• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

What happens when a medium that communicates largely through violent content becomes obsessed with realism? Traumatic experiences for developers is what happens.

As "AAA" studios achieve evermore believable violence, the artists creating these games are pressured to study the real thing. For years, developers have been poring over authentic imagery involving hangings, stabbings, slaughter and death.

They do this without any psychological guidance or structural care. Rarely are they even warned what they're in for. And as companies like Naughty Dog try to make us feel like we're actually murdering somebody, the question must be asked... who the hell even wants that?

Last edited:

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Before everyone shits on Jim as usual, please watch the video at least. He shares some interviews with developers that actually were affected by the shit they had to see.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably best to add this description to the OP Empyrean Cocytus

What happens when a medium that communicates largely through violent content becomes obsessed with realism? Traumatic experiences for developers is what happens.

As "AAA" studios achieve evermore believable violence, the artists creating these games are pressured to study the real thing. For years, developers have been poring over authentic imagery involving hangings, stabbings, slaughter and death.

They do this without any psychological guidance or structural care. Rarely are they even warned what they're in for. And as companies like Naughty Dog try to make us feel like we're actually murdering somebody, the question must be asked... who the hell even wants that?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And as companies like Naughty Dog try to make us feel like we're actually murdering somebody, the question must be asked... who the hell even wants that?

I feel like we should have been asking this for a while now.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
And as companies like Naughty Dog try to make us feel like we're actually murdering somebody, the question must be asked... who the hell even wants that?

so much this
trying to do a study of violence if fine, but it really doesn´t work in the same game that have explosive arrows and developers want to your guns to be part of your character

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good video. I agree with him that in regards to violence there is a line that represents well enough and that line shouldn't really be crossed. People are fine to not find it a problem at all obviously but with reference to MK this aspect is what has always kept me from engaging with that franchise at all, and it's disappointing TLOU2 in being a sequel to one of my favourite games is just looking at that level of violence and deciding that it wants a piece of that action too (or even more grotesque) and the justification for it is threadbare and callous as Jim quite rightly points out.

As he says, it's unnerving to say the least to be cognisant of the fact that devs can and have gone through trauma to reach this point, heck even just thinking about how there are possibly dozens and dozens of scraped 'dog yelps out in terror shortly before its death' takes on the scrap pile because they just didn't nail it *exactly* what it sounds like when dogs are brutalised is disturbing enough for me in relation to TLOU2, never mind the many other aspects of the game that compromise it.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel this brings much to the table that the Kotaku article about the subject brought up but it's still an important discussion and it's good Jim uses his platform to highlight this issue.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

For real - the shit in TLOU2 is gratuitous.

Still Day 1 though.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Meanwhile I was mocked on the state of play thread for saying TLOU 2's gore affects me more than Doom

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Good video. I agree with him that in regards to violence there is a line that represents well enough and that line shouldn't really be crossed. People are fine to not find it a problem at all obviously but with reference to MK this aspect is what has always kept me from engaging with that franchise at all, and it's disappointing TLOU2 in being a sequel to one of my favourite games is just looking at that level of violence and deciding that it wants a piece of that action too (or even more grotesque) and the justification for it is threadbare and callous as Jim quite rightly points out.

As he says, it's unnerving to say the least to be cognisant of the fact that devs can and have gone through trauma to reach this point, heck even just thinking about how there are possibly dozens and dozens of scraped 'dog yelps out in terror shortly before its death' takes on the scrap pile because they just didn't nail it *exactly* what it sounds like when dogs are brutalised is disturbing enough for me in relation to TLOU2, never mind the many other aspects of the game that compromise it.
Doesn't help that both of those are made in abusive workplaces.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile I was mocked on the state of play thread for saying TLOU 2's gore affects me more than Doom

That thread was a trashfire and not appropriately moderated. I'm kind of surprised ERA mods let so many people get away with their behaviour there, and in the follow up thread somebody made about how we treat people affected by fictional violence (where the OP was bullied into locking it).

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I was going to make a thread asking why people think games skew so extreme with content.

Like playing Tomb Raider or Days Gone, or the Last of Us or Call of Duty, Bioshock etc - mainstream AAA games that sell millions, the level of violence, depictions of torture and extremity are so far beyond what you'd find in all but the most extreme horror films.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of these games but games are so violent it's crazy compared to the equivalent big selling movies. Why? Predominately young male target market? Predominately young male creatives? Development of gaming as a medium?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
That thread was a trashfire and not appropriately moderated. I'm kind of surprised ERA mods let so many people get away with their behaviour there, and in the follow up thread somebody made about how we treat people affected by fictional violence (where the OP was bullied into locking it).
The OP of that thread also compared people who bought the game without knowing it's so gory to abuse victims.

Makeno made an incredible post about this issue in the State of Play thread.

Okay a lot of this post after this paragraph isn't a direct response to what you've just posted so feel free to ignore it if you want. I understand that tonality and context play a huge role in rationalising violence for the viewer, especially in the case of games, it's just I don't think what I've seen from TLOU is so far out from what other games or media have already shown me. The point about TLOU2 being designed to have a visceral reaction, I mean, yeah of course. they want you to have a reaction but that rings true for most media that leverages violence throughout. Imagine if Leo get's popped in the Departed but instead seeing the headshot, the blood splatter and the body holding the elevator door shut we're shown a gun fired from Leo's perspective, no cadaver and no quiet moment of introspection before the film continues, just fade to black and then Matt Damon waffling on. Kinda lame right?

Agency definitely has something to do with it from my perspective. I personally feel more remorse when I hold up a shop in GTA5 and then blow the dudes head off or when entering the saloon in RDR2, being nice, saying hello and then proceeding to murder everyone in cold blood (I no longer go on mass murdering sprees in GTA games for fun anymore, though I used to when I was younger - tbh I don't feel bad in the mass spree either, it's just a bit dull at this point). TLOU has to me avoided this feeling due to everyone in the game being hostile, including the dogs. Since this game will have a more open approach I'm wondering if you'll come across random NPCs that aren't violent but you could still kill for supplies or weapons, story scenarios. Maybe you can come across someone scavenging that clearly isn't a "bad" person like the rest but you gotta put them down because you need that can of Tuna. That would make me feel bad. These grunts? I've murdered millions of people with my square button, they are no problem to me. I see them as obstacles in my journey that need to be killed, either to make it easier or for some kind of reward. Dogs included. Every time this conversation comes up I feel like enormous effort is made to try and separate the violence and the setting + story when they're all entwined. You'd think after years of waffling on about ludonarrative dissonance you guys would relish some harmony when you see it.

What I find annoying about all this is that every time this "conversation" has come up in TLOU threads we've spent more time talking about people's right to feel rather than forming a discussion based on conclusions derived from those feelings. Other than that the conversations I've seen, and continue to see are often predicated on false or misleading information. Memba when Plum was going around telling everyone that ND had been making staff watch Snuff films? Without actually knowing what a snuff film is? (lol) Eventually gets called out and then slightly alters their reasoning for why the violence is bad still, yet here in this thread we have Crossing Eden making sure that everyone knows this violence is "referenced" and lo, should be inherently considered more powerful than imagery that is not on that basis alone. Adds gravitas to the conversation right?

When they talk like this I just can't help but think they just don't care to think how many violent depictions they've already seen, enjoyed, consumed over the years have been crafted by practical effect workers, 2D animators or 3D modellers that, yes, have referenced violent imagery. You think Rockstar managed to get that level of detail in RDR2 without references? Lmao come on. Over the past year I've been working at a studio and we shoot all sorts from Music Videos, Fashion Photography, Adverts, Movie Scenes, etc, etc. Every day a new client, new scenario - if only you guys knew what I've seen plastered to the poly boards as reference images part of their research in hair and makeup.

^Listen to her goals at the end. 4 years of school and more just to up her already strong game? Yeah, she's looking at some gruesome stuff I'll tell you that, now time for the question.

Why should I empathise with a point borne of someone's delusions? If they don't know already know that this stuff is already widely referenced across different mediums, why should I take them seriously?

Think of it this way. You're Naughty Dog, you're pumping millions into creating a video game that's violent af and you want to push the envelope - you're advertising for staff to work on the game, maybe animations, blood effects, the interviews are solely for the gore aspect. Are you hiring the artist than can hack this sort of stuff, has a history of work in a portfolio that has clearly been well referenced, anatomically correct and gruesome (what you're after) or are you going to pick the artist that can't actually make realistic gore, that has never that can't replicate the deeper red shade of blood with the orangey translucence of the plasma because they haven't referenced this stuff before? Because they can't or won't? Every time I saw this brought up I felt like I was taking crazy pills.

So what is the point? More graphic scenes of violence prompt a stronger response from the viewer? I can't say with all I've seen and done in games that's a shocking revelation, but what should we actually do with that information? Look at the thread Plum made (seriously though I had to laugh when I saw that thread pop up. Appealing for empathy in the most self absorbed way humanly possible), couldn't keep his powder dry so ends up thinking people that buy TLOU2 without knowing how gory it will be is equivalent to a state of victimhood, getting high of his own supply and crusading to justify his soapbox about.... what exactly? The lack of empathy on display to people that can't hack it? Even though this thread is home to these posts too?

Like, just miss me widdit.

I've sat through films by Gaspar Noe, Haneke, Tarantino, Park Chan-wook, Scorcese, Shane Meadows, and a lot more I can't be bothered to remember right now. You know what really hurts me from these kind movies, the thing that actually stays with me? How they utilised the violence within them to bolster the themes within. I watched Irreversible wellllll before I was legally allowed to and it was haunting. The actual gore and you know, 8 minute long rape scene doesn't actually bother me anymore due to how I compartmentalise reality and fiction - what bothers me about that movie is that during the rape scene you see someone walk into the tunnel for a moment, take a gander, and then walk out. That has stuck with me over the years. Or how while he's pummelling the guy with the fire extinguisher the actual rapist is in the back laughing. Through the brutality and gore it is the story that actually wounds me, the context to the violence. I've long thought that watching Ellie become just awful is what this game is about, and how Naughty Dog hopes to get people thinking "oh man, maybe he should have left her on the operating table". Even saying that now I can say that I'll probably be wrong but we're so close now it's like bruh, c'mon. We'll be able to directly compare the gore everything in the game soon - to me these discussions haven't developed since the E3 2018 video because the game hasn't shown us anything more gruesome since then. Two years ago. I'd be well up for having this conversation after TLOU2 comes out and we all actually know whats available and how people will react but instead every TLOU2 thread ends up the same way.

On the point of Irreversible I shouldn't have been watching it at 14, much like kids shouldn't be playing TLOU2 - *if you have decided to play it you'll need to steel yourself for the content. If you can't handle it, well, a shame. But you should probably stop if it's affecting your psyche* <-- Somehow people have taken what you would consider advice amongst friends and moulded it into a perceived slight against themselves.

I live with 6 other people and 2 of them can't handle gore and violent stuff in films so when we do get together, if we're with them we simply don't watch those kind of movies. What has happened here (and over the course of a great many TLOU2 threads) is the equivalent of one of these friends asking to watch one of those movies with us and rather than exclaiming "I can't handle it" if they find it too much to bear and then DOING something about it for themselves (either removing themselves from the environment or strengthening their resolve to stay) they instead stay and remind you, the people that can handle the imagery, over and over why they can't, now seemingly more interested in telling you about how you won't let them feel that way than the actual movie itself.

If the conversation is about desensitisation to violence then to me the conversation has already been had. It has long been accepted within Western society that it is acceptable to consume this form of imagery as a form of entertainment (of course within reason, yet to see TLOU2 crossing the line yet but there's obviously a massive chance it will). The rules have already been outlined in terms of violence and gore in games/film/serial programming/entertainment media for the masses and the rules are 1) not that many kids 2) no sexual penetration on screen, no vaginas and no erect penises 3) after the watershed.

TLDR: My actual point through all this? This conversation surrounding violence in TLOU and especially the one about dogs is a great example of how gamers and internet communities in general display a form of collective recency bias that combined with inherently blinkered and straight up uninformed views dished out by individual posters often unable to sincerely discuss with other people without being snide, fanboyish or "right" just works to foment animosity in these discussions and because of that any chance for genuine conversation tends to find itself suffocated.

It's quite frustrating because I would've actually liked to talk about videogame violence with some people in here that can't hack it. I was even thinking to create a thread about it yesterday and maybe get people to post clips that define their thresholds, information that might make certain situations more palatable for certain posters (I was attacked by a dangerous dog as a kid, and I'm certain part of why I've never cared for digidogs must stem there, even if I still love dogs), maybe listing all games that they've played this last year or so and how they compartmentalise the violence in those games, the situations that can form randomly in games forcing your hand (killing a wild animal in RDR2 or GTA5), kill counts, somatic responses, etc, but the way some of you frame these conversations.. It's just pointless from the outset.

EDIT: Of course this doesn't excuse any actual abuse or trauma the developers have suffered due to being exposed to this kind of material, but that's a different conversation.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen comments about TLOU2 saying the violence isn't gratuitous and it makes me wonder what they'd consider gratuitous.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's a very fair question to ask - We started to see some weird shit fetishization of violence in things like Tomb Raider 2012, and it's only gotten worse.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wow, I managed to make it into a Jim thread before the folks that shit all over him for no good reason. Look at me, all timely and shit.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't help that both of those are made in abusive workplaces.

Yeah this is true, and is something that I hadn't thought of at all before watching the video. As the Neteherealm dev said crunch is about culture not just chronologically. It sounds like their studio as well as ND need to improve greatly in this regard.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Right?
I can easily deal with Doom or MK (but 11 started pushing it too far) because they are very cartoonish and over the top.
TLoU 2 is just brutal

The big difference is just that. In Doom I'm ripping through one eyed flyind demons. In MK it is extremely over the top (I don't like MK either mind you though).

But in TLOU 2 you're doing this to regular human beings getting by. And you're seeing them struggling on the floor with pain trying to breath after you sticked a knife on their throat. Or you're seeing eyes roll backwards after you put a hammer to someone's head. All of this with what is arguably one of the most realistic graphics in games to date.

Edit: And maybe I'm forgetting how the game was, but I don't remember TLOU 1 showing this much. Apart from zombies exploding of course. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Very important conversation that needs to be had. Jim at his very best here

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that Neil Druckmann quote, why the fuck would I want to feel like I'm actually stabbing someone, like wtf is wrong with these people.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
They were wrong to mock. Of course the violence in TLOU 2 will be more affecting; one is near cartoon violence, the other has a level of realism that hasn't been seen in videogames before now.

I mean, just compare the violence in a film like Braindead (Dead Alive) to Irreversible. The two are so tonally different you're going to naturally find one far more disturbing than the other. If you think those two films are equal I'd be quite concerned!

Personally I'm fine with the violence in TLOU 2 but I can totally understand that some people will find it crosses a line. This is something that videogames will have to deal with going forwards as technology gets better and better.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
For real - the shit in TLOU2 is gratuitous.

Still Day 1 though.
Bruh
27549.jpg

I've been weary of the level of violence we accept when we are so close to photo realism.
In CoD Warzone theres a finishing move where your character struggles to live for half of it, and all I could think was like why wouldn't you want to have an animation where you do a little ocelot revolver trick instead of a finisher mostly focused on my character

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway here's my own personal experience.

Doom Eternal is a gory as fuck game, but it's also about a Lego spaceman killing red and purple robot demons with a chainsaw.

Think of what we see in, say, the fatalities in Mortal Kombat, that one shot meant to be as brutal as possible, and then think about how much work went on and how much detail and modelling the graphic artists put into it.

The OP of that thread also compared people who bought the game without knowing it's so gory to abuse victims.

Makeno made an incredible post about this issue in the State of Play thread.

EDIT: Of course this doesn't excuse any actual abuse or trauma the developers have suffered due to being exposed to this kind of material, but that's a different conversation.

seriously though I had to laugh when I saw that thread pop up. Appealing for empathy in the most self absorbed way humanly possible

I got to this part of the essay before dropping. This is such a spectacularly shit take and a misreading of what was going on in that thread.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think about violence a lot more with VR slowly picking up steam.... and man this video is not helping.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
The big difference is just that. In Doom I'm ripping through one eyed flyind demons. In MK it is extremely over the top (I don't like MK either mind you though).

But in TLOU 2 you're doing this to regular human beings getting by. And you're seeing them struggling on the floor with pain trying to breath after you sticked a knife on their throat. Or you're seeing eyes roll backwards after you put a hammer to someone's head. All of this with what is arguably one of the most realistic graphics in games to date.

Edit: And maybe I'm forgetting how the game was, but I don't remember TLOU 1 showing this much. Apart from zombies exploding of course. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I actually fired up TLOU just yesterday and was like "oh, they did it in the first one already". At least in first hour there was a "give me an info or I'll break your arm" moment.

I dunno. It's a videogame. If you can't handle brutal shit like this, maybe you should not play it.
I love how brutal TLOU2 is. And yeah, I was enjoying putting packets over people's heads in Manhunt and grew up just fine.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
seriously though I had to laugh when I saw that thread pop up. Appealing for empathy in the most self absorbed way humanly possible

I got to this part of the essay before dropping. This is such a spectacularly shit take and a misreading of what was going on in that thread.
But the OP did compare people buying a game and then realizing it's too violent with real abuse victims. That actually did happen. He even doubled down on it when called out.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

It's been a long time since I played the first game, but I'm pretty sure one of the only scenes with extended violence, Ellie with the machete, the camera panned up so you just saw her and the machete coming down again and again. I don't think you ever see the now mutilated corpse. I have no idea why they feel the need to now show this violence.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the OP did compare people buying a game and then realizing it's too violent with real abuse victims. That actually did happen. He even doubled down on it.

And that was dumb. And it was edited when they were called out (as in I went back to re-read the OP in case I misremembered something and found out that "abuse" and "victim" and comparisons to them were removed). Does that discount the point of "hey maybe if someone says they're unable to handle violence we can not harangue them over it?"

I should probably drop this now since I don't want to derail the thread when there's already perfect existing opportunities for a Jimquistion thread to be derailed.

Plum

May 31, 2018
But the OP did compare people buying a game and then realizing it's too violent with real abuse victims. That actually did happen. He even doubled down on it when called out.

I won't shit up this thread with an argument right now but if you want to have a decent chat about this instead of accusing me of stuff then feel free to DM. I'll get back to you later.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I actually fired up TLOU just yesterday and was like "oh, they did it in the first one already". At least in first hour there was a "give me an info or I'll break your arm" moment.

I dunno. It's a videogame. If you can't handle brutal shit like this, maybe you should not play it.
I love how brutal TLOU2 is. And yeah, I was enjoying putting packets over people's heads in Manhunt and grew up just fine.

Sure, they say it, but do you actually see them pinning the arm of someone and doing it? Like we've seen already in TLOU 2 trailers? I legit don't remember a scene that rivals what we've seen of 2.

But yeah I agree with you at the end of the day, it's a videogame. We have the choice to not buy it if we don't like it.
And in no way am I defending that you will become a murderer by playing this. I'm only defending that is fair for people to think TLOU 2 is too much for them.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder here that the biggest issue here isn't how the violence affects the players, it's how it affects the people making the game who have to be exposed to this stuff way more, don't have the choice to just walk away, and aren't given the resources to work through problems they do have. No matter how you feel about the violence in your own experience, the question here is whether it's actually worth the pain and misery being put into making it, not just whether it's ok in its own right

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This is something that videogames will have to deal with going forwards as technology gets better and better.
I already said it in the SoP thread, but I will say it again : It is not about technology. It is not about visual realism, it is mostly about the reaction of the violent action. Most of it there isn't sound in movies and video game. One of the few exception is people burning.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I already said it in the SoP thread, but I will say it again : It is not about technology. It is not about visual realism, it is mostly about the reaction of the violent action. Most of it there isn't sound in movies and video game. One of the few exception is people burning.

Also, TLOU 2 devs have gone out of their way to mention how they're trying to humanize the enemy NPC's so you feel kind of bad for killing them. This can be seen with the "Every NPC is named, and they'll scream in sorrow for their fallen friend." and what have you, it has nothing to do with better graphics, but with the design philosophy of the game.

It's why I can kill hundreds of NPC's in uncharted and don't feel like I'm a psycopath. There they are just that, minions in a shooter game, because without them...what would you even be doing?

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope they would provide proper resources to developers that have to watch that stuff. The violence in the Last of Us 2 doesn't bother me 1 bit so far, but to be fair I haven't played the game yet. Having said that, even though it doesn't bother me, if it means developers don't have to look at actual people dying over and over then I don't care if violence is toned down.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Last of Us is worse than Manhunt in feeling like they were producing a snuff film

and 2 just looks like it's multiplying it.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Another important point Jim is making is that there's nothing wrong with violence in video games, but the fact that studios make developers watch all sorts of weird shit to portray that violence realistically

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
There's a point where asking your employees to watch snuff films or lynchings may be a bit much. Especially if it's causing fucking trauma.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another important point Jim is making is that there's nothing wrong with violence in video games, but the fact that studios make developers watch all sorts of weird shit to portray that violence realistically

Yep. We just see the finished product; imagine how much work, research and effort goes into designing all the gore in games like TLOU and Mortal Kombat.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the video yet but the thing that always come to mind for me when devs mention using references to get realistic gore is... how many people in the audience have any idea what real gore looks like in the first place? Why does shocking violence need to be true to real life when the vast majority of humans have not witnessed such things outside of fiction. If there's any psychological cost to using references for this purpose, it's clearly not worth it.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I remember that people praised the depiction of that woman dying with a hammer to the head. And that they went to the detail of her eyes rolling backwards... I didn't even knew that happens, I imagine what they had to see to get it just right so it looks realistic enough...