• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I only played a bit of the second game. How does this compare?

If playing Blood 2 is like getting served a platter of shit, playing Blood 1 is like getting served a platter of the most delicious meal you could imagine.

Blood 1 is one of the best FPS games ever, while the sequel is straight up awful. Anyhow, I'd buy this if they ported it to consoles.

But where's Blood 2?

Rotting in Hell with Chernabog.

Goosenman

Nov 6, 2017
Yes! Great game!

The Flare Gun alone was worth the price of the admission.

We want Jojo, we want Jojo.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
YEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!! man i loved playing all kind of FPS back then and BLOOD was among my favorites. This really makes me happy.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I was happy to see the news. I opened and I saw that they are remaking the same game while keeping everything the same...
I expected something like the System Shock remake..
I had the game on Steam and it is still unplayable. I hope they will offer this for free for those who have it.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Outstanding news. One of the best single player FPS ever.

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Oh wow I'm all over this. Blood is easily in my top five, maybe top three FPS of all time, alongside Doom and Hexen. Super excited for a rerelease.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I am a Happy Human Being.
I hope the graphics be much better now and enjoy it once more time.

Oct 27, 2017

Graphically it was fairly impressive back in the day, and it still holds up decently. But the story, humor and setting is just awful. The gameplay is kinda eh too.

OG Blood was a gothic horror revenge story with demons set in the early 20th century. Blood 2 is some weird futuristic sorta scifi story about portals and interdimensional monsters and the Cabal trying to summon portalz and monsterz for some reason. But by the time you get that far you've already stopped caring because everything is just so goddamn bad and stupid and all the awesome horror references from the first game are gone.

I frankly consider it one of the worst sequels ever made, and I will never forgive Monolith for killing the franchise with that steaming turd of a game.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they keep the music as well. The CD included redbook audio and I listened to it a lot back in the day

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Works well except horrible nauseating screen tearing on Steam version + Blood gdx. You have to spend some time preparing the controls for a modern setup but I would have finished the game if it weren't for becoming nauseous over screen tearing. I used 120fps settings. 60fps felt horrible

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Agreed, love Build games. I have only played Duke, Blood, SW and RR. I have never played Powerslave. Is it good?

The PC version is a Build game and was enjoyable at the time as a standard FPS. However PowerslaveEX (which was previously released by the developer of the recent Night Dive remasters) was based on the Playstation version which was a pretty different game, much more of a metroidvania really, and has a good reputation. The EX version was originally released under the presumption that the original rights holders were defunct, however I think that swiftly turned out not to be the case; the upcoming rerelease is likely a more polished version.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Works well except horrible nauseating screen tearing on Steam version + Blood gdx. You have to spend some time preparing the controls for a modern setup but I would have finished the game if it weren't for becoming nauseous over screen tearing. I used 120fps settings. 60fps felt horrible

The same happens to me with eDuke and Shadow Warrior remaster. It's either stutter or tearing.

I haven't had any problems with games from the Kex Engine though.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Nightdive Studios and Stephen Kick are some of the best things to happen to video games culture

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
are im the only one that thinks BLOOD and BLOOD II are pretty bad?
BLOOD II was so wierd in some ways too

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I didn't play Blood until it was released on gog.com some 15 or so years after its original release, and it still turned out to be one of my favorite FPS games ever.
I love the look and feel of Build games, but getting them working 100% perfect has been really difficult on modern PCs.

If Nightdive gets this game running perfect, I will love them forever and give them my money on day one. Just let us have those crunchy unfiltered pixels please. :)

I was able to get Powerslave EX before it disappeared, and it plays like a dream so I trust them.

Nov 2, 2017
The PC version is a Build game and was enjoyable at the time as a standard FPS. However PowerslaveEX (which was previously released by the developer of the recent Night Dive remasters) was based on the Playstation version which was a pretty different game, much more of a metroidvania really, and has a good reputation. The EX version was originally released under the presumption that the original rights holders were defunct, however I think that swiftly turned out not to be the case; the upcoming rerelease is likely a more polished version.
Interesting. I'll definitely check out the Powerslave remaster.
I remember picking up a two-pack with SHOGO and Septerra Core in it. I wish they'd re-release both, especially to address Septerra Core's reliance on a really old version of QuickTime being installed on your system to run properly.
I remember that 2-pack. I loved Shogo. I believe that was built with same engine (lith 2.0?) and released at around the same time as Blood 2. Those games had such weird explosions (as did Quake 2), everything mushroom clouding haha. Blood 2 was okay but I tend to agree with popular opinion that 1 was just much more polished and inspired. Duke remains the King of Build for me, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Can't wait to suffer for two maps before getting the stun-happy Tommy gun to hold Cultists in place. That's maybe the only big flaw in BLOOD since they'll fuck your shit up and force more cover shooting that necessary. Lack of cover early on will kill you too easily..

Otherwise, it's an amazing FPS with tons of great ideas, challenges, and replayability.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Interesting. I'll definitely check out the Powerslave remaster.
I think that was pulled. Also, it's based on the PlayStation version, which isn't bad, but it's unfortunate that we couldn't have all of the stuff from the Saturn version in a re-release. FYI, I seem to recall it having a preference for running on AMD hardware, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

I remember that 2-pack. I loved Shogo. I believe that was built with same engine (lith 2.0?) and released at around the same time as Blood 2. Those games had such weird explosions (as did Quake 2), everything mushroom clouding haha. Blood 2 was okay but I tend to agree with popular opinion that 1 was just much more polished and inspired. Duke remains the King of Build for me, though.
Oh, yeah, I was thinking about that while watching Game Informer's Super Replay of Dynamite Cop a while back. I think it's funny how explosion rendering has changed.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they put game pad support in there. I want to play this on my GPD Win 2.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.pcgamesn.com/blood-one-unit-whole-blood/blood-remastered-release-date

It looks like Blood Remastered is coming out next month

Now a tweet from developer Samuel 'Kaiser' Villarreal claims that the game will at last be released in April, "as in this year" he confirms. The tweet was deleted, but was caught because it was posted on the internet.

Villarreal is the developer behind the 'Kex' remaster projects, which include Doom64EX, PowerslaveEX, and others – which are designed to imitate the look and feel of these classic shooters as closely as possible, except with a range of enhancements and support for modern systems. His work has been tapped by Night Dive before, for their Turok re-releases, and now he's currently working on BloodEX for Blood Remastered.

He tweeted out about the release date for Blood Remastered in a reply to Polygon's article yesterday about some new screenshots for the remaster, along with the comment "now stop asking me about it," but immediately deleted it. Twitter user Wario64 caught the tweet and reposted a picture of it.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Sweet. It has been ages since I played it. Re-bought on steam but haven't gotten around to playing it.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I can still hear the sound of the gargoyles dying and the weird Italian sounding threats the cultists were making. Also the ridiculously OTT announcer voice in multiplayer

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
give me a full remake pls

easily the best Build engine game

If playing Blood 2 is like getting served a platter of shit, playing Blood 1 is like getting served a platter of the most delicious meal you could imagine.

Blood 1 is one of the best FPS games ever, while the sequel is straight up awful. Anyhow, I'd buy this if they ported it to consoles.

this guy knows what's up