• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
This is the OP for Blizzcon. This is where you talk about it and everything surrounding it.

You can't just make a thread about Blizzcon and tell people not to mention the China controversy.

yeah but the OP is all decked out with an agenda that sets the tone for the rest of the thread. It implies that people should be shaming Blizzcon and not celebrating the games they're excited about. it's tacky.

Call out Blizzard but the OP should, at least in my opinion, be unbiased and factual. Then people can comment on what they want afterwards as per the mods. I know I'm in the minority. Call me a shill, a sympathizer, whatever. I don't care. But my stance is that Blizzard fucked up and deserves to be called out for it - its just that people are using this thread as a place to literally only scream and hope Blizzcon fails when there's people who are there and actively trying to enjoy something they paid for or get joy from. Not even counting the previous posters in this thread who have actively shamed people who are legitimately excited about the games.

My apologies to those posters if World of Warcraft is an important part of my life and brings me a modicum of joy especially in some really shitty points in my life - including most recently 2017 through most of 2018. Azeroth brings me joy. And I also think Blizzard has handled this situation poorly but I'm not going to post drive by gifs and wish the worst on a company who's majority of employees had nothing to do with the decision. If this makes ERA posters who's opinion of me literally matters nothing to my existence angry then so be it. That's on them - not me.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone want to make some predictions on Diablo IV?

1. Isometric perspective or third person?
2. Number of classes on launch?
3. Release date.

For me, I'll go with -

1. Isometric, but more camera options/angles than D3
2. I'm going with 6, and I think one will be the Druid.
3. Fall 2021

OP
OP
Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans

3. Release date.

For me, I'll go with -

3. Fall 2021

I don't see Diablo leaving isometric. It's going to be a pretty game with insane cinematic though I hope they have a better endgame. D3's endgame got old quick and the seasons weren't interesting enough to pull my back in. And my guess for release is Spring 2021.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but the OP is all decked out with an agenda that sets the tone for the rest of the thread. It implies that people should be shaming Blizzcon and not celebrating the games they're excited about. it's tacky.

Call out Blizzard but the OP should, at least in my opinion, be unbiased and factual. Then people can comment on what they want afterwards as per the mods. I know I'm in the minority. Call me a shill, a sympathizer, whatever. I don't care. But my stance is that Blizzard fucked up and deserves to be called out for it - its just that people are using this thread as a place to literally only scream and hope Blizzcon fails when there's people who are there and actively trying to enjoy something they paid for or get joy from. Not even counting the previous posters in this thread who have actively shamed people who are legitimately excited about the games.

My apologies to those posters if World of Warcraft is an important part of my life and brings me a modicum of joy especially in some really shitty points in my life - including most recently 2017 through most of 2018. Azeroth brings me joy. And I also think Blizzard has handled this situation poorly but I'm not going to post drive by gifs and wish the worst on a company who's majority of employees had nothing to do with the decision. If this makes ERA posters who's opinion of me literally matters nothing to my existence angry then so be it. That's on them - not me.

Sign me up for this post as well. I agree 100%.

Sometimes you have to take care of yourself and if that means putting on the blinders and letting some world events pass by without soaking them in, it is what it is.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

It implies that because that is EXACTLY what people should be doing. And I get that not everyone is gonna do that because some people just don't care because it doesn't affect them, but it's perfectly acceptable in my opinion to imply that people should shame Blizzard for siding with a vicious communist regime.

And that's fine. If you wanna be excited then be excited. But this isn't some regular Dev fuck up like the Diablo Immortal fiasco. Blizzard has consciously made the decision that money is more important to them than human rights and innocent lives. And that is obviously a pretty shit fucking thing to do and it deserves all the backlash and shamimg that the gaming community can muster.

So yeah be excited if you want. Cheer them on if you want. But don't be surprised if some people give you the side eye given everything that has happened these past few weeks. It's just a hard topic to ignore for alot of people. Especially since Blizzards attitude this whole time is that they think they are gonna come out and dangle shiny things in front of the crowd and all will be forgiven. Which I'm sad to say is likely what's gonna happen given the reactions i have seen so far from the leaks.

Last edited:

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017

3. Release date.
1. Isometric
2. 5 (Barb, Sorcerer, Amazon, Paladin, Druid)
3. 2020

I think people will be surprised how close it is since it was essentially ready to show last year and they've moved a lot of staff to it to launch earlier.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the OP. Great work and I am looking forward to Blizzards damage control with Diablo after last years dumpster fire with Red Shirt guy.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
It implies that because that is EXACTLY what people should be doing. And I get that not everyone is gonna do that because some people just don't care because it doesn't affect them, but it's perfectly acceptable in my opinion to imply that people should shame Blizzard for siding with a vicious communist regime.

And that's fine. If you wanna be excited then be excited. But this isn't some regular Dev fuck up like the Diablo Immortal fiasco. Blizzard has consciously made the decision that money is more important to them than human rights and innocent lives. And that is obviously a pretty shit fucking thing to do and it deserves all the backlash and shamimg that the gaming community can muster.

So yeah be excited if you want. Cheer them on if you want. But don't be surprised if some people give you the side eye given everything that has happened these past few weeks. It's just a hard topic to ignore for alot of people.

Especially since Blizzards attitude this whole time is that they think they are gonna come out and dangle shiny things in front of the crowd and all will be forgiven. Which sad to say I likely what's gonna happen given the reactions i have seen so far from the leaks.

Agree to disagree. I have no interest in debating this with you or anyone else. I'm not going to change your mind and you've already made yours up about me.

I'm here for WoW news and not people trying to shade people for being excited about things they love.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Diablo 4, OW2, new WoW expansion, this is probably one of their most interesting Blizzcons in quite a while games wise.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Agree to disagree. I have no interest in debating this with you or anyone else. I'm not going to change your mind and you've already made yours up about me.

I'm here for WoW news and not people trying to shade people for being excited about things they love.
People aren't trying to shade people for being excited about things they love. Some people are upset that the last few weeks seem to have done nothing to change peoples minds about who and what Blizzard is. A company built upon the founding principles of community and everyone having a voice decided to ignore it's community and silence its voice because it's bad for their wallet. They decided that money is more important than supporting human rights. So much so that they were willing to suspend their own players for speaking out in support of them. And then they even lied to the communities face about it.

So yeah alot of people are gonna be pretty sensitive towards the idea of cheering and clapping for these people.

You don't want me to actually explain anything to you, so I'm not going to bother.
No I really do. Explain to me how I am being disingenuous. I wanna know what i got wrong in your opinion. You can't just say I'm wrong about something I have been closely following for weeks and then shrug and walk away when I ask how.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite time of year! I made some prediction posts back in September (before the Hong Kong story and all of the recent leaks), and I think most of it holds up! What do you think of my thoughts here?

I was just about to make this thread and start the hype train going. A month (especially one like October!) goes by real fast. I'm so hyped for this year.

It feels like every one of Blizzard's franchises (except Starcraft) is poised for a major announcement, based on the way the updates and progress have been going for the past five years on all fronts. Here's what's likely to happen for each, I think, though I'm wondering if it could ALL happen, given it would be literally TOO MUCH for one Blizzcon. Then again, most folks argue the last Blizzcon was terrible and that Blizzard has a lot to prove.

1. Warcraft
    1. Warcraft 3 Reforged: Shadow-drop release, or "comes out in 1 week!" -- exclusive demo for Virtual Ticket holders
    2. World of Warcraft: Full blowout of patch 8.3 and the expansion, which (based on the events of 8.2.5 that came out this week) should align with most of the leaks and be about the Shadowlands, and whatever it is will feature Sylvanas prominently (especially given the key art for Blizzcon this year). I expect them to rectify a lot of mistakes with BFA (despite my opinion that it's been a decent expansion with cool ideas and amazing art/music). I expect something Legion-tier here. This is their last chance to capture as many people as possible, given the influx of subs from Classic, so I think they've put a ton of resources into this to make it absolutely huge and content-packed. I think we'll also (finally) see a permanent subscription price drop to $9.99.
    3. WoW Classic: A further elaboration of the phases they've created that will represent the full Classic cycle. I'm fairly certain they'll also announce that they intend to launch into Burning Crusade too, with no date given (likely 2021 or 2022).
    4. Warcraft Companion App: A redesign of the app to prepare for Shadowlands, but also for 8.3 content. Something more expansive than the current version, that also allows for auction house access, bank view, etc.
  2. Diablo
    1. Diablo 4: Announced, obviously, after the travesty of last year. I don't think we'll get much more than a tease, honestly. Maybe a hype vid that includes pre-alpha gameplay or something. A bit of a rundown on the plot and characters involved, super high-level, and a feature tease. It'll be for PC and current/next-gen platforms (PS5/Scarlett) and they'll include that in their announcement.
    2. Diablo Immortal: Deep dive into whatever's actually awesome about the game (I honestly think it'll be bigger than people think -- it's just the way it was announced that was botched) and a release window (i.e. "next spring" or whatever)
    3. Diablo II Remastered: Yeah, I think this is a thing. I think it's the least likely thing on my entire list in this post, but I think the Remastered Games division Blizzard has has to be working on something after WC3 Reforged releases, and what better candidate?
  3. Overwatch
    1. Overwatch PvE 'expansion': Announced (whatever's been reported as Overwatch 2 in the press). I think this'll constitute:
      1. A new SKU sold for something like $19-29, and which can be standalone or complementary to Overwatch
      2. A full PvE campaign playing as a new character(s) with big appearances from all the favourites
      3. Some kind of new feature that'll extend to Overwatch (not maps, heroes, or anything else that they promised would always be free to Overwatch owners) - I don't know what this would be yet
      4. A small collection of exclusive skins/sprays/cosmetics for Overwatch
      5. 5x Loot Boxes for Overwatch
      6. Some kind of beautiful collector's edition that includes a statuette of new characters from the PvE mode.
      7. Available on all platforms, including Switch
    2. Overwatch: Debut of 1 or 2 new heroes from the PvE expansion, new map/cosmetics from Nintendo's worlds (either exclusive to Switch, or available on all platforms, which will be this wild mind-blowing thing people will be really excited about), some kind of new feature for the Forge mode, and some kind of announcement about the future of Overwatch, to set expectations about the cadence of content updates going forward
  4. Heroes of the Storm
    1. HOTS: Last wave of new content announced, along with the transparent announcement that this'll be it. I'm uneducated as to the health of the game, but it's not good, right?
  5. Starcraft
    1. Starcraft II: Some more commanders or announcers or whatever
  6. Hearthstone
    1. Core game: Discussion of new content update strategy; basically an elaboration of what they've already teased and briefly announced already - blurring the lines between Standard and Wild with new rotation phases, shaking up the ladder, adding new ranked rewards - but also, possibly altering the 3-per-year expansion schedule to create some buzz/hype around 2020. I also think we'll finally see a new game mode added, but I have no idea what it'll be. Tournaments? Custom taverns? (where you can define rulesets, like only mirror-matches, or 1-leggo-per-deck, or specify which expansions are in play from the entire run of HS, etc.)
    2. New expansion announced: it'll conclude the story being told that started with Dalaran and include another solo adventure/dungeon run mode sold separately for more money, just like Tombs of Terror, and that'll happen in Jan.
  7. Mobile
    1. In addition to Diablo Immortal, Hearthstone, and my hypothesized WoW Companion App revision, I think we'll see something new. Could be a new Starcraft game, a Warcraft-themed strategy game, a version of that Marvel game everyone plays but with Blizzard heroes instead, or a new Overwatch action title starring Tracer or something.

What say you?
Yeah, it's a lot of new product announcements, but don't all of them feel...right? Like this is the right time for all of them, especially based on a) the leaks, and b) the need for each of them in Blizzard's current content cycle for each franchise?

Also, does anyone else find it weird that a HOTS-Skin made it into the key art, instead of the character's classic look?

When do we expect Virtual Ticket deets to drop?

Also, yes, that key art is fucking hot. It's the first one I've really liked since 2015's, which I nabbed instantly as a limited canvas from the store as soon as it was unveiled. I'll have to get the new one if it's released as a framed canvas as well:

IMG-0537-exported-12577421169826692.jpg
I should add:

I think they might actually announce some kind of Blizzard Plus subscription service that caters to their super fans that play multiple franchises under the Blizzard banner, or who are deep into one of them and are ripe for picking to become fans of the other. Could be priced to include a WoW sub, as well as a discounted set of loot boxes/card packs for all the relevant games, and offer flat discount rates on all Blizzard gear and services year-round. They could supplement with the other bevy of video content from their archives that they unload into the Virtual Ticket every year, and gate some cosmetic shit for all games behind a sub as well. Subscribers would also be (transparently) first in line for beta/early access for new games, demo downloads, gear sales, and whatever else. Sub would come with a subscribers-only app, and Virtual Ticket for Blizzcons (and potentially other events) would be rolled in for free (obv.) with a refreshed interface (existing Virtual Ticket UI/system kind of blows, and we all know it).

I don't like everything I described up there, but it's a sound business practice. What do you think? I mean, priced right, I'd bite. I'm a lifer with WoW, so for $5-10 extra a month, I'd do it if it gave me 75% of the above.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

3. Release date.

For me, I'll go with -

3. Fall 2021
1. Isometric but with dynamic camera movements

2. Five

3. Fall 2020

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Blizzcon is a shit show because that's what Blizzard deserves. But I expect the controversy to largely have blown over unfortunately.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

Amen. Same here, man. Blizzard has been a huge part of my life, especially during some awful lows. Not a fan of how the first post sets up the convo.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017

3. Release date.

For me, I'll go with -

3. Fall 2021
EH5vSluXYAAkgrl.png:large

Here's hoping NONE OF THIS is true

But it was posted in June, so...

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
So yeah alot of people are gonna be pretty sensitive towards the idea of cheering and clapping for these people.

Except only a tiny percentage of the people at Blizzcon would have had anything to do with the decisions that this thread is so riled up about. Should we really tar and feather the rest of the employees and game projects that don't even have esports or any interaction with the Chinese government?

Hate on the high level suits and esports management all you like, but the OP artwork is a bit disingenuous.

Anyway, it's not like we won't be getting all the up to the minute news off Wowhead and Twitter. Hope to see a few of you up at the beer garden at the con!

Seriously, posting 4chan nonsense up in here? Leave their SJW hating trolls in the garbage heap where they belong.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Use the "ignore" function. That's the best way to handle it to be honest.
EH5vSluXYAAkgrl.png:large

Here's hoping NONE OF THIS is true

But it was posted in June, so...

100% false, there was a post about it already.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

agree

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Free Hong kong.

Okay now what ?
FUU80HD7PCP01501024183601.png

tried to find the "time to kick this revolution to overdrive" from SC2 but there were only IMPACT FONT tainted image macros

but, meh, whatever, 90% of people will forget about the whole fiasco before the year is over and either go back to playing their games or be mad at something else

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
Oops, beaten to the punch.

Diablo 4 > WoW Xpac > Diablo 2 Remastered > Overwatch 2

Is my hype order. Anything HotS would be around the top but they already did their Deathwing announcement to clear room for all this I assume.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Any chance of seeing something from the mobile game again or is that completely dead now?
After last year and all of the shit from the past few weeks I would be floored if they even mention it. This Blizzcon is gonna be all about big announcements and beloved series in order to try and get people to forget the last few weeks.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After last year and all of the shit from the past few weeks I would be floored if they even mention it. This Blizzcon is gonna be all about big announcements and beloved series in order to try and get people to forget the last few weeks.
Someone earlier had a good theory about it : The game has been ready for weeks/months, but they're just waiting to announce Diablo 4, and then announce that the mobile game is available. Would be smart.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Someone earlier had a good theory about it : The game has been ready for weeks/months, but they're just waiting to announce Diablo 4, and then announce that the mobile game is available. Would be smart.
I guess so. But if it was me i would make the announcement via twitter or as an "oh btw" kind of thing.

*DIABLO 4 REVEAL*

*DIABLO 4 RELEASE DATE*

oh and Immortal is available next year

THANKS FOR COMING OUT GUYS!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
No I really do. Explain to me how I am being disingenuous. I wanna know what i got wrong in your opinion. You can't just say I'm wrong about something I have been closely following for weeks and then shrug and walk away when I ask how.

Your argument is that an OT about a thing doesn't have to be about that thing, which is an inherently ridiculous position. I don't know how else to explain it. You claim to be "fine" with people still being excited about Blizzard games, yet at the same time seem to express incredulity at the idea that people would want the OT of a Blizzcon thread to actually be about Blizzcon. And if you think the OT is actually a good faith effort at making a thread to discuss Blizzcon itself then I really don't know what else there is to talk about.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That doesn't change the fact you just implied physical violence will be inflicted on people by Blizzard for mentioning the situation in Hong Kong. That's not true and it's gross. Nothing like that is going to happen to anyone who attends this event unless its by someone absolutely unhinged and they need to have charges pressed against them if it does.

Won't somebody please think of the corporations

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your argument is that an OT about a thing doesn't have to be about that thing, which is an inherently ridiculous position. I don't know how else to explain it. You claim to be "fine" with people still being excited about Blizzard games, yet at the same time seem to express incredulity at the idea that people would want the OT of a Blizzcon thread to actually be about Blizzcon. And if you think the OT is actually a good faith effort at making a thread to discuss Blizzcon itself then I really don't know what else there is to talk about.
The OT is about blizzcon, cry me a river