• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I bet we're getting a controlled 'leak' of a game Blizzard will drop at BlizzCon in the next week. Maybe a CG trailer.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
To people citing the fact that there are rules in place at many companies to avoid having employees step into divisive territory, I don't think everyone who's calling for protesting Blizzard is blissfully unaware how the world works... Best I just speak for myself. What I want to happen is that it will never be taboo to speak out against discrimination, human rights abuse, stuff any compassionate person can agree on sucks to be the victim of, especially if it's being done peacefully and with consideration of all involved parties. If the rules are that every company has to be Switzerland and look the other way at such things cause that's the way we do business in the world then that's exactly what the protests are fundamentally about. Anytime someone argues against a fundamental change in how humanity understands itself with "but it's completely normal the way it is" I ask myself why can't we have nice things? Why can't we strive to evolve into something better? Why do we have to agree on these arbitrary rules? And while my idealism has certainly lost its edge over my adult years I still hold on to a little bit of hope that that's possible and am thankful for all people willing to believe in it as well.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love a corporation that operates in America infringing on the right to freedom of speech against a dictatorship. Since blizzard cares more about thier feelins more then ours, how about they pack up ship to China since they love them so much?
Greedy people want to have their cake and being able to eat it.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm curious. In what way would this hurt Blizzard? You've already paid for their games/services, wouldn't it hurt them equally by simply not logging in?

I'm very pro-Hong Kong because the matter is very personal for me, since like... I live next door, but I just talked my friends into keeping their Blizzard account because I felt deleting your account will just be like that time when the right burnt their Nike. I mean, if someone could explain how deleting their account would hurt Blizzard, I'll happily join the effort, despite that same obstacle you mentioned.

It shows that there is no possibility that I will be supporting them (or Activision) in the future.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm curious. In what way would this hurt Blizzard? You've already paid for their games/services, wouldn't it hurt them equally by simply not logging in?

I'm very pro-Hong Kong because the matter is very personal for me, since like... I live next door, but I just talked my friends into keeping their Blizzard account because I felt deleting your account will just be like that time when the right burnt their Nike. I mean, if someone could explain how deleting their account would hurt Blizzard, I'll happily join the effort, despite that same obstacle you mentioned.

In theory, if they have metrics about account deletions, it would show them how many people are willing to delete theirs, which is a more drastic and trackable measure than just not logging in.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

In this age of microtransactions and subscriptions, engagement means just as much if not more that direct purchases.

By deleting your account your depriving them of one potential sale down the line which no doesn't make a difference but if enough people do it, it would definitely make blizzard wary of doing this.

Also burning the nike was a counter protest to a legitimate protest. Arguing that protesting against China in anyway you can and burning your Nike boots cause the blacks are getting all uppity because of getting shot all the time is the same is a bit disingenuous don't you think.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
It shows that there is no possibility that I will be supporting them (or Activision) in the future.
In theory, if they have metrics about account deletions, it would show them how many people are willing to delete theirs, which is a more drastic and trackable measure than just not logging in.
Ah, right, I see. Guess I'll delete my account as well.

In this age of microtransactions and subscriptions, engagement means just as much if not more that direct purchases.

By deleting your account your depriving them of one potential sale down the line which no doesn't make a difference but if enough people do it, it would definitely make blizzard wary of doing this.

Also burning the nike was a counter protest to a legitimate protest. Arguing that protesting against China in anyway you can and burning your Nike boots cause the blacks are getting all uppity because of getting shot all the time is the same is a bit disingenuous don't you think.
You misunderstood me, I merely meant that "deleting your account is pointless as Blizzard already got your money" much like how them idiots burning their Nike was.

I'm being personally affected by this protest, as in, given that I've made my pro-Hong Kong stance public, I could very well be joining the mysteriously "suicide" group before or if China wins. This isn't just some personal justice and righteousness for some news overseas, it's literally where I live, win or lose could affect me greatly. Of course, being not a great fan of China (to put it lightly), is a major reason why I chose my side.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Hardly matters since they didn't suspend the casters as well and it took them considerably longer to act. Banning these folks screams "we lied about our reasoning and now we have to try and make it seem legit." This just makes them look even worse. Much like canceling their Switch convention. They're not getting out of this by hiding their head and banning more people.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Is there a way of deleting your Battle.net account without government ID? I don't want to give them that information.

Tell them you're willing to verify any data they already have on record but you will not, under any circumstances, give them new data. You didn't need to jump through this hoop to create the account and give them money so it's BS to require it now. Repeat that you want your account (and thus your personal data) deleted as is your right.

Feb 24, 2018
Really worrying this is fizzling out as a concern in the gaming community, really beginning to see less and less care for this and even contempt and mockery for people who do care. The recent Overwatch thread really felt like some were taking a swipe at people for caring.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017

China bans exports of black clothing to Hong Kong amid protests; all mailings to city 'severely investigated', courier firm worker says
  • Courier companies based in Guangdong, province bordering Hong Kong, have issued notices that customs requires halt to deliveries of black clothing, other items
  • Protesters have adopted as their uniform black T-shirts, jeans and sneakers, often paired with a black face mask

How long until they ban Overwatch because of Mei being used as a symbol for the protests I wonder.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Really worrying this is fizzling out as a concern in the gaming community, really beginning to see less and less care for this and even contempt and mockery for people who do care. The recent Overwatch thread really felt like some were taking a swipe at people for caring.

Unfortunately, I think some folks believe that the punishment reduction is good enough. There are people who were only upset at the severity of the punishment.instead of the overall issue of how attached Blizzard is in supporting the Chinese government. "Take the politics out of my video games" and all that.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously this just means everyone in the world should keep their black clothing, and where them at event highly visible to the Chinese government.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
PlayHearthstone streams again....

BalMcNB.png

All these bans are "Hong Kong" mentions, but just one mod though - so probably not an official stance

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
So I take it Blizzards options here are to either ride it out, potentially get banned in China, or attempt to completely segregate the Chinese Blizzard experience from the rest of the world (Censored Chinese clients with China-only tournaments)?

I feel like the CPC wouldn't like the third option since they want to enforce their stances as the global norm.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. This probably deserves it's own thread. This is basically a warning.

This letter to me (and i could be wrong) seems to be a "Hey, We see you and your interests with China, Blizzard. Get on the right team" from the united states government.

Edit: And after thinking about it, What are they gonna do? The republican ran US government has been a shitshow. They arent gonna do a damn thing against blizzard except slap them on the hand and say "dont do that now".

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This letter to me (and i could be wrong) seems to be a "Hey, We see you and your interests with China, Blizzard. Get on the right team" from the united states government.

Edit: And after thinking about it, What are they gonna do? The republican ran US government has been a shitshow. They arent gonna do a damn thing against blizzard except slap them on the hand and say "dont do that now".
Which is why we cant let republicans win the pres election next year

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Well 2 of the 5 are Republicans co-signers of the letter, probably could bi-partisan support if they really pushed for it.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Magic: The Gathering Pro Uses Victory To Spotlight Hong Kong, Is Not Banned

Kotaku turning the heat up a bit, and other companies leveraging the bad PR to their advantage.
I was about to post about Lee Shi Tian.

Haha, I also just made a thread for it just in case people wanted to discuss just that part and also continue to put HK stories in the spotlight.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wi...upport-at-magic-mythic-championship-v.148312/

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Related, but I thought I read that someone was considering doing a Kickstarter or fundraiser to make and distribute a bunch of "Free Hong Kong" Mei shirts at Blizzcon. Anybody know if that moved forward? I'd like to contribute.
6288675_0.jpg

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
It's really frustrating that the language we use surrounding this issue is referring to it as an "impossible choice", as if this situation isn't a direct result of hundreds of choices that Blizzard has made leading up to this moment. It alleviates Blizzard of the responsibility they have for putting themselves in this predicament and circumvents the reality that many large video game developers have somehow avoided ending up in this scenario.

Referring to choices between money and morality as "impossible" is capitalism's equivalent of "boys will be boys" and it needs to stop.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Holy shit the play hearthstone stream live stream chat is FULL of people saying things in support of Hong Kong or criticizing China. This really isnt dying down. I'm genuinely surprised.

www.twitch.tv

PlayHearthstone - Twitch

The official Hearthstone Twitch channel! Find out more at www.PlayHearthstone.com

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Racist Commentary; Prior Severe Ban for Excusing Bigotry
"Impossible choice"

No. It is not an impossible choice.

Painful, possibly. But it is perfectly possible to do the only decent thing.
I love how internet armchair experts are all "they can easily pull all of their business out of china" when all of their competition is balls deep in kung pao.