• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
It won't happen... It's like saying there will be a League of Legends 2.
OW is OW, they just keep on building it.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch was always positioned as a competitive multiplayer team based class shooter. The PVE content they've put out has always been a side show, which is as it should be. The thing that makes Overwatch worth playing is the competitive game mode.

What an odd thing to read about a Blizzard property. I guess modern Blizzard is really that far removed from classic Blizzard.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Overwatch 2 sounds like the perfect way to to split and destroy the existing playerbase and competetive scene. They have their mtx sales so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to invest so much to split the series. Overwatch will get support for years to come.

But who the heck knows after the recent bullshit with Activision.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing they are making is Suicide Watch because Overwatch is dying

The craze is over, they failed to capitalize the huge growth they had with the game in my honest opinion.
I can't really have a positive outlook with current ActivisionBlizzard, and it sucks. I love Blizzard, and Overwatch had so much potential.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I was legit thinking you had leaks on this Overwatch 2. What you said didn't make much sense from a logical POV especially considering Blizzard's recent history with their games.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I'm amazed how in this forum some people argue that Overwatch is not a Gaas game and in a thread besides it some other argue how ARMS it's a Gaas game for sure.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I don't think they'll do a full sequel. It doesn't make any sense to me.. I think it's more likely that they're working on a big expansion that will include several new characters, maps and game modes that all release at once. I'd chuck ÂŁ10-20 to play all this new stuff, and I haven't played the game in a year or so.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I really don't think they'd look at a sequel unless the current game sees playerbase declines that seem completely unsalvageable. Splitting the user base between two games can kill both, so it's not worth the risk until the first game falls enough that they're ready to write it off completely.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you want to pay $60 for a new game that will still have meta issues because all games do instead of them just fixing their current game.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Terrible idea, why give up the roster you have now to reset it? They have much bigger problems than needing a new game. All of which they can address on this platform if they cared enough to do so. They just don't.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I wonder will we get an OW2 based on the first but also an Over watch BR mode similar to Apex.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
I doubt there'll be a sequel of Overwatch any time soon. They should just try to fix all the flaws the game has and release an update that is like OW 2.0 without having a new game. Other than that I could imagine a spin-off. But what exactly would they need to plan? Battle Royale? Maybe like Apex with OW heroes?

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't make sense to me. The original game is just fine and they could/should be doing new stuff with it instead of making a sequel. I do believe they are working on OW spin off games though.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think until the engine buckles under its own weight, a sequel is unnecessary. Balance, ability and character changes can simply be part of the rolling updates. This has both benefits and drawbacks, the overall risks of losing players who won't transition outweigh whatever perceived advantages switching titles will bring.

Dota 2 has had some really fucking wild swings in terms of changing the game outside of simple balance changes and not needed to move everyone to a new game. Moving to a new title, I feel, is a relatively short-sighted solution to a longer term problem which can be overcome with what they already have.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
Overwatch 2 doesn't make any sense.

This game is like LOL or Counter Strike, or WoW.
They will only make a sequel after the current engine is obsolete.

Lets have this conversation again in 10 years.
Until then it is ok to expect spin-off games and movies.

Kathartic

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Is Overwatch stil f2p in asia?

if yes, tell me why they need to realease a sequel for a f2p game?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It makes no sense. Why releasing a new game, splitting players, instead of improving your existing one? Okay, money, I know. But otherwise, no.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch competitive is mechanically simple? Are you for real? Have you seen how much people struggle with basic facets of the game like team comp, or how to tank? Between high plat to mid-diamond Overwatch is probably the most toxic game on the planet due to the players at that rank being able to hit targets but mostly lacking any game sense.

Also, you're simply wrong about the impact the additions to the game have had. Sure, it would have been nice to have more, but they added Ana, Brig, Moira, Orisa, and Doomfirst, to name the heroes with most impact. All of those characters have completely changed the game. Their kit is entirely balanced around the competitive game mode.

Mechanically as in the complexity of the gameplay systems, complexity does not equal depth, difficulty, or nuance.

IE you could more content for the game than just 'online PvP stuff' without having to balance heroes particularly for things like PvE etc, and in doing so would not effect the PvP game. It's one of the benefits of the game being made for PvP first instead of the problem that MMOs run into with being built around PvE w basic AI and mobs, and then figuring out ways to make PvP balanced (often resulting in seoerate gear types etc).

Just curious, do you also want a single player/campaign mode for Counter Strike or Rocket League?

I wouldn't say so. The thing with overwatch is that a massive part of its appeal lies in the characters, world, and lore. That's why people want more than just 'new map and hero' with what can barely be called drip feeding; they want more access into experiencing overwatch actively. It's the same reason why you can have overwatch comic books than people eat up. Overwatch is presented in character/narrative terms that the others simply as not.

What an odd thing to read about a Blizzard property. I guess modern Blizzard is really that far removed from classic Blizzard.

IMO, it's just a bad take from someone who narrowly engages with the property. It's cool that is all Overwatch really is to them, but that's not represented in the fan base as a whole.

Terrible idea, why give up the roster you have now to reset it? They have much bigger problems than needing a new game. All of which they can address on this platform if they cared enough to do so. They just don't.

It's extremely doubtful that they have been allowed to attempt letting Overwatch live up to its potential. They have to satisfy the shareholders first and that means that the games bery monetization ethos was pitched as 'doing the least work for the fastest return that can keep the engagement pool just satisfied enough over a protracted period of time' instead of having a roadmap to make meaningful additions to it that would cost money, time, and would be seen as risks.

If all of that CG/Comic and other movie from the budget had gone into more ambition in updating the base game, or had there been more ambition and no shareholders to disproportionately serve first and foremost, Overwatch would be bigger than it currently is and a better game.

Again, an example of doing it right from a game that started as a barely functional and extremely limited corridor grinder

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder exactly how lucrative Overwatch is right now. They permanently halved the price of the game in January, and I have a strong suspicion that lootbox sales are pretty much non-existent these days (skins are the only things people care about, and most players already have skins they like for the characters they play). I think going free to play, with more scope for recurring monetisation (something akin to Fortnite's Battle Pass probably) is the most likely path for the game.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch 2 doesn't make any sense.

This game is like LOL or Counter Strike, or WoW.
They will only make a sequel after the current engine is obsolete.

Lets have this conversation again in 10 years.
Until then it is ok to expect spin-off games and movies.

Wow has had countless lore based expansions, both games sell a world and its characters as the hook into the gameplay, I wonder why people want more from Overwatch ;)
It won't happen... It's like saying there will be a League of Legends 2.
OW is OW, they just keep on building it.

They haven't been building anything but the first floor for years, and people are bored of the view

Is Overwatch stil f2p in asia?

if yes, tell me why they need to realease a sequel for a f2p game?

They're certainly not reinvesting profits and growing it like a F2P game. Maybe they should make it F2P everywhere alongside some big new feature of actual note while then presenting a roadmap. Hell, anything at this point would be 'well finally'.

Last edited:

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see myself coming back. It was great back in 2016-2017, but the audience has moved on to Battle Royale. Hopefully Overwatch incorporates that mode soon and I might come back.

I think that focusing on changing the meta constantly broke the game. It certainly made it less fun and unpredictable.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
Wow has had countless lore based expansions And overwatch is closer in its identity to

Excatly, expansions, new content for the same game. The game is an evolving service for years and years.
And this is the same for Overwatch. It is constantly getting "expansions", but they are free, with new lore, characters, maps, costumes and even modes (arcade).

Plus, this is a competitive e-sports game.
It is much harder to create new content for it.
Each new character and map must be perfectly balanced, otherwise it will break the game.
This game took years to be made with just the base characters.
In WoW it is easy to add tons of new maps, but they rarely create new classes or spells (and OW is all about these two things).

Last edited:

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Games as service receiving new entries is so stupid. I play DotA 2 for 10 years already and never asked for DotA 3. They already revamped the game twice, and lots of things have been included with no limitations.

We are not even talking about a new game for a new gen. We talking the same gen! Why do you thrink a sequel selling for the exact same price would triple the amount of feature like you are describing?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
They should make a story single player version of overwatch and leave original overwatch as an eternal updating multiplayer game.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Y'all saying "nah Blizzard takes forever to make sequels" should check out my reporting on how Blizzard has changed over the past year.

https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195
https://kotaku.com/with-activisions-influence-growing-blizzard-is-cutting-1831263741

Remember that Activision is a company whose entire strategy is based around annualized releases, and they've recently been exerting more and more influence on Blizzard for a number of reasons. (Mike Morhaime's departure is a massive deal!) I'd expect to see more Blizzard games released at a more rapid pace starting next year. The last big new Blizzard game came out in May 2016 - I don't think anyone in either company's management wants a drought like that again.
But we basically got our answer regarding Overwatch.
There is no Overwatch 2 in the works, and will not be for the foreseeable future

That said Overwatch spin off games are in development / concept and is a thing so yeah
And it's basically what I expected (a spin-off, but nothing that'll replace Overwatch itself).

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's extremely doubtful that they have been allowed to attempt letting Overwatch live up to its potential. They have to satisfy the shareholders first and that means that the games bery monetization ethos was pitched as 'doing the least work for the fastest return that can keep the engagement pool just satisfied enough over a protracted period of time' instead of having a roadmap to make meaningful additions to it that would cost money, time, and would be seen as risks.

If all of that CG/Comic and other movie from the budget had gone into more ambition in updating the base game, or had there been more ambition and no shareholders to disproportionately serve first and foremost, Overwatch would be bigger than it currently is and a better game.

Again, an example of doing it right from a game that started as a barely functional and extremely limited corridor grinder

If Activision isnt going to back blizzard in actively engaging and listening to its audience then nothing will change about the game. Warframe is as popular as it is today by listening to its audience and offering that experience for free. Maybe they flip overwatch into a f2p game, but they have to work on putting the game in a more palatable place as well. The content drip is too slow and not much of it changes the meta of the game anyways. We can point to "what ifs" with their budget, but thay doesnt change anything about what activision wants for the game.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would highly disagree with the notion of Overwatch adding in different loadouts/weapons for characters. The entire point of strategy in the game is that when you see a Pharah, Roadhog, Zarya or Zenyatta you immediately know what they are capable of doing. I don't want that to become a guessing game because I can't see that a gun is slightly different looking from 50 yards away.

Also Blizzard has a hard enough time keeping things balanced as it is, could you imagine if each character had 2-3 different weapons and interchangeable abilities? Lawd.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm fairly convinced (with no inside information, of course) that we're going to be seeing a LEGO Overwatch game this year from the folks at TT.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I wish, I hate these service type games when they go on for so long without changing anything in a big way. OW has felt so stale since early last year, Having abig shakeup would be appreciated.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
These type of games don't get sequels, they get years of support. Blizzard is not going to fragment the playerbase like that in a competitive game. They are simply going to keep adding to OW. Especially in a time like this where most of the most popular online games are free. I think it will be a long time.

This. Also, it's way too soon. The game is constantly getting updates and is still so fresh imo. It's only been 3 years, right? Idk. People always want new games so fast. Does the game really feel old to you already?

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
It won't happen. Overwatch League has too much invested in it right now. A sequel would fragment the base and there's no guarantee all the OWL players would switch to the new game. They're just going to keep updating and balance changing the current game.

If at some point OWL revenue tanks and they shutter it like they did the Heroes of the Storm esports stuff, then maybe OW2 will be in development. Until then, live with Overwatch.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder exactly how lucrative Overwatch is right now. They permanently halved the price of the game in January, and I have a strong suspicion that lootbox sales are pretty much non-existent these days (skins are the only things people care about, and most players already have skins they like for the characters they play). I think going free to play, with more scope for recurring monetisation (something akin to Fortnite's Battle Pass probably) is the most likely path for the game.
That's probably why they're going all in on OWL. It's the biggest money maker for them by a mile.

I also think a battle pass is likely. It's really the only thing that makes sense since the lootboxes barely make money and they won't do DLC that splits the userbase.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To the very limited extent you actually have any specific or substantive ideas in there, they are all terrible and make no sense from either a business or a player point of view. It sounds like you just want an entirely different game and that desire is in no way responsive to the current state of Overwatch from Blizzard's perspective.

This game is going to be supported and supplemented for a long time to come, likely with more than a few significant shake-ups before it's all over.

You don't make a whole new game because you don't like the current meta.

Oct 25, 2017
Won't be a sequel, but I expect they'll introduce overhauls and additions to gameplay sometime in the near future. If they do something drastically different like battle royal, that would probably be a spinoff along side overwatch.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Classic WoW will bring back the subs. Oddly enough.

Knowing there will be a hard cap with no future expansion and a locked-down endgame will probably draw in some oldtimers, like me who are sick of the bi-yearly $49.99 expansions that make all your previous efforts obsolete. Not to mention these awful systems they add to the game each expansion that nobody ever asked for.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I'm satisfied with Overwatch right now and it's a game I can keep on returning to everyone and then. I hope eventually they add some story or lore in game.
I'm surprised the shorts weren't patched in.
It would be interesting to see eventually what they would do for an Overwatch 2.
I think Overwatch would carry to the next gen, and sometime in the middle of next gen we may get a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.