• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
"The specific views expressed by blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision."

Right, that's why you gave Blitz a one hear suspension and fucked him over financially while American University got nothing of the sorts. "We will always respect and defend the honor of our country" huh, Blizz?

Fucking hypocritical, lying pieces of shit.

Exactly. If it was purely about "no off topic messages during official broadcasts" then why did they ignore what the American University team did? Why did they have tor emove themselves in protest when Blizzard just ignored them for doing the same thing blitzchung did?

Oh? Because they were on an American focussed broadcast and China was less likely to care? So you did it because of china then? So his views WERE a factor?

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
While I thought the initial punishment was severe, I can somewhat understand their awkwards position. But this holier-than-thou response is infuriating.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
"had nothing to do with china"

What a LOAD of bullshit.

This is was Activision-Blizzard thinks of it´s fans. They think that they´re absolute imbeciles that will gobble up any statement that they shit out. If you´re a fan you should actually be offended by this, with how little they think of you.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
i-expect-nothing-57b1f9bb09e50.jpeg

veras

Oct 27, 2017
"Dear idiots who think we're not upholding our values, here is a laborious and incoherent mess explaining why you're wrong with a token gesture"

The stuff about China is such a bald-faced lie it belies belief - as if they would have done anything nearly as fast or severe if it had been, e.g. someone wearing a MAGA hat who yelled Trump 2020. Who do they expect to believe that?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It took them 3 days to come up with this weak shit?

Goddamn, Blizzard, you could've at least hired some PR wizards for all those Chinese money.

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't make things right at all. They're still punishing everyone involved and putting them all out of a job for 6 months. This is honestly a pretty terrible statement that ignores the fact that they didn't treat that college team the same way and that Blizzard China directly spoke out about how they're protecting the integrity of China.

Not only that, but they have done absolutely nothing to restore confidence in the company's behaviour and disciplinary processes in such a way that the people who left—whether forced out, like Blitzchung and the Taiwanese casters, or voluntarily like the American University team (or in the short term, casters who have stepped out temporarily like Kibler and ThatsAdmirable)—would even want to come back.

Absolutely clueless. What was at stake wasn't the material cost of the punishment; it was the principle. They'll have to do better than that if they want to wash the stink off their "values".

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it tho? It doesn't even have that appearance to me. There isn't any sort of contrition or acknowledgement of serious fault. In fact it begins by justifying their position and why they feel they were actually right all along, but were simply too hasty in the actual punishments. It's nonsense and doesn't answer any of the actual concerns people have about the incident.
"We're sorry you felt that way."

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The specific views expressed by blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision.

A lie and not a believable one, even if it had not already been contradicted by Blizzard's own statements and previous actions. I encourage players and casters to continue to test Blizzard's new-found no-politics stance which they had not cared to clearly codify in the rules and show them up as the unprincipled wimps they are.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I'm happy about is that they awarded his prize money. He earned that.

It was bad enough reading the first third of that letter because it was extremely tone deaf. But after that when they emphasized China had nothing to do with it is a straight up lie through obfusccation. They are trying to frame that point as if China didn't directly try to coerce them. That's plainly obvious with the speed at which the VOD was deleted, and the announcement made where Blizcheung was fired. It was clear that the Blizzard team in China was being proactive and that's not what anyone is seriously arguing about when they say Blizzard or any company is being influenced by China. They have to understand this but are willfully replying in a manner that tries to dismiss what we are actually saying.

This response only increased the chance my 1 year boycott becomes permanent.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly were people expecting?

An unban and mea culpa. Instead they are keeping half the ban there and still asserting that they acted apolitically when clearly they didn't. Companies slow walk moderation of their shitty toxic communities all time and as soon as someone says something that threatens the bottom line then they crack down fucking hard.

It's a joke

Nov 1, 2017
Look at the exact time they put this out.

After 8 PM on a Friday, a famous tactic to try and bury issues when faced with backlash or bad news during a week.

I saw people earlier claiming they would do this as a laugh, only Bliz actually did.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
That's a really bad statement, almost impressively so.

I guess it's not exactly surprising though, given the timing of it.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to make themselves look better by reducing the punishment. No surprise.

Literally doesn't change the actual problem of the situation that he should have never been punished that harshly in the first place, and even less the damn casters fired as well. The problem is the extent of the punishment given that was clearly not simply for saying something political but for the specific things he said and they can say it wasn't because of China as much as they want. It obviously was

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Possibly one of the worst statements by such a huge company. It really is fucking horrible. Especially since they waited this long to craft this statement.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Cool, they're doubling down and then lying now.

A half-assed non-apology would've been better.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I hope this half-assed "let's meet everyone half way" attitude backfires on them and they get heat from China and from those here at home. Liberate Hong Kong.