• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What other horror IPs are there from big publishers...? Unless it's just funding a new IP.

Dead Space, Eternal Darkness, The Suffering (WB), Fatal Frame, Clock Tower, Siren, Parasite Eve, Haunting Ground, Kuon, Extermination (From Software/Kadokawa), Rule of Rose (Sony), Nanashi no Game (Square Enix).

It could very well be another movie IP.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I actually am really looking forward to them getting a crack at Silent Hill. They have slowly been working towards making better games, and they have mad team silent energy. The Medium was a huge success and a massively important game for this kind of throwback given how successful it was. I would trust them easily to make an actual great Silent Hill game after The Medium for sure. It wouldn't be hard to beat the bar set by previous western devs.

I really don't get this forums fascination with silent hill. Is it because of PT? Was it anything more than a game in R.E's shadow before the Kojima tease of PT?

why can't this just be another horror game that's not silent hill?

Silent Hill was hugely popular and has both a very distinct and well documented Legacy. It was never "in RE's Shadow" unless you are strictly looking at Sales. They are not even particularly similar survival horror games. Silent Hill was beloved by many long before PT even existed, let alone before people figured out it was part of the Silent Hill property.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After playing The Medium, I'd rather a bloober team Silent Hill than no Silent Hill. That said, why are we presuming the horror IP is a game series?

The Medium has precisely ONE jump scare. It doesn't rely on jump scares at all. Plenty of people seem to really like it (while I acknowledge plenty are also cold on it).

which is the jump scare ,
is it the peephole?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
After what I've seen and read on The Medium's story, i'd take another developer for Silent Hill. I can do without their bad writing and really REALLY bad approaches to themes and how they treat subjects around people who suffer from trauma.

It's not just The Medium. They demonstrated this same degree of carelessness in tackling and presenting certain themes with Layers of Fear and Blair Witch too. From a writing perspective I just don't think they're well-equipped, unless they're potentially working with another writer.

Oct 30, 2017
Man, that sucks. Bloober is....okay. They are nowhere near good enough for Silent Hill. I wish them the best, but Blair Witch was straight up bad, and their other games are fine. I haven't seen the polish and vision and writing I want from Silent Hill though.
Their writing is nowhere near good enough for a modern, 2021+ Silent Hill.

I don't understand how someone at Konami would be like, yeah man, those guys.

Oct 27, 2017
So long as it is the second silent hill game that was rumored and multiplatform I'm fine if the rumors of the ps5 game are still separate

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I can't see it being anything with Nintendo (Fatal Frame or an Eternal Darkness revival). Capcom's not out-sourcing Resident Evil these days. Sony downsizing Japan Studio & losing the creator of Silent Hill/Siren means the chance that they're working on a Silent Hill game or Siren game these days is very low. Other than those, I'm hard pressed to think of a major horror game franchise that they could be working on other than a Konami collaboration for Silent Hill. Konami is all about outsourcing IP to studios they think can do something with them.

Of course, it could be a non-game related horror IP. It's also possible that they're working with a major publisher on a new IP (unlikely since they said people would be excited when they found out).

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
"Also they are western"
Dead Space and Alien Isolation were made by western teams and they are really good horror games.

Being based in Japan does not mean you are absolutely going to make a good horror games lmao

It's more a matter of fit. Silent Hill's art direction has deep manga roots, and its style of horror, themes, and game design have a very Eastern feel. Nevermind the series took a turn for the worst when it was taken over by a western studio, so there's all that lingering baggage too.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Yeah if it's Bloober Hill I can safely go on ignoring Silent Hill for the future. Unfortunately every Bloober game has been a massive disappointment for me.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean considering some of the themes Silent Hill can take sometimes and how some people felt about The Medium about similar themes i'm not sure this is a good thing for anyone 🤔

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
It's not just The Medium. They demonstrated this same degree of carelessness in tackling and presenting certain themes with Layers of Fear and Blair Witch too. From a writing perspective I just don't think they're well-equipped, unless they're potentially working with another writer.

Oh absolutely. They've been at it for a while and I'm honestly saddened by how much they get a pass. Their writing is not just offensive, it's a dangerous perpetutation of stereotypes that have plagued people who suffer from mental trauma.

There are two good threads on twitter, one by bobvids and one by an user called Gree who did a thread on the perception of mental health in eastern europe which I think are interesting reads as to why Bloober Team's writing is really not great

Bobvids thread (spoilers obviously)

https://twitter.com/GreeTheWriter/status/1355450339038736386?s=20
Gree thread (CW on trauma, mental illness stuff etc)

td;dr: i just don't think bloober team are equipped to do it,

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, if it's Silent Hill, I say more power to them. The worst that can happen is another mediocre Silent Hill game. It's not like the franchise hasn't already been sullied, and there's a chance a developer with a background in horror games could actually do a decent job with the IP.

Based on the quote though, I don't think it's Silent Hill. He said, "I'm pretty sure when people realize we're working on it, they will be very excited." And if this thread is anything to go by, people are generally not very excited by the notion of Bloober working on Silent Hill.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I mean considering some of the themes Silent Hill can take sometimes and how some people felt about The Medium about similar themes i'm not sure this is a good thing for anyone 🤔

Like I said upthread, it's really not just The Medium. Their depictions of certain trauma and mental health through the like of Layers of Fear and Blair Witch are really bad.

Oh absolutely. They've been at it for a while and I'm honestly saddened by how much they get a pass. Their writing is not just offensive, it's a dangerous perpetutation of stereotypes that have plagued people who suffer from mental trauma.

There are two good threads on twitter, one by bobvids and one by an user called Gree who did a thread on the perception of mental health in eastern europe which I think are interesting reads as to why Bloober Team's writing is really not great

Bobvids thread (spoilers obviously)

https://twitter.com/GreeTheWriter/status/1355450339038736386?s=20
Gree thread (CW on trauma, mental illness stuff etc)

td;dr: i just don't think bloober team are equipped to do it,

Yeah, same. They are irresponsible.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see it being anything with Nintendo (Fatal Frame or an Eternal Darkness revival). Capcom's not out-sourcing Resident Evil these days. Sony downsizing Japan Studio & losing the creator of Silent Hill/Siren means the chance that they're working on a Silent Hill game or Siren game these days is very low. Other than those, I'm hard pressed to think of a major horror game franchise that they could be working on other than a Konami collaboration for Silent Hill. Konami is all about outsourcing IP to studios they think can do something with them.

Of course, it could be a non-game related horror IP. It's also possible that they're working with a major publisher on a new IP (unlikely since they said people would be excited when they found out).

They do say it's a gaming project and gaming publisher.

Also let me dream of a Bloober Team Eternal Darkness. Maybe Nintendo approaching them for that is what prompted them to port basically all of their games to Switch.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, if it's Silent Hill, I say more power to them. The worst that can happen is another mediocre Silent Hill game. It's not like the franchise hasn't already been sullied, and there's a chance a developer with a background in horror games could actually do a decent job with the IP.

Based on the quote though, I don't think it's Silent Hill. He said, "I'm pretty sure when people realize we're working on it, they will be very excited." And if this thread is anything to go by, people are generally not very excited by the notion of Bloober working on Silent Hill.
For me the "we're working on it" sounds like they are on an existing IP.

Maybe... Gabriel Knight for Activision. :o)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

That could just be developer excitement. If I was working on a new Lunar or Chrono Trigger or classic Phantasy Star, I would think that people would be excited when they found out that a new game was coming, but it's also quite possible that some people would be upset that I was working on it and not someone involved in the original team.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I have way more faith in them after finishing the Medium a couple weeks back. I totally understand some people being put off by some of their other games, but I also think people don't understand how the budget on a game determines how much work/polish can be put in. Studios can easily have the talent, but they're just working up to the par allowed by the budget. It's that way in basically every industry for licensed/contract projects.

Considering the quality jump from Blair Witch (from Lionsgate) to the Medium (self-published), I think they have the chops for it. Ironically, I'd be more concerned about Konami's involvement.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
They only know one type of horror: walking sims with jumpscares. Also, they suck at it and are creatively bankrupt. Also, they're western. Also, they have never risen above mediocrity and for the return of a classic franchise, we need a heavy lifters who know what the fuck they're doing.
Ok that's a bit dramatic for a team of developers who are creating games within a niche that they like. I imagine that if they're taking on a project like Silent Hill that they would pivot their style to match the history of that IP. Also, I love Silent Hill, but let's not act like it's an anointed franchise that is in need of "heavy lifters who know what the fuck they're doing". The Medium is heavily flawed but very creative and has an amazing aesthetic. They're not talentless hacks; they make very specific games.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Damn I didnt like medium at all
I hope they go another direction with Silent Hill
If it is that

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
konami barely seems to be a going concern as a game publisher. i'd be surprised if they were willing to finance even a mid-tier game with Medium-level production values

Jan 4, 2018
Last January about The Medium:

"The Silent Hill series, particularly the second game, is our inspiration. Not just for The Medium, but for our company and how we create horror games. With The Medium, we see it as a love letter to the series and to Silent Hill 2," said producer Jacek Zieba.
www.gamespot.com

Xbox Console Exclusive The Medium Is Bloober Team's First Cinematic Horror Game

Bloober Team's next horror game is set across two parallel worlds, and it focuses more on unnerving storytelling than cheap scares.

JesDNC

Feb 16, 2018
why what's wrong with Bloober?

Well, to summarize it, they are incapable of doing any original work without crossing to many times the line between homage and straight up plagiarism.

This video and this thread are perfect examples of this.

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1356311145540431872?s=20

www.youtube.com

Bloober Team Bites - How the ‘Layers of Fear’ Dev Copy/Pasted Their Way to Notoriety

Thanks to:Rachel for being in the video and also helping with the script!Mario (@TomatoGrandpa) for proofreading the script!Sources:#1. https://www.youtube.c...

I don't want Bloober team near any valuable IP.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I'm not sold on it being SH, or even a traditional video game series in general but I'm also of the opinion I would rather a Bloober SH than no SH.

Sayyyyying that though... I was pretty cold on The Medium - like, I don't think it's godawful, but they really need to overhaul their writing team because every one of their recent releases have been really poor on the narrative (and gameplay) front. Not to mention how awfully they handle themes relating to mental illness and trauma. The only thing I can truly say they excel at right now is atmosphere - gameplay, puzzles and writing though all have been nowhere near the level they would have to be at to successfully tackle SH in my opinion.
Also, I can't accurately describe how much The Medium's ending gave me narrative blue balls - it retroactively made me dislike the game significantly more than I had been.

But... I do think they have a tonne of potential and all it would take is one truly great hit that I don't have to add a thousand caveats to when I recommend it, and I really do hope whatever they end up working on next is that breakthrough.

Last edited:

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I really don't get this forums fascination with silent hill. Is it because of PT? Was it anything more than a game in R.E's shadow before the Kojima tease of PT?

why can't this just be another horror game that's not silent hill?

It is one of the most influential horror franchises of all time. Why are you surprised that people who like horror games like Silent Hill?

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i'm sorry SH fans... we should have stopped with Downpour or it should have been Tarsier.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space, Eternal Darkness, The Suffering (WB), Fatal Frame, Clock Tower, Siren, Parasite Eve, Haunting Ground, Kuon, Extermination (From Software/Kadokawa), Rule of Rose (Sony), Nanashi no Game (Square Enix).

It could very well be another movie IP.
Rule of Rose 2 by Bloober, world is crazy enough lol, why not.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
If the Silent Hill reboot is being made by Bloober Team that is the most Monkey Paw situation I can think of

The Medium's plot is genuinely abhorrent

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't actually played any of their games yet, but Bloober Team making a Silent Hill game doesn't sound like a great combo based on what I've heard of games like The Medium

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
The Medium was excellent. If Bloober is making the Silent Hills game, hopefully it is multiplatform/Xbox.