• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
JKshNzi.png

Today Blizzards classic team has released Patch 1.31.0. One of the many patches released for Warcraft 3 this year. Since they started patching the game again the game has come to the Battle.net launcher, received widescreen support, multicore support, 64 bit support and much more.

Meanwhile the World Editor (the famous map editor which spawned things like DotA and Legion TD) has received many updates.

Now it's full steam ahead towards Reforged.

Hail Warchiefs, Lichs, Commanders, and Keepers,
This is our last major patch prior to Reforged. In addition to sweeping enhancements to World Editor, it contains major updates to the rendering technology, and we've been making significant server patches in parallel.
Progress isn't without its compromises. The team did their damnedest to get Arranged Teams working within the legacy system. We've made strides to that end, but were unhappy with the experience. We decided it was more important to get this behemoth of a patch out the door then continue to delay. That means AT will return with Reforged, not before.
We deeply appreciate those of you playing on ladder, in custom games, and creating new maps. One day we'll look back at these moments in the crucible of change ruefully, but until then your passion fuels us. The march toward Reforged continues.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm soooo looking forward to Reforged and hope to have an Ultrawide by then. That would blow my inner child's mind.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Meanwhile Blizzard keeps breaking as much as stuff as they are fixing with each patch. But that's part of the progress I guess. Remastering a game while thousands are still playing must be stressful.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Uh, how do you get the original game to show up in the battle.net launcher? I only have WC3 reforged showing there.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Meanwhile Blizzard keeps breaking as much as stuff as they are fixing with each patch. But that's part of the progress I guess. Remastering a game while thousands are still playing must be stressful.

Not really a fan of them trying to keep compatibility between the two games. Just move on, it's been 17+ years! :)
No need to be held back by the chains of the past after so long.

Uh, how do you get the original game to show up in the battle.net launcher? I only have WC3 reforged showing there.

You can't. You have to manually download it via the battle.net website.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Not really a fan of them trying to keep compatibility between the two games. Just move on, it's been 17+ years! :)

I have a clan of 100 people on Warcraft 3, I'm sure many of them won't buy Reforged. Splitting a small community isn't a nice thing to do.
The game has a lot of players in China. Don't expect those to flock to Reforged the day it launches. So this keeps the game healthy.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The game has a new launcher, but you can't launch the game from the Battle.net launcher yet.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I have a clan of 100 people on Warcraft 3, I'm sure many of them won't buy Reforged. Splitting a small community isn't a nice thing to do.
The game has a lot of players in China. Don't expect those to flock to Reforged the day it launches. So this keeps the game healthy.

Come on, the game is 17+ years old. 17! :D Single people that played it back in the days now have kids who are in high school.
That's a VERY LOOOOOOOOOONG time. :D

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Come on, the game is 17+ years old. 17! :D Single people that played it back in the days now have kids who are in high school.

So..? It still has a very active community of which the majority are from China. If they don't want to support their loyal fanbase they should just make a new game.

If you change the engine of Warcraft 3, you change the core of the game. If you don't support your current community, your game is DOA.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
So obviously I see that the world editor is still a thing and even added onto with the upcoming release of Reforged, but how will the actual custom game lobby system work in Reforged? Has this been explained?

I ask since a system like how it was in the original would be best imo - you choose a map, you name the lobby and set rules, etc., and folks can download and join. If they go for a system like Starcraft 2 had then the custom game mode scene is dead in the water as far as I am concerned. It just didn't work.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So obviously I see that the world editor is still a thing and even added onto with the upcoming release of Reforged, but how will the actual custom game lobby system work in Reforged? Has this been explained?

I ask since a system like how it was in the original would be best imo - you choose a map, you name the lobby and set rules, etc., and folks can download and join. If they go for a system like Starcraft 2 had then the custom game mode scene is dead in the water as far as I am concerned. It just didn't work.

The map making community is afraid they'll chose for the second option. But they haven't stated this yet. They have made changes to the custom game lobbies in the current version. Hostbots are no longer available, but users can now all host (since it's hosted in the cloud, while it was hosted peer to peer before) and it's cross region.

All the matchmaking and stuff like this is all a big questionmark. They've done feedback rounds for different systems. So we'll have to see what they choose.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
So many changes. The meta is going to be completely different again, and Moon is going to keep dominating, of course. Love. It.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only concern with Reforged is that they are changing narrative elements, supposedly mostly expansion on plot threads, but damn do I not trust anyone but the original designers to mess with the campaign(s).

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Really can't wait, as someone who has played competitive SC2 for like a decade now I'm so eager to try competitive WC3.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've pre-ordered Reforged, but there's a big chance I'll just play with the classic graphics. I'm so used to them.

Pre-ordered it to show my support for Blizzard Classic doing this. But the old graphics are so iconic. And I just recognize everything immediately. With new graphics I'll have to learn that again.. haha.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when the fuck is reforged coming out

halo 2 pc and reforged need to take over my summer and make me relive my early teen years, i can't wait.

Zoator

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of my most anticipated releases of the year. I wonder how much of a resurgence Reforged will provide for the WC3 player base. I'm excited to jump back into the World Editor again.

Oct 25, 2017
Closer to release than we thought, perhaps. After the WoW Classic launch date was announced for August, I was beginning to wonder whether Reforged would meet its original summer target (and I still have doubts). The Wintermaul scene can't come back soon enough; it's crazy to think that the entire commercial TD scene on Flash, mobile, and PC all came after the glory days of WC3, and hasn't managed to replicate the WC3 co-op TD experience in all that time.

I probably won't get in on Reforged right at launch (not in a summer occupied by Mario Maker and Fire Emblem), but I'm eager to take a crack at properly learning the base multiplayer game at last, after finally getting the hang of 1v1 RTS the way it was meant to be played in SC2. I've made a few attempts at this previously, but a resurgent casual base for WC3 will definitely help.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Closer to release than we thought, perhaps. After the WoW Classic launch date was announced for August, I was beginning to wonder whether Reforged would meet its original summer target (and I still have doubts). The Wintermaul scene can't come back soon enough; it's crazy to think that the entire commercial TD scene on Flash, mobile, and PC all came after the glory days of WC3, and hasn't managed to replicate the WC3 co-op TD experience in all that time.

I probably won't get in on Reforged right at launch (not in a summer occupied by Mario Maker and Fire Emblem), but I'm eager to take a crack at properly learning the base multiplayer game at last, after finally getting the hang of 1v1 RTS the way it was meant to be played in SC2. I've made a few attempts at this previously, but a resurgent casual base for WC3 will definitely help.

Summer was never stated tho, just '2019'

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This is why you work at Dice instead of Blizzard...

Seriously though, Blizzard has done a lot of crappy moves lately, but we should be praising them for this. How many other developers are still active supporting a game this old and older with online servers they are still hosting, as well as content and balance patches?

Yeah if you want the upgraded graphics, you have to pay for them but that is a tiny price to pay since Reforged pretty much commits blizz to another 20 years of support in some way or another.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Still bummed that they're going to retcon aspects of WC3's lore to accommodate WoW's abysmal story decisions.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Are they redoing the terrain? It looked like shit in the reveal trailer

It's so stupid that they spent all this time just trying to make ancient ass WC3 still work

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can't. You have to manually download it via the battle.net website.

If they can make it work BW, they can do it with WC3.

Oct 27, 2017
This is why you work at Dice instead of Blizzard...

Seriously though, Blizzard has done a lot of crappy moves lately, but we should be praising them for this. How many other developers are still active supporting a game this old and older with online servers they are still hosting, as well as content and balance patches?

Yeah if you want the upgraded graphics, you have to pay for them but that is a tiny price to pay since Reforged pretty much commits blizz to another 20 years of support in some way or another.

Let's not forget that Blizzard made the ultimate crappy decision in the first place by abandoning one of their prime RTS series completely in favor of an MMO...

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Happy to wait for Reforged. Thought they did a great job with Starcraft Remastered, so hoping for the same treatment.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I am so hyped for Reforged but weary. I have a bad feeling they'll screw something up, such as the custom map support. That's the biggest thing my buddies and I are all looking forward to, WC3 custom maps consumed hundreds of hours of my life. Breathing fresh air into that side of the game will be incredible, but unless it's implemented just like the original I have my concerns.

Can't wait to see more of it, feels like they've been radio silent since the announcement.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hopefully they won't touch the sounds in remastered. From the menus to the units, those are very iconic to me.

Looking forward to Reforged, might be there day 1 if it turns out really good!

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Had no idea they were implementing a new item for Undead, I launched the game this morning to play a game and there was a brand new item in the shop. I was wtf hah.

Like a lot of the changes, I did however mention two things I did not like. Not anything with balance but.. hotkey changes was not there, also, using dual display you could pre patch just push the windows key and still have the game running, and do a quick thing on the other display, now the game tabs down and that's annoying as heck!

Oct 25, 2017
I never played 3, nor have I ever touched WoW.

But I loved 2.

What were the so-called 'changes to make things more in line' with WoW?

I might have imagined it but I thought I remembered seeing that somewhere.

I suspected it's only plot and story details.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I never played 3, nor have I ever touched WoW.

But I loved 2.

What were the so-called 'changes to make things more in line' with WoW?

I might have imagined it but I thought I remembered seeing that somewhere.

I suspected it's only plot and story details.
We don't have all of the details on this, but one of the big examples is they redesigned a WC3 level to better match the design of the dungeon in WoW.