• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
There was just a thread about this a little while ago, but I'll echo my thoughts from that: there might be a source issue going on between From and Sony. We don't know how their deal intersected with source code rights, we don't know the state of the source code or assets, we don't know the state of documentation, and so on. The work required to patch Bloodborne, assuming we're limiting the changes to a resolution and fps bump, would at the worst require re-jiggering the physics in the event it was tied to the framerate. That's work any contractor would be able to handle, and I just can't imagine that complacency or deferral are the only reasons we didn't see anything for the launch of the PS4 Pro or PS5. It's free money that doesn't preclude a remake later on.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Not at release or even close to it, which is when the biggest mass of players play the games, and the games were deeply loved and that's when the appreciation for the series was built. Wasn't counting Sekiro, don't remember if it was 60 on release.
People having no choice on consoles but 30fps, in fact not even knowing what 60fps gaming felt like, so they accepted it, isn't some ringing endorsement. 30fps is a limitation, not a beloved feature.

It's fair to go back with the present's context to say, "wow this runs like absolute shit", because Bloodborne does.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't get where the 30fps is unplayable stuff comes from. I guess I used to think this when I first got a pc, but after a while I learned the unplayable-ness is just a weird adjustment that takes about an hour or so to adjust. Now I dont notice it

60fps games existed back when bloodborne came out, people played ds2 in 60 before it released. Somehow, unbelievably, it ended up being a huge hit

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
hard to patch a game when one studio that worked on it would have to be contracted for it and is too busy on other shit, and the other studio that worked on it no longer exists
pay the guy working on the 60fps mod and give him some extra hands

but honestly im ok with the game forever staying in its jank state only modern from game i had no desire to replay ever

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
It'll be a PS6 launch title.
Bloodborne Ultimate Edition
8K, 120fps, fast loading time, PSVR2 support, HDR etc, etc….
😁😁

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get where the 30fps is unplayable stuff comes from. I guess I used to think this when I first got a pc, but after a while I learned the unplayable-ness is just a weird adjustment that takes about an hour or so to adjust. Now I dont notice it

60fps games existed back when bloodborne came out, people played ds2 in 60 before it released. Somehow, unbelievably, it ended up being a huge hit
It's not just 30 fps. It's 30 fps with busted frame pacing. It feels a lot worse than a standard 30 fps game.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
There was just a thread about this a little while ago, but I'll echo my thoughts from that: there might be a source issue going on between From and Sony. We don't know how their deal intersected with source code rights, we don't know the state of the source code or assets, we don't know the state of documentation, and so on. The work required to patch Bloodborne, assuming we're limiting the changes to a resolution and fps bump, would at the worst require re-jiggering the physics in the event it was tied to the framerate. That's work any contractor would be able to handle, and I just can't imagine that complacency or deferral are the only reasons we didn't see anything for the launch of the PS4 Pro or PS5. It's free money that doesn't preclude a remake later on.

Seems to run OK with a hack. As far as anybody can tell, Fromsoft games don't have physics issues under 60fps.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You're being hyperbolic for effect, I see. A classic mistake... you may not realize, but you've left me with no choice but to take your words as literally as possible. I activate my trap card, "Beyond Context", which enables me to ignore the crux of your argument, while automatically generating one Hyperbole Token under my control, which I can use for free. Time for a taste of your own medicine!

Okay I'm done being an asshole for now. Best to avoid words like unplayable since it tends to bring out attitudes from both people who agree with you and people who (understandably) think that's an OTT way of referring to beloved games that don't run the way modern audiences might expect.

That said, I get it. Bloodborne is the Fromsoft game I most want to play after Elden Ring, but I'm put off by its performance every time I try it. If I didn't have an abundance of other great games to play right now, I'd probably just grin and bear it, but I do, so I'm fine leaving Bloodborne on the backburner. Maybe by the time I get around to it, we'll have a patch or remake to play instead, but with virtually every game having a 60fps mode nowadays, it's becoming harder, not easier, for me to go back to that kind of performance. Especially when it comes to action games where frames count.

Sometimes I find it hard to distinguish between the people who just want terms like unplayable to end, because they don't like the toxic element of discussion that words like that can bring in... and the people who want to act as though your standards for performance being higher than theirs is some kind of insult worthy of revoking your gamer card. The former are... well, they're right, but they often know exactly what you're trying to say and will choose the absolute least charitable reading of your input to respond to anyway. The latter are... overbearing. That's all I'll say about that. Be a multiplat PC gamer for a decade and you'll understand what I'm saying.

Either way, just know that it's perfectly fine to be unhappy with even concensus classics because the performance doesn't meet your standards. It's your experience and there's plenty else out there to play while you wait for this game's inevitable re-release. And keep on asking for that patch. God knows we're not the only ones who want it, even if others are fine with how it runs today.

Last edited:

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there someone claiming here that Bluepoint was working on a remaster and a sequel?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
A patch would be greatly appreciated. That being said I played Old Hunters end of last year and got used to the framerate and performance after maybe 15-20 minutes of gameplay and honestly didn't have problems with it for the rest of the 10 hours or so it took me to finish the DLC. I play the majority of games in 60FPS these days so Bloodborne's framerate and performance was certainly a bit jarring to start off with, but at least to me, wasn't that difficult to get used to it. Obviously would have preferred a performance/graphical improvement patch, but can't say it really bothered me much after that adjustment period.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
BloodBorne just needs to have the image quality cleaned up, 4K resolution and 60 FPS .(optional lighting enhancements)

The game is incredibly detailed and good looking. It looks better than Dark souls 3 at least.

Still, I am blown away by how good Elden Ring looks substantially better while being massive in scale.
How FROM did this in such a short amount of time is truly staggering.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
IMHO the codebase of Bloodborne must be a mess. No port, no performance patches, etc... It feels odd. I've always had the feeling it's like a Red Dead Redemption where the code is just a nightmare and porting or changing it just isn't feasible.
Been saying this for years. I mean it has to be this. Every other fucking game got some kind of patching. Every other game but BB. Every single one (out of From's catalogue). It's a really weird omission how bullish they were both on not doing anything to improve the game afterwards like they did for other games and just generally not really talking about it.

They see the demand. They saw it a long time ago. If it was somewhat easy to do it would have been done long time ago. Just like with RDR. It just must be a fucking mess of a project to try to fiddle and test out shit.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Did Lance McDonald ever get the blood splatter and full cloth physics to work in his 60fps experiments? Last I checked he put in some really impressive work to get 60fps on ps4pro at 720p using code injected from Sekiro or dark souls 3, but he had to fiddle to get the game running stable with basic physics and AI. I have a feeling the blood spatter in particular might be causing some kind of spaghetti code situation that makes a straight up BC patch impossible, or it would have been done already. We can only assume they can't press the button and have it working with minimal effort, it may require some collaboration with From perhaps?

I honestly believe that we might have to wait for Bluepoint to make a remake/remaster at this point. If that's the case, I'd rather get a small-scale remaster over a full remake in a decade. Elden Ring just made me want to start over Bloodborne for the umpteenth time, but I've played it through so many times, a coat of fresh paint would be great. Better yet, can we get a BB2 please?

Even with the performance issues taken into account, BB is still the GoAT and worth playing.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Just played it for the first time a few months ago. Completely playable and fine. Some people need to stop whining and just enjoy games.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They just released the Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection for $50.

I would gladly pay that price for a Bloodborne PS5 port that includes the following things:
  • 4K 60 FPS
  • HDR support
  • No loading screens
  • The Old Hunters DLC
If we keep asking for it, they have to do it eventually. Right? Right?!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Put a big yellow banner across the cover page of potential Bloodborne PS5 Remaster that says "FROM THE MAKERS OF ELDEN RING!"

Easily can sell a million copies at $70. But…is that worth it to GaaS orientation Sony?

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
There must be a unsolvable reason why Sony keeps missing this huge money. Can we say it is related to FromSoftware?

I wish BluePoint would take the helm.

Last edited:

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because From, regardless of how great the games they make are, are technically incompetent. Nearly every game they've released has been underwhelming technically. Elden Ring isn't perfect either, with the best playing version being the PS4 through PS5 backwards compatibility.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Graphics patch is secondary to a performance patch, especially the terrible frame pacing. After that, get rid of the horrible aliasing and vaseline smearing brought on by chromatic abomination.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Let's not exaggerate. Sure, it deserves a remaster but it's running just fine. People would think the game is unplayable. Game is gorgeous.

There's a generation difference.

Big disagree on this, the improper frame pacing makes the game feel horrible to play. It honestly felt like it was running at 20fps when it was mostly at 30fps, which isn't ideal either.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be a contrarian to all these FPS obsessives. Higher resolution would be a better improvement in my opinion. The game runs at a stable enough frame rate even with the frame pacing. A few dropped frames really isn't that noticeable. I would much prefer to see the amazing high quality textures and models at a higher resolution. It's insane how good the assets in BB are.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be a contrarian to all these FPS obsessives. Higher resolution would be a better improvement in my opinion. The game runs at a stable enough frame rate even with the frame pacing. A few dropped frames really isn't that noticeable. I would much prefer to see the amazing high quality textures and models at a higher resolution. It's insane how good the assets in BB are.
I want both. Just imagine. 4k 60fps Bloodborne. God damn, what a beautiful dream...

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
SCEJ is gone and there's like no chance From will go back to it at this point.

We either get an outside studio to do a new port or it's just gonna be chilling as-is

Definitely gonna remain as is until the inevitable Bluepoint remake smh

Honestly I could live with it except for the frame pacing which is way more brutal than I remember.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I don't mind the low resolution I guess because there's nothing technically "wrong" or "broken" about it but yeah that framerate feels like garbage to play now.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I really feel like the hard-core gamer crowd is out of touch with reality sometimes.

Bloodborne is perfectly acceptable as is.

It really is. It's one of my favorite games of all time so I'd love to play a remaster or remake at some point, but I know it's not gonna get a patch and I'm fine with that. I can wait a while if Bluepoint has a few other things in the works first, I know they'll remake it eventually.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
People talk about resolution and framerate.

Load times. That's the actual worst thing about the game.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll really out there slamming Sony for remaking TLOU (a ps3 game) and at the same time craving a full on $70 remake of Bloodborne (a ps4 game). Lmao.

Anyway i'm sure Sony will do something about Bloodborne eventually, I'm confident they're fully aware of it's status in the community.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
There must be a unsolvable reason why Sony keeps missing this huge money. Can we say it is related to FromSoftware?

I wish BluePoint would take the helm.

Imo it's simply timing. They don't need it overlapping similar games, especially a stellar still recent game that anchors the PS + collection appeal

Sekiro seemed to be selling well in 2019, noted by lack of deep discounts heck even today (compared to Bloodborne which was like $15 especially physical copies, within a year of release).

PS5 launch window 2020 had Demon Souls. Bad time to release a BB Remaster there. Big push also to get people playing 60fps dark souls 3 and remastered.

Elden Ring was supposed to be 2021, no point in BB remaster right now either in 2022.

With ER being a smashing success, the back FROM catalogue just got a big boost in interest.

If this is coming as a Remaster, I personally don't expect it until ER interest starts to decline, sales and discounts exhausted, and then to fill a gap if there's nothing new coming soon (like an Elden Ring 2)

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I played it in November. It's completely fine, in terms of performance, and still looks gorgeous due to the amazing art direction. Some of y'all go out of your way to make yourselves miserable.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
I've played Bloodborne more than probably anything else ever and I've been bothered by the frame pacing a total of zero times. I'm playing through it again right now and it's completely fine. Showing its age a little, but perfectly playable. The hyperbole in here is unreal.

People talk about resolution and framerate.

Load times. That's the actual worst thing about the game.

Real talk.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I'd be willing to pay good money if it got ported to PC. One of the GOATs and it's stuck on old hardware with awful frame pacing and dreadful load times.

Bloodborne is the only exception id ever make for spending $70 day one on a game.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've played Bloodborne more than probably anything else ever and I've been bothered by the frame pacing a total of zero times. I'm playing through it again right now and it's completely fine. Showing its age a little, but perfectly playable. The hyperbole in here is unreal.

Real talk.

Frame pacing is one of those things that randomly effects some way more than others, playing bloodborne for an hour makes me physically feel like I have to vomit. I've tried to to start it 5 times each with the same result.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Let us not forget that Lance's 60fps mode runs so great on PS5 [devkit that can run unsigned code].

T_T

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
The thing I always think about with regards to Bloodborne is how much better it looks even than DS3 & Elden Ring. Sekiro is kind of a wash, but it really is a beautiful game--performance issues aside.