• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Card game is great fun so I'll likely be getting this. Should help hold me off until BB2 comes out in 2020.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was there for the announcement, and it certainly sounds like an amazing project. Eric did a great job with the card game, and there hasn't been a project of his that I've disliked thus far.

It's going to be expensive though. CMON KS board games have insane value, especially if it's a miniature game as expected. Ton of Stretch Goals, an expansion or two on top of what's probably going to be an $80 minimum base game.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it isn't as bad as the Dark Souls boardgame
Seems unlikely. CMON are a better publisher than the one that made Dark Souls (those guys mostly just pump out bad licensed board games with nice minis on kickstarter) and Eric Lang makes some damn good games.

CMON and Lang released a game called Rising Sun earlier this year and it's probably the best board game I've played all year. It's fantastic. If it's even half as good as that then they're only a winner.

Speaking of those guys who made the shitty Dark Souls game. They have a Horizon Zero Dawn game on kickstarter too.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Seems unlikely. CMON are a better publisher than the one that made Dark Souls (those guys mostly just pump out bad licensed board games with nice minis on kickstarter) and Eric Lang makes some damn good games.

CMON and Lang released a game called Rising Sun earlier this year and it's probably the best board game I've played all year. It's fantastic. If it's even half as good as that then they're only a winner.

Speaking of those guys who made the shitty Dark Souls game. They have a Horizon Zero Dawn game on kickstarter too.

Oh shit! I didn't make that connection! Blood Rage and Rising Sun are my two favorite board games so now I'm insanely hyped.

I was thinking this was made by the people who made the Dark Souls game...

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The company that developed Dark Souls The Board Game was Steamforged Games, which has afaik released only one licensed property to retail.

I don't have much experience with their Dark Souls game(s) (mechanics didn't seem enticing enough to bother), but I had a chance to play Resident Evil 2 the board game and found it quite good. Their KS for RE2 was a bit problematic though due to lack of communication, no WIP rules, lack of utilizing community input, etc.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The company that developed Dark Souls The Board Game was Steamforged Games, which has afaik released only one licensed property to retail.

I don't have much experience with their Dark Souls game(s) (mechanics didn't seem enticing enough to bother), but I had a chance to play Resident Evil 2 the board game and found it quite good. Their KS for RE2 was a bit problematic though due to lack of communication, no WIP rules, lack of utilizing community input, etc.
Yeah my bad, I thought they made that shitty Ghostbusters game too for some reason.

Oct 28, 2017
The company that developed Dark Souls The Board Game was Steamforged Games, which has afaik released only one licensed property to retail. I don't have much experience with their Dark Souls game(s) (mechanics didn't seem enticing enough to bother)

I own it (and I'm still waiting for expansions) and I think it's a good game as long as you tweak the rules some and make it more like a Dark Souls experience. The (unchanged) rules from Steamforged takes away from the game.

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
If I was a multimillionaire I would have instantly funded the complete project on Kickstarter.

There won't be any worries about this funding. It will only be a question as to how over-funded it gets to be. CMON is no stranger to multi-million dollar campaigns, and deliver the projects in a reasonable time.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
In it for the miniature figurines alone. Bloodborne has the coolest enemy monster designs in the Souls series imo.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very bland take that card game. Both the card and board game seem like a complete misuse of the IP.

We know next to nothing about the board game, and that's from hearing about it directly from Eric. Sort of hard to gauge any misuse from nothing.

As for the card game, what did you find bland? Personally found it interesting with the semi-cooperative aspect, as you attack other players to prevent them from gaining blood echoes and trophies, yet still needing them to take down the enemies so you can get the trophies. Haven't had anyone not enjoy the game when it reaches the table.

Of course, the variable player powers and other improvements from the Hunter's Nightmare expansion could be a factor.

Edit: There are better semi-cooperative games out there as pointed out on the first page, but still found this one good.

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
We know next to nothing about the board game, and that's from hearing about it directly from Eric. Sort of hard to gauge any misuse from nothing.

As for the card game, what did you find bland? Personally found it interesting with the semi-cooperative aspect, as you attack other players to prevent them from gaining blood echoes and trophies, yet still needing them to take down the enemies so you can get the trophies. Haven't had anyone not enjoy the game when it reaches the table.

Of course, the variable player powers and other improvements from the Hunter's Nightmare expansion could be a factor.

Edit: There are better semi-cooperative games out there as pointed out on the first page.

Oh yeah I meant the Dark Souls board game. I do hope the bloodborne board game will be better. Like you said in the edit there are better semi-coops out there, and the bloodborne IP is so fantastic that they could have done so much more with it.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Necrobump, but valid update. The Kickstarter is already north of a million dollars.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Scrolling .... > Bloodborne.... Announced ... > Heart skips a beat ... > ....Board Game

giphy.gif

Yeah I know, it wouldn't be announced at a time like this, or perhaps ever, but even glimpsing upon the words caused me to double take.

Anyway, cool that this is going to be successfully funded. I have never played these licensed board games before. Wonder if it will be any good.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I backed it, but can't decide if I want it or not. I'm worried they will add a bunch of expansions during the kickstarter, making it prohibitively expensive to get the whole package.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
I backed it, but can't decide if I want it or not. I'm worried they will add a bunch of expansions during the kickstarter, making it prohibitively expensive to get the whole package.

That generally is the CMON way. I would expect betwen $200-$300 for all-in on gameplay stuff.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There is certainly expansion add-ons incoming, given how little the main game covers and the chalice dungeon material seems to be the main gameplay addition focus for stretch goals.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
That generally is the CMON way. I would expect betwen $200-$300 for all-in on gameplay stuff.
There is certainly expansion add-ons incoming, given how little the main game covers and the chalice dungeon material seems to be the main gameplay addition focus for stretch goals.

This only reinforces my view as CMONs business model being based on FOMO, which is something I have serious issues with. I'll have to see if I keep the pledge or not.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought there was already a board game of bloodborne and it was bad? That's a new one?

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
I thought there was already a board game of bloodborne and it was bad? That's a new one?

Dark Souls has a board game that was successful on KS a few years ago that the final product was pretty bad. Bloodborne has a card game currently that's totally fine if nothing spectacular.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Thirst all over the shop. Get to it Sony and From, both of you already! People want more Bloodborne!

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
backed withing a minute of it being out... so hyped I hope it goes all the way, also secondly my partner is a bloodborne style hunter in a D&D game of mine so the minis would help immensely.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump this. But fucking hell ppl are thirsty. It's at almost 1.3M! What's the highest backed boardgame?