean Gaol.

This goes for the Dark Souls trilogy as well. The best places are usually the ones where my stress levels are highest. I guess those adrenaline rushes are addictive.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
The human headed spiders in the Nightmare of Mensis are fucked and weirded me out the first time I played the game

Oct 30, 2017
Playing through on NG+6 right now.

I got invaded in the Nightmare of Mensis yesterday. Right between the giant spider and the hunter in the hallway. I did not survive.

Ballou

Apr 2, 2020
This is how I felt playing Ocarina of Time, where you enter literally the first dungeon of the game and within 5 minutes a spider the size of you just randomly falls onto your head.

Ten-year-old me spent over a year hyped out of my mind for Ocarina of Time, and then turned the game off like 30 minutes into it because of that giant ass Skulltula at the top of the Deku Tree.