• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'm very curious how Nintendo's promotion of Overwatch for Switch will play out now. Before Blizzard bent the knee and ate the whole dong, I would have guaranteed we'd see a bunch of posts and video uploads for the game over Nintendo's various social media accounts, and now I wouldn't be surprised if they just entirely avoid the release at all costs.

Letting it silently fart out onto the eshop without a word would probably be the best course for Nintendo, but I wonder if that risks potential relationships with Activision/Blizzard.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very curious how Nintendo's promotion of Overwatch for Switch will play out now. Before Blizzard bent the knee and ate the whole dong, I would have guaranteed we'd see a bunch of posts and video uploads for the game over Nintendo's various social media accounts, and now I wouldn't be surprised if they just entirely avoid the release at all costs.

Letting it silently fart out onto the eshop without a word would probably be the best course for Nintendo, but I wonder if that risks potential relationships with Activision/Blizzard.
They did say it was Blizzard's decision to do this.

With that said they've been awfully silent about the release even though it had a huge fanfare at the Direct. I'd imagine they'll have a Tweet celebrating it's release and a banner on the Eshop and that's it.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sad because I know a friend who was going to this and was excited to be part of the launch but they are not even buying the game on switch anymore because of what happened.

To those saying that they should cancel blizzcon - no I don't think they will. It is far too late in the day to cancel it - people book flights from around the world to attend or participate in their tourneys like the overwatch World Cup - I highly doubt they will cancel the event. I think they are hoping this will relatively die down in the next 2 1/2 weeks enough that there will only be mild protests that they can contain but I think that horse has well and truly bolted and this now has a life of its own and has tarnished the brand enough for this to stick around for quite a while.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I mean they very uncharacteristically specifically called out Blizzard as being the ones to cancel it, so they clearly want nothing to do with being blamed for this.

That's the feeling I got too. I definitely think this is one of the few times Nintendo fully wants to avoid bad PR by association. Normally they like to be "apolitical" but I think they're very aware Blizzard crossed a line for many consumers.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And. Broke. The. Rules.
So did American University when they protested, yet got no punishment outside their stream being cut off. Blizz don't give a fuck about their rules, why are you so happy to buy that sorry excuse? The casters also just were present when Blitzchung protested on stream and were fired on the spot. What rules did they break, breathing?

How can you be so god damn gullible and smug about it at the same time.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

They're probably obligated to deliver a certain amount of promotion and I expect they'll meet their obligation.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
If Blizzard had been smart and stayed consistent, there could have been an argument that this is just about enforcing rules.

Then came the Blizz China commentary about protecting dignity: https://www.thegamer.com/blizzard-official-chinese-account-national-dignity-china/
And not punishing others who broke the exact same rule about making political statements: https://www.techspot.com/news/82312...forfeit-tournament-protest-over-blizzard.html

This in addition to firing casters for what a player said, makes it clear that it wasn't a simple breaking of rules issue.

Gin

May 2, 2018
Honestly - they should just cancel Blizzcon and refund everyone's money for tickets purchased
Blizzard should do a pre-recorded event / aka direct and share it with everyone about upcoming games

That is the only way to save face and minimize damage here from a business point of view
Any form of live event is just a major disaster waiting to happen

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I think you all have this way twisted. Honestly blizzard can't do anything to change anything in China. What you're really doing is you're trying to grasp anyway you can have a part of this China conflict and all you're doing is going around lashing out at United States companies that have almost no influence on China.

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion but you could do a whole lot better things than trying to tear down Blizzard. There has to be a better outlet for your anger. Maybe donate to streamers who are trying to do something? Get some humanitarian Aid out to the people who are actually protesting in China? But seriously, trying to disrupt BlizzCon seems more like you're doing it for the lulz.

I hate how we have to politicize everything now. You are destroying gaming. Plain and simple.

This is extremely cynical worldview that is both fatalist and somehow still stupidly nationalist.

First of all Activision Blizzard even though based on the United States is a vast multinational Fortune 500 company. It has immense power around the world even though gamers might see it only as a video game company. Companies HAVE influence. They are not puppets. (Or in this case are).

Spreading the word, boycotting and basically being angry are DOING something. They are valid and lawful means of protesting.

The last paragraph is just plain stupid. Everything is political. If you don't like it so be it. Play with yourself. The real world out there is going on and right now going to hell while you are angry about people "politicizing" things.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you all have this way twisted. Honestly blizzard can't do anything to change anything in China. What you're really doing is you're trying to grasp anyway you can have a part of this China conflict and all you're doing is going around lashing out at United States companies that have almost no influence on China.

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion but you could do a whole lot better things than trying to tear down Blizzard. There has to be a better outlet for your anger. Maybe donate to streamers who are trying to do something? Get some humanitarian Aid out to the people who are actually protesting in China? But seriously, trying to disrupt BlizzCon seems more like you're doing it for the lulz.

I hate how we have to politicize everything now. You are destroying gaming. Plain and simple.

RIP gaming (1952-2019), destroyed by people not wanting to support a genocidal regime for the lulz.
It will be missed.

fine. I'm out. You guys can have this thread but honestly I don't think any of you understand how business actually works. And I don't think any of you are old enough to know how to protest or try to actually drive change. I suggested multiple times that you find a better way to support people in Hong Kong than trying to take down a company like blizzard but if you think that's what's going to help you go ahead. Peace thread.

*children, dumb* "Let's not buy the products of a company that supports a totalitarian regime"
*me, a smart adult, chuckling* "Have you considered.....not holding them accountable for their actions?"

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I still don't know why Blizzard is sucking up to China, Tencent only owns 5% of the company right?. Do we know how much blizzard makes from the Chinese market?
They just arrogantly figured nobody in the west would care, so they took the political position to kiss up to the CCP, so they could have the best of both worlds. Now instead their morally corrupt stance has put them in between a rock and a hard place, where every next step hurts their bottom line more. That's why this whole mess is so absolutely delicious.

Or in other words.

Blizzard just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Western culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in China where you can become successful by being a sycophant to the government. If you screw liberty over in the West, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the Western public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Blizzard games for any system, nor will they attend any of Blizzard's promotional events. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Blizzard has alienated an entire market with this move.
Blizzard, publicly apologize and cancel Blitzchung's ban or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Seems you really dont see the point here. Prioritize your cool games over humans. Sick.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
fine. I'm out. You guys can have this thread but honestly I don't think any of you understand how business actually works. And I don't think any of you are old enough to know how to protest or try to actually drive change. I suggested multiple times that you find a better way to support people in Hong Kong than trying to take down a company like blizzard but if you think that's what's going to help you go ahead. Peace thread.

Seems like all this protesting of blizzard has gotten noticed by the mainstream media and lead to a lot more people being aware of what's going on in Hong Kong. Maybe it wasn't useless after all.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is a stupid post, plain and simple.

Edit: If you want to hold your hands to your ears screaming LALALALA whilst the rest of the world continues, do that on your own accord. Your ignorance does not mean we are the problem.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
They just arrogantly figured nobody in the west would care, so they took the political position to kiss up to the CCP, so they could have the best of both worlds. Now instead their morally corrupt stance has put them in between a rock and a hard place, where every next step hurts their bottom line more. That's why this whole mess is so absolutely delicious.
I think it's the timing of this happening now. Any other time, Blizzard would have gotten away with it... Well, China would have gotten away with it, I should say. Not many people even batted an eye when China bullied companies to say "Taiwan/Hong Kong, China", forbade businesses or countries to recognise Taiwan as a country, the entire South East Asia sea dispute, etc...

It just so happens that HK protest is gaining attention, that's why this made the news.

Which is a good thing really, even if people aren't able to help, a voice of support is greatly appreciated.

It is a shame that Tibet and Uyghurs suffering weren't enough to gain international attention, but I will take whatever support there is.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Blizzard really has dug themselves into a massive hole. What an absolute PR disaster that a major company can no longer hold a product release event.

No doubt there will be protests at Blizzcon too. What is Blizz going to do? Cancel their own convention? Instead of hiding, Blizz needs to own this or it will continue to grow legs.

Dec 12, 2017

Nintendo also has a bottom line.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Don't drag the Nintendo store employees and ruin their day by leading them into a steaming pile of dog shit. BlizzCon is literally around the corner.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Supporting HK and "taking down" Blizzard is not mutually exclusive.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Could it be because of the fact that Nintendo is a Japanese company? I mean, as far as I know Japan and China are not in good relations and for a company like Nintendo, hosting an event of a a developer that stands with Chinese government is not acceptable.

Kildrek

Oct 25, 2017
So when they try to talk about their mobile game at blizzcon, you think shits really gonna hit the fan?

Because I can think of no more of a perfect storm waiting to happen.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Plum

May 31, 2018
The Switch subreddit discussing this cancellation has been locked:

I wonder why?

They say it's because of their "no politics" rule, something that is almost always meant to mean "don't talk about uncomfortable things the mods disagree with."

Reminds me of r/CasualUK where you're not allowed to mention any politician's name but you can whine about political correctness and other such things until the cows come home.

Last edited:

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
only no Q&A could make sense for them. People can stream everything from their phones.

At this point, even if there is no Q&A session, I'm dead convinced people are going to heckle the shit out of the conference anyway - as they should. This seems even more obvious after how heckling-heavy this year's E3 conferences are. Blizzard fans are too passionate to let this slide.

Unless Blizzcon literally has no live audience, it's going to be full of trolling.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can see them "trying" to do a weird livestream of some sort so they can control the narrative and in turn deliver any announcements.

They are in so deep now just cancel for a few years, see what happens with Hong Kong/China politics and try and rebuild with fans using good games. There is literally no point in having a Blizzcon right now. No one is interested in celebrating this company at the moment, I bet not even blizz employees.