• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello. A.J. from Video Chums here. Just wanted to express that I sincerely didn't like Blood & Truth and I was incredibly surprised by the great scores that it's getting. I honestly thought that it would get a 5 to 6 average score on Metacritic. Keep in mind, I wrote and scored my review well before I knew what anyone else was going to give it; not that that would have changed anything, in all honesty.

Obviously, my opinion is extremely unpopular in this case. However, I can assure you that I didn't give it a poor score "just for clicks" and I have never done that for any of the 1123 reviews that I wrote over the years. That practice is downright sickening. I simply didn't like the game but I respect everyone who does. In fact, I'm happy that most reviewers enjoyed themselves.

Anyway, I understand the insulting comments towards me because my review score upset some people and I feel bad that people are upset. So, please enjoy the game and disregard my review if you disagree with it. I still stand by it, though, unpopular as it may be.

For my part, I think it's perfectly fine that you didn't like the game. That's your opinion, and you're well within your right to express that with a score of 2.9.

I just want to say I'd have far more respect for your opinion if your review didn't read like a high school assignment. It's seriously one of the most poorly written reviews I've read in some time.

I'm speaking from a writer's perspective and, you know, just my personal opinion.

I'll be buying the game. From the better written reviews out there it sounds like it is exactly what I want from the experience.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Guys why are you obsessing so much over one review?

If you disagree with it so much just ignore the site now and in future and move on. I agree it does seem a little crazy but there's no point obsessing over one reviewers opinion.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you disagree with it so much just ignore the site now and in future and move on. I agree it does seem a little crazy but there's no point obsessing over one reviewers opinion.

I'm not! Promise!

I'm just baffled at what passes for publishable prose these days.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley

Because this is a review thread? And because that review is both poorly written and seems like the reviewer, who is in this thread, is proud of it despite trashing it and making poor arguments about his actual score. Their description of the gameplay mechanics and sequences clash with what is described in nesely every other review, and my own time with the game.

Or should we not discuss reviews in review threads? lol

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
2.9/10 ????? I guess Video Chums (whoever they are) are still on the hate VR bandwagon and really need those clicks.

Thankfully all the other reviews are really good, as expected. Cannot wait to play it.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because this is a review thread? And because that review is both poorly written and seems like the reviewer, who is in this thread, is proud of it despite trashing it and making poor arguments about his actual score. Their description of the gameplay mechanics and sequences clash with what is described in nesely every other review, and my own time with the game.

^

A.J. from VC

Video Chums
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly, I am not even mad about the review. The review just read like you had technical problems all the way through, which seemed to have heavily impacted your overall enjoyment of the game. Despite that, I still can't wrap my head around the 2.9 it received given that you were expecting an average of 5 or 6 on Metacritic. For me, something that gets a score under 4 or 5 is usually literally broken to its bones.

I see. Well, I did think it was broken to its bones. Also, when I said that I thought it would have an average of 5 to 6, I meant that it would get anywhere from a 2 to an 8 so mine would be on the lower side but not by much. I was clearly wrong, though, but I'm okay with that.

For my part, I think it's perfectly fine that you didn't like the game. That's your opinion, and you're well within your right to express that with a score of 2.9.

I just want to say I'd have far more respect for your opinion if your review didn't read like a high school assignment. It's seriously one of the most poorly written reviews I've read in some time.

I'm speaking from a writer's perspective and, you know, just my personal opinion.

I'll be buying the game. From the better written reviews out there it sounds like it is exactly what I want from the experience.

Although your comment is insulting, I don't really mind. I try to write my reviews as if they're a conversation with the reader instead of being a dictator who owns a thesaurus and if you don't enjoy that and think that it reads "like a high school assignment" then I guess my reviews aren't for you. I know people generally enjoy them, though, as I usually get a substantial amount of positive feedback.

Hi, MultiverseMob. Do you mind elaborating on which specific descriptions clash?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
2.9/10 ????? I guess Video Chums (whoever they are) are still on the hate VR bandwagon and really need those clicks.

Thankfully all the other reviews are really good, as expected. Cannot wait to play it.
Don't think so - the same person seemed to like their time with Ghost Giant on PSVR.

It seems more like they had a clear bias against the type of game it was, amid bugs or misunderstanding of the UI / mechanics, including images that depict "picking the nose" of a character during a shooting sequence as making it "tolerable".

They also seem to completely misunderstand the plot points, making it seem that shooting paint at a wall INTENDED to be shot with paint, as some some sort of negative. They may have meant shooting paint at giant photos of a character, who also happens to be a villain so... again, someone wasn't paying attention.

Claims about headshots not working and shooting certain enemies multiple times seems to me as if they didn't actually make those shots, perhaps due to not correctly using tactical sight (if at all) or perhaps their disinterest in lining up shots / increasing precision by bringing the controllers together to steady the weapons. Could even just be tracking issues they didn't account for while using PSVR.

Any number of things are possible, but as Footos22 pointed out above the review is written in such a way that it makes it hard to get through, let alone take seriously. Normally a lower score doesn't matter to me, as opinions and all that, but this particular review just seems very bizarre.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
can we not focus just on that ONE review and instead talk about the game's reception in general as a whole?

felt like some of you are trapped in a circle.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
can we not focus just on that ONE review and instead talk about the game's reception in general as a whole?

Considering most of us only mentioned it once or twice, you might just be reading into it too much. Or you could do exactly what you're suggesting!

I'm still looking at reviews, after playing through a few hours of the game. I love that you can fast-fire revolvers using your other hand on the hammer.

Video reviews are easier right now, as I'm getting sleepy, but will definitely read more of the reviews in the morning / during lunch.

Tradesman

May 22, 2019
I want to play this but move controllers are hard to find in UK now , wonder what it's like with dual shock ?

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

giphy.gif

🤣🤣🤣

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hmm after he posted that review in the atrocious review thread I now think this was purely for clicks.

I know I said stop talking about it but that seemed strange.

A.J. from VC

Video Chums
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
It seems more like they had a clear bias against the type of game it was

This might be true but not intentionally.

misunderstanding of the UI / mechanics ... Claims about headshots not working and shooting certain enemies multiple times seems to me as if they didn't actually make those shots, perhaps due to not correctly using tactical sight (if at all) or perhaps their disinterest in lining up shots / increasing precision by bringing the controllers together to steady the weapons. Could even just be tracking issues they didn't account for while using PSVR.
I assure you, I did all of that and understand the mechanics perfectly. The tracking was fine, too. No issues with that.
including images that depict "picking the nose" of a character during a shooting sequence as making it "tolerable".
Actually, that was right before the shooting segment.
They also seem to completely misunderstand the plot points, making it seem that shooting paint at a wall INTENDED to be shot with paint, as some some sort of negative. They may have meant shooting paint at giant photos of a character, who also happens to be a villain so... again, someone wasn't paying attention.
I got the story and didn't criticise that art museum part. Only wrote a silly caption for a screenshot. It wasn't meant to be criticism.

Hmm after he posted that review in the atrocious review thread I now think this was purely for clicks.

Honestly, I just wanted to beat other people to it. Edit: I removed it, by the way.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play this but move controllers are hard to find in UK now , wonder what it's like with dual shock ?
If it can help I found mine on something like craigslist but you can aslo find some at flea market (especialy the ps3 versions which doesn't really change much)
I got mine + the Eyetoy for 20€ sold the Eyetoy for 15€.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Very good scores, It's nice to have an action paced shooter you can just jump into without high production values. I thought I would hate the lack of locomotion, But it's not too bad. Reloading and shooting never gets old, It's pure gaming fun.

Can we please have some new controllers though Sony. Moves work fine, But it would help tremendously If we had actual motion controllers with analogues.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

Wait... what!?!?! 🤔😖😤🤬

EDIT: He would have had the same result if he gave that game a 5. A 2.9 almost seem like personal bias or even arbitrary to some extend. The fact that when he replied to someone here, he had to quote the number of reviews he wrote for the website seems to be out of context to show he was not "biased". Sounds like he feels his work or website is underappreciated (kinda liked his Days Gone Review... 8.8/10), which makes it ever more than suspicious that he did it for the clicks. He seems to point out to technical problems other reviewers didn't encounter or notice, which is odd honestly. Given the lenghts he went to explain how broken the game was,this feels out of place.

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly a review is a review. If the reviewer genuinely felt that way that's fine. Voices shouldn't be silenced.

However, writers need to understand that when you post a review so far off the median that it enters parody - that at the very least your written review need to be well thought and written.

The Video Chums review reads like a 5 but the final score seems far fetched still. I haven't played the game so I won't comment on that.

Ultimately Video Chums has their reputation and relationship with Sony on on the line, and if they feel comfortable with this review - than I think this says more about their editorial process and less about the game. That's not a good look fam.

A.J. from VC

Video Chums
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
However, writers need to understand that when you post a review so far off the median that it enters parody - that at the very least your written review need to be well thought and written.

Ultimately Video Chums has their reputation and relationship with Sony on on the line, and if they feel comfortable with this review - than I think this says more about their editorial process and less about the game. That's not a good look fam.
For the record, there was no median when I wrote the review. When you write a review well before the embargo, it's impossible to know what other folks scored the game. Although knowing wouldn't have changed anything. I still don't like the game and stand by my review.

Also, if reviewers aren't reviewing games honestly because they're worried about their relationships with companies then that's incredibly shifty. I'd much rather burn bridges and be completely honest than inflate my review scores just to make companies happy.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
For the record, there was no median when I wrote the review. When you write a review well before the embargo, it's impossible to know what other folks scored the game. Although knowing wouldn't have changed anything. I still don't like the game and stand by my review.

Also, if reviewers aren't reviewing games honestly because they're worried about their relationships with companies then that's incredibly shifty. I'd much rather burn bridges and be completely honest than inflate my review scores just to make companies happy.
It's less about the companies and more about the people who work on those games. Reviews like this can significantly affect their bonuses, which are granted for their hard work if they meet a certain aggregated score.

Jan 4, 2018
Reviews are great so far, do I just play this with two move remotes? how do I move? lol
You move to predefined locations (that are usually near or behind cover). Generally, to move forward you look at a spot marked by an arrow and press the 'move' button, or use the face buttons to strafe left and right to (again, to predefined spots). Most of the time you can't move backward, which is kind of annoying at first, but it's never really necessary to do so and the simplicity of it actually works relatively well in the end.

Last edited:

A.J. from VC

Video Chums
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
He would have had the same result if he gave that game a 5. A 2.9 almost seem like personal bias or even arbitrary to some extend. The fact that when he replied to someone here, he had to quote the number of reviews he wrote for the website seems to be out of context to show he was not "biased". Sounds like he feels his work or website is underappreciated (kinda liked his Days Gone Review... 8.8/10), which makes it ever more than suspicious that he did it for the clicks. He seems to point out to technical problems other reviewers didn't encounter or notice, which is odd honestly. Given the lenghts he went to explain how broken the game was,this feels out of place.
I'm very happy with Video Chums and don't feel that it's underappreciated. Honestly, the fact that we have plenty of return visitors who enjoy our content is something that makes me extremely happy and something that I thought would take much longer to achieve. I've been running the site for almost 5 years and haven't resorted to underhanded tactics to get visitors and never will. I just didn't like one game that other people loved (unbeknownst to me). So, please don't think up silly conspiracy theories. I didn't score this game poorly for clicks. I just didn't like it.
It's less about the companies and more about the people who work on those games. Reviews like this can significantly affect their bonuses, which are granted for their hard work if they meet a certain aggregated score.
Honestly, that's fine with me. I greatly appreciate how hard game developers work. But still, I'm not going to inflate my scores because I'm worried someone will get less of a bonus. That's ridiculous.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
From what I gather you point and click where you want to go and strafe using the face buttons.
This. And also, you do not teleport but the character physically moves between the points while you still an freely aim and shoot.
The system sounds limiting on paper but in game, I found it to bee more free than I had feared. Also because there are usually 2 or more points aligned horizontally between which you can freely strafe with the x/o button.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That is a horrible practice that reviewers should not pay attention to when reviewing games.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Devs work hard, but why should them maybe getting a bonus for high reviews affect someone's opinion of the game?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I need to spend some quality time with PSVR again. Dreams took a big chunk, then Days Gone (still need to finish). And now Oculus Quest is in its honeymoon phase with me.

But this, Everybody's golf, and Ghost Giant - All seem well received and are my kind of thing (especially EG)

Have to get Days Gone out of the way first though

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I really slagged this game off when I first saw its reveal trailer (at E3 last year I believe it was?). I'm glad that my preconceptions were dashed and the game ended up being very good indeed.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Very happy to see that (apart from one) reviews are looking good. Can't wait to get stuck in with this tomorrow. I'm more hyped about this game than I have been for a game in a while!

The fact that Move controllers arent easy to buy right now seems a major fuck up by Sony. You've got this big flagship VR title coming out, and some gamers will be forced to play with an inferior control system.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
This game and Observation will be a nice change of pace after beating Days Gone (which I took my sweet time with).
Hopefully I can get stuck into it this weekend.

Congrats to London studio on the reviews!

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is such a cool game. Thanks for sharing our review. I hope London Studio gets to focus on PSVR2 now.