• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fireincairo

Mar 27, 2018
For those who have played it: when you use a card to move on the board, does that mean you can't use the action on the card?

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Any ERA impressions yet? I didnt buy it but it looks really well made, so maybe Ill get it when its available again

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Any ERA impressions yet? I didnt buy it but it looks really well made, so maybe Ill get it when its available again

Played my Second game with a buddy on Friday and the game clicked with us, HARD.
During our first game we failed simply because we didn't really get the rules and just tried stuff.
Now after rereading some rules again and understanding how chapters and Campaigns work we got through the first chapter easily.
The game really tries to emulate what bloodborne is about: understanding enemie behavior, growing the strength of you trick weapon and don't waste time and resources. Enemies that once were a danger to you turn into minor annoyances because your action deck, reward cards and experience as a player grows but you also cannot ignore them as every fight costs time, something that you don't have in this game as with every turn and every visit to the hunters dream you get closer to the end of the turn tracker wich ends the game.

The only problem I have so far is that the Rulebook has some minor issues, but a lot of them are getting answerd in an FAQ thread over on BGG by the designers and CMON us going to publish some official erratas in the future.

The quality of the Components is what you expect from CMON. Great minis for the price, thick cards and boards and a good designed insert to store stuff.

I'm really looking forward for the next game where we will tackle chapter two of the first campaign with our now buffed heroes.
If you haven't maybe watch a gameplay video, there are a bunch of good on YT

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend and I played through the first chapter of the first campaign last night. We don't play very many boardgames so took us a bit to really get to speed. By the end, we had a really awesome time with it. I was impressed how much strategy went into it and definitely excited to play some more.

Heads up to others, I tried shuffling the upgrades deck like you would a normal deck of cards. Bad idea, and I snapped probably 8 cards in half. Cracked like a stick would. They're still one piece, but a hard line broke in them and permanently a bit bent. So definitely be careful with those mini cards.

We've only done one chapter, but my two main criticisms thus far (which are very open to changing depending on how the game goes) is I wish there were a stronger mechanical perk of some kind to co-operative play (specifically like, grouping up with a partner) and I wish you saw more than three enemies per chapter. That first chapter was long, and by the end I definitely understood the enemies. I was thinking I might implement a makeshift second enemy board with random enemies, and every time a specific enemy is supposed to spawn, flip a coin to determine which of the two comes in. Just a little something to make more use of all of the incredible minis that come with.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I tried shuffling the upgrades deck like you would a normal deck of cards. Bad idea, and I snapped probably 8 cards in half. Cracked like a stick would.

I was confused by this sentence until I realized by "how you would a normal deck of cards" you probably meant this:
500px-Riffle_shuffle.jpg

As opposed to this:
Overhand3.jpg

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah a riffle shuffle bends and permanently damages cards, and so it's only appropriate for cheapo traditional playing cards that cost 50 cents a pack. I cringe at the idea of using that method on a brand new board game given the immense cost and difficulty of replacing them.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
I was confused by this sentence until I realized by "how you would a normal deck of cards" you probably meant this:
500px-Riffle_shuffle.jpg

As opposed to this:
Overhand3.jpg
Yeah a riffle shuffle bends and permanently damages cards, and so it's only appropriate for cheapo traditional playing cards that cost 50 cents a pack. I cringe at the idea of using that method on a brand new board game given the immense cost and difficulty of replacing them.

Yep, top image is the one.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Got my Full Moon Set in. Havn't messed with it. Kinda not the right time to invite a bunch of people over IMO =(

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I've been debating selling it. Are you guys actually liking it? I'm not going to get it to the table right now, and I've been wondering if I should open it.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
I've been debating selling it. Are you guys actually liking it? I'm not going to get it to the table right now, and I've been wondering if I should open it.
I think its cool, and I like it more than I expected, but I also don't play very many board games. Good strategy layer, and the minis are really cool. If you didn't get a version with KS exclusives, no harm in selling it now and buying it again in the future when you think you might actually play it. If you do have KS exclusives, that gets to be a hairier question

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017

I'm thinking about playing it whenever I'm not, much like the Video game back then.
Thinking about how to optimize the deck and wondering what the next chapter brings.
A total keep.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
500px-Riffle_shuffle.jpg

As opposed to this:
Overhand3.jpg

When I realized what they were talking about I imagined those poor mini cards being riffle shuffled and cried inside, especially with how expensive Bloodborne TBG was.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Got mine on friday, only went with the Blood Moon set. Really impressed with the quality of the minis. Haven't played a game yet, but setting up the first campaign and reading through the rules I can already tell that the strategic layer should be fun and challenging. Curious about the campaigns themselves, as they are all fairly decently stacked piles of cards and I haven't spoiled myself by looking through them, so I don't know how they will play out.

Edit: I have played a decent amount of the Dark Souls board game, and while this is made by a completely different company, I can already say that the gameplay in Bloodborne is way better designed and less clumsy. Dark Souls tried way to harder to reproduce a lot of minutia of the Souls combat, which just made the boardgame tedious.

fireincairo

Mar 27, 2018
I played through first 2 chapters. My 2 cents: I didn't have the best first impression; it felt like a slog getting through it with so many tedious components. There are just so many cards and pieces to manage so it feels unnecessarily unwieldy. Maybe this type of board game isn't for me but I don't really look forward to playing it again.
I dig the minis though and may try to paint some of them.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
I played through first 2 chapters. My 2 cents: I didn't have the best first impression; it felt like a slog getting through it with so many tedious components. There are just so many cards and pieces to manage so it feels unnecessarily unwieldy. Maybe this type of board game isn't for me but I don't really look forward to playing it again.
I dig the minis though and may try to paint some of them.
Did you play solo or with a group? I'm playing a game with 2 others tomorrow and just curious the format that informed the opinion.

fireincairo

Mar 27, 2018
Did you play solo or with a group? I'm playing a game with 2 others tomorrow and just curious the format that informed the opinion.
I played solo. I'm not quite sure I fully followed the rules either because there were some parts I probably should have died or reset the enemies but i couldn't be bothered because i wasn't enjoying it that much. I could see it being enjoyable with people who like bloodborne and could really get into it the mechanics of it, discussing strategy amongst one another. Curious what you and others think after you play it.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
These types of games tend to be way less enjoyable solo. They are social experiences first and foremost. Yes, they are cumbersome and clunky at times, but playing with a couple of friends usually make up for that.

It is also quite possible that this sort of game is not for you. There are way less complicated games in terms of cards, items, markers and gizmos out there that still manage to create an engrossing experiences and complex strategic layers. They tend to be more thematically abstract though.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Played another session yesterday.
The more I play the more I like the game.
The character progress through cards is fun and just smashing string enemies do a pulp by combining your cards with items and consumables is fun.
It's all about knowing the enemie moveset, plan you move and executing it correctly.

Fought my first Hunter enemy type yesterday and atomized him in one turn.
Feels soooo good

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
To be frank, I wish this was a dice chucker. I haven't played yet, but the more I hear about the brain burning puzzle aspect where you're trying to outdo the timer, the less fun it sounds to me. But who knows. I'd like to play on tabletop simulator sometime soon with someone who's enthusiastic about it to convert me.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Welp, I unpacked it. Apple Homepod for scale. I literally have nowhere else to put it. I have 5 more board games from kickstarter left. It's a good thing I finally broke the habit last year!
I only got the base set for this one, but I did the All-In bundle for the Horizon ZD game and I have no idea what I'm going to do.

76d071e3aeae3f092b688084474daccc_original.jpg

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Is this available in stores yet? I'm mainly interested in painting the hunter figurines...

It is not, they are finishing up with KS pledges VERY soon. Just know that there was a bunch of KS exclusive hunter miniatures that will not be available at FLGS (friendly local game store). Base game does have axe, saw cleaver, ludwig, and the cane I believe. chalice dungeons pack has a lot of hunters in them but not sure if that was a KS pack or not. I'm pretty sure the Reiterpallasch is exclusive, the only one that came in its own mini box.

It is not, they are finishing up with KS pledges VERY soon. Just know that there was a bunch of KS exclusive hunter miniatures that will not be available at FLGS (friendly local game store). Base game does have axe, saw cleaver, ludwig, and the cane I believe. chalice dungeons pack has a lot of hunters in them but not sure if that was a KS pack or not. I'm pretty sure the Reiterpallasch is exclusive, the only one that came in its own mini box.
These are the hunters that are exclusive to backers:
-Reiterpallasch
-Kirkhammer
-Burial Blade
-Blade of Mercy
-Ludwig's Uncanny Holy Blade
-Logarius' Wheel
-Tonitrus

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I only got the base set for this one, but I did the All-In bundle for the Horizon ZD game and I have no idea what I'm going to do.

76d071e3aeae3f092b688084474daccc_original.jpg
Jesus. I was thinking of getting a Box Throne for storing games and I was thinking maybe the short one would be adequate, but I have a few all in pledged for games coming in so maybe I should go with the tall size, lmao.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
So many expansions. I'm actually glad I didn't kickstart the 'Bloodboard' game, I'd have no place to keep it.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Damn. I didn't have the cash for this when it first came up on Kickstarter. I wish I had the all-in set, I feel like I'll really miss that Kickstarter exclusive stuff.

Qronicle

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
Me and my girlfriend played the first chapters of the Long hunt the past week. Her having not played the actual game made it a bit harder to get started, because a lot of the mechanics are linked to what you're used to in the videogame.
In the end we mostly got there though, and I like that you're kinda planning 4 moves ahead already at all times. In chapter two the game became a lot harder however. The first game we got pretty lucky with our tiles, but the second one we had to run all over the place to gather the insight. Managed to kill the boss just in time though.
I do not really like the fact that the game demands you to start over in chapter 1 when you fail the mission. I think if we fail in chapter three we'll just restart it, and only give back the insight rewards, but keeping any deck upgrades. (We used all consumables in the last fight, so no need to track those.)

Definitely having a lot of fun painting these minis though, even bought "box 2" of the all in pledge :)
Might post some pics here later.

Last edited:

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Is this only available to people who kickstarted? Or will there be a general public version sold at some point?

Is this only available to people who kickstarted? Or will there be a general public version sold at some point?
Yeah, you'll get the base game, the Chalice Dungeon, and the expansions for Cainhurst, Forbidden Woods and the Hunter's Dream released at some point this year. Right now, they're pretty much done shipping to backers from the initial campaign and are going to start shipping late pledges in March.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you'll get the base game, the Chalice Dungeon, and the expansions for Cainhurst, Forbidden Woods and the Hunter's Dream released at some point this year. Right now, they're pretty much done shipping to backers from the initial campaign and are going to start shipping late pledges in March.
Oh nice, link?

I don't think that CMON has made any pre-orders available yet for the general release of what will be public. I do also know that the Forbidden Woods is getting a single print run, so don't dally on that one, especially since it doubles in for Hemwick Charnel Lane by having a campaign for the Witches.

EDIT: Nevermind, Asmodee does have links up for the base game, Chalice Dungeon and Hunter's Dream. No release date listed, though.