• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. Oh fucking no
You guys need to read the rest of the tweets

It sounds like conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if the update is structured/posted by someone who know both languages, it seems to be targeting asia, and only available in chinese/english/korean (need confirmation, but I can't find the page in other languages?), and they mostly kept the sentence structure, I mean the traditional chinese page have each paragraph posted in both languages side by side for whatever reason :P

CE7qQbu.jpg

https://news.blizzard.com/zh-tw/blizzard/23185888/關於上周的《爐石戰記》大師職業賽事件

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Support for the LGBT community constitutes a mild political statement here, but it's extremely divisive in China and Russia. I don't think you can downplay that.

Is pretty much fluff, while political those visibility acts for the lgbtq is not attacking directly China and Russia goverment anti-lgbtq laws, if someone came and said "Fuck Putin for opressing the lgbtq community!"...I would say it would be much different and they would probably act like in this case.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe what any publisher says nowadays. That's the world I've been forced to live in now. This response is even below that. Fuck Blizzard. Finally caving in after all this time to grovel and fake their sympathy because their precious profits will take a hit. I hope people band together and do not support them.

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Sounds good. If a player espoused a pro trump message and shouted MAGA! I would want them banned as well. There's no place for political statements in a game tournament.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if the update is structured/posted by someone who know both languages, it seems to be targeting asia, and only available in chinese/english/korean (need confirmation, but I can't find the page in other languages?), and they mostly kept the sentence structure, I mean the traditional chinese page have each paragraph posted in both languages side by side for whatever reason :P

CE7qQbu.jpg

https://news.blizzard.com/zh-tw/blizzard/23185888/關於上周的《爐石戰記》大師職業賽事件
also the date was for Asian time zones

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I mean I know they can't just say " put Chinese investors made us do it" but the long winded excuse just makes it worse imo

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that Blizzard-China also literally stated "We will always respect and defend the pride of our country"

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This is the exact sort of carefully crafted lawyer vomit we all knew they were gonna come out with. If anything, it makes the situation worse lmfao. Spineless bastards

Just a reminder that Blizzard-China also literally stated "We will always respect and defend the pride of our country"

People should be shouting this from the rooftops.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope Blizzcon is a mess of epic proportions at this point. This is so fucking embarassing. People better make them pay for the shit they are trying to pull (and now sweeping under the rug with this joke of a statement) at Blizzcon. Make them regret it.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh... they should remove the suspension entirely, for both the player and the casters.
Not necessarily because they should never be able to penalize people for political views on their streams - certainly companies want to have certain rules on how you can act on their platforms - the issue here was the extreme reaction to the rules being breached (obviously because it was about China).
But if you as a company completely misshandles a situation, and then change your decision after being pressured, the entire "case" should fall. Remove the suspension, give the player and casters a warning, and that is about it.

Alwaystriumph

Nov 1, 2017
In the statement it is said that "we want to make it about the event". What they are saying is we don't want your opinions on what is going on in HK. But conversely shutting out any comments on that issue favors the Chinese gov't. Because no speech is still speech. In this case Blizzard is supporting the Chinese gov't and their actions. Ultimately, when statements of this nature are silenced, that is your policy and you hide behind "it's all about the event".

Truly heinous and is only outdone by their own cowardice. Enjoy the Chinese market you've lost the western market and your soul.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I read it again this morning. It's a very cold response. The repeated slogans are like automation to soften the tone. It actually sounds like the persons writing it were angry.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
This reasoning is BS because if he had made a pro China statement, none of this would have happened.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
Political statements are an incredibly vague category; there is no way to enforce it without selectively choosing to attack particular unwelcome opinions. Especially for vulnerable groups...

--Snip

Of course it isn't bad to target political stances. What I'm saying is that no matter the company or their political orientation it is understandable that they would strive to keep their events free of controversy, especially current, volatile topics. There are obviously certain things that would be more accepted than others(global warming talk, etc). This one is obviously one to stay away from, and issueing a ban isn't opposing the player's views, and I don't see blizzard pushing opposing propaganda in general.

If someone spoke of the horrors of the Nazi's etc. during their interview and were banned, I wouldn't necessarily see that as the event hosts supporting Nazism.

Can you remember them ever doing anything substantive during the height of GamerGate?

Fair point, but a hands-off approach is typical for people playing games isn't it? Most companies fail to do anything about online abuse. Had they broadcast a tournament interview and the winner openly insulted people and supported gamergate during it, I can't imagine they'd ignore it.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Of course it isn't bad to target political stances. What I'm saying is that no matter the company or their political orientation it is understandable that they would strive to keep their events free of controversy, especially current, volatile topics. There are obviously certain things that would be more accepted than others(global warming talk, etc). This one is obviously one to stay away from, and issueing a ban isn't opposing the player's views, and I don't see blizzard pushing opposing propaganda in general.

If someone spoke of the horrors of the Nazi's etc. during their interview and were banned, I wouldn't necessarily see that as the event hosts supporting Nazism.

Fair point, but a hands-off approach is typical for people playing games isn't it? Most companies fail to do anything about online abuse. Had they broadcast a tournament interview and the winner openly insulted people and supported gamergate during it, I can't imagine they'd ignore it.
The idea that you can silence, ban and punish someone financially for expressing their views whilst somehow not actually being against those views is ridiculous.

Maybe you're appealing to some kind of idea of what they really think, but their deep down, personal feelings don't mean shit. Their actions do.

They are silencing political criticism of China. I'm not sure how they could be supporting the regime more without moving into physically harming people.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually assume people are flat-out lying in these kinds of statements (versus just mealy-mouthed, hedged language) but "this had nothing to do with our relationships in China" is just so clearly a false statement. Like how naive do you have to be to believe that?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They dropped this at close of business on a Friday? Lol fuck off cowards.