• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, quite possibly. I didn't say it wouldn't be stupid :p

Maybe they can add "No filming" signs/rules, or they could just not give a fuck about that part, honestly. As long as they did everything to keep the official material clean and China-free, they might just call it a win. Really curious how all this will play out.

Yep, me too. Can't wait really.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy he got his prize money back.

That's the only positive thing I can say about that garbage PR word salad

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Glad he's at least getting his money, but that's really not enough. They'll have fun at Blizzcon now, I guess. They deserve being called out.

ajl19

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that the casters are still being punished via a 6 month ban is pure bullshit. Regardless of whether they knew what Blitzchung was going to say beforehand, they ultimately had no control over his actions.

I think its pretty clear that the initial termination of the casters was dictated by Blizzard China (i.e., Netease) and Blizzard US is too chickenshit to walk that all the way back, even though there is no reasonable justification for it.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The commentators have 0 control over what blitzchung said, if they were serious about this not having anything to do with China, they'd completely wipe the suspension of the casters.

And 6 months? That's such a bullshit response, people get shorter bans from WoW and their forums for being homophobic pieces of trash.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Do they really expect people to believe that if someone talking about LGBT rights or anti-gun violence or would've been banned and had their money removed? Really? They think we're that dumb?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Actually this is hollow bullshit through and through, if ti didn't have to do with politics, why didn't the college team also get a 6 month ban for saying Free Hong Kong?

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
aa0.png

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
"We love China's money but if you guys catch us doing oppressive things we'll act like we don't to save our precious western money too"

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"We are a great company, a good company, we think every kind of opinion is important. But shut up during our tournaments. #NotBecauseChina #AlsoBecauseOtherRegimes #Money"

They are basically taking the same stance as the Olympic Committee. A bit predictable PR response if you ask me. I hope people don't forget till BlizzCon and voice up there too e.g. during the Q&A.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
What a non-apology. It took them that long to release a statement about nothing? In the end they just slightly tweaked the punishment and that's it... just wow.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"We are a great company, a good company, we think every kind of opinion is important. But shut up during our tournaments. #NotBecauseChina #AlsoBecauseOtherRegimes #Money"

They are basically taking the same stance as the Olympic Committee. A bit predictable PR response if you ask me. I hope people don't forget till BlizzCon and voice up there too e.g. during the Q&A.
After last year's shitshow I'm not so sure they even will have a Q&A.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
If this had been the opposing viewpoint delivered in the same divisive and deliberate way, we would have felt and acted the same.
That's what stood out to me.
The only ones who could see Blitzchungs message as 'divisive' are their Chinese overlords.
With this attempt of damage control Blizzard once more made it perfectly clear where their priorities lie.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
Do they really expect people to believe that if someone talking about LGBT rights or anti-gun violence or would've been banned and had their money removed? Really? They think we're that dumb?
This is what I don't get. I'd love to see someone call them out on that and force them to put out a response. Like they're going to ban someone for 6 months because they said something pro LGBT rights.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
The pressure got to them faster than i thought, but whoever thought this would fix things lol. They aren't reversing their decision, just giving the appearance of doing so. The punishment still stands even if they reduced the sentence.

I was so ready to forgive them... but not like this. They're trying to please both sides with this. And the statement is a joke too yeah.

ajl19

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I don't get. I'd love to see someone call them out on that and force them to put out a response. Like they're going to ban someone for 6 months because they said something pro LGBT rights.
I bet someone will try to force their hand on this in the not too distant future. And of course Blizzard will do nothing.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Oh look, a weekend statement!

Fuck you, Blizzard. This is a seriously shitty statement, posted at the shittiest time of the week. Definitely not buying a Blizzcon ticket now. I'll tune in for the free section and expect 100% of attendees to wear red shirts. I expect every Q&A to be about the rights to free speech. I refuse to buy any of their games until they get this right, even Diablo 4 (and I love me some Diablo). Plenty of competitors with better values to buy from.

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah... there was only one thing you could have done and that was to rescind the punishments for all parties, apologize profusely and gracefully accept and understand if the affected parties told you to fuck off and want nothing to do with you.

This... just shows that you have no actual values but the pressure got big enough that you thought it might affect the one thing you do actually care about: money.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Very.

And as you'll see at Blizzcon, people will forget very quickly. I'm sad to see the actual impact of this will be minimal.

This is the issue, things like this last for about a week on the internet before people move on to the next thing, Blizzard put out this "apology" and these companies know that there is always something new around the corner that grabs peoples attention, Blizzard should be getting even more heat now than before but I can't see that happening sadly, it will likely all blow over and be forgotten about.

Also, people are very forgiving when it comes to corporations and companies that sell things they like, it's incredibly sad to see how much influence these companies have over people and their moral standards.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Would be interesting to witness a pro player say '' gay rights, black lives matter, free Hong Kong, trans rights!! '' and see how Blizzard deals with that.

As long as it doesn't happen on a stream that's broadcasted in China, they'll be fine with it. American University weren't banned for their pro Hong Kong message, and that's most likely because it happened on an American stream.