• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I needed this to enter the Great American Beer Fest when I visited Denver last year. Good luck if you're coming from out of the Country, as the app won't be available on your App Store.

My friend got around it by contacting the festival directly. He's paranoid about security and this is a leaky as hell app.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
LOL. People here are such sheep. Having those permissions on a ticketing app is not spyware. Here are the permissions required by the Steam app btw:

Phone
  • read phone status and identity
Photos/Media/Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
Storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
Device ID & call information
  • read phone status and identity

Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • full network access
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping

This thread should be closed.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
LOL. People here are such sheep. Having those permissions on a ticketing app is not spyware. Here are the permissions required by the Steam app btw:

This thread should be closed.
at the very least it should be updated to remove the "spyware" bit from the title. That's just nonsense.

No way this could be real.
Which part of it? because a lot of the scaremongering in the first page and OP indeed is not real.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I think the security concerns are overblown, as expected. That said, it's not a good look for Blizz, considering what happened last time. I can understand they want to get this out of the way early. :)

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a source for this last statement? Genuinely curious, the app shouldn't be able to access anything sensitive with those permissions except maybe contacts.

Leaky by the fact that it's constantly tracking and sending real time location data. The permissions the app requests are very far reaching.

Personally, I didn't really care and I downloaded it, but I'd still rather not be forced to consent to real time data collection for visiting an event.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Leaky by the fact that it's constantly tracking and sending real time location data. The permissions the app requests are very far reaching.

Personally, I didn't really care and I downloaded it, but I'd still rather not be forced to consent to real time data collection for visiting an event.
Do you have evidence to actually back this up? Because nothing about those permissions actually implies that it is doing that. Nothing the app is asking for permissions wise is "far reaching."

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Perhaps they want less people to show up after last years terrible Diablo shitshow?
0*b5c7F9EeUtZN4yAW.JPG

We never asked for this.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see Android is still awful with permissions. I switched away 4 years ago and I don't miss that aspect of it at all.

SleepyPanda46

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it is not the only app doing things like this. Most people (me inlcuded) might given der data away anyway by some app on the phone.
I am not trying to defend the app or blizzard at the moment but if apps and practices like this dont result in lesser sales or clear no buy from the customer nothing will change anywhere in the world with this things.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Even after reading the article posted by the OP, I'm baffled with why they are even enforcing this. I possibly need to get a burner phone just so I can attend the convention.

I mean, even disregarding all the spying and ethics problems with enforcing such a policy, my phone battery can't handle that for a whole day. What happens after the battery dies?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine those who are truly upset over this do not have any of the most popular apps installed on their phones.. right?

I'm all for people arguing for digital rights, but pointing the finger at Blizzard is pants on head stupid.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Pretty much. This thread should be shitting at Google, not Blizzard.
More specifically - I don't think this app does anything nefarious, and the outrage is ridiculous.

But the way Android displays permissions is incredibly confusing and worrying. Like, why is the fact that the app can access an Internet even a "permission" these days? Let alone multiple different permissions overlapping in various ways?

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Even after reading the article posted by the OP, I'm baffled with why they are even enforcing this. I possibly need to get a burner phone just so I can attend the convention.

I mean, even disregarding all the spying and ethics problems with enforcing such a policy, my phone battery can't handle that for a whole day. What happens after the battery dies?
You only need it when you pick up your badge. Once the badge is picked up you can delete the app

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Wow, they're really out to get that Windows Phone guy that was at last year's Blizzcon.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
What's up with this defeatist attitude of "well every app does this so it's fine"? That's what got us here in the first place.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
You only need it when you pick up your badge. Once the badge is picked up you can delete the app

Okay, now I'm really confused.

You go to conventions without a portable charger?
Outside from business calls and using my phone as an MP3 player, I make an effort to not glue myself to my phone when I'm attending a public convention. When I went to PAX in 2018, I left mine in my suitcase (locked, in case if you're asking) so I could attend to the convention and have a good time.

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I remember hearing how the AXS app is good for preventing scalping. Since the qr code changes every minute, it's a lot harder for scalpers to sell.

I've only had to use this app once at Staples Center, buying a second hand ticket probably from a Clippers season ticket holder. I then didn't get the ticket in my account until 24 hours before the Clippers game.

Dec 4, 2018
Honestly why does Blizzcon even exist at this point

People keep buying tickets. Look at how fast they sold out. Now, I'm not sure if this batch is the first or second. If the second batch doesn't sell out there is hope. (I doubt it.)

People need to raise hell and demand refunds which unfortunately is something I don't think will happen. There will be negative articles but it won't make a difference. People keep buying Blizzard's products (multiple times each) and allowing themselves to be fucked over every which way Blizzard comes up with.

The people in charge will not care beyond their social media marketing department. People keep allowing Blizzard to do this is and there is no reason for Blizzard to stop because of that.

I forever gave up blizzard products. I'm happier too.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
You so badly need laws equivalent to GDPR in the states. They would never be able to pull that kind of shit in Europe.
This and similar apps exist in EU countries. It's not doing anything wrong, people just like complaining because Blizzard is involved I guess? God forbid an app that can give you directions is given access to your location 😂

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
I am confused by all the concern, why not deny it access to these permissions. In Android any app I launch for the first time requests access, but I just deny it everything accept what the app needs. No app needs access to my contacts and it has never been an issue.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I'll prob skip like last year. Now that they also reduced SC2 finals to 1 day, might as well watch it from home.

Jun 17, 2018
Done about what?! The EU aren't going to back you up on the premise of "I dislike Blizzard so this app is probably doing something bad even though there's no evidence that it is"

Collecting far too much personal data without a valid legal basis. Not being able to enter the venue without agreeing to the above doesn't constitute valid consent under EU law.

Don't even get me started on this kind of shit. It's my day job

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
If those permission requirements are accurate, they're pretty standard for apps like this, maybe even a bit conservative.

Maybe don't do knee-jerk reactions to stuff before looking into it at least a little bit?

And by the way, I dislike apps asking for so many permissions in general, just pointing out this is in no way out of the ordinary.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked the ticket prices and they range from $230 - $750!!!

These are E3 level pricings! (aind in some cases even worse)

So on top of this, they mandate installing some shitty, spyware infested app?