• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This sucks, but you have to keep in mind it's the politicians who write the tax laws that make this possible. So that's who the anger should really be directed at.

This is a Trumpism. These corporations pay money to lobby the politicians to change the tax laws.

"I just take advantage of it to pay almost no taxes, blame the laws not me!" Nah it's both.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I'm not sure about you, but when I do my taxes I try to pay as little as legally possible.

If I was running a business, I'd try to do the same.

If we expect corporations to pay more taxes, we need to change the laws that require them to do so. They're not just going to pay more tax out of the goodness of their hearts.
One of our two political parties is vehemently opposed to doing so, and campaigns every 2/4/6 years on "Raising taxes kills jobs!" While fundamentally ignoring how these big companies actually spend their tax cuts/write offs.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
If you're a public company that's not abusing the tax code as its written, you're not doing right by your shareholders.

Change the tax code, eliminate the loop holes, force business to play their fair share.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Its not right, but you cant blame Blizzard for finding loopholes and using them to make more profit, i mean what would you expect management to do? Yo, so we can pay millions in taxes, or we do this which is completely legal and pay nothing ...

Blame your politicians and government. You would all do the same.

Jun 26, 2018
I've seen this before, and I think you miss my point especially when I literally criticised capitalism in the same post. I don't understand the extreme stance of 'fuck capitalism outright' from people who actively participate and in many cases benefit from a capitalism socioeconomically.

To me, the system as it has serious, serious problems, but I don't see why it's completely, unequivocally bad because (relative) freedom of capital is in theory a good thing. So, rather than posting that tired comic strip like a smart ass, consider that I'm genuinely questioning the idea of capitalism being an outright bad thing, not the fact that people (rightfully) criticse it.

If you understand that the system has "serious, serious problems" and why people might rightfully criticize capitalism, then it shouldn't be a major leap to understand why someone might say "Fuck Capitalism", especially in a thread about a major corporation exploiting the law to avoid paying taxes.

If that's not enough of an answer, then maybe consider the fact that it is possible to directly benefit from a system you find deplorable and want changed, and that there is nothing strange about that.

Also "actively" participating is a bit funny to me, I wasn't aware that we get a choice?

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
This disgusts me on so many fucking levels.

Fuck the rich and the garbage systems they abuse to exploit everyone.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Its not right, but you cant blame Blizzard for finding loopholes and using them to make more profit, i mean what would you expect management to do? Yo, so we can pay millions in taxes, or we do this which is completely legal and pay nothing ...

Glad you agree with this person. Seriously I can blame Blizzard for paying less taxes than I do. That is not how a civilized society works. I would not do the same sorry.

If you're a public company that's not abusing the tax code as its written, you're not doing right by your shareholders.

Change the tax code, eliminate the loop holes, force business to play their fair share.

I guess fuck the shareholders too then? They aren't more important than the majority of the American people who are getting screwed by this.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because every company does this does not mean that they shouldn't be shamed for it. It's disgusting, they take so much and don't give anything back to the community.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Yall are saying you cant blame them for exploiting a broken system

How about blaming them for directly influencing it to remain broken then

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just figured its like this for every major corporation.

This only works if you put your "HQ" somewhere in a tax haven like the Rotterdam based ATVI CV.

https://thecorrespondent.com/6942/bermuda-guess-again-turns-out-holland-is-the-tax-haven-of-choice-for-us-companies/417639737658-b85252de said:
That's how ATVI CV, a company with no employees whose management lives in Bermuda, was able to receive some €4.3 billion in royalties and turn a profit of €2.3 billion between 2009 and 2014. Profits on which Activision paid precisely zero in tax. (For comparison: a Dutch games company pays the standard 25.5% Dutch tax rate on profits.) Ironically, during that same five-year period Activision US wrote off another €141 million in tax for its R&D expenses. For games that – on paper – are "R&D'd" by a Dutch company.

All this is possible because the American and Dutch tax authorities see two different things when they look at a CV. The Dutch IRS says: that CV owes tax in the United States. The American IRS says: that CV owes tax in the Netherlands. The result: the company occupies a fiscal no-man's-land. It doesn't pay tax anywhere.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

But we need a very wealthy corporation to vote with money to influence our so called representatives to change this code. And this moral corporation will have to fight against the other corporations who will fight with their money against that goal. Darn Citizens United, it made such a mess, allowing these companies to openly bribe politicians with a lot of money, and even without it billionaire individuals like the Koch brothers, Bill Gates, Mr Facebook, etc. would donate for their own agendas. Money and politics.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix released an entertaining Soderbergh movie about this type of stuff called The Laundromat. I recommend giving it a watch.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno. Its just crazy to me that companies be making billions upon billions of dollars, shit that an average human probably couldnt spend in their lifetime...and yet STILL go to GREAT lengths to find ways to KEEP the money and make MORE money. Like this shit aint gone be buried with you, you know that right?? What exactly is your old ass gonna do with all this money in your remaining lifetime??

Some will probably create generational wealth, but others its just like dawg....you WON already. You got ALL the money. What else do you possibly NEED???

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
And I thought I was lucky last year because I got to deduct my kids for the first time.

middle class gets totally screwed with federal taxes.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
This is a Trumpism. These corporations pay money to lobby the politicians to change the tax laws.

"I just take advantage of it to pay almost no taxes, blame the laws not me!" Nah it's both.
You know what, there's that as well so I stand corrected. The lawmakers are the ones allowing this to happen but the companies spend a lot of money so that the lawmakers do that.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

Difference is, Joe sixpack doesn't own an army of finance gurus and lawyers to bend the laws all over the planet and find loopholes in the deepest corners of the tax code. Joe sixpack doesn't own an army of lobbyists either.

Blame can definitely be put on these corporations too, they would breed children in an underwater colony in the middle of the ocean and lend them their shares till their 18, if that scheme would allow them to safe billions in taxes.

ffmafia

Oct 28, 2017
Wow this thread went liberal quick. You know those tax laws have incentives which benefit the employees? There are some that help 401k plans and such. Without these federal mandates, there would be no incentive to improve employee benefits. Play the corporations that receive these tax loopholes create more jobs by expanding their business with the extra funding. Closing these loopholes are not going to force you the money going to the executives to decrease, it will just come out of the funding for new growth, aka more employees.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Wow this thread went liberal quick. You know those tax laws have incentives which benefit the employees? There are some that help 401k plans and such. Without these federal mandates, there would be no incentive to improve employee benefits. Play the corporations that receive these tax loopholes create more jobs by expanding their business with the extra funding. Closing these loopholes are not going to force you the money going to the executives to decrease, it will just come out of the funding for new growth, aka more employees.
And celebrate their huge tax break they laid off 800 employees in Feb 2019... Yuck!

So........ Which is it? Create jobs or slash jobs?

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Keep drinking the coolaid

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what is your favorite fox news show?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's not what the tax break is used for: https://apnews.com/438fae12f9204b1fbd8e8b1985ae554f

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Oh oh oh can I make tomorrow's "Capitalism Sucks: Video Game Edition" thread? Or is there a queue that I need to sign up for?

really tho pretty much every major company does this bruh. It sucks but if disciplined enough one can take steps to avoid supporting these shitty businesses

Sure, but the bigger issue is that we need to change laws to close loopholes like this.

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017
The system is broken because corporations paid politicians to break it and keep it broken. Don't try to shift blame as if they're just taking advantage of laws that happen to benefit them.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017

good thing the video game industry is renowned for taking care of its workers and giving great benefits.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I think there might've been a Jimquisition episode about this a few months ago. It was some Jim Sterling video at least, for sure. I guess it's a story worth repeating though. They're using the incompatible tax laws of the US and Netherlands to their advantage, as do many other big corporations. It's really unfortunate and unfair that such a thing is lawful.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Man, I wish defending corporations were a bannable offense

Its disgusting that people are willing to ride the megacorp's bullshit

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well... you can make this topic about every company. Dunno why this is a Blizzard topic. Law is law. Better get your shit together and vote for decent politicians. :)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Who do you think lobbies and donates to those politicians so the tax code is written that way?

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't get federal tax laws at all, but can "$0" be the lowest tax amount? This negative taxes is a bit much and it's a lot of dough. Lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.