• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't though. Hearthstone account is registered under NetEase.

The fact of the matter is: Blizzard bent to the will of fascism in order to appease Chinese investors. And they continue to silence anyone supporting human rights in favor of Hong kong. It's clear that this is their stance regardless of where the statement came from. Silence is compliance.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
The fact of the matter is: Blizzard bent to the will of fascism in order to appease Chinese investors. And they continue to silence anyone supporting human rights in favor of Hong kong. It's clear that this is their stance regardless of where the statement came from. Silence is compliance.

I'm not disagreeing with that Blizzard is complying with China regarding HK and they deserve whatever criticism coming at them.
I just don't think Blizzard has anything to do with the genocide in Xinjiang at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not disagreeing with that Blizzard is complying with China regarding HK and they desire whatever criticism coming at them.
I just don't think Blizzard has anything to do with the genocide in Xinjiang at all.

I'm not seeing your point then.

Is this not important enough to speak out against since Blizzard isn't the root cause of the suffering, but instead, merely supporting it?

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

Is this not important enough to speak out against since Blizzard isn't the root cause of the suffering, but instead, merely supporting it?

Blitzchung was not banned for speaking out about Xinjiang. So I don't really understand how Blizzard is directly supporting genocide or how Xinjiang is relevant in the discussion about Blitzchung.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
But yeah, I wish i was excited for this,and I am, but I myself completely stopped playing Overwatch after the Hong Kong protest thing happened.

Overwatch is my most played game this year, I've clocked in over 150+ hours on it just this year alone.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
That was from NetEase, the operator of Hearthstone in China. Blizzard China's statement didn't include that.
What's NetEase, some kind of Tencent?
/s

Also, reading that JSchreier article, this is the first I've heard that Dustin Browder left Blizzard.
Holy fucking shit. Blizzard games are gonna be good now.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's a stretch to say that Blizzard is "supporting suffering".

They're a company that does business in China, and they don't want their platform to be used for controversial political messages (e.g. MAGA, #BlueLivesMatter, Trump 2020, etc.). I don't think they're in favor of some of the things that the Chinese government does, nor are they actively supporting them.

Last edited:

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I think it's a stretch to say that Blizzard is "supporting suffering".

They're a company that does business in China, and they don't want their platform to be used for controversial political messages (e.g. MAGA, #BlueLivesMatter, Trump 2020, etc.). I don't think they're in favor of some of the things that the Chinese government does, nor are they actively supporting them.
Don't you think that comparing alt right rhetoric to "support protesters that are being actively killed" is pretty ridiculous?

I'm not sure you intended to make a false equivalence but I'm pretty sure you just did.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
You don't see how being complicit in the Chinese Government's humans rights violations in a particular region might also be seen as being complicit in the Chinese Government's human rights violations in another region?

Not really. Unless China is using Hearthstone to commit genocide then yes, I can see how there's a connection.

I do think there is a distinction between being compliant with suppression of speech and being complicit in genocide.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
My stupid lizard brain can't get enough of Warcraft lore so I'm excited about the new expansion. Very conflicting feelings about the event overall though.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
I am ready for some more OW but I just hope that it also comes on switch because it costed me like 50$ in japan.

The new genji looks pretty cool

Who owns Hearthstone? Blizzard. It is their job if that statement is not in line with their policies to put out one of their own rebuking the notion and saying they would stand with human rights.

Until they do that and apologize, we know Blizzard stands for oppression and genocide.
Imagine goalposting this hard lol

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I am ready for some more OW but I just hope that it also comes on switch because it costed me like 50$ in japan.

The new genji looks pretty cool

Imagine goalposting this hard lol
Not really. It's an official account of a blizzard product. Unless Blizzard comes out and refutes the statement by an official account, Blizzard stands in support of oppression and genocide.

If they feel Netease supporting the crushing of human rights with an official blizzard account isn't the kind of statement they want to support, Blizzard needs to say so.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Also, reading that JSchreier article, this is the first I've heard that Dustin Browder left Blizzard.
Holy fucking shit. Blizzard games are gonna be good now.
Is this some inside info like you had about HOTS, because I agree Browder wasn't good for SC2 but is there more to it?

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Is this some inside info like you had about HOTS, because I agree Browder wasn't good for SC2 but is there more to it?
Being in the MOBA/RTS space, I've worked with a lot of people who have worked with him, or in one case... left the company to avoid working with him.
He also got really offended when I tried to offer some suggestions about HotS. Like, cursed at me.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Don't you think that comparing alt right rhetoric to "support protesters that are being actively killed" is pretty ridiculous?

I'm not sure you intended to make a false equivalence but I'm pretty sure you just did.

If the entire world was ResetERA, then it would absolutely be ridiculous.

But, for better or worse, it isn't. There are millions of people in America who would proudly display any of the phrases I wrote above on a bumper sticker or their t-shirt without batting an eye. Similarly, there are millions of people for whom the situation in Hong Kong is a lot more ambiguous than how you framed it.

Blizzard is in the business of making creative art that brings people together from around the world. To achieve that goal, they try to avoid taking overt* political stances. It's perfectly valid to fault them for that if you want, but it's also worth noting that there are much larger, more influential companies (any of the tech giants, for instance) that similarly do everything they can to avoid explicit political stances. If you create controversy and division, then it's bad for business, and it's also bad for your goal of bringing people from disparate cultures together.

* While they avoid taking overt political stances, their games have plenty of implicit ones. Overwatch is a game about a diverse, multi-national group of characters that all share liberal ideals. Battle for Azeroth recently had a story about a leader who seized control of a country using nationalist rhetoric with an emphasis on "loyalty" and fearmongering about "traitors". They may not want to come out and take an overt stance on contemporary political issues that are still in the process of evolving, but that doesn't mean that they're apolitical.

Last edited:

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
If the entire world was ResetERA, then it would absolutely be ridiculous.

But, for better or worse, it isn't. There are millions of people in America who would proudly display any of the phrases I wrote above on a bumper sticker or their t-shirt without batting an eye. Similarly, there are millions of people for whom the situation in Hong Kong is a lot more ambiguous than how you framed it.

Blizzard is in the business of making creative art that brings people together from around the world. To achieve that goal, they try to avoid taking overt* political stances. It's perfectly valid to fault them for that if you want, but it's also worth noting that there are much larger, more influential companies (any of the tech giants, for instance) that similarly do everything they can to avoid explicit political stances. If you create controversy and division, then it's bad for business, and it's also bad for your goal of bringing people from disparate cultures together.

* While they avoid taking overt political stances, their games have plenty of implicit ones. Overwatch is a game about a diverse, multi-national group of characters that all share liberal ideals. Battle for Azeroth recently had a story about a leader who seized control of a country using nationalist rhetoric with an emphasis on "loyalty" and fearmongering about "traitors". They may not want to come out and take an overt stance on contemporary political issues that are still in the process of evolving, but that doesn't mean that they're apolitical.
See, you think that this is a matter of opinion. I think that there is a fundamental difference between supporting basic human rights and supporting a president. If you disagree, I'm not sure what to tell you.

As for the rest of your post... "Always a bigger fish"?

That's all you've got here? "Enlightened" centrists are exhausting.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
See, you think that this is a matter of opinion. I think that there is a fundamental difference between supporting basic human rights and supporting a president. If you disagree, I'm not sure what to tell you.

As for the rest of your post... "Always a bigger fish"?

That's all you've got here? "Enlightened" centrists are exhausting.

I can see why you're exhausted if that's the tone you take when someone tries to answer your question. I don't particularly care if you write a proper response to my post or not, but going forward I'd urge you to read and respond to what people are actually saying instead of the caricature that exists in your mind.

I'm right here. I'm part of the same forum that you are, reading the same posts. No need to put your insults in the third person.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing another user
I can see why you're exhausted if that's the tone you take when someone tries to answer your question. I don't particularly care if you write a proper response to my post or not, but going forward I'd urge you to read and respond to what people are actually saying instead of the caricature that exists in your mind.

I'm right here. I'm part of the same forum that you are, reading the same posts. No need to put your insults in the third person.
I'd encourage you to stop using argumentative tactics straight out of the alt-right playbook.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
She's an exclusively Apple fan unfortunately.

Not "unfortunately". Apple is really great and very well liked outside internet forums and comment sections, you know.

As for the topic - I'm a bit disappointed that OW2 is shaping out to be something different than I hoped for (I hoped for a true PvE game with much more PvE content alongside PvP elements).

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

xqc just leaked it, calls it new game instead of expansion

images

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Being in the MOBA/RTS space, I've worked with a lot of people who have worked with him, or in one case... left the company to avoid working with him.
He also got really offended when I tried to offer some suggestions about HotS. Like, cursed at me.
That's too bad, he seemed incredibly passionate during the sc2 beta / wings of liberty era. Terrible terrible damage!

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
That's too bad, he seemed incredibly passionate during the sc2 beta / wings of liberty era. Terrible terrible damage!
Passion isn't a good quality in a designer. On the other hand, being dispassionate is an important quality to have in order to reliably parse feedback... and that's exactly what Dustin Browder sucked at doing.