• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh oh oh can I make tomorrow's "Capitalism Sucks: Video Game Edition" thread? Or is there a queue that I need to sign up for?

really tho pretty much every major company does this bruh. It sucks but if disciplined enough one can take steps to avoid supporting these shitty businesses

The first step is exposure.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
This is so shitty. It's not that businesses should be taxed to death but a fair tax rate should be evenly applied.

Oct 25, 2017
Legal does not mean moral.

Corporations pay off our politicians to make this exact situation perfectly legal.
The law was changed to way it is because people with a fuck ton more money than the american public has are paying lawmakers to write the law that way.
The CEO of Activision Blizzard actively donates to politicians. These politicians turn around and work to keep taxes low and full of loopholes.

If that's "Doing what they are supposed to do", then fuck them.
That's what I'm saying. Change that.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Still, many people will keep supporting them and buying their games. I bet Diablo IV pre-orders are off the charts.

Nov 4, 2017
This is why I laugh at Americans trying to lecture the world on democracy and liberty.

Y'all are just fodder in a corporatocracy.

Edit: like most of the world.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
This is what they are supposed to do. It's not on them. Its on the tax laws that can make this happen. If you're a business owner and you have the opportunity to pay no tax what so ever then you will make use of it. There are probably other reasons for Activision to be called scumbags but it's not this. Laying off employees while you're making record revenue is a bigger sin in my book even though law permits this as well. It's not really an ethical thing to do.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Every big company does this, and every big company needs to dragged over the coals for it while simultaneously urging the government to make changes until it's fixed.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not suggesting the corporations are angels, but ultimately it's congress and the president who signs these things into law, so it's on them.
They are actively engaging in deeply immoral and criminal activity. The corporations are as much to blame as the politicians who are bribed by them.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's what I'm saying. Change that.
Nah you were making excuses for why Blizzard is less in the wrong than the people making the laws. Just because they are "supposed to" take advantage of the system doesn't make it right. They absolutely are part of the problem. Especially when lobbyists have influence on these laws.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that next time Blizzard announce a cute charity donation drive to sell pets and whatnot. #JustPayYourTaxes.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
VOTE

passing huge structural problems to be the responsibility of the individual results in this problem never going away.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I love how we're at the point where half the responses aren't "that is disgusting and this needs to stop," they're "all big corporations do this and it's really unfair for you to single Blizzard out."

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Corporate defense era already hard at work.

It's terrible how there's so much backlash to people just providing facts and education.

that's how US tax laws work, and every single large corporation pays lawyers to explore and exploit loopholes in the tax law.

Extremely uncharitable to label folks pointing this out as 'Corporate defenders'.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The law was changed to way it is because people with a fuck ton more money than the american public has are paying lawmakers to write the law that way.

As far as I know, a political party that represents nearly half the American public is heavily in favor of tax cuts and lenient tax law.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
They are actively engaging in deeply immoral and criminal activity. The corporations are as much to blame as the politicians who are bribed by them.
I also think you're overplaying the bribery angle here. Some of these republicans will do whatever corporations want regardless of what's in it for them.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I love how we're at the point where half the responses aren't "that is disgusting and this needs to stop," they're "all big corporations do this and it's really unfair for you to single Blizzard out."
So the truth is problematic. Then change the laws.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
You know it's just business, of course they'd exploit the loopholes, they have a responsibility to shareholders only.

Also of course the White House exploits the loopholes by gagging its employees and stacking the supreme court, they have a responsibility to the Republicans only.

Right?

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I also think you're overplaying the bribery angle here. Some of these republicans will do whatever corporations want regardless of what's in it for them.
It doesn´t really matter if these corporations bribe every single politician involved or just some and put pressure on them or the entire party by other means. These are Mafia methods and i don´t really see people making excuses for organized crime as much as they do for corporations.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Why single them out? The loopholes have to be used if you're a Corp at that level.
We need to close these loopholes.
as stated, i'm not, all corporations are built on exploitation. this year has been pretty telling for blizzard with the whole china bootlicking though.
me saying blizzard are scum does not single them out any further than any other scummy company, it's just this is a topic about blizzard.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I can't hate the players in this game. They're taking advantage of tax breaks that are available to them. If I had that option as an individual, you bet I would take advantage of them as well.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Record profits, negative tax bill... Massive layoffs.

Very cool. Love it when an economy is good.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
global20distribution20cj0i.png

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I can't hate the players in this game. They're taking advantage of tax breaks that are available to them. If I had that option as an individual, you bet I would take advantage of them as well.
Good to know that you would prefer to fuck over your country/society by contributing to it bleeding to death if you could get away with it.

Oct 30, 2017
There's two separate distinctions here.
They should be trying to maximize share holder value. That's their mandate.

But they more than just players in this game. They participate in the creation of this system.

But nah, this is too much of a defeatist attitude. As if Activision needs "fairness" applied to them.
The perpetuation of this trend exists in part due to any one company being excused from the public in the name of "hate the game, not the player"

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
And they fired a bunch of employees to celebrate.

Capitalism in all it's glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.