• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anR9qK1.jpg

OorsdPo.png

IQa8Zzk.jpg

Bu that's nationalism. Nationalism is OK on sports.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So the apology was basically lets focus on games and not politics.

So blizzard will use politics and social issues when it supports their image and bottom line. But the moment it gets complicated for them its back to "but meh vide0 gamez" lets just focus on muh video games.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why were Riot celebrating Pride month if these sensitive subjects have no place in esports?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic damage control by a trash company. They knew exactly what they were doing and it was bending the knee and licking boots for one of the most evil governments in the world. Fuck Blizzard and the Chinese Government. Still not buying D4 even though I put countless hours into 1, 2 and 3.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, was this posted?

IGN was able to independently translate the statement from Blizzard's official Hearthstone Weibo account which reads:
"We express our strong indignation [or resentment] and condemnation of the events that occurred in the Hearthstone Asia Pacific competition last weekend and absolutely oppose the dissemination of personal political ideas during any events [or games]. The players involved will be banned, and the commentators involved will be immediately terminated from any official business. Also, we will protect [or safeguard] our national dignity [or honor]."

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin

On one hand, I get this from League. It's a sporting event, and it's not like League is the NFL where they court the jingoistic stuff. To my knowledge, they and most other esports leagues have veered away from any forms of patriotism or political messages.

On the other hand, I don't think we should even be doing as much business as we are with a country like China that represses, jails, and kills so many of it's people in the regular.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 days): trolling, whataboutism
On one hand, I get this from League. It's a sporting event, and it's not like League is the NFL where they court the jingoistic stuff. To my knowledge, they and most other esports leagues have veered away from any forms of patriotism or political messages.

On the other hand, I don't think we should even be doing as much business as we are with a country like China that represses, jails, and kills so many of it's people in the regular.
Hey did you ever hear the story of the American Prison Industrial Complex?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that whataboutism is a poor argument, but it does point out hypocrisies and double standards. No?

(I'm not super adept at this type of argumentation, so please don't eviscerate me. I'm honestly asking)

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I agree that whataboutism is a poor argument, but it does point out hypocrisies and double standards. No?

(I'm not super adept at this type of argumentation, so please don't eviscerate me. I'm honestly asking)

No.

Longer answer: its aim is to muddle the discussion with relativism, "both sides" approach and overall try to make it seem like it's pointless to fight any specific example of a wider problem until you're able to magically solve the problem globally, which, of course, will never happen.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

Only if they are both happening at the same time. Otherwise it's just a lazy way of saying "this doesn't really matter".
If both are happening concurrently it can be a valid point. But only in the sense that it makes the other side evil too. Never in a manner that makes the actions ok.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It would only really be whataboutism if I was excusing oppression in China, because there is also oppression in America. Actually I think both are bad.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This been posted yet?

Thank you for your attention in the past one week, this is a personal statement and my view on Blizzard's latest decision. First of all, I'm grateful for Blizzard reconsidering their position about my ban. Earlier this week, I told media that I knew I might have penalty or consequence for my act, because I understand that my act could take the conversation away from the purpose of the event. In the future, I will be more careful on that and express my opinions or show my support to Hong Kong on my personal platforms.

Many people has been asking me if I accept the latest decision of Blizzard, I will discuss that on two parts. Tournament prizing and suspension. For tournament prizing, I quoted what Blizzard said on the official website, they mention that I played fair in the tournament and they believe I should receive my prizing. This is the part I really appreciate, Blizzard also said they understand for some this is not about the prize, but perhaps for others it is disrespectful to even discuss it. People from Blizzard had explained this to me through a phone call and I really appreciate that and I accept their decision on this part.

For second part about the suspension, Blizzard had changed their suspension on me from a year to six months. Once again, I appreciate for their reconsideration on this. To be honest, I think six months is still quite a lot to me. But I also being told that I can continue to compete in the hearthstone pro circuit which they mean the grandmaster tournament. I appreciate for this decision they made because grandmaster is currently the highest level tournament in competitive hearthstone. However, I wish Blizzard can reconsider about their penalty on the two casters involved.

Lastly, many people wants to know if i would be competing in hearthstone in the future. Honestly, I have no idea on that yet. Since my next tournament is very likely to be the grandmaster tournament of next season, it's probably at least a few months from now on. I will take this time to relax myself to decide if I am staying in competitive hearthstone scene or not.

Hearthstone changed my the way I live, I really love this community. Blessing to all the players out there, and blessing to Blizzard.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Good, classy response. Some people will have a problem that he isn't more outraged probably, or wish he didn't accept the money. Really tough decision.

No one will be angry at anything he does. He was braver than any of us just buy starting all of this. Blizzard is the embarrassment and the one to be angry at.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Vary classy response yes.
Also, it's good that Blizzard had a phone call with him to discuss the problem. I assume they reached a partial agreement considering the rest of the text.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Blitchung seems like an amazing person at least. Very good response overall.
He most certainly should take the money. It was his money to begin with, and one of the biggest mistakes Blizzard did in this, was taking his money away. It is one thing to penalize someone by not allowing them to participate in future events. Taking away something they already earned is just extremely bad style.

Wish he had called out the penalty for the casters a bit more. They really should not have been penalized at all.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
OK sorry America Good China Bad.
As bad as US is, in particular at this very moment in history where it seems like US democracy is pushed to the brink by things like corruption and inhumane treatment of children, it surely pales compared to China committing genocide. Heck, even what happens in Hong Kong is nothing compared to that.
Hong Kong just happens to get the attention right now, and that is fine. We should be happy that some of the many terrible events in the world is getting some of the attention it deserves, rather than cry that it is unfair - even if it actually is.

Liha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Salzburg, Austria
International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Avery Brundage deemed it to be a domestic political statement unfit for the apolitical, international forum the Olympic Games were intended to be. In response to their actions, he ordered Smith and Carlos suspended from the US team and banned from the Olympic Village. When the US Olympic Committee refused, Brundage threatened to ban the entire US track team. This threat led to the expulsion of the two athletes from the Games.[11]

Blizz reacted the same way at first LMAO.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Riot Games' situation different in that they are literally 100% owned by a Chinese company? Blizzard made a choice, Riot has no choice besides massive quitting.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it isn't bad to target political stances. What I'm saying is that no matter the company or their political orientation it is understandable that they would strive to keep their events free of controversy, especially current, volatile topics. There are obviously certain things that would be more accepted than others(global warming talk, etc). This one is obviously one to stay away from, and issueing a ban isn't opposing the player's views, and I don't see blizzard pushing opposing propaganda in general.

If someone spoke of the horrors of the Nazi's etc. during their interview and were banned, I wouldn't necessarily see that as the event hosts supporting Nazism.

Consider this.

1. Nazis are a political group. Any statement made about Nazis involves politics by intrinsically.
2. Of any political group, Nazis are the most universally demonized. "Nazis are bad" is not typically a controversial statement.
3. Saying that Nazis committed atrocities is a statement of fact, saying otherwise is historical revisionism.

Again, they could have plausibly had other rules in place. Like maybe they have something against violent or grotesque speech, like specific descriptions of violence by the Nazis could be viewed as inappropriate.

However, when the rule is no political talk, the issue comes up again that you're always going to be enforcing it selectively. If "Nazis committed the Holocaust", which is a straightforward statement of fact and not particularly grotesque in and of itself, is bannable, then you're validating the opinions of historical revisionists by painting the statement as just an inflammatory opinion.

The fact that the issue is in reality remarkably uncontroversial - the actual lie that people were fed was that regular Germans didn't know about it at the time; the evidence was always so abundant that no legitimate actor would deny it - puts a spotlight on Blizzard's decision to treat it as if it was.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Weird how you're allowed to perform public fellatio of a nation all you want, but the moment someone says "no thanks" to the part where you're celebrating that nation that celebrates killing escaped slaves it becomes a controversy.

Almost like organizers pick and choose what political statements are tolerated and which are enforceable and which aren't based on agendas.

Last edited:

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
As bad as US is, in particular at this very moment in history where it seems like US democracy is pushed to the brink by things like corruption and inhumane treatment of children, it surely pales compared to China committing genocide. Heck, even what happens in Hong Kong is nothing compared to that.
Hong Kong just happens to get the attention right now, and that is fine. We should be happy that some of the many terrible events in the world is getting some of the attention it deserves, rather than cry that it is unfair - even if it actually is.
The US is actively committing genocide. Let's be clear about that.

Oct 28, 2017

Fun fact: there are parallels between the treatment of the third place finisher, Australian runner Peter Norman and the present situation. It's a common myth that Norman was opposed to the BP salute when he was a staunch supporter and suggested the black gloves.

Norman was rejected for the following Olympic games and shunned by the Australian Olympic Committee, allegedly, all the way up until the year 2000 - effectively killing his professional athletic career. It was only after his death that the Australian parliament formally apologised for his treatment in 2012.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Hey did you ever hear the story of the American Prison Industrial Complex?

Yeah and it's a privilege we all have that we can know about this issue and call it out, directly to the government. People aren't saying that America is free of issues but we have the ability to actually talk about them here. And companies could call it out and many have and they wouldn't be punished by the government. And if they were they could sue in court and they would probably win.

Why are we talking about the US in here
To disingenuously deflect from the issue at hand.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: there are parallels between the treatment of the third place finisher, Australian runner Peter Norman and the present situation. It's a common myth that Norman was opposed to the BP salute when he was a staunch supporter and suggested the black gloves.

Norman was rejected for the following Olympic games and shunned by the Australian Olympic Committee, allegedly, all the way up until the year 2000 - effectively killing his professional athletic career. It was only after his death that the Australian parliament formally apologised for his treatment in 2012.
I knew he supported the salute, but I never new what happened to him afterwards. Fuck. :(

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
You know what's truly fucked up about this statement? It's the 6 months thing. Why 6 months? They just halved the initial fucking punishment. If the initial punishment was like 2 years, would they have reduce it to 1 year (by halving it), or 6 months still?

This shit is just hurting my brain. It's like they're treating it as a game balance in a patch notes. Something too OP, half it. Fuck for sake.