• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and I'm saying people in your position are rare. The new skins aren't that big of a change, so...it's more of a bonus for those who do buy the PvE addition
I mean, that's literally the new identity of the game, it's not a "bonus". Everything will reflect the heroes as they are in OW2.
I don't think people like me are that rare either way, I haven't seen anyone blown away by that stuff, it's more like "Yeah, alright that's neat, but what about the PvP?".

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's literally the new identity of the game, it's not a "bonus". Everything will reflect the heroes as they are in OW2.
I don't think people like me are that rare either way, I haven't seen anyone blown away by that stuff, it's more like "Yeah, alright that's neat, but what about the PvP?".
That's different though. Cosmetics and PvP systems (heroes, maps, balance, etc.) affect and appeal to considerably different audience sizes. The latter affects everyone, but I think the majority of people who have no interest in PvE won't buy OW2, even if they like the skins. It's not like they won't be able to get other skins. As such, new defaults are a bonus, because PvP only players will get all the changes except the new default skins.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
That's different though. Cosmetics and PvP systems (heroes, maps, balance, etc.) affect and appeal to considerably different audience sizes. The latter affects everyone, but I think the majority of people who have no interest in PvE won't buy OW2, even if they like the skins. It's not like they won't be able to get other skins. As such, new defaults are a bonus, because PvP only players will get all the changes except the new default skins.
Yes, I'm not saying people will buy OW2 just for the skins, but paywalling those seems a little odd considering they are the new defaults after all. It's more like a "fuck you, give me money" thing.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm not saying people will buy OW2 just for the skins, but paywalling those seems a little odd considering they are the new defaults after all. It's more like a "fuck you, give me money" thing.
The old default skins will obviously still be in the game. And like I said, PvP only players get every change except these skins. So, someone could've paid $40 USD in 2016, bought zero microtransactions, gotten most of the skins in OW1, and then play OW2 6-7 years later for only that single purchase - and the only thing they'd be missing out on is some skins. That seems both reasonable and an ethical business practice.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
The old default skins will obviously still be in the game. And like I said, PvP only players get every change except these skins. So, someone could've paid $40 USD in 2016, bought zero microtransactions, gotten most of the skins in OW1, and then play OW2 6-7 years later for only that single purchase - and the only thing they'd be missing out on is some skins. That seems both reasonable and an ethical business practice.
We'll agree to disagree, I guess. The default skins should be the bare minimum, considering OW2 PvP is probably going to be f2p to begin with, not just for OW1 players, so the only extra perks you're getting are your old stuff.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We'll agree to disagree, I guess. The default skins should be the bare minimum, considering OW2 PvP is probably going to be f2p to begin with, not just for OW1 players, so the only extra perks you're getting are your old stuff.
I'm not sure I understand? Shouldn't the main gameplay be the bare minimum? You're getting the expanded PvP content as well. The skins seem relatively trivial in comparison.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
These skins are the defaults for Overwatch 2. You should acquire Overwatch 2 to get them.
The PvE missions are paid, not OW2. Those skins aren't exclusive to the PvE so why should you buy an extra mode to unlock the base skins of a game? I mean, it's not like it's a huge deal, but it's pretty hard to defend. I'm not asking to get full access to everything in OW2 because I bought OW1 in 2016, it's literally the base skins of OW2, it shouldn't be paid content.

Jan 10, 2018
Watched the whole presentation again and I'm really looking forward to the skill trees. Great idea for PvE to have unique unlocks that make characters more personalized. I can see myself playing PVE a lot to unlock everything!

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I want to be excited for this but I'm still scratching my head about as much as I was when the game was first announced. PVE is exciting but reading everything else and catching up with the stream stuff (especially the bit about tanks being... MORE mobile?? MORE able to brawl!???) just has me really unsure.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been interested in the world of Overwatch but have no interest in PVP focused games.

I might actually try this if the PVE content is substantial enough.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The PvE missions are paid, not OW2. Those skins aren't exclusive to the PvE so why should you buy an extra mode to unlock the base skins of a game? I mean, it's not like it's a huge deal, but it's pretty hard to defend. I'm not asking to get full access to everything in OW2 because I bought OW1 in 2016, it's literally the base skins of OW2, it shouldn't be paid content.
The line is fairly arbitrary because they promised that there wouldn't be any paid content at all with OW1, so why draw the line at PvE content? Why not just have the entire thing as a free update?

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It seems harder to argue some new skins are owed to the OW1 players than it is to defend them not being given tbh. Any other multiplayer game sequel would be a completely separate app that leaves the previous game and player base in the dust unless they purchase the new game, and all previous skins wouldn't carry over. Being able to access all the new PVP content besides skins free of charge, with all your past cosmetics being brought forward into the updated game, seems like a pretty good deal.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
The line is fairly arbitrary because they promised that there wouldn't be any paid content at all with OW1, so why draw the line at PvE content? Why not just have the entire thing as a free update?
Because they need to make money and making the PvP game paid would be suicide. This is a good way to reboot it and remonetize the whole thing without upsetting too much the playerbase they've been neglecting for years while also appeasing Acti-Blizz which wanted a new game. It's a compromise.

It seems harder to argue some new skins are owed to the OW1 players than it is to defend them not being given tbh. Any other multiplayer game sequel would be a completely separate app that leaves the previous game and player base in the dust unless they purchase the new game, and all previous skins wouldn't carry over. Being able to access all the new PVP content besides skins free of charge, with all your past cosmetics being brought forward into the updated game, seems like a pretty good deal.
I mean, yes, the industry is trash, but that doesn't make it a good deal considering the PvP is 90% the same thing on a new engine. A lot of meaningful gameplay changes that will be introduced in OW2 could have been done years ago and made OW1 less of a hellhole.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I did not expect to see "OW2 McCree looks like a racist" takes on my twitter timeline

Not entirely sure why this look is supposed to be synonymous with racists

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Because they need to make money and making the PvP game paid would be suicide. This is a good way to reboot it and remonetize the whole thing without upsetting too much the playerbase they've been neglecting for years while also appeasing Acti-Blizz which wanted a new game. It's a compromise.
They could've made money just by having the entire thing as a standalone app you had to pay for (don't put me in charge; people not wanting up upgrade would've gotten less). Boycotts don't work in gaming and the majority of the Overwatch community would've bought this Day 1 regardless. If all the holdouts care for is the PvP, then they're not being neglected by not being given OW2 skins, no more then I was by not buying the Legendary edition of OW1. Again, this just seems like a very arbitrary line to draw.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
They could've made money just by having the entire thing as a standalone app you had to pay for (don't put me in charge; people not wanting up upgrade would've gotten less). Boycotts don't work in gaming and the majority of the Overwatch community would've bought this Day 1 regardless. If all the holdouts care for is the PvP, then they're not being neglected by not being given OW2 skins, no more then I was by not buying the Legendary edition of OW1. Again, this just seems like a very arbitrary line to draw.
Boycotts? OW has a fraction of the playerbase it used to have, it's up to Blizzard to find a way to pull them back in with OW2, it's not about the current base. Making it paid would have meant a lot less people checking it out when it launches, because they'd have to pay again for a game they already abandoned.

But you're kinda making this thing bigger than it is, as I've said, it's not a big deal. All I'm saying is that it's just odd that they're paywalling behind the PvE the default skins when OW2 is 100% gonna have some battlepass-ish system for the rest of the skins.

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I mean, yes, the industry is trash, but that doesn't make it a good deal considering the PvP is 90% the same thing on a new engine. A lot of meaningful gameplay changes that will be introduced in OW2 could have been done years ago and made OW1 less of a hellhole.
A new engine already means it's not even close to 90% the same thing, not to mention the new game mode(s) and all the new maps and characters that will be launched at once when it drops. It's not just gonna be simple balance tweaks that could have been implemented at any time, they're basically fully rethinking how the game works from the ground up. It's work deserving of the price of entry for a full new game but there won't be one, so yeah it still seems like a pretty good deal.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Boycotts? OW has a fraction of the playerbase it used to have, it's up to Blizzard to find a way to pull them back in with OW2, it's not about the current base. Making it paid would have meant a lot less people checking it out when it launches, because they'd have to pay again for a game they already abandoned.
I don't know the extent to which the OW base has shrunk, but I don't believe those who say it's dead. Even if I'm wrong in that assumption, if all of the content we've been privy to up to this point isn't enough to make a person want to purchase it, then they just don't want to buy it right now. That would remain true regardless of how the content was divvied up between those who upgraded and those who didn't. Like, either buy it or don't lol.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

But you're kinda making this thing bigger than it is, as I've said, it's not a big deal. All I'm saying is that it's just odd that they're paywalling behind the PvE the default skins when OW2 is 100% gonna have some battlepass-ish system for the rest of the skins.
Well...there you go. It's not a big deal. Why did you care enough to get into such a spirited debate?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Watching this video made me reinstall the game.

Im not sure it looks that different from the first game but it reminded me that I loved to play it.

hopefully there's controller support for, at least, PVE stuff but full input based crossplay would be awesome.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Is there a source on the OW2 defaults being paid?
www.playstationlifestyle.net

Overwatch 1 Players Will See Upgraded Overwatch 2 Character Looks But Can't Select Them - PlayStation LifeStyle

Overwatch 2 is giving quite a makeover to the franchise's existing characters, but those Overwatch 2 characters new looks will not be selectable by players in Overwatch 1, even though they'll be able to see them.

Some good info from Alphacast podcast with Renaud Galland, Lead character artist on Overwatch 2, summary from reddit user

Finally have confirmation on this

Heroes being made right now are using OW2's engine and tools, and cannot be released in the current game (when asked if Sojourn shouldn't be released now, since she's finished)

Talent trees and customization
  • Still iterating, none of the characters and builds are set in stone yet. It's the main development focus right now.
  • The team is going crazy creating insane talents and testing them
  • When asked if there'll be loot or stuff, "can't talk about it, we got ideas, it's very early"
  • The menu is Winston's office and computer.
PVE, hero missions, etc
  • Right one the "no duplicate hero" rule is in place in PvE
  • The goal is for you to see a mission's description and gameplay, and tweak your team and build accordingly with your buddies. Right now the devs can end up talking for 10 minutes before starting a mission.
  • Story and hero missions are completely separate Each mission has an intro and outro cinematic
  • Story missions are a fully fledged story campaign
  • There will be story missions from the bad guys' point of view.
  • Story missions can be played with multiple characters, but story constraints are applied. Dialogue changes depending on your team.
  • Elite enemies are a big focus
  • Enemies have a random chance when they die to press the trigger and maybe hit their buddies. Works on elite and bosses as well.
  • Enemy spawning is random in hero missions, story is more scripted
  • Hero missions maps have a random elements, new parts of the map may open or be closed with every run
Development
  • Team has grown a lot, while remaining human sized
  • Impressed with the talents who joined the team
  • Lots of new tools that streamlined the development process
  • The new engine allows them to work with basically double the amounts of polygons
  • Pharah allowed them to rework their glass shaders, and stuff like reflexions and refraction.
  • The changes are much more striking when looking at them in the scope of the new game and all its changes, just looking at the models doesn't do justice to all the improvements.
  • Everything shown in the panel was in engine (including that one shot of the pool in the Indian shrine that everyone though was a cinematic)
  • They worked a lot on cinematics and bringing the tools up to date to support them
  • There is a real graphical overhaul, the game looks MUCH better.
  • Optimization is still a focus and the game is made to run on a lot of hardware just like the first one. Renaud plays the current build on a GTX 1080 and it runs great.
  • The sound designers are huge sound nerds and love bits of tech like Atmos and stuff like that. The new sound tech and space awareness is compared to what Sony did with Demon's Souls on PS5, they're really pushing boundaries here.
  • The bit with the sound designers shooting and recording guns is part of a 10 minutes video journal from the sound team, the sound director loves that kind of demo
  • Renaud cannot comment on the question of did Blizzard buy a rocket launcher or a minigun to record Pharah or Bastion sounds
  • They do have a .50 cal sniper and an M60, "little toys". Sound designers love their job.
  • They may have thrown hand grenades for Junkrat.
PvP
  • 2CP being removed/reworked is being worked on, but not set in stone atm
  • Don't think of it as reworking the existing maps, but more like using the assets and go from there, "there could be an Anubis map in a new gamemode, set on the other side of the pyramid"
  • Renaud loves the new maps, says there are a lot of them
  • Lots of discussion about new modes and constant iteration
  • The new class passives are something they're playtesting right now, not a definite change
  • They tried weather effects in PvP, went "well I can't see shit", I decided to keep it in PvE
Heroes
  • Sombra's reskin is "incredible"
  • Renaud did the Widowmaker redesign, alongside Arnold Tsang who works on all concept art
  • Many of the redesigns are done by new modelers or artists on the team that didn't get an opportunity to work on the look of their favorite characters for the first game.
  • Renaud kept Tracer, Mercy and Widow for himself
  • Mercy has a reflective pattern on the fabric of her new suit that is modeled after the molecular structure of shark scales, because they are known to have antibacterial properties. No sharks were harmed in the making of the game.
  • All the characters are a few years older
  • The goal with redesigns was retaining the hero's identity, its very different from creating a random skin for an event.
  • Also Alphacast casually spotting the Junkerqueen T-posing in a corner, as already reported.
  • Heroes being made right now are using OW2's engine and tools, and cannot be released in the current game (when asked if Sojourn shouldn't be released now, since she's finished)
In conclusion
The team is working very hard, keeping the community and the finish line in mind. It's not PR talk, all they look a lot at player feedback and all they can do is work harder.

Also some thoughs about how much Blizzard has stepped down from the EU zone. Renaud is now Alphacast's sole contact at Blizzard, and they are both really happy to keep that link alive.

Last edited:

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the extent to which the OW base has shrunk, but I don't believe those who say it's dead. Even if I'm wrong in that assumption, if all of the content we've been privy to up to this point isn't enough to make a person want to purchase it, then they just don't want to buy it right now. That would remain true regardless of how the content was divvied up between those who upgraded and those who didn't. Like, either buy it or don't lol.
It's not dead, no, but it used to be THE game, and right now it's not making nearly as much as their execs think it should compared to all the other big names. If you've followed Blizzard for the last few years you should know that OW isn't too big to get axed.

Well...there you go. It's not a big deal. Why did you care enough to get into such a spirited debate?
Because I'm not the one that made it a debate, I simply said that it's odd that default skins aren't actually "default", and you're here trying to convince me we should be grateful and they're just a little bonus. Like, no, I'm not gonna give you that. It's just a statement, there's no "argument" to win here.

A new engine already means it's not even close to 90% the same thing, not to mention the new game mode(s) and all the new maps and characters that will be launched at once when it drops. It's not just gonna be simple balance tweaks that could have been implemented at any time, they're basically fully rethinking how the game works from the ground up. It's work deserving of the price of entry for a full new game but there won't be one, so yeah it still seems like a pretty good deal.
They're the ones that decided to spend their budget into making the guns have 15 ambient sounds, not me. People have issues with the game that have nothing to do with most of what they've shown of OW2, it's not about their work deserving full price or not, but if someone has a miserable time every time they play the game, they're not gonna pay again if all they've changed is the engine the game is running on. That's a completely different topic.

And btw, every other game of this kind, including Activision games, are already f2p with paid SP ( if they have it) so the PvP being free is not a gift from god, it's just the current business model of these games, it'll be monetized in a different way from OW1, that's all.

Last edited:

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Because I'm not the one that made it a debate, I simply said that it's odd that default skins aren't actually "default", and you're here trying to convince me we should be grateful and they're just a little bonus. Like, no, I'm not gonna give you that. It's just a statement, there's no "argument" to win here.
You made a contentious statement and then continued to double down on it, despite claiming that you didn't care that much. Quite frankly, it's more "odd" that Blizzard isn't splitting the PvP playerbase and erasing our cosmetic inventories in a sequel than it is odd that they're not giving away a whole slew of skins for free. And yeah, we aren't owed literally free carryover of cosmetics and overhauls of the PvP system, so if the opposite of gratefulness is entitlement, then gratefulness seems like an appropriate response. Really, your use of quotations around "default" here strikes me as a semantic discomfort. Perhaps it'd be easier to think of them as OW2 premium founder's edition skins, or something.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope Total Mayhem makes it into OW2. I haven't finished the video yet and I'm pretty sure I've read Jeff doesn't like the mode (or is critical of it), but it's my all time favorite mode and I really only play that or Mystery Heroes. I haven't touched Quick Play in months and was never a competitive gamer.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
skin thing is weird. i suppose it points to skins no longer being tied to the loot box / credit system. wonder what they'll do in terms of unlocking legacy skins.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
You made a contentious statement and then continued to double down on it, despite claiming that you didn't care that much. Quite frankly, it's more "odd" that Blizzard isn't splitting the PvP playerbase and erasing our cosmetic inventories in a sequel than it is odd that they're not giving away a whole slew of skins for free. And yeah, we aren't owed literally free carryover of cosmetics and overhauls of the PvP system, so if the opposite of gratefulness is entitlement, then gratefulness seems like an appropriate response. Really, your use of quotations around "default" here strikes me as a semantic discomfort. Perhaps it'd be easier to think of them as OW2 premium founder's edition skins, or something.
They're supposed to be default, they're gonna get used in promo material, cinematics, illustrations, everywhere, but they're not actually defaults since they don't come by default, hence the quotations. Not considering their current look in the current time frame their default look seems like mental gymnastics to me.
And I don't think it's contentious, anyone would assume they're included in the free PvP mode and not paywalled by the PvE. I tried asking a few friends that play OW and they were surprised as well when they found out. You're most likely gonna have to pay actual money this time for all of the other skins, you'd never think even the base skins are paywalled.
Btw, we're still talking about the PvP as a free upgrade for OW1 owners but it's pretty much guaranteed it's gonna be free for everyone anyway.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Maybe I'm a niche market but I really hope they keep Quick Play Classic (the mode with no role queing) as an option in OW2. Have been getting tired of waiting 5-10 minutes for matches now, but when I do regular quick play I don't enjoy the restrictions.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
They're supposed to be default, they're gonna get used in promo material, cinematics, illustrations, everywhere, but they're not actually defaults since they don't come by default, hence the quotations. Not considering their current look in the current time frame their default look seems like mental gymnastics to me.
And I don't think it's contentious, anyone would assume they're included in the free PvP mode and not paywalled by the PvE. I tried asking a few friends that play OW and they were surprised as well when they found out. You're most likely gonna have to pay actual money this time for all of the other skins, you'd never think even the base skins are paywalled.
Btw, we're still talking about the PvP as a free upgrade for OW1 owners but it's pretty much guaranteed it's gonna be free for everyone anyway.
Yeah, but if we're thinking about this from the perspective of people getting into Overwatch for the first time with OW2, they're either going to buy the full game based on the marketing, or they'll get the PvP for free and find that the (let's be real) mildly-moderately altered OW2 default skins are locked behind a purchase. Is that really a deal-breaker? There's so many new things coming for free that I cannot help but think these future F2P Overwatch newbies aren't going to think much about getting a different set of default skins. To reiterate my previous points, new defaults locked behind a purchase of the full game does not seem like taking away something from F2P players, it feels like a premium incentive to try the single player - i.e, a bonus.

And yes, I agree that OW PvP will shift to F2P. But given that current OW players are expecting to receive new heroes, new maps, new UI, new systemic changes, and so on, as well as getting to keep their old skins, I find it hard to think about many players being like "what the fuck do you mean we don't also get the new skins??!" OW2 serves as a jumping on point for both old players and newcomers, so it makes sense that they get access to the same content as each other, but it makes less sense for them to get premium cosmetics as well. After all, they're paying the exact same price of nothing to play PvP.

The base skins are not paywalled, but it seems like your sticking issue is that the base skins are what currently exists in OW right now. Additionally, I disagree with the idea that all future skins will be paid. I think even a battlepass system will have a free track and will likely include some free skins, even though they might be only rare/epic tier.

Oct 8, 2019
Maybe I'm a niche market but I really hope they keep Quick Play Classic (the mode with no role queing) as an option in OW2. Have been getting tired of waiting 5-10 minutes for matches now, but when I do regular quick play I don't enjoy the restrictions.

Overwatch is completely unfun when I am playing a tank and some jackass puts "I need a healer" because the other 5 players decided we needed 5 DPS.

You understand that the team needs a healer but you cant be bothered to be the healer? I frequently play healer, and even mercy's fun as long as you have decent players as teammates.

Its times like this that makes me understand that the goal of these people are not to actually win the game but just get the most kills than get pissed off when we eventually lose because the DPS goes down in seconds.

After the first year of playing I basically stopped playing DPS entirely (outside of Bastion) because the team either needed healers or tanks. I am perfectly fine with playing a tank because most of them are pretty fun.

Hell today I played a game where my team was losing because it didnt have a tank so I popped in DVA, and started to help push the payload forward got the payload to the last checkpoint, and then was running out of time with no one on the payload so I popped my Ultimate to distract the team, ran forward on foot to make it on time, got back in the mech, and by that time my teammates had all gotten back so we were able to get a team kill to win the game.

Its that kind of dynamic storytelling that keeps me playing.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
100% agree with you. Crossplay NEEDS to be a thing in non-competitive modes. I understand that PC has an edge on console, but I still think it's okay in QP.

I have a PC but would much prefer to play on my XSX, but all of my friends have PC's.
Hm, hadn't thought about that distinction. Does Apex allow crossplay in its ranked mode? Trying to think of other crossplay games with ranked modes too.

They could also do PvP cross-play for PlayStation & PC if they allow for gyro aiming.
And Switch! The hypothetical "Pro" should be out by the time OW2 launches and if it can offer 1080p/60fps I'll probably make that my main platform (fingers crossed for cross progression/account transfer).

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020
Because I'm not the one that made it a debate, I simply said that it's odd that default skins aren't actually "default", and you're here trying to convince me we should be grateful and they're just a little bonus. Like, no, I'm not gonna give you that.
If you don't buy Overwatch 2, then they are literally the default skins of a game you're not playing. So nope, you're just wrong.

Mar 19, 2020
I loved Overwatch 1 but fell off it after 2 years. This looks like everything I'd want in a sequel. I've always felt the world and characters needed something more so the pve is really exciting.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
So has there been any word about cross progression/cross play for the sequel? Judging by this getting added to Diablo 2, it seems likely, but I haven't heard anything.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
So has there been any word about cross progression/cross play for the sequel? Judging by this getting added to Diablo 2, it seems likely, but I haven't heard anything.

Basically the same answer they've been giving for the past 2-3 years now

IGN: But will those still be within single console families, or is there any plan for cross-platform play? Could an Overwatch 2 PvP player on PS5 play with an Xbox One Overwatch 1 PvP player? Is there any movement on that?

Jeff Kaplan: We are extremely supportive and excited about the concept of cross play. We love it in other games. In general, our thought is any system the game can adequately run on, and any way that people can play with their friends – even just for reasons of improving the matchmaking experience – we're very excited about those ideas. We don't have anything officially to announce or talk in detail about today, but in general the team stance is that cross play is exciting. We are interested in exploring it and if we can overcome the hurdles, we would love to bring a feature like that to our players someday.

www.ign.com

Overwatch 2 at Blizzcon 2021: The Big Jeff Kaplan Interview - IGN

Despite today's Overwatch 2 Behind-the-Scenes panel revealing a glut of new details about the game, there's still a lot to discuss about Blizzard's shooter sequel. Thankfully, we managed to speak to exactly the right person about that – game director Jeff Kaplan.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Basically the same answer they've been giving for the past 2-3 years now

IGN: But will those still be within single console families, or is there any plan for cross-platform play? Could an Overwatch 2 PvP player on PS5 play with an Xbox One Overwatch 1 PvP player? Is there any movement on that?

Jeff Kaplan: We are extremely supportive and excited about the concept of cross play. We love it in other games. In general, our thought is any system the game can adequately run on, and any way that people can play with their friends – even just for reasons of improving the matchmaking experience – we're very excited about those ideas. We don't have anything officially to announce or talk in detail about today, but in general the team stance is that cross play is exciting. We are interested in exploring it and if we can overcome the hurdles, we would love to bring a feature like that to our players someday.

www.ign.com

Overwatch 2 at Blizzcon 2021: The Big Jeff Kaplan Interview - IGN

Despite today's Overwatch 2 Behind-the-Scenes panel revealing a glut of new details about the game, there's still a lot to discuss about Blizzard's shooter sequel. Thankfully, we managed to speak to exactly the right person about that – game director Jeff Kaplan.
So it sounds like they've wanted to do it, but they've been waiting for the sequel for the go ahead.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Dont care at all about PvE. It has always been really grindy and boring and mindless. Just not into those modes

The MP weirdly reminds me of halo. These changes to roles is interesting, but I wonder how the tank/dps balance will play out if tanks are supposed to be combat heavy roles now.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I was so hyped from that Diablo 2 Resurrected cross-progression announcement because of what I assumed it meant for the imminent Overwatch 2 segment - but it seems the OW team is far out from discussing that still.