• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
"Sounds good to me"?!??!?

Oh man that presenter is not only going to lose his job, but Blizzard will probably send him on a plane to China to answer for his crimes.
Taliesin (the lesser half of Taliesin and Evitel) is a WoW adjacent YouTuber. An "Influencer", if you will. He's not an employee.

Also:

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good on the guy and the kid both. Shame there wasn't a bigger crowd reaction.

Mind you, that's understandable. I mean Blizzard only licked authoritarian jackboot and have since tried to pretend they're still cool. It's not like they did something truly heinous, like announce another mobile game.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for your opinion! Now I would like to say a few things. First, I think it's awesome to fight for your rights and things which are important to you. But if you do it, than be always respectful to others. Because I highly believe that if you are not respectful to others, than you will also not earn respect. And when no one respects you, than no one will listen to what you say.

There are other ways to fight for your rights and being respectful at the same time. The first guy in the video showed exactly how that works, he got interviewed, than he says "Free Hong Kong" which was absolutely fine because he got interviewed. He didn't screamed disrespectful during someone others interview or something like that. This is how you protest the right way, and then and only then when you do it with respect, than others will listen to you.

But this is of course my own opinion. Be respectful and you will be heard!
It's like we're back to pre-civil rights movement America. I know your campaigning for basic human rights but gosh darn it you don't have to be so rude about it. 😂

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Blizzard have royally fucked this up. And while my previous position is "why don't we criticise others for this stuff" I've changed to just "others will fall, just a matter of when". In the travel industry there has been a minor compared to this issue of airlines or travel companies having to change their websites to say "Hong Kong, China" or "Taipei, Taiwan, China" on their listing or even include them in the same country like say, New York and Washington would go under "USA". Companies will have it forced on them and it's up to us as consumers to fight back.

I do think that political protest as an official sporting event can be tricky though. Like if a player wants to kneel at the anthem I say good on him. But what if a player (or gamer in this case) wanted to voice support for... the "pray the gay away" camps? Should they be able to support them on the stream/event/ interview? Your argument could be no- it could harm teenagers/children but ultimately you would be making a political decision to shut down discourse.

I feel like they either need to leave it open but talk to streamers/ players behind the scene to keep them aware of what is expected (like say the NBA actively support more programs for minorities in the USA, they also don't have people kneeling as the players probably feel supported by the league)

who would feel supported by blizzard at this point?

The only other option is to shut any discourse down at all. I don't love this but I do see a point. It's not fair to make every company or every even a football to play out a seperate issue. We have to be careful to not just conflate Chinese people (who still may support the bans) and Chinese government policy. Just because we don't like the government or blizzards decision doesn't mean it's not a bit racist to just say "well deal, don't sell your product in China then!"
Hate speech isn't the same as free speech though, with your example of "pray the gay away" support. You should be allowed to make that distinction as a company or regulation, as many countries do which take the level of harm into consideration.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
This is some basic ass concern trolling. You don't actually care about this kid's childhood. He will be fine after coming back home from the event. These kids are living in tumultuous times. The most well known climate activist right now is a 16 year old child, Greta Thunberg. The issues are getting so bad and adults are not doing enough so that kids are hearing about it and are willing to step up. This shouldn't be a time where you criticise their political power.
Greta Thunberg herself did actually said that she got her childhood ruined, and thats likely because shes got so scared by people telling her about the climate change. So it can be debated how thes issues affect kids. But this is a huge topic however, and as always, how things affect people will variate from person to person.

Megasus

Oct 28, 2017
EGiZov3UEAArFA0

They must defend their dignity and pride after all.
I know this tweet has been circling through the webs for a while now. Unfortunately, the translation is a bit inaccurate. This one is better:
Sure, the message is mostly the same.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
People saying he shouldn't protest because he's a child are being pretty disrespectful towards Blizzard, and not following their stated "every voice matters" policy.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
In my opinion this absolutely disrespectful to scream during an interview. Doesn't matter what he says, it's just inappropriate.
Are you for real?
I love how oldies go like "Oh well children can't possibly have opinions on their own and it must be the PARENTS AND LIBERAL MEDIA! that put them up to this!"
Or just go like you "How rude!"
Things they are a-changing.

Oct 26, 2017
People saying he shouldn't protest because he's a child are being pretty disrespectful towards Blizzard, and not following their stated "every voice matters" policy.
lol
Apparently this is the same kid who baited the NBA cameras and then pulled out a free Hong Kong shirt for everyone to see. I love it.
Beautiful
I like how last year when blizzard got called out for their shitty mobile game in a Q&A, everyone applauded and fell over eachother to praise the guy for doing it. This year, something way more serious gets called out and the majority reaction seems to be "uhh dude thats so cringey and disrespectful"
It is sad but in no way surprising

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Imo there is no inappropriate place / time for supporting free speech.

Anyway tbh I expected way more of these things but I guess most of the gamer crowds are easily swayed by the empty statements and the admittedly pretty trailers huh.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mind you, that's understandable. I mean Blizzard only licked authoritarian jackboot and have since tried to pretend they're still cool. It's not like they did something truly heinous, like announce another mobile game.
This is such a sad reality that we live in.....

I'm glad that the guy and the kid did this. Much respect for them. its also astounding in a room full of adults looking brain dead 2 people showed more compassion than all of them combined.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The only notable protests, campaigns or just general prolonged opposition I've seen come out of gaming communities are ones to do with perceived anti-consumer practices, or in support of harassment and threats towards women and those who oppose alt-right ideas such as misogyny and racism.

So thanks to the people at Blizzcon who are pushing to add this to the list.
No thanks to the people who got more outraged by a mobile game. Which is not surprising but still sad and bizarre.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This kid's fantastic. That fake-ass "sound's great!" irks me so bad.

thank you, OP, for all these threads.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If you're a Blizzard fan but aren't a stooge for China, are you still disrespected by this?

Unless you think that all Blizzard fans are stooges for China by default.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
J. Allen Brack´s Blizard logo on his collar had the pride colors which is good of course. His "apology", on the other hand, is worse than nothing. How did the Chinese, Russian and so on broadcasts treat the logo if such existed?

Some info on the man: https://wow.gamepedia.com/J._Allen_Brack
He joined in 2005, (exclusively) produced WoW since Burning Crusade and become CEO in 2018. Who knows who is to blame but one of my fingers is circeling around him.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Thanks for your opinion! Now I would like to say a few things. First, I think it's awesome to fight for your rights and things which are important to you. But if you do it, than be always respectful to others. Because I highly believe that if you are not respectful to others, than you will also not earn respect. And when no one respects you, than no one will listen to what you say.

There are other ways to fight for your rights and being respectful at the same time. The first guy in the video showed exactly how that works, he got interviewed, than he says "Free Hong Kong" which was absolutely fine because he got interviewed. He didn't screamed disrespectful during someone others interview or something like that. This is how you protest the right way, and then and only then when you do it with respect, than others will listen to you.

But this is of course my own opinion. Be respectful and you will be heard!

Remember your place people. Protest when it is allowed, never break the social contract... don't make people uncomfortable by protesting for your( or other peoples) rights.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember your place people. Protest when it is allowed, never break the social contract... don't make people uncomfortable by protesting for your( or other peoples) rights.
lol You forgot that you are only allowed to care about something if you care about everything and you protest against everything. Than you are allowed to protest.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, to see adults claim that kids are ignorant of such things as basic human rights is... I can't stop facepalming when I read that. It's so dumb.

And honestly, it angers me. When I was a kid, I learned about WWII in my history class, I learned about how the Jewish people, and gay, disabled, Roma and others, were caught and sent to concentration camps, and later death camps. I learned all this before I was 12. And I was still a kid, playing video games, watching cartoons, playing outside, and having fun. I also watched and read the news and had my own opinions about a lot of stuff. Now, as an adult I can clearly see the things that are wrong with this world.

How totalitarian regimes, fascists and others are eating away at democracies around the world. How companies and governments don't do enough to ensure that every human being has a future on this planet.

Kids aren't stupid, they aren't dumb, they're way smarter than you give them credit, and to see adults try to downplay or discredit them is the fucking worst. Trying to make it sound like it's not their choice is a weak attempt at getting others to stop giving them attention. Some kids grow up early, because of reasons, and they are clearly concerned for their future, and of others.

Some of the things said in here are so monumentally dumb, and not just relating to the kids. For example, there's no such thing as a convenient protest. That is not a protest at all! Movements aren't meant to be convenient. It's not meant to make you feel comfortable. It's meant to disrupt and bring to light subjects that are, in the eyes of those protesting, wrong and could be done better.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm never entirely comfortable seeing little kids (is he even 10 years old?) shouting stuff about politics, even though I agree with the message in this particular instance... But I kinda love how upset the guy who's trying to ask his question looks lol.

Just wanted to call myself out about that first part: having now seen more about this kid, his Twitter feed, his interview, etc. Nah, I'm totally comfortable with him doing this. From the looks of it, he's clearly doing this of his own volition, and he's smart enough to know exactly what he's doing and what he's advocating for. Good kid.

Between him and people like Greta Thunberg, it's becoming more and more apparent that kids can be wiser beyond their years, and certainly wiser than many of their adult peers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much stake does reddit have in this? They showed up on the protester truck of companies

There's a lot of theories that certain posts are being taken down, etc that are pro Hong Kong, and given that ten cent recently invested $150 million into Reddit, many redditors think that those theories could be what is actually happening.

my take: subreddit mods love enforcing their rules to a degree that it looks like censorship, and there is often no nuance involved with their decision making, so Rather than censorship, it looks more like moderators just not reading the room.

Also r/hongkong has been an incredible hub of information and that has not been taken down or censored, so I'm inclined to believe that Reddit leadership isn't going to do anything about it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of theories that certain posts are being taken down, etc that are pro Hong Kong, and given that ten cent recently invested $150 million into Reddit, many redditors think that those theories could be what is actually happening.

my take: subreddit mods love enforcing their rules to a degree that it looks like censorship, and there is often no nuance involved with their decision making, so Rather than censorship, it looks more like moderators just not reading the room.

Also r/hongkong has been an incredible hub of information and that has not been taken down or censored, so I'm inclined to believe that Reddit leadership isn't going to do anything about it.
Okay because it was part of the video on the side of the truck

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
source.gif

That said, those on guys stage looked the most unhappy employees i ever saw, even compared to the guys who announced diablo immortal.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
J. Allen Brack´s Blizard logo on his collar had the pride colors which is good of course. His "apology", on the other hand, is worse than nothing. How did the Chinese, Russian and so on broadcasts treat the logo if such existed?

Some info on the man: https://wow.gamepedia.com/J._Allen_Brack
He joined in 2005, (exclusively) produced WoW since Burning Crusade and become CEO in 2018. Who knows who is to blame but one of my fingers is circeling around him.

Out of curiosity, do you have any evidence that the pin on his collar was censored in other countries? Same with the shot of Tracer's girlfriend in the OW2 trailer.

And even if it was censored, what would you have rather seen Blizzard do? Not include those things at all, or not broadcast at all to their international fans?

I saw multiple presenters that had that pin on onstage by the way; definitely wasn't just J.

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I don´t ToTheMoon. I am specifically asking the question to figure out if there is anything to the rumors. I have zero interest in Blizard being accused of stuff they have nothing to do with and i have no answers either how to do it better.
PS: Amilyn Holdo is a good character.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just wanted to call myself out about that first part: having now seen more about this kid, his Twitter feed, his interview, etc. Nah, I'm totally comfortable with him doing this. From the looks of it, he's clearly doing this of his own volition, and he's smart enough to know exactly what he's doing and what he's advocating for. Good kid.

Between him and people like Greta Thunberg, it's becoming more and more apparent that kids can be wiser beyond their years, and certainly wiser than many of their adult peers.
This callout culture against ourselves has to stop, next thing we know we are cancelling ourselves.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone saying protests need to be "respectful" clearly haven't paid attention to almost any successful protest movement ever. The vast majority become successful because being loud and disruptive is the best way to get your message out, and ultimately, force people to think about what you're protesting about.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda smart of the guy to just invite the kid up to take the microphone for a second. A lot of people intent on causing a disruption kinda clam up when the spotlight's thrown on them and they don't really have anything they can say off the cuff.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I'm guessing that host knew to expect this stuff and was probably told explicitly not censor it even in the slightest. He handled it well, especially inviting the kid up to have his say. Good on him, and good on both of those two for not being afraid to speak up.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
Yup. Good people.

Blizzard devs just sitting on stage pretending Hong Kong doesn't exist.

I mean, that's pretty much the best play that they can make right now. Same goes with the presenter.

Why try to stop it from happening when whatever reaction you give to it will only bring more attention to it? especially when it's being broadcasted on the internet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19213

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This whole Blizzard situation is just insane. They're very much in the wrong and deserve the criticism they receive.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
Good on the kid and the guy at the beginning for showing support against an authoritarian regime.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And even if it was censored, what would you have rather seen Blizzard do? Not include those things at all, or not broadcast at all to their international fans?
I'm not the one you asked, but I'd rather they not include them at all. Blizzard doesn't give a fuck about LGBT rights, they only care about our money.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, do you have any evidence that the pin on his collar was censored in other countries? Same with the shot of Tracer's girlfriend in the OW2 trailer.

I saw multiple presenters that had that pin on onstage by the way; definitely wasn't just Jay.
that's exactly the problem. now when they use the symbol it looks its marketing and no longer can be confused with a statement of empowerment.

they've broken that trust and how their messaging translates is solely on them.

spoilers, their messaging is 100% bullshit and shouldn't be trusted

Last edited:

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
They should have chanted through the whole thing and not let anyone speak. Who cares about your stupid wizard shit at this point.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
That said, those on guys stage looked the most unhappy employees i ever saw, even compared to the guys who announced diablo immortal.

Nope, they were actually quite polite and calm. Which is good - people have the right to protest. I thought everyone handled it well.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's exactly the problem. now when they use the symbol it looks its marketing and no longer can be confused with a statement of empowerment.

they've broken that trust and how their messaging translates is solely on them.

spoilers, their messaging is 100% bullshit and shouldn't be trusted

Is it actually confirmed that the OWL coach was told by blizzard to remove the tweet? Neither the VG article or the Dallas News article that VG uses as a source explicitly states that it was removed by as a result of Blizzard.