• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
So the account deletion is possible again?
I want mine gone. They have nothing for me now that Bungie did the right thing and bailed

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Account deletion stilll asks me for a photo ID and their taiwan traditional chinese page is completely down on my end.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
But playing fair also includes appropriate pre-and post-match conduct, especially when a player accepts recognition for winning in a broadcast. When we think about the suspension, six months for blitzchung is more appropriate, after which time he can compete in the Hearthstone pro circuit again if he so chooses. There is a consequence for taking the conversation away from the purpose of the event and disrupting or derailing the broadcast.

"Sorry, not sorry" really isn't what people were wanting to hear from you, Blizzard.

You had better hope the Chinese pick up a lot of the slack for you going forward, because you've lost everyone else, especially smaller countries in the Asian subcontinent who absolutely despise China's influence.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea no. The damage is done at this point and I'm done with them and their wokeness only when it doesn't affect their profits. I used to be a big fan of them but the company is just a husk of its former self.

Freedom for Hong Kong!

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We were not coerced, we decided we must appease a fascistic government of our own free will", Blizzard says, while the other boot is already halfway in through its mouth
I mean it was of their own free will. There were no legal consequences for them (an American company) from doing nothing in this situation. I'm not even sure China would've banned their games, considering it was just the actions of one player.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it was of their own free will. There were no legal consequences for them (an American company) from doing nothing in this situation. I'm not even sure China would've banned their games, considering it was just the actions of one player.
"We had to do this or lose the Chinese market" would at least be... something, a concrete confession of their real values.

If they actually did this to preemptively suck up to Pooh, holy shit, that's even more pathetic than I imagined.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
This statement sounds like it was the result of a negotiated compromise with the Chinese government. In other words, it's garbage.

Fuck Blizzard. At least Blizzcon should be really interesting this year.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
This statement sounds like it was the result of a negotiated compromise with the Chinese government. In other words, it's garbage.

Fuck Blizzard. At least Blizzcon should be really interesting this year.

Whoever is going to Blizzcon, PLEASE try and get footage of the amount of security at the door now that it's out that the place is gonna be invaded by protestors lol

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah didn't they profusely apologize to China? This "had nothing to do with the content of the message" smells...pretty suspect.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The casters should 100% not have any penalty they had no control over what blitzchungs did in that segment.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This reads more like Blizzard trying to frame a narrative.

When they still get anger they can then say "We tried to appease them but these angry gamers just have no limit!"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Linus tech tips talked about this to my surprised. They handled it about how I expected, they have some glaring blindspots but I don't think they mean any harm

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
When you finally wake up to a statement by them and it's a heap of trash. Yikes.

Good luck keeping all your employees in the next few months. Especially when quite a number of those will likely feel humiliated when they have to deal with angry fans at Blizzcon over the deplorable decisions from you stupidly rich top manager fucks.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
If you remove the Chinese government from the equation, then Blizzard wouldn't have had any political motivation for the ban in the first place. If you remove Blizzard from the equation, there's no ban on their players. It literally doesn't make sense without the two.

Do they usually allow political messaging of any kind on their platforms? I'm sure their rules have something addressing things like this. That's motivation enough for a ban. Their own relationship with China just makes the situation unfortunate, but only potentially hazy as the ban could be(seen as) politically motivated.

I'm not understanding the people saying he shouldn't have been banned at all. Is this solely because they agree with the players' stance on freeing Hong Kong? Blizzard aren't required to provide a platform for anyone's political protests and banning him will discourage others from thinking it's ok to attempt the same through their events. It's not like they're pushing the opposing message, is it?

If you began hosting events intended for entertaining everyone and people involved started using them to push their political views you would exclude them from participating.

Edit: I want to make it clear that I have no interest in stoking the anger here, I've just seen Blizzard's actions as the normal actions of a business, I.e., concerned with profit and business as usual.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm sorry, I have been lurking for a long time and am not aware of the history of the debates here.

I'm not pro-China. I'm from the Philippines, and I definitely have quite a laundry list of grievances with the country.

But I just want ppl to consider that perhaps the framing of "HK = democracy = good" and "China = authoritarian = bad" is insufficiently capturing the conflict, and it's also playing into US imperial interests. Seems like it's not a popular stance here, so I'll be quiet.

Yeah, well, one puts its citizens into concentration camps and harvests their organs, among many other things, but sure, let's go with "both sides" and whataboutism, I guess.

Nov 1, 2017
Of course they wait until Friday for it to not be as covered by the news and to "minimize" the damage. That and a 6 month ban is still huge.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Do they usually allow political messaging of any kind on their platforms? I'm sure their rules have something addressing things like this. That's motivation enough for a ban. Their own relationship with China just makes the situation unfortunate, but only potentially hazy as the ban could be(seen as) politically motivated.

I'm not understanding the people saying he shouldn't have been banned at all. Is this solely because they agree with the players' stance on freeing Hong Kong? Blizzard aren't required to provide a platform for anyone's political protests and banning him will discourage others from thinking it's ok to attempt the same through their events. It's not like they're pushing the opposing message, is it?

If you began hosting events intended for entertaining everyone and people involved started using them to push their political views you would exclude them from participating.
The other issue is that blizz is incredibly incredibly inconsistent with this type of ban and chose not to enforce it when the same thing happened elsewhere which is a major issue in general. If your gonna have a rule enforce the fuck out of it.

Last edited:

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I don't have anything to add other than I'm glad they gave his prize money back but 6 month ban is still absurd. They're not going to get anywhere until they reverse the whole thing.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the account deletion is possible again?
I want mine gone. They have nothing for me now that Bungie did the right thing and bailed
i mean, as soon as something like this happens in destiny 2 bungie will also buckle.
www.theverge.com

Bungie gets $100 million investment from Chinese gaming company NetEase

Expanding beyond Destiny to ‘build new worlds’
but since destiny 2 does not have a competitive scene, this will probably not happen. you are still supporting a chinese company tho.

(before someone gets trigger happy, this is not a defense of blizzard, it's just to show that most companies are partially owned by a chinese one and that one way or the other the CCP has power)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Political statements are an incredibly vague category; there is no way to enforce it without selectively choosing to attack particular unwelcome opinions. Especially for vulnerable groups, their very existence can be a political issue in regions, certainly their rights would be.

On a broader level, you can claim damn near anything to be political. Someone just saying they're from a country is giving legitimacy to that state (there are a number of countries out there that people deny exist!), and possibly pushing for people to define themselves according to the government they're citizens of as opposed to all of the other ways that people can use to define their identity.

So, even if that's the rule, the fact that Blizzard chose to enforce it now makes a statement about their ulterior motives simply because it's what they decided what political.

It isn't bad to target specific political stances. Nazism is a political movement. Fuck that shit. I'll be happy if that's banned. But you don't ban it because it's political, you ban it because it's an ideology that espouses the abuse of vulnerable groups and allowing that ideology would allow support for that abuse.

Last edited:

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that Blizzard China enforced the rules. If the rules are the rules and they aren't meant to be political, then I see this as an unfortunate circumstance.

The problem is that Blizzard China piped in and talked about defending the pride of their country, making the punishment inherently political. Whoever made that statement also needs to be held accountable.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Protests are working. This is Blizzard trying to test the water about how far they have to walk things back without taking their mouth off Chinas ass before people go back to shutting up.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh, okay. Blizzard didn't just cower before tyranny, it's actually consistent with their values.

Better clear up those misunderstandings about Chinese influence and tighten up your policies, that's the REAL problem here.

Cowardly lickspittles.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good he got his cash. Blizzard can go fuck themselves. He didn't do anything wrong and instead you assholes decided to fuck him over just to please China. Fuck right off.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The good news here is that this apology is pitiful enough that I have no desire to go back to Blizzard games. The bad news I can see many other companies folding just as poorly as displayed here

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Close to Blizzcon as well where they're supposed to bring people together. Wtf were they thinking?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Good he got his cash. Blizzard can go fuck themselves. He didn't do anything wrong and instead you assholes decided to fuck him over just to please China. Fuck right off.

There is a section of the statement after the 6 month ban announcement that they make it clear he is "welcome back into the pro circuit if and when he wishes."

I hope he publicly tells them to get fucked personally. Use this story to spin up some support behind another game like Hearthstone for people to get behind. Maybe even get the devs of said game to do some sort of promo in support of Hong Kong just to really twist the dagger.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm sorry, I have been lurking for a long time and am not aware of the history of the debates here.

I'm not pro-China. I'm from the Philippines, and I definitely have quite a laundry list of grievances with the country.

But I just want ppl to consider that perhaps the framing of "HK = democracy = good" and "China = authoritarian = bad" is insufficiently capturing the conflict, and it's also playing into US imperial interests. Seems like it's not a popular stance here, so I'll be quiet.
Isn't it interesting how people who always say that we shouldn't paint all of China in a bad way and that we shouldn't make it a 2 sides thing always bring in the US and imperialism/something we did wrong in the past as a whataboutism?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
"One of our goals at Blizzard is to make sure that every player, everywhere in the world, regardless of political views, religious beliefs, race, gender, or any other consideration always feels safe and welcome both competing in and playing our games."

Political views = free HK/fuck the nazi 🤔

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Man Blizzard used to be the top of everyone's "best developer" list a few years back and even though I never played anything from them, I agree from just looking at their catalogue of games.

But right now, they are at the bottom of the gaming industry in everyone's eyes.

Oct 26, 2017
6 month suspension is 6 months too long. Free Hong Kong.

What are they telling their chinese customers? Probably something completely difference.

One of our goals at Blizzard is to make sure that every player, everywhere in the world, regardless of political views, religious beliefs, race, gender, or any other consideration always feels safe and welcome both competing in and playing our games.

At Blizzard, we are always listening and finding ways to improve—it is part of our culture. Thank you for your patience with us as we continue to learn.

What a fucking joke lol. Blizzard is done.

Last edited:

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
There is a section of the statement after the 6 month ban announcement that they make it clear he is "welcome back into the pro circuit if and when he wishes."

I hope he publicly tells them to get fucked personally. Use this story to spin up some support behind another game like Hearthstone for people to get behind.

While I personally think Blitzchung will never return to Hearthstone, he did post this:

https://twitter.com/blitzchungHS/status/1182883648313253888

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it interesting how people who always say that we shouldn't paint all of China in a bad way and that we shouldn't make it a 2 sides thing always bring in the US and imperialism/something we did wrong in the past as a whataboutism?
It's relevant on subjects where US Imperialism/interventionism actually had a role in creating the bad situation. China is not one of those situations, US has very little responsibility for the current Chinese government and it's abhorrent practices.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm not sure about the 'China actually wrote all of this' theory, but I'm 100% on board with this being a bad statement. Really curious if they will actually do Q&A sections at Blizzcon at this point.

Also, regardless of Blitzchungs' situation: If Blizzard keeps the casters' status as is - fired immediately - they still absolutely have what they really wanted out of this. No other shoutcaster who likes to get paid will ever allow this talk from now on and will instantly cut off anyone who's even trying to bring it into an interview. Which also means, no one will blame Blizzard/China for this when it happens, only the casters who shut down an interview.

edit I didn't see the casters' penalty also went to "only" half a year. Still, this is simply using fear tactics against future casters/players alltogether.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Basically the whole of that Blizzard statement was "keep politics out of our games". It's basically keeping China happy whilst trying to also pander to the right as well.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Did they already forget that the world realized their Western response is nothing but smoke and mirrors, and it has been globally established their statements to the Chinese Government is considered to be the true ones.

Nothing in the Western statement is addressing the rage Blizzard expressed against the Blitzchung and casters, and also not addressing the fact they proudly announced that Blizzard would do anything to uphold the dignity of China.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Blizzcon will be really interesting 6 after last year (mobile Diablo) and this, I can't see them do any open mike q&a anywhere.

If they do, it will be amazing!

That said, fuck em. After years and years of slowly losing me as a player, this is the finals straw to put them in my EA corner.
I have enough to play as is and my memories of playing Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 will always be one of my best game experiences.

They have a lot of work in front of them of they want to come back from this.