• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring it wouldn't have made it go away... But the constant banning is only going to amplify these reactions and make it worse.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Blizzcon is gonna be fun
source.gif

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard got themselves into a Chinese finger trap. The more they try to pull out of this hole the tighter noose gets. You just gotta relax and ease out, let people protest, and you'll be free Blizzard!

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They are going to have to sincerely address it in the opening speech otherwise it's going to be a shit show. People will be bum rushing the stage non stop.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I should start learning Mandarin. Our new overlords are going to require it.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I saw a bunch of people throwing it in Magic's Mythic Championship stream earlier and nobody got banned. Blizzcon will be fun.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
You know whats funny, and this happens a lot, people would completely forget about a sign or a quote or random person talking in chat if Blizzard just ignored it. All of these things just make more and more people talk about the HK/China thing.

There's definitely some truth in this. Whoever is advising or informing their PR policy on this is having an absolute horror show.

Having a rule where contestants are forbidden from making political statements on their platforms and at their events might have been possible were it clearly communicated in the first place. Distancing themselves from a contestants remarks and seeking to appear neutral if they really want that Chinese money may have been possible too. But knee jerking the moment Blitzchung won has kind of left them in a no win scenario. Give the winnings back? Too late, you took it away first. Release an awfully worded statement justifying why you did it in the first place? Not as good as admitting it was pure and simple a PR blunder borne out of tip-toeing around commercial interests and seeking to avoid alienating mainland Chinese investors and customers. Now every subsequent piece of censorship is inherently related to the whole saga, every incident worsens the optics, and - like a snowball effect - it continually draws attention to the thing you're hoping will quietly go away.

Just let people say what they want to say. You can't have a devoted, international fandom and a player base that's supposed to respect and love your work, and at the same time expect to thought police it. Honestly, they should be reviewing their comms, events and social media / online people top to bottom, doling out consequences internally - and letting people say whatever the hell they want. They don't have to broadcast anything they don't want to be associated with, they don't have to promote anything they don't want to be associated with, they just need to do the commercially sensible thing and stick to their events and their product. Respect the customer.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They won't cancel it, but I do expect major changes to how they broadcast content this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the stream was delivered Nintendo Direct-style with absolutely no crowd shots.

This is exactly what I expect to happen. No on stage presentations, no QAs, just a Direct video for each of their franchises.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
The more they pull shit like this, the bigger a shitshow Blizzcon will be. I hope they keep doubling down on this shit just so that Blizzcon can be as big of a shitshow as possible.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
This is exactly what I expect to happen. No on stage presentations, no QAs, just a Direct video for each of their franchises.

Havent they already promised a bunch of content for their paying customers? If people bought Blizzcon tickets and were promised certain events that dont happen or end up being watered down then thats probably going to be a shitstorm all by itself.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
They are not cancelling Blizzcon. They are gonna hire people to look happy on stream.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard might as well go all out and have the Chinese national anthem sung at Blizzcon at this point.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzcon this year will have all presentations spoken in Mandarin. Also future Blizzcons to be held in Beijing for the pride of their nation.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
They are not cancelling Blizzcon. They are gonna hire people to look happy on stream.
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they mute the audience and pipe in their own cheers and remove any trouble makers with haste. Planted people asking questions.

None of it would surprise me if i am blizzard i go on complete lockdown and control the whole thing. Problem is though, people have phones. But this is all assuming people there even give a shit.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I wonder if the execs at Blizzard has heard about the Streisand effect..

Apparently not :p

Someone should try to enter blizzcon with a winnie the pooh costume.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Those "live"-streams are all going to have a 30-second delay, minimum. You know, they're gonna "fish tank" it like CBS does with the Big Brother feeds if anything untoward happens.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzcon might give WWE a run for their money by censoring material that goes against their image.

Bet there's going to be multiple cases where people are told to change their shirts if they're pro-Hong Kong.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they mute the audience and pipe in their own cheers and remove any trouble makers with haste. Planted people asking questions.

None of it would surprise me if i am blizzard i go on complete lockdown and control the whole thing. Problem is though, people have phones. But this is all assuming people there even give a shit.
None of that solves people wearing shirts or carrying signs though.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I think y'all are overestimating how many attendees will be protesting (genuinely protesting—not just trolling).

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
You either die a sole proprietor or live long enough to be corporation.

My 1 year ban is permanent now.

It is one thing to censor your products but another to attack the rights of your fans.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I REALLY doubt they will do those audience Q&A sessions after what happened last year and what is happening with them and China now. If they did do them... god speed to those developers.

Is it selfish to say that I actually hope that they don't have fully open Q&A sessions, regardless of what happened last year and this year?
The sessions where they prescreen the questions have so much more quality questions and answers.

I guess I expect people to ask interesting things about the lore or some design decision and what not, and not why it has been 14 years since they were promised a green version of this sword or that item or something just super niche. :D I don't blame people asking the questions they want, but still, hahahh, some sessions would be better if they have filtered questions.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
It might be too late to cancel Blizzcon. No way the venue is going to refund the money when it's in a couple weeks plus they'll have to refund all the ticket sales. They gotta go do it.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Is it selfish to say that I actually hope that they don't have fully open Q&A sessions, regardless of what happened last year and this year?
The sessions where they prescreen the questions have so much more quality questions and answers.

As far as I've seen for the past few years, all of the stage panel Q&As have been pre-screened. However, that doesn't stop a person from submitting one question and asking another, which gets you the diablo meme from last year.

I actually found the informal q&A sessions with the devs that used to happen off stage way more interesting, because people would ak more in depth questions about balance and content design. But those have gone the way of the dodo.

Anyway, I'm still going and will wear my choice of shirts and put a Mei meme on my ipad. But I'm sitting quietly and minding my own business, unless there is more direct PR nonsense from on high.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
None of that solves people wearing shirts or carrying signs though.
It does because Blizzard can remove any and all of these people from the event. But again this is assuming people going actually give a fuck about the situation.

Signs will never get through the front door and same with shirts unless they are hiding it which can 100% result in getting kicked out.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
As far as I've seen for the past few years, all of the stage panel Q&As have been pre-screened. However, that doesn't stop a person from submitting one question and asking another, which gets you the diablo meme from last year.

I actually found the informal q&A sessions with the devs that used to happen off stage way more interesting, because people would ak more in depth questions about balance and content design. But those have gone the way of the dodo.

Anyway, I'm still going and will wear my choice of shirts and put a Mei meme on my ipad. But I'm sitting quietly and minding my own business, unless there is more direct PR nonsense from on high.

Wasn't aware the Diablo Immortal questions were prescreened. But perhaps they were and I don't remember. It's been a while. :D

Oct 25, 2017
It does because Blizzard can remove any and all of these people from the event. But again this is assuming people going actually give a fuck about the situation.

Signs will never get through the front door and same with shirts unless they are hiding it which can 100% result in getting kicked out.
Doing that in itself will generate heat on social media too. There's no winning here.

"Blizzard kicks out Blizzcon attendees for wearing Hong Kong shirts" is another PR storm to deal with, bigger than having people show on stream with it.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I think y'all are overestimating how many attendees will be protesting (genuinely protesting—not just trolling).
I'd be shocked if more than 12 were there protesting. I think the majority of blizzard fans don't give a fuck.

Doing that in itself will generate heat on social media too. There's no winning here.

"Blizzard kicks out Blizzcon attendees for wearing Hong Kong shirts" is another PR storm to deal with, bigger than having people show on stream with it.
Events do this all the time. Worst case scenario if they let them in is what i earlier. Don't cut to audience, pipe in fake audio and mute the crowd and have stand in people to ask questions. Either way they they are going to get hate but the fact they haven't changed their stance tells me people aren't quitting their games in any significant amount which doesn't surprise me because i still stand by most people don't give a shit.