• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like that goats is going to be complete removed.

But then again I like watching good goats teams.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jason described it as mostly, if not entirely, PvE. Not exactly something you'd replace OG Overwatch with.

And to be honest, there's too much stuff in the pipeline for Overwatch for a direct replacement this soon to be realistic.

By the way, I meant to say Overwatch 2, not OW in general. Unless people are just using OW2 as a code-name.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Someone needs to explain me how forcing people to play characters or roles which they don't want to play is a good way of maintaining a playerbase.

That looks like the competitive community is again busy destroying the game for everyone else.

I mean that's exactly what this is. People who are upset because the team won't follow their orders to build the comp they want, so instead of finding a group of people to play regularly with, they want to alter the rest of the game to fit their needs w/out considering any of the negative ramifications.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I mean shitty as in attitude, not skill or anything else. I'd be bothered if I wanted to play a specific hero (good or bad) that I just waited 10 minutes to play, and then basically couldn't play because someone else locked that hero first, because then my options are finish the match and wait again (which would be 20-30 minutes in a Comp setting), or just quit, lose SR, and wait again (and hope I can play my hero). I just don't think it's a net positive here.

Obviously I'm guessing at wait times, because none of us know how good or bad it would be, but I think (given the Overwatch community's history as being somewhat toxic) that the number of players who behave poorly if they don't get their hero of choice after long wait times will be pretty salty.
You're talking one tricks and they suck in the current system as well. If anything, having to wait longer for a match as DPS (I think Jeff stated somewhere around 14 minutes?) might encourage those players to be more flexible in who they pick.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Locked 2/2/2 will need a big rebalance patch or certain characters will be (de facto) deleted.

KITPUNK

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It eliminates the option to stall a point or payload and clutch a team fight win.
It eliminates or at least drastically limits the option to scout with somba at the start.
It eliminates or at least drastically limits the option to take a quick shot with Widow or Ana at the start.
It eliminates the option to run solo support.
It eliminates the option to run tripple dps.
It eliminates the option to run 3 tank OR 3 supports.
It eliminates the option to run Sombra GOATS.

You make it sound like everyone even plays those comps correctly to begin with. Unless you're in masters or OWL, even if the comps were correct, the strats were wrong. Fav quote from Jeff: "Even when you think you're playing GOATS, you're not playing GOATS".

2-2-2 lock can still have flexibility beyond what you are saying. I'm not claiming to be the best OW player, but god damn I'm sure getting tired of me being the only support in a full DPS team, or a solo tank with no healers which is incredibly common in gold-plat.

One thing I hope it does is expand players to start working on other characters. People whom never play DPS will find their backup DPS character, etc.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
You're talking one tricks and they suck in the current system as well. If anything, having to wait longer for a match as DPS (I think Jeff stated somewhere around 14 minutes?) might encourage those players to be more flexible in who they pick.

Woah woah... fourteen minutes?! Lol. Surely that ain't right. I figured it would go from the current 30-60 sec to 2 min or so.

No way am I waiting 14m for a 10-15m game.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

Is a "might" worth risking the community over? 2-2-2, if implemented for both QP and Comp instead of being a separate mode, will unquestionably reduce the size of the player base. It will reduce the size of the player base, reduce the quality of supports and tanks (for people trying to skirt he wait to play but not caring who they play) and it will increase the toxicity for one tricks or stubborn players who don't get their way.

I just don't see how this community in particular survives in any positive manner if 2-2-2 is mandated across the board. Again, I am fully on board with a 2-2-2 role queue for a separate comp mode, and I'd play it almost exclusively, but it is quite literally the worst thing they could do to this community if it applies to all standard modes.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017

Avoid Player function already tried to fix that issue and it clearly didn't do much of anything about that.

Locked 2/2/2 will need a big rebalance patch or certain characters will be (de facto) deleted.

This is certainly an issue too. Characters like Sombra, Symmetra, Pharah, Brigitte, Bastion, Torbjorn and more will have loads of issues, good and bad, if role lock happens with balance as is. I can see tons of characters needing a rework AGAIN.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What do you mean fight? There's plenty of tanks and support to pick from if you want to play them. GOATS doesn't even use DPS.
I want to say that it is not normal that half of the characters in the game only occupy a third of the positions of the teams. That will make there are many DPS that are never used.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Avoid Player function already tried to fix that issue and it clearly didn't do much of anything about that.

This is certainly an issue too. Characters like Sombra, Symmetra, Pharah, Brigitte, Bastion, Torbjorn and more will have loads of issues, good and bad, if role lock happens. I can see tons of characters needing a rework AGAIN.
Well the problem there is the thousands of one tricks and the ability to avoid exactly three people only, for a week at most.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Shame it came to this, but it really is necessary for OWL. I can't believe it didn't get implemented for Stage 3 (of which I've watched 0% of. I'll hop back into Stage 4 with 2-2-2).

if anything its been two - three weeks of absolutely mental matches in the league. Triple dps, two tanks, one support or one tank, quadruple dps, one heal

Last week and yesterday's hunter match really shows that the biggest problem of the game isnt the design, but how professional (lol) players are scared / slow to overcome the safest option and goes for the most broken and reliable option to win. Doesn't mean other options are as safe if you can execute correctly

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): derogatory language, antagonizing other members, history of similar infractions
So many smoothbrains in this thread

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Not if we get the separate role SR (which Jeff is a fan off).

So then people in Bronze / Silver / Gold have even longer queue times as no one will play their low level supports with low level DPS / Tank, because they'd rather be in Plat / Diamond, etc.

Again, separate mode, this is all good. Across the board, this is a disaster. Can we at least agree on that? lol

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
This is incredible news for those of us who ladder on the lower skill rankings, but I have no clue why you'd restrict the creativity of professional teams like this.

And, I know it's Blizzard's game, and I know balance patches are frequent, but Christ, this change is going to end careers.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well the problem there is the thousands of one tricks and the ability to avoid exactly three people only, for a week at most.

The fact that they limited this so "Good players wouldnt get mass avoided" is ridiculous.

If someone is one tricking, sucking at it and refusing to switch, its their fault if people dont want to play with them. Blizzard should let us avoid as much people as we want. Nobody gets avoided for being "too good" because avoiding only stops people from being put on YOUR team. Like come on blizzard.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say that it is not normal that half of the characters in the game only occupy a third of the positions of the teams. That will make there are many DPS that are never used.
Well despite tanks/supports being half the roster, half the characters being played in matches are rarely tanks/supports right now, at least is Plat and below. So players screwed this up and why 2/2/2 is needed.

Feb 16, 2018
not sure which is funnier:
  • devs warping the entire game around payload (one of the worst possible FPS game modes)
  • players not seeing the irony of complaining about having limited options in a game about being railroaded down a single track

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Can we at least agree on that? lol
I don't see it nearly as doom and gloom as you, so no :P You might be absolutely correct and this would mess things up big time, it might work perfectly with some time and finetuning. The only real way is to put it in the game and I'm hopeful it works.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Good. The game is too dependent on the other five people not being jackasses as it stands, the amount of times you see someone swap to Widowmaker after one death as Ana or something simular, turning a completely winnable and fun experience into a joyless slog, is mind blowing.

I don't mind the GOATs meta, and really speaking balance wise it's looking better (read: different) than it has for a while, but it's the player base attitude to picking which ruins the fun of Overwatch, and this is the main sure fire way to stop it.

And as for OWL it means dive will probably be back and my beloved NYXL will reign supreme again so win win lol

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I don't see it nearly as doom and gloom as you, so no :P You might be absolutely correct and this would mess things up big time, it might work perfectly with some time and finetuning. The only real way is to put it in the game and I'm hopeful it works.

...but why not just put it in as a separate mode first to at least see how the community responds? Why throw the baby out with the bath water? It just seems so thoughtless to do it all at once to everything.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
I don't use arcade at all, is No Limits a mainstay on the arcade menu or is it on the weekly rotation? If they keep No Limits there at all times I think it should be an okay compromise.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good. The game is too dependent on the other five people not being jackasses as it stands, the amount of times you see someone swap to Widowmaker after one death as Ana or something simular, turning a completely winnable and fun experience into a joyless slog, is mind blowing.

I don't mind the GOATs meta, and really speaking balance wise it's looking better (read: different) than it has for a while, but it's the player base attitude to picking which ruins the fun of Overwatch, and this is the main sure fire way to stop it.

And as for OWL it means dive will probably be back and my beloved NYXL will reign supreme again so win win lol

This isn't going to change the game being massively dependent on your teammates. Your DPS refusing to switch off widow when the enemy team is shitting on him is still going to single handedly lose the game for you.

2-2-2 is happening now because viewership in OWL is tanking. Turns out people actually want to watch players aim and shoot at each other in an FPS instead of vague blobs of color smashing into each other.

I actually don't think this will be a huge change for most of the playerbase.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
This is incredible news for those of us who ladder on the lower skill rankings, but I have no clue why you'd restrict the creativity of professional teams like this.

And, I know it's Blizzard's game, and I know balance patches are frequent, but Christ, this change is going to end careers.
WHAT.

There are literally DPS players wasting away on benches because they can't play Brig or Zarya - a support and tank respectively. They're retiring because they don't have Jack shit to play. 2/2/2 adds career stability because an entire class of player won't suddenly become obsolete

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Good riddance to goats, OWL exists to bring in ad dollars. You can't do that when the comps played are extremely boring and severely impact the viewing experience.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance to goats, OWL exists to bring in ad dollars. You can't do that when the comps played are extremely boring and severely impact the viewing experience.

I haven't watched OWL this season since early stage 2 because it's just so god damn boring now. So many teams and players have been screwed by GOATS.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
OW is gonna feel like shit with a 2-2-2 lock unless they drastically rebalance everything. But at least OWL will be watchable again lmao

Deleted member 34611

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I just imagine all the people hating on this change as being those terrible instalock dps who blame the healers for their bad positioning and aim. Unfortunately, this change took entirely too long to make.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
OW is gonna feel like shit with a 2-2-2 lock unless they drastically rebalance everything. But at least OWL will be watchable again lmao

I think the thing htat a 2 2 2 lock will do is encourage character changes more quickly in order to take advantage of hard counters rather than requiring things to be rebalanced. Off tank usage is gonna fall off though. Also Rip Hammond + 3dps, that was starting to get neat in OWL.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
When talking about 2/2/2 they already said they would have to look at balance again, so I guess we'd get a pretty big patch indeed.

To be fair, if they went that route, they should probably just save it for their massive "overwatch 2" update they're planning for next year.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
This is actually kind of silly. Some of OW's best moment as a team is mounting some kind of offense/defense at certain points of a match.

For instance last night I was in the team attacking the payload, clock counting down less than 40 seconds to go, we all needed to hold the point, about 4 of us went high health characters and the next two healers, and we held onto the point in overtime and won.

These moments are Overwatch to me. The freedom to experiment as a team. I've played 700 hours but this really sucks my enthusiasm for the game out a bit. Removing duplicate heroes was obvious but this is a step too far imo.

Hopefully it's just OWL and not quick play, personally

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think the only hero it'll severely impact in ladder play will be brig, and only at higher rankings. she'll be an unkillable asshole still lower down because people don't know how to focus her. there will probably be a falloff in rein/zarya too but i don't think it'll be that bad.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...but why not just put it in as a separate mode first to at least see how the community responds? Why throw the baby out with the bath water? It just seems so thoughtless to do it all at once to everything.
A separate mode wouldn't give useful results. If it isn't Comp, a bunch of players will not care. If it's a separate Comp mode, players will stick with main comp mode because that is the one that matters. DPS players also are not going to wait longer in a separate mode queue when they got their normal queue to use either.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is literally a result of terrible balance and design ideology. Having 66 percent of the team based around less than half the characters in this game is fucking stupid.