• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of megacorp will have to take a stance on this in future.
"Are you FOR or are you AGAINST?"

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
One angle I haven't heard and don't know if this is happening here is that Blizzard also has an office in Shanghai and they're worried about retaliation from the goverment against those employees.

Either way this Blizzcon will be... interesting.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough they censure him as he did break rules, but it seems they've gone completely over the top, and what did the casters do to deserve getting sacked as well? If that's how they want to act then they're going to have to accept the blow-back. No doubt some arsehole executive has determined the money they'll lose from Western based anger will be far less than what they'd lose in China if they did nothing. Urgh, I would have gone to war for this company at one point in my life, to look at them now makes me so sad.
They likely didn't count on the NBA story breaking at the same time. I think they underestimated the backlash

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
most either don't read this stuff or don't care.

I thought so, too, but all subreddits for their games, Twitter, Facebook and even the goddamn 9gag are up in arms about this. Don't think people are going to forget about this anytime soon.

Of course, that's still a small subset of all the gamers, but still.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Let's hope that Blizzard doesn't get the same slack that Riot did once the KDA video came out.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Whats funny about this entire thing is if they didn't take any action this wouldn't even be a story. When you watch the video the guy and commentators were laughing because it was sort of a troll-y comment and now Blizzard turned this into a massive story. What a time we live in.

If they didn't take any action, there wouldn't be any more Hearthstone in China, or likely any other Blizzard games either if they persisted. Retaliation against Chinese employees, massive layoffs, the entire future of the company in question. That would be a story.

I'm not saying that what they did is right, but I do believe that that's the alternative they were facing down.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I hope the audience at the opening presentation at Blizzcon chant in support of Hong Kong. That would be great.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If they didn't take any action, there wouldn't be any more Hearthstone in China, or likely any other Blizzard games either if they persisted. Retaliation against Chinese employees, massive layoffs, the entire future of the company in question. That would be a story.

Yeah, I'm sure China would immediately cancel all their contracts and ban them for what one player shouted on a broadcast.

/s

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm probably one of the biggest Blizzard fans ever....but their recent output has been uninspiring to me to say the least. This though, this is the last straw. I cancelled my WOW account while uninstalling every game and will not support them in any way shape or form. Diablo 4 would have been fun to try out in a few years, but this is too brazen to ignore. I'll just stick with PoE nowadays as it's been better for many years already, and I pretty much fell off the D3 bandwagon a year after launch in all honesty. That coupled with their butchering of their three Golden Goose IPs has soured everything about them for me now. It's about time I said goodbye to them, their identity and "culture" died long ago anyways.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not saying that what they did is right, but I do believe that that's the alternative they were facing down.
The real alternative was to broadcast themselves that they have no affiliation with the winner nor are the winner's viewpoints or political expressions are representative of Activision Blizzard as a whole and be done with it.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure China would immediately cancel all their contracts and ban them for what one player shouted on a broadcast.

/s

Has anyone ever gotten away with not caving to Chinese censorship requests?

See: NBA, Google, etc.

(Both of whom are bigger players than Blizzard and offer less copy-able products, mind you.)

The real alternative was to broadcast themselves that they have no affiliation with the winner nor are the winner's viewpoints or political expressions are representative of Activision Blizzard as a whole and be done with it.

And if the Chinese government asked them to go further, what then?

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

This wouldn't be enough. The NBA caved and forced Daryl Morey to give an apology for his Tweet (along with deleting it).

OP
OP
Lump

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
6RWkwB0.jpg

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
According to Blizzard's own statement, this is the relevant competition rule.

So the mechanism for punishment (stripping of all prize winnings) was spelled out, but notice the critical point of violation: Blizzard's "sole discretion" that an offence has been committed.

This is the kind of regulation that, on the face of it, looks like it was set up to handle cases of outright abuse, exploitation, and personal misconduct that this very forum often raises a stink about, and which beset a nontrivial number of young, dumb Overwatch professionals in OWL, so I understand. Under most circumstances I think we can agree that some policy that reads like this should be in place. The question is whether applying this rule was proportionate to this incident. Notice, also, that the regulation does not say anything about politics: only offence.

I think we can say quite reasonably that Blizzard's discretion here—using their own regulation to cave to their mainland China crowd, which is cheering their decision on Weibo—was serious error in judgement that is open to disagreement.

That said, Blitzchung knew the risk he was taking and has said he will not be appealing the decision. He's made his point very well and laid Blizzard's complicity bare already, I'd say.
Thanks for this response.
I'm eager to see what develops next. The posts about Blizzard employee statements against the decision are quite poignant.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of megacorp will have to take a stance on this in future.
"Are you FOR or are you AGAINST?"
I mean, the answer will be whichever one doesn't hamper their profits.

the fuck is kda?

oh...wow...really? that's all it takes?
It was likely already planned to debut because they had a live performance at a tournament for it too, but it just happened to debut at the right time that the company was swirled in the controversy, so the KDA video took up all the riot games headlines instead of the controversy, helping ease it out of the public consciousness.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is number 3 trending where I am, behind Richard Sherman and International Lesbian Day

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The Blizzard subreddit was reopened and has a megathread for the news: https://www.reddit.com/r/Blizzard/comments/df6v8i/megathread_recent_blitzchung_situation_discussion/

Also:

Finally, a note on the short time the subreddit was private: For some reason, one of our recent mods set the subreddit to private then deleted his account. It was an odd event, but rest assured, us remaining mods have restored it to public. No, we were not contacted by Blizzard, nor are we employees to any extent. We are committed to supporting this community. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.