• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Because we were talking about specific kid here. And you are right there are lots of humans on this world who don't understand or don't want to understand many things. But that is whole other issue.

Because it's not his job to send political messages. It is our job as adults to fight and talk against all kind of abuses and violations of rights so kids like him around whole world could enjoy their childhood. I am telling you this as person who basically didn't have childhood until half way through elementary school because I grew up in the war and years post war weren't any better.
No one is trying to make this kid the leader of the Hong Kong movement. He's not fighting a literal war either. He's a kid trying to make a difference. I'm sure he can go home at the end of the day and play a game or read a book in peace. It can be his choice to speak out.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Props to both of those kids and to the guy at the beginning of the video.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Of course a trio of adults (Windows-PC, nikos, dex3108) are tripping over themselves to criticise a kid brave enough to use his time at this event for a worthy cause.
Because it's not his job to send political messages. It is our job as adults to fight and talk against all kind of abuses and violations of rights so kids like him around whole world could enjoy their childhood. I am telling you this as person who basically didn't have childhood until half way through elementary school because I grew up in the war and years post war weren't any better.
This is some basic ass concern trolling. You don't actually care about this kid's childhood. He will be fine after coming back home from the event. These kids are living in tumultuous times. The most well known climate activist right now is a 16 year old child, Greta Thunberg. The issues are getting so bad and adults are not doing enough so that kids are hearing about it and are willing to step up. This shouldn't be a time where you criticise their political power.
I am kinda worried that most people here are cheering for that kid. That kid was probably pushed to say that by their parents or whoever was accompanying him. It is even possible that he didn't even know what it means. And it is never ok to use children for things like that. If you have something to say do it, don't teach your kids to do it for you.
I never said they are. But at the same time they don't understand many things.

Good for him. I am still against using kids for sending political messages.
You assuming that this kid has no brain or agency of his own and underestimating what kids can understand is just bad. Your ageism and condescension towards kids is just not helping the cause.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
How to boycott Blizzard?

Spend $200 on a ticket that goes directly to the company you're trying to boycott. Makes sense. That'll show them!

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am kinda worried that most people here are cheering for that kid. That kid was probably pushed to say that by their parents or whoever was accompanying him. It is even possible that he didn't even know what it means. And it is never ok to use children for things like that. If you have something to say do it, don't teach your kids to do it for you.

I think with the access to things kids have today, they quickly learn about this stuff. Especially when it becomes a meme and they are browsing r/Blizzard and they see Mei from Overwatch with pro HK slogans.

They basically said "We apologize that our actions offended you but that's how it's gonna be." They didn't actually acknowledge exactly what they did and take action to correct it. The apology was actually just an affirmation of what they did with the word "sorry" in there somewhere for good measure.

They didn't even mention what "it" was because probably someone in China is watching and threatening Blizzard if they go back on their actions.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How to boycott Blizzard?

Spend $200 on a ticket that goes directly to the company you're trying to boycott. Makes sense. That'll show them!
The tickets were bought months ago before the Blitzchung event, not really a strong point. Besides that, not all forms of protests require boycotting of anything. Simply speaking up is still a protest.

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
The tickets were bought months ago before the Blitzchung event, not really a strong point. Besides that, not all forms of protests require boycotting of anything. Simply speaking up is still a protest.

Cancelling apparently isn't a thing I guess.

"Free Hong Kong" but hey, here's $200+ dollars, I' still love you Blizz!

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Why? I'm not sure what that has to do with your ignorance on how protesting can take different forms?

Are you just upset about the threads?

I'm totally ignorant, you got me!

And no, i'm not really upset at all the threads, but I'd like to get on here and read actual gaming topics, in the gaming forum.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I think with the access to things kids have today, they quickly learn about this stuff. Especially when it becomes a meme and they are browsing r/Blizzard and they see Mei from Overwatch with pro HK slogans.

They didn't even mention what "it" was because probably someone in China is watching and threatening Blizzard if they go back on their actions.
EGiZov3UEAArFA0

They must defend their dignity and pride after all.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Hong Kong is essentially a culturally independent city state from China that doesn't really identify as such, and is only under Chinese rule because of the decision of foreign leaders outside of their control. And it could be argued that Free Taiwan is a smaller scale example of free China. If your talking about the mainland, the populace is at least tolerant and largely supportive of the government.
Largely supportive is an understatement, the vast majority are lost inside that bubble, no matter how decent they otherwise may be.

Source: countless first-hand experiences

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really starting to notice that the usage of: "Their parents put them up to it" is starting to feel like a sort of dog whistle or something. Like they mind as well say what they actually mean: "Tell that kid to shut up."

Oct 26, 2017
Cancelling apparently isn't a thing I guess.

"Free Hong Kong" but hey, here's $200+ dollars, I' still love you Blizz!

Blizzcon tickets are non-refundable tho.

In consideration of the opportunity to purchase your Ticket to attend BlizzCon, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, you agree:

[...]

5. that the Ticket is a revocable license which may be withdrawn, and admission refused anytime upon refunding the printed purchase price. Tickets to BlizzCon, once purchased, cannot be refunded by the purchaser or exchanged;

So yeah you could not go, but you're not getting your money back anyway so you might as well go there and protest.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm totally ignorant, you got me!

And no, i'm not really upset at all the threads, but I'd like to get on here and read actual gaming topics, in the gaming forum.
There's a wonderful feature this site has where you can enter a thread and up at the top hit this button labelled "ignore thread". That should help you go back to not having to think about it.

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
There's a wonderful feature this site has where you can enter a thread and up at the top hit this button labelled "ignore thread". That should help you go back to not having to think about it.

Yea, i'm not about to do that for over half the first page. Maybe we should get like a megathread for all of this stuff.

As already answered by the two posters above me, it actually isn't a thing.

Yea I saw. Hopefully they didn't spend money on concessions or souvenirs either.. I guess?

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling and Threadwhining Over Multiple Posts
More apolitical trolls popping in here, just report and ignore them.

I'm totally interested in politics. I feel like everyone in here is blatantly ignoring the fact that Blitzchung broke the rules, hence why he is still banned. Doesn't seem that hard to figure out. Blizzard did do him dirty, but they corrected it.

Also, why are we not blasting Apple (or any other company) involved with China? We've known how shitty Foxcon workers have it for years, yet all of us are buying new iPhones without saying a word.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I saw. Hopefully they didn't spend money on concessions or souvenirs either.. I guess?
I don't think Blizzard makes money off of what third party vendors (which concessions would be included under) sell at the convention. Anyways, it doesn't actually matter. Obviously not everyone going to Blizzcon wants to boycott or otherwise protest them. Some people who are there were already locked in and do want to boycott or otherwise protest them. Both types of Blizzard fans are totally allowed at the event. There are plenty of fans, I'm sure, at Blizzcon who have no intention of boycotting them but still disagree with the way they have handled this situation and would like to protest them in other ways (like both the guy who asked the question in this video, who clearly still cares about their products, as well as the kid).

I am feeling all types of good tonight! Sit back, and play some Overwatch. Might even spend money on loot boxes.
No one really cares if you give Blizzard money or not. You don't have to boycott or protest anything. That's okay. There is no need to be dismissive and condescending of people who -do- want to protest them in any way though.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally interested in politics. I feel like everyone in here is blatantly ignoring the fact that Blitzchung broke the rules, hence why he is still banned. Doesn't seem that hard to figure out. Blizzard did do him dirty, but they corrected it.

Also, why are we not blasting Apple (or any other company) involved with China? We've known how shitty Foxcon workers have it for years, yet all of us are buying new iPhones without saying a word.
The reason why Blizzard's response isn't good enough is because Blitzchung "Breaking the rules" was something that was incredibly vague and did not really specify that what he did was against the rules explicitly. Blizzard just decided it was. Furthermore, they didn't really correct it -- he's still banned.

It also completely does not explain the bans of the two casters who were interviewing him at the time, who literally hid instead of saying anything in support of what he was saying. It's clearly Blizzard doing the bidding of the Chinese government, rather than something standard to their policy, which is why it's so gross.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
That kid probably doesn't even know what human rights are. Until you hit certain age you don't understand most things about this world in general. In most cases kids who are pushed to do things like this just repeat what they are told to do. Extreme version of this is bringing your kids to street protests.
Just because you or your children were/are dumb and uninformed as a child doesn't mean everyone is.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Y'all need to notice the pattern of the trolls, before engaging with them. Ian Danskin's video on never play defense is essential in how to notice it and avoid the mistake of engaging.
-j6TRk.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because we were talking about specific kid here. And you are right there are lots of humans on this world who don't understand or don't want to understand many things. But that is whole other issue.

imma stop you at the "it's our job as adults" part because the adults in the fuckin room care more about "ResPeCtFul PrOteSts" and doing absolutely fuck all to support the Hong Kong people.

these tales are just so bad.

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Drive-by trolling, numerous previous infractions.
Politics should stay out of gaming.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Somewhat related, but the one of the top UFC fighters, Israel Adasanya was wearing a black mask at the UFC event at MSG today.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Good, shocking how so many are back to cuddling up to Blizzard. Ok not shocking at all, gamer blind loyalty in 2019 smh

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Blizzard have royally fucked this up. And while my previous position is "why don't we criticise others for this stuff" I've changed to just "others will fall, just a matter of when". In the travel industry there has been a minor compared to this issue of airlines or travel companies having to change their websites to say "Hong Kong, China" or "Taipei, Taiwan, China" on their listing or even include them in the same country like say, New York and Washington would go under "USA". Companies will have it forced on them and it's up to us as consumers to fight back.

I do think that political protest as an official sporting event can be tricky though. Like if a player wants to kneel at the anthem I say good on him. But what if a player (or gamer in this case) wanted to voice support for... the "pray the gay away" camps? Should they be able to support them on the stream/event/ interview? Your argument could be no- it could harm teenagers/children but ultimately you would be making a political decision to shut down discourse.

I feel like they either need to leave it open but talk to streamers/ players behind the scene to keep them aware of what is expected (like say the NBA actively support more programs for minorities in the USA, they also don't have people kneeling as the players probably feel supported by the league)

who would feel supported by blizzard at this point?

The only other option is to shut any discourse down at all. I don't love this but I do see a point. It's not fair to make every company or every even a football to play out a seperate issue. We have to be careful to not just conflate Chinese people (who still may support the bans) and Chinese government policy. Just because we don't like the government or blizzards decision doesn't mean it's not a bit racist to just say "well deal, don't sell your product in China then!"