• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This all looks awesome but I'm worried about performance after the upgrade, my old pc already struggled with OW1.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Really liked what I saw in that video, but this game ain't coming out until 2022 at least even if they didn't mention anything about a release date. :(
Which mean OW1 will probably continue to be the same as it has been since Echo released for another year at least. Balance updates and new loot for events, but that's basically it.

Jan 10, 2018
I had no idea people hated 2CP so much. I'm really out of touch with the community.

Don't think I will miss it much though because everything else sounds awesome!

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
It's looking good.

I'm willing to bet they are going to switch up on migrating OW1 and let this be a true standalone sequel

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea people hated 2CP so much. I'm really out of touch with the community.

You never ask why everyone and their mother fucking HATE lunar colony and while maps like it were taken out of the competitive map queue? (lunar colony in particular, mind you I like a lot of 2CP maps).

It's looking good.

I'm willing to bet they are going to switch up on migrating OW1 and let this be a true standalone sequel
They said yesterday they are carrying on with their plans to migrate the OW1 client to the OW2 client and keep the PVP community together. It's frankly the best possible approach for a sequel to a game like OW.

Last edited:

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
My friends and I may be more scattered across platforms than we were with OW1 so I hope they decide to implement crossplay. Would be one of the last big multi games without it if not I think.

Last edited:

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
My friends and I may be more scattered across platforms then we were with OW1 so I hope they decide to implement crossplay. Would be one of the last big multi games without it if not I think.
100% agree with you. Crossplay NEEDS to be a thing in non-competitive modes. I understand that PC has an edge on console, but I still think it's okay in QP.

I have a PC but would much prefer to play on my XSX, but all of my friends have PC's.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
100% agree with you. Crossplay NEEDS to be a thing in non-competitive modes. I understand that PC has an edge on console, but I still think it's okay in QP.

I have a PC but would much prefer to play on my XSX, but all of my friends have PC's.
Crossplay for consoles in PvP is cool, but crossplay between PC and consoles needs to be PvE only

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I don't like them much either, despite not playing competitive. The early chokepoint on each of these maps is just not fun to deal with as the Attack team, especially if the Defense team knows how to keep you there for a long time.

If they get rid of 2CP in OW2, I won't miss them, but that's a lot of maps that will go away though. Thankfully, they seem to be making a lot of new maps to compensate.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

They could also do PvP cross-play for PlayStation & PC if they allow for gyro aiming.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
I'm interested in the single player content. Hope it's a decent 10 plus hour campaign and repayable with different heros. I stopped playing the first because the matchmaking on PS4 like a year after release was some of the worst I'd seen. Half the time it would put you in a game where people had left and your team was getting stomped. People would just cycle in and out. I don't blame them either, who wants to play 2 minutes or less of a map 4 v 6 already getting stomped. I have no patience for that type of stuff, so I quit. Might jump back in for OW2 though when console population might be big again so matchmaking is better.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aye forget lady dimitrescu I'm back on the Widowmaker train.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta admit I wasn't really looking forward to OW2 PVE but this makes it look great, especially with those cinematics. Can understand why it was delayed as it's looking a lot bigger than I was originally expecting.

The passive healing that supports get sounds great for me as an Ana player. No more having to use my grenade to heal myself.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
All of the PVP content is coming to ow1 free. I'd imagine 2cp is going away for everyone.

Also the changes to Reinhardt are coming to ow1, he was one example of them fixing a bunch of characters and as a Rein main I can tell you those changes are fundamental and necessary. They aren't small.

All you are paying for is the story and PVE content. If you don't like that content....don't pay and keep playing on ow1 multi. You still benefit.

That post honestly isn't even worth addressing.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the OW2 looks of the characters are going to be locked to OW2, but a player on OW1 would still be able to see, say, McCree's new look if that player had bought OW2 correct?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I assume the OW2 looks of the characters are going to be locked to OW2, but a player on OW1 would still be able to see, say, McCree's new look if that player had bought OW2 correct?
They are essentially skins so yeah "Overwatch 1" players will see them they will be upgraded to OV2 multiplayer. Essentially what you are paying for in OV2 is the PVE everything else they want the player base to carry over. The newer skins in general do look better than the original ones since they have had time to really nail the art style.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure we're getting the updated looks as well as new skins. Doesn'tt make much sense to gate the looks of the characters when the client is being updated to the new engine anyway. That and PvP players imo will be the most likely to purchase new skins/loot boxes.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

Yea, I'd assume they are just skins in the game. I still expect it to be PvP to be 1 thing and not OW1 player loading up OW1 and playing with OW2 players.

Pretty sure we're getting the updated looks as well as new skins. Doesn'tt make much sense to gate the looks of the characters when the client is being updated to the new engine anyway. That and PvP players imo will be the most likely to purchase new skins/loot boxes.

They already said that the new looks are exclusive to OW2 purchasers.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the single player is amazing. I actually really love the world and characters of OW but I'm not a competitive shooter player really. I will play the hell out of a single player shooter though.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the designs but the execution is better if you look at the older ones in game you can tell which skins are more recent.
Oh definitely! The modeling has improved immensely. Even in the Rio cutscenes and gameplay we got a few years ago, I could tell then and there the facial rigs and stuff had been updated. Technologically, it's very impressive for what is essentially an add-on.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I feel sad that Brigitte is the only one that didn't get a visual change. Could use some colors like Pharah, pretty please?

I know it makes sense lore wise but...her old colors are so boring now when compared to others.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I feel sad that Brigitte is the only one that didn't get a visual change. Could use some colors like Pharah, pretty please?

I know it makes sense lore wise but...her old colors are so boring now when compared to others.

I don't think Blizzard has announced that some characters aren't getting a redesign. I think it's more likely that they haven't set it up yet for her.

Also I can't say I am a big fan of some of the redesigns, this tweet sums it up rather well.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

She will be updated before the game releases. They haven't shown off half the rosters new looks yet.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

For the characters they didn't show off new looks for specifically, they're keeping them in their OW1 looks. You could see this in older screens. In the same screenshots, Lucio and Tracer would have their new looks but McCree would not. I'm assuming everyone's gonna get a makeover, but they're staggering the reveals.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Blizzard has announced that some characters aren't getting a redesign. I think it's more likely that they haven't set it up yet for her.

Also I can't say I am a big fan of some of the redesigns, this tweet sums it up rather well.

She will be updated before the game releases. They haven't shown off half the rosters new looks yet.
For the characters they didn't show off new looks for specifically, they're keeping them in their OW1 looks. You could see this in older screens. In the same screenshots, Lucio and Tracer would have their new looks but McCree would not. I'm assuming everyone's gonna get a makeover, but they're staggering the reveals.

I just assumed they didn't update her design because she looked the same in the CG movie they did last year.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in the single player content. Hope it's a decent 10 plus hour campaign and repayable with different heros. I stopped playing the first because the matchmaking on PS4 like a year after release was some of the worst I'd seen. Half the time it would put you in a game where people had left and your team was getting stomped. People would just cycle in and out. I don't blame them either, who wants to play 2 minutes or less of a map 4 v 6 already getting stomped. I have no patience for that type of stuff, so I quit. Might jump back in for OW2 though when console population might be big again so matchmaking is better.
I think the meat and bones of PvE replayability will be hero missions, not the campaign. They even say as such in the documentary

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
OW1 won't be a thing anymore, you'll just get OW2 for free without the PvE and the old costumes will be just a skin. I don't think they're gonna paywall the newer looks.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017

Should've added a full beard to him like with Mcree and 76

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
OW1 won't be a thing anymore, you'll just get OW2 for free without the PvE and the old costumes will be just a skin. I don't think they're gonna paywall the newer looks.
I am almost certain that they've been confirmed to be paywalled

Question is if the new designs will be classified as a skin in the hero gallery

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But 2CP is my favorite...
tenor.gif

I have no shame in admitting that I do like playing Hanamura and Anubis.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I guess? But like, you keep all your OW1 skins. I think the potential audience of those who want the new default skins but aren't really interested in PvE is really, really low.
Isn't that pretty much every active OW player? If PvE was a deal breaker you definitely wouldn't be playing OW.
Personally I'm not really interested in PvE, it looks better but still pretty boring so I have to see more, I might get it down the line if it's cheap, but I'd like to use some of those new skins.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that pretty much every active OW player? If PvE was a deal breaker you definitely wouldn't be playing OW.
Personally I'm not really interested in PvE, it looks better but still pretty boring so I have to see more, I might get it down the line if it's cheap, but I'd like to use some of those new skins.
Yeah, and I'm saying people in your position are rare. The new skins aren't that big of a change, so...it's more of a bonus for those who do buy the PvE addition