• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Blizzard staff going to BlizzCon with zero direction from leadership on how to address any and all questions and protests.

At this rate, they're marching into a slaughterhouse.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I really thought they would have addressed this internally by now, wtf.
It's very likely they aren't sure how to approach this yet. This is far from a simple issue from their standpoint as they are heavily invested in China and likely afraid of China blowing up their decade plus efforts to break into that market.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
I really thought they would have addressed this internally by now, wtf.

There is no good answer to give. Even lots of fans understand that by now. If they can somehow have the situation under control in Blizcon, this may just be it. Damages are done, to every party involved.

"Oh, new shinnies", players, probably, in three weeks, Blizzard hopes.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
What an absolute failure of leadership. I can't believe they managed to outdo THQ this year

yes, i didn't think THQ could be overtaken.........but blizzard did it in one day and has only made worse with each passing.

All i can hope is that people keep posting support and more on the reddits and this shit if nothing is done............hits blizzcon full force. I really hope people don't just forgive them for showing some D4 shit and hope those trailers get the most downvotes in history along with nothing but #FreeHongKong in the comments.

For once this is a community united against the bullshit

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The whole Vice interview is very informative I recommend reading it all.

I particularly found the fact that prospective employees with offers are pulling out of working for them to be a good sign that pressure is hitting them from even less publicly visible directions.

I also sympathize with the suggestion that the whole industry probably has this problem, and the employee doesn't even know where else they could get a job that is free from this sort of entanglement.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It's very likely they aren't sure how to approach this yet. This is far from a simple issue from their standpoint as they are heavily invested in China and likely afraid of China blowing up their decade plus efforts to break into that market.
Yeah, some quotes from the end of that article sum it up the whole situation pretty well:
"We're damned if we don't take a stand—we'll have lost a lot of support from fans outside of China. We're damned if we do—you can't keep the lights on when we lose income from China and others more hungry swoop in to take our place," the employee said. "Even if I did leave, where would I go that's not beholden to access or income from China today or tomorrow?"
Everyone loses either way, Blizzard got the unenviable position of having the spotlight thrust on them for something that's affecting the whole market. There's no way they can spin this positively, and there's no way the higher ups and legal team will let anyone walk it back at the risk of irritating China and losing cash flow.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm most interested in seeing are stats on just how many Battle.net accounts have been closed since this all sparked. It's apparently been enough to choke the system, but is it enough to make Activision Blizzard sweat?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
The whole Vice interview is very informative I recommend reading it all.

I particularly found the fact that prospective employees with offers are pulling out of working for them to be a good sign that pressure is hitting them from even less publicly visible directions.

It's pretty well known that Blizzard pays below industry standard and has long attracted talent based on their pedigree. Now that the pedigree is collapsing (which started long before this, to be fair), it makes sense folks are going to be less interested in working there.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I concur (from extensive personal experience in entertainment communications/PR) that this is a wildly sensitive and complicated subject to address with all audiences. But one of the number one roles in comms (internal/employee-focused, or external/PR) is that you try and get ahead of the story before it's written for you.

That they haven't said anything is really troubling...

From the Vice interview:

"We're damned if we don't take a stand—we'll have lost a lot of support from fans outside of China. We're damned if we do—you can't keep the lights on when we lose income from China and others more hungry swoop in to take our place," the employee said. "Even if I did leave, where would I go that's not beholden to access or income from China today or tomorrow?"

Brutal to read. I sympathize a ton with all the employees there whose work I've loved for decades.

Also, the Vice article indicates a video was coming from Brack for employees, although it's been delayed. And they posted *something* for employees, at least, even if it was a low-effort "I'm listening" notice. It's kind of terrible, but better than outright silence.

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
There is no good answer to give. Even lots of fans understand that by now. If they can somehow have the situation under control in Blizcon, this may just be it. Damages are done, to every party involved.

"Oh, new shinnies", players, probably, in three weeks, Blizzard hopes.

There is absolutely a good answer. They support Hong Kong and their right to protest. China is all bark and the more companies push back the more they will see this. Just stand for what is right and say that if they lose business it is worth it to uphold the right to protest. Turn what is already the worst thing I have seen a gaming company face into a feelgood moment of solidarity. This is a clear decision imo.

The alternative is to yield to ccp censorship which will become a constant problem to appease that they will have to tackle endlessly especially as China gets even more aggressive in controlling the message. I think to stay the course long term is the path of most resistance.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I concur (from extensive personal experience in entertainment communications/PR) that this is a wildly sensitive and complicated subject to address with all audiences. But one of the number one roles in comms (internal/employee-focused, or external/PR) is that you try and get ahead of the story before it's written for you.

From the Vice interview:

Brutal to read. I sympathize a ton with all the employees there whose work I've loved for decades.
They can't "keep the light on" regardless of whether they get money from China because blizzard is likely to lay off tons of employees even after record profits.

Why are we painting this like Blizzard is actually in a tough spot? Don't fucking take money from oppressive regimes. Jesus Christ.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
They can't "keep the light on" regardless of whether they get money from China because blizzard is likely to lay off tons of employees even after record profits.

Why are we painting this like Blizzard is actually in a tough spot? Don't fucking take money from oppressive regimes. Jesus Christ.
I don't think anyone's saying Blizzard is in a tight spot morally, there's an obvious correct answer for what to do.

But the reality is that they're not going to, and the alternative is to give up the cash to someone else because this is absolutely going to keep happening at other places as well. Late stage capitalism is fun, because the right answer is to effectively get out of the game.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

They're not in a tough spot, morally. They're in a tough spot in every other way that counts. It is a nightmare to try and get far smaller decisions made than this one with all the entanglements, contracts, and stakeholders involved. It's never as simple as we think it is, in practical terms. Again: morally, it's absolutely the right thing to do. But making it reality is a fucking Kobayashi-Maru-esque mess.

If I could only show you what I had to do this week to get two TWEETS out about a topic with zero moral ambiguity....it's INSANE. A decision like this can't (and probably shouldn't) be made hastily. But they absolutely have to start communicating. They have to say something. They have to give us and their people an indication of where the discussion is.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It's probably not a situation that's fixable by individuals or singular corporate decisions. Media trade policy and international investment policy needs to take media censorship into account.

It's funny to think back to our hubris in the 90s expecting free trade to export democracy. You always expect everyone else to be manipulatable, but never expect yourself to be.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019

Taliesin finally made a video, good

These kinds of takes really make me convinced nothing is going to happen, no change is going to be made and Blizzard will keep doing business as usual when they decide to drop all kinds of nice blingies as a distraction during Blizzcon. Though I don't know what I was hoping for to begin with.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Eh reading the Blizzcon FB group, most of the people there are like "keep yo politics outta my games and convention" so it is possible we're hoping for too much to happen there.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
These kinds of takes really make me convinced nothing is going to happen, no change is going to be made and Blizzard will keep doing business as usual when they decide to drop all kinds of nice blingies as a distraction during Blizzcon. Though I don't know what I was hoping for to begin with.
Such defeatist attitudes.
If people dont want to Boycott Blizzard because they simply don't believe this is a big deal, fine.
This whole "it's terrible but we can't do a thing about it" defeatest bullshit is the most asinine thing.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Sigh. That was a mixed bag. Most of it is justifications for the ban and whataboutism. He says he disagrees and supports Hong Kong but that is the smallest part of the video.
Worst part is that most if not all the comments agree that Tali did a "reasonable and not driven by emotion" response and that he did the proper research before ranting.

It's depressing seeing the people who should be doing something wave it away.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Worst part is that most if not all the comments agree that Tali did a "reasonable and not driven by emotion" response and that he did the proper research before ranting.

It's depressing seeing the people who should be doing something wave it away.

He is eloquent and that is enough to convince some people. Even if most of what he is saying is horsehit. It was literally a video of everything I hate about this. "Why do anything!" "Why give Blizzard a hard time if you don't give Apple a hard time."

Like holy shit change has to start somewhere. Does it make any sense at all to take on the biggest megacorps out there or do you make a smaller company change position and hope it starts a chain reaction.

The entire video is full of dumb shit. Says he protests but mainly cause it's down the street. This is his way of making fun of westerners that protest. Then he says he was going to not go to Blizzcon but last night changed his mind because he can't boycott all companies with China ties... such a manipulative trash video.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Btw, Steam''s latest LGBTQ+ sale is not available in certain countries (guess which ones!) for those that were so flabbergasted about the Overwatch gay thing.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be a lot of fence sitters with this topic. Especially them YouTube creators that make money from blizzard themselves or through subs/views. Very sad state of affairs.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some quotes from the end of that article sum it up the whole situation pretty well:

Everyone loses either way, Blizzard got the unenviable position of having the spotlight thrust on them for something that's affecting the whole market. There's no way they can spin this positively, and there's no way the higher ups and legal team will let anyone walk it back at the risk of irritating China and losing cash flow.

From the Vice interview:

Also, the Vice article indicates a video was coming from Brack for employees, although it's been delayed. And they posted *something* for employees, at least, even if it was a low-effort "I'm listening" notice. It's kind of terrible, but better than outright silence.

"Keep the lights on?"

What are they some shoe-string budget mom and pop store? Last I checked Activision-Blizzard was a BILLION dollar company. What the entire company is going to go under without access to the Chinese market? A move that would also hurt Chinese business/companies invested in the industry?

GTFO with that "poor ol' us" logic. Not being able to make even more billions due to restricted access to China is not a justification for supporting an oppressive regime and doing their work for them.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Reading all the subreddits for Blizzard games gives me hope that there is a lot of people who won't let it die down. Shills like Taliesin seem to be the minority here.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
"Keep the lights on?"

What are they some shoe-string budget mom and pop store? Last I checked Activision-Blizzard was a BILLION dollar company. What the entire company is going to go under without access to the Chinese market? A move that would also hurt Chinese business/companies invested in the industry?

GTFO with that "poor ol' us" logic. Not being able to make even more billions due to restricted access to China is not a justification for supporting an oppressive regime and doing their work for them.

And another of those billion dollar companies that doesn't pay taxes. Well, not sure a single one of 'em does but fuck if that's a valid excuse.

Seriously hard to feel sorry for these unethical giants earning fewer billions of profit.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
"Keep the lights on?"

I think what they meant is if they were to say piss off China as a response and be barred from doing business in China as a result, it would cause a significant impact to their business which would in turn likely lead to a significant restructuring/layoffs among other things. It just is what it is. There's no option to be in for them that doesn't have a significant effect on their business. So, we'll see how they go about it. It being a successful company overall doesn't mean they can willingly just cut off an arm on a whim. Likely why they haven't said a thing yet.

Reading all the subreddits for Blizzard games gives me hope that there is a lot of people who won't let it die down. Shills like Taliesin seem to be the minority here.

Do not look at youtubers or streamers whose livelihoods literally depend on blizzard games being successful/relevant. I don't understand why anyone would. Few would go out of their way to nuke their income, as sad as that may be.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
"Keep the lights on?"

To be clear, I'm not defending anything about this. They've got the money to survive, they easily could. I already said there's a clear, morally unambiguous choice here. But they're a public company and those investors demand growth, so if they're not going to suckle at the teat of China, the executives would sooner gut more of the operation than face a loss. The company wouldn't go under, but they absolutely would start hacking away at it just to keep the bottom line steady.

It's a shitty situation, but from the perspective of an employee who is just trying to survive, I get it. The same things crap keeps happening with almost every large corporation and it's only going to get worse until someone actually starts slapping sanctions on these actions.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
One can only hope that this keeps escalating to the point where companies feel that making business in China like this is too risky and not worth the constant kowtowing.

Would be curious how the CPP would react if a large number of the giants no longer does business over there. You gotta keep your masses entertained, after all, and if you remove many worldwide trendy toys...

But yeh, no point in dreaming about that for a long time.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm hoping people keep it alive just to troll and shit on blizzard if nothing else.

Like, it would be great if someone asked awkward questions at blizzcon out of legitimate care about the subject, but I'll take someone doing it for the lulz if it keeps the convo alive.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

I hope more companies realize that Chinese money comes with huge potential drawbacks as well.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Given that the last post here was 37 minutes ago, I wonder now if not saying anything was actually the correct move.

And I am now even sadder.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm really interested who else from the big ones in the industry is keeping a very close eye on all of this. I can imagine a lot of pr people trembling and going they won't be next.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine Blizzard staff going to BlizzCon with zero direction from leadership on how to address any and all questions and protests.

At this rate, they're marching into a slaughterhouse.
Because theyre just not going to take questions and or ensure the mic gets cut off anytime someone starts a question about this. I fully believe that no protest is going to be visible at blizcon this year so they can stay quiet and hope it blows over with diablo 4 and OW2 announcements.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
True.

Its crazy to me that despite last year being a circus this year is somehow gonna be worse.
yes, i didn't think THQ could be overtaken.........but blizzard did it in one day and has only made worse with each passing.

All i can hope is that people keep posting support and more on the reddits and this shit if nothing is done............hits blizzcon full force. I really hope people don't just forgive them for showing some D4 shit and hope those trailers get the most downvotes in history along with nothing but #FreeHongKong in the comments.

For once this is a community united against the bullshit

THQ is like, thank fuck these idiots exist.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Stylosa is a bitch boot licker just like Taliesin and that people expected any better of these people who have brown nosed every step of the way is absurd.
u9nhrhprpyr31.jpg

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Because theyre just not going to take questions and or ensure the mic gets cut off anytime someone starts a question about this. I fully believe that no protest is going to be visible at blizcon this year so they can stay quiet and hope it blows over with diablo 4 and OW2 announcements.
Even if Blizzard cuts the mic or delays camera feeds, there will undoubtedly be people recording any protests that occur regardless of Blizzard's actions.

They've basically given attendees three weeks to plot how to get through.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given that the last post here was 37 minutes ago, I wonder now if not saying anything was actually the correct move.

And I am now even sadder.
Entire gaming and tech world is now waiting for Blizzard's response. This or another thread will pick up again once we have something new to discuss. I can't imagine Blizzard not saying anything with just 19 days left to Blizzcon. It would be the biggest elephant in the room of any gaming event I can ever think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.