• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Will add more as they are posted

GamesRadar

But the guns. Oh dear lord, the guns. Precise, and with minute vibrations when you reload and holster them, they feel fantastic to shoot. Although dual-wielding is chaotic, manic fun, if you bring one of the move controllers under the hand holding a pistol, for example, you can steady your aim and look down the sights. Pick up a SMG, and hold one of the move controllers to your shoulder to steady the gun against your body, making your aim more precise. Or you can dual-wield combat shotguns and just obliterate anything standing in front of you. Simple, but effective.
Those details give Blood and Truth a completely new sensation I've rarely felt while playing FPSs, one that makes me feel like I've earned every headshot. Plus if you've been on the internet you might have seen those videos of Keanu Reeves demolishing cut-outs at a shooting range at devastating speed. Well, if you didn't feel quite like John Wick in Blood and Truth's story, you can practise your aim and speed by completing challenges in the game's training area and compete with your friends in the challenge leaderboard. After having seen it in action the challenges already feel dangerously addictive, as you need to be on high alert to spot friendlies and get those sweet, sweet headshots.
https://www.gamesradar.com/blood-and-truth-preview/

UploadVR
More importantly, though, Blood & Truth seems to have genuine consideration for its platform in every strand of its DNA. It adheres to some of the core thrills of the first-person shooters (FPS) we've been playing for decades, whilst also deviating from others in meaningful ways. Ammo clips, for example, are generous in count to mimic the seemingly unending number of rounds Hollywood heroes can fire before needing to reload. Lockpicking is simplified to a few twists of a Move controller and stylish slow-motion sequences paint giant white targets on things that will explode when shot.

I spot a few more of these choices in my latest demo, taking me through the game's opening mission. I love the way Blood & Truth highlights points of interest in the game world with a chalky overlay. I love how it doesn't shy away from bringing you up close to its cast of characters. And I love Sony London's genuine desire to get your heartbeat pumping, be it in an all-out synchronized assault across some rooftops, or getting you to hang from the edge of a shipping container dangled in mid-air.

And yet I still can't escape my fear that all of this glamor and glitz won't go beyond the surface level. We've seen a lot of Blood & Truth over the past two and a half years but often in five minute slices that showcase a sufficient amount of bangs and bullets. Each demo has been fun in its own right but they don't give much sense of the cohesion that ties it all together. This week I've seen the individual threads that suggest there's more to the story than a simple shooting gallery. Now it's time to prove it.

Whyte's words give me hope.

"There's what we call intensity fatigue," he says. "It's just like, when you're in the middle of a fire fight, it just gets so crazy and tense that you actually need to break up the game. Pacing within VR and certainly within Blood & Truth is something that we've found super critical. It's not just one long gun fight. You've got to break it up it…the interactions, the drama, the exploring the environment. There's a lot of subtlety to getting that right."
https://uploadvr.com/blood-and-truth-studio-tour/

IGN Benelux
Where I initially started the day with the feeling that Blood & Truth would be a small step ahead of what London Heist was, this feels like a fully-fledged game. The play sessions and the subsequent hands-off images left me with the feeling that I wanted to play more. In any case, we don't have to wait long, because Blood and Truth will be exclusively available for PlayStation VR on 28 May.
https://nl.ign.com/blood-truth/114379/preview/blood-truth-hands-on-preview

Telegraph
Set-pieces, meanwhile, are carefully choreographed and laden with slow-motion and visual FX that bombard the headset-wearing player. In one instance, I am sprinting through a collapsing building before being launched into the London sky, stomach lurching as I panickedly stretch out to grab onto a suspended shipping container. Nearly toppling off my (real-world) chair as I do so.

London, meanwhile, has been painstakingly recreated in some scenes for a sense of authenticity. While the soundtrack is a smart and fiery mix of modern grime music and sweeping orchestral score. The music director tells me that the soundtrack will swell and expand if you are pulling off particularly spectacular 'gun-fu' style.

Of course, as impressive as they are, snatches of over-the-top action and stellar production values can only tell so much of the story. And time will tell if Blood & Truth will hold together across the course of its running time. But one thing that seems obvious from its bombast is that VR game development has moved to the next level, at least at Sony, where it continues to toast the success of its 4million selling headset.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...d-scenes-british-gangster-thriller-new-level/

PushSquare

This makes up for the fact that the traversal is somewhat on rails. While there are veterans of PSVR who may balk at the node-based navigation, the reality is that the developer wants to put the emphasis on your hands. And so the fun in combat gauntlets comes more from your firearm skills than your body's positioning. For example, holding the triangle button enables you to spin weapons on your finger, allowing you to follow-up quick draws with some showboating before picking off the enemies in front of you.

It goes further than that, though. You can toss ammunition up in the air and then catch it in the butt of your gun, or you can feather revolvers like you're in the Wild West to increase your shooting speed. Everything feels intuitive, natural, and, most importantly of all, fun – heck, you can even flip some foes the bird before you put a bullet in their bonce. It really doesn't take itself too seriously, which means there's one moment in a nightclub where you can assume the role as DJ and start mixing some tracks to an empty club. Again, everything is completely interactive using the PS Move wands.

While the story's unlikely to last longer than six hours, London Studio is packing it with extra content. There's a whole bonus location which serves as a museum for you to horde your collectibles – and yes, you can collect and smoke vapes in a variety of different flavours. There's a shooting gallery for you to test out your weapons, each of which can be customised with different attachments that you unlock, and there's even a spray paint tool that you can use to physically paint your firearms different colours. Everything is completely interactive – even balls of paper which you can toss in the bin.

And then there's the arcade shooting galleries, which test your accuracy and speed across a variety of locations taken from the game. It sounds like the developer has plans to update the title post-release, and there may yet be a skill mode which will not only challenge you to take out targets, but to also showcase your weapon wielding abilities. Leaderboards will make their way into the title post-release, so you'll be able to compare your personal bests against others. And the studio may not be done there, although it's currently keeping a lid on any other future plans.
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/05/hands_on_blood_and_truth_elevates_psvr_to_the_next_level

Eurogamer
With Blood & Truth effectively an on-rails shooter, it might make you think it's a restrictive experience. From the small slice I've played, though, it's anything but, and while you are funnelled along a fairly narrow path you're still afforded a lot to do in that small space. Blood & Truth gets that VR is a performative medium, at its best when it has you truly embody the space, and as such it has plenty of tricks that help usher you into another world.

Press a button and you can balance your gun on your trigger finger, then duly spin it on the spot (other tricks are also available as you progress in the game). Have one hand that's free and you can cycle through gestures - and yes, you can flip the bird - while reloading is a pleasingly tactile gesture that you can embellish with your own flourishes. It's gun-fu, essentially, as recently popularised by the John Wick films, and in Blood & Truth it feels every bit as good as it looks on the big screen. It's a simple game, yes, but it's those small things that could make it very special indeed.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...t-a-getaway-game-now-its-a-psvr-system-seller

Junkee
Physically aiming the Move controller and squeezing its trigger made me feel like an absolute badarse even when my shots went wide, which happened often. Aiming in Blood and Truth is rougher than PC gamers would be used to. Though looking down your floaty gun's sights for the green crosshairs significantly improves accuracy, one-shotting enemies isn't the norm.

Still, I wasn't terribly bothered. It felt truer than if I was making pretty headshots all the time, and made me pay closer attention to my aim. Pressing both Move buttons at the same time also slowed time for a moment, allowing me to go full action hero and get off some quick, precise shots.

I found unexpected pleasure in reloading my gun as well, which gave me a great feeling of hypercompetence. To reload, you grab an ammo pack from your chest and manually insert it into the handle of your weapon. It's swift and forgiving, so you aren't jigsawing objects together in the middle of a gunfight, and I quickly found myself reloading during firefights almost seamlessly.

Yet all of this is easily overlooked due to how incredibly cool Blood and Truthmakes you feel. Whether you use both hands to carefully line up shots with your pistol, or nonsensically duel-wield an assault rifle and silenced handgun, the game transforms you into a big screen action hero ready and able to perforate some bad guys.

Blood and Truth is essentially a badarse simulator. Who can say no to that?
https://junkee.com/blood-truth-first-impressions/206146

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I think that's a banned site. Hence the *****

Ok sry.

IGN Benelux
https://nl.ign.com/blood-truth/114379/preview/blood-truth-hands-on-preview

Where I initially started the day with the feeling that Blood & Truth would be a small step ahead of what London Heist was, this feels like a fully-fledged game. The play sessions and the subsequent hands-off images left me with the feeling that I wanted to play more. In any case, we don't have to wait long, because Blood and Truth will be exclusively available for PlayStation VR on 28 May.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
London Heist is one of my favorite VR experiences so far so I am very excited for a full game like it. Seems like London Studio delivered on the promise of the demo.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
"There's what we call intensity fatigue," he says. "It's just like, when you're in the middle of a fire fight, it just gets so crazy and tense that you actually need to break up the game. Pacing within VR and certainly within Blood & Truth is something that we've found super critical. It's not just one long gun fight. You've got to break it up it…the interactions, the drama, the exploring the environment. There's a lot of subtlety to getting that right."

This is so aware. It's exactly what I want to hear from them and hopefully their awareness comes to fruition in the full game. This is what you need to make something like this stand out. It needs to hit you hard, but there also must be time to breathe and live. In short, it needs to be a roller coaster ride without being a campy "Roller Coaster VR" experience. I have faith based on London Heist and that quote.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This could end up being fantastic if the set pieces are epic enough.

Playing through Modern Warfare Remastered this week made me think that specific highly-guided, almost rollercoaster-like setpieces from the old Infinity Ward would have been fantastic in VR. They were nearly onrails already, but keeping that pace and dragging you from explosion to explosion would be fantastic in the headset, and this game could definitely capture that feeling if done right

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is good, but I don't know if I will play it. FPS in VR gives me a lot of anxiety lol.
I used to play CS competitively (1.5-Source), but it feels too much like people are shooting at ME instead of my character in VR.

I played like an hour of Firewall and was sweating profusely and my heart was beating so fast. All I was doing was tutorial stuff lol
I still have Farpoint and Borderlands 2 waiting in the wings so maybe I just need to acclimate and I'll be fine...

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is good, but I don't know if I will play it. FPS in VR gives me a lot of anxiety lol.
I used to play CS competitively (1.5-Source), but it feels too much like people are shooting at ME instead of my character in VR.

I played like an hour of Firewall and was sweating profusely and my heart was beating so fast. All I was doing was tutorial stuff lol
I still have Farpoint and Borderlands 2 waiting in the wings so maybe I just need to acclimate and I'll be fine...
VR puts you there, Thats the beauty of it, You feel inside whatever gaming world it is. I recommend Farpoint, Visually still the best FPS on PSVR.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil

I agree. That scene where a revolver is point to your head head in London Heist is still one of my memorable VR moments, because felt so real and threatening. It got me really uncomfortable.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
looks like i'm gonna have to buy the bastard, i'm struggling to make time for vr but i can't pass this up.

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing John Wick 3 yesterday, I really wanted to play something that captures that badass action hero feeling. Looks like this might be that game.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Hype is real. Loving the blockbuster vibe; and the story looks like it could have a lot of charm. Hoping the guns sound good.

Still haven't tried London Heist unfourtately!

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
After this is out, they need to rev up marketing for Iron Man VR. I need more of that.

I'm seriously hoping these 2 games can increase mind share with people about PSVR. 7-8 mil goal of units sold by the end of the year would be amazing.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered this back when it went up, really can't wait.

After this is out, they need to rev up marketing for Iron Man VR. I need more of that.

I'm seriously hoping these 2 games can increase mind share with people about PSVR. 7-8 mil goal of units sold by the end of the year would be amazing.
Yes, damned excited to see more of Iron Man.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
It delivers a bit more besides. Blood & Truth is that relatively uncommon thing - a big, triple-A standalone VR experience, and exactly the kind of thing that could be a system-seller for PlayStation VR. Hell, if you've yet to convert to this magical new medium, then this should really do the trick too. Coming off the back of last year's wonderful Astro Bot Rescue Mission, it shows that Sony is willing and able to invest in serious development for VR (again, perhaps unsurprisingly so, seeing as it has its own VR hardware to shift).

Blood & Truth feels every bit like a second generation VR game, one that's more assured in its use of the medium. The opening scene, as you're strapped in a chair and briefed by a no-nonsense sort played by actor Colin Salmon, has an incredible sense of presence - it's the way that Salmon's eyes follow your movements, perhaps, or in the bits of business that allow you to tinker. It's how Salmon puts up a very professional demeanour by choosing to ignore the moment I pick up and fling a clipboard at his head before flipping the bird at him throughout the remainder of his animated talk.

With Blood & Truth effectively an on-rails shooter, it might make you think it's a restrictive experience. From the small slice I've played, though, it's anything but, and while you are funnelled along a fairly narrow path you're still afforded a lot to do in that small space. Blood & Truth gets that VR is a performative medium, at its best when it has you truly embody the space, and as such it has plenty of tricks that help usher you into another world.

It's gun-fu, essentially, as recently popularised by the John Wick films, and in Blood & Truth it feels every bit as good as it looks on the big screen. It's a simple game, yes, but it's those small things that could make it very special indeed.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...t-a-getaway-game-now-its-a-psvr-system-seller

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome we need big VR titles like this to show companies what can be accomplished. I hope Valve is right behind them with their titles. I need the industry to push the hardware and software forward. The natural/intuitive nature of VR can be a new paradigm in gaming.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Junkee
Physically aiming the Move controller and squeezing its trigger made me feel like an absolute badarse even when my shots went wide, which happened often. Aiming in Blood and Truth is rougher than PC gamers would be used to. Though looking down your floaty gun's sights for the green crosshairs significantly improves accuracy, one-shotting enemies isn't the norm.

Still, I wasn't terribly bothered. It felt truer than if I was making pretty headshots all the time, and made me pay closer attention to my aim. Pressing both Move buttons at the same time also slowed time for a moment, allowing me to go full action hero and get off some quick, precise shots.

I found unexpected pleasure in reloading my gun as well, which gave me a great feeling of hypercompetence. To reload, you grab an ammo pack from your chest and manually insert it into the handle of your weapon. It's swift and forgiving, so you aren't jigsawing objects together in the middle of a gunfight, and I quickly found myself reloading during firefights almost seamlessly.

Yet all of this is easily overlooked due to how incredibly cool Blood and Truthmakes you feel. Whether you use both hands to carefully line up shots with your pistol, or nonsensically duel-wield an assault rifle and silenced handgun, the game transforms you into a big screen action hero ready and able to perforate some bad guys.

Blood and Truth is essentially a badarse simulator. Who can say no to that?
https://junkee.com/blood-truth-first-impressions/206146