• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 9, 2018

"The action Blizzard took against the player was pretty appalling but not surprising," a longtime Blizzard employee told The Daily Beast. "Blizzard makes a lot of money in China, but now the company is in this awkward position where we can't abide by our values."

"I'm disappointed," another current Blizzard employee said. "We want people all over the world to play our games, but no action like this can be made with political neutrality." The employees spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of professional consequences.

Protesting Blizzard employees from multiple departments gathered at an iconic statue of an Orc warrior charging into battle in the center of the company's main campus in Irvine, California, starting around 10 a.m. Pacific Time. The demonstration's numbers fluctuated throughout the day, the two employees said, ranging from a dozen to 30, and the protesters departed sometime in the late afternoon. The protesters would have been visible to executive offices, which overlook the main plaza, the two employees said. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

New news, new thread.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I reslly wish most people just quits tbh... let Blizzard fall to ground for all I care. This will diffenitly teach other corporations to value human rights over short term money..

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I reslly wish most people just quits tbh... let Blizzard fall to ground for all I care. This will diffenitly teach other corporations to value human rights over short term money..
Problem is you have to also hope new folks don't take up jobs there. Blizzard is pretty desired as a studio to work for from what I hear sadly so I'd assume they'd have no problem just hiting back :(

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Problem is late stage capitalism and how fucked most people are if they just up and leave a.job, most can't afford to stand to a higher morals if it means they are on the streets.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the onus should be on individuals giving up their livelihoods, to be honest.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard is a garbage company. Might not even be worth it to work there if this is what the companies stance is.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Problem is you have to also hope new folks don't take up jobs there. Blizzard is pretty desired as a studio to work for from what I hear sadly so I'd assume they'd have no problem just hiting back :(
Truee ,but hiring back doesn't mean everything be good. There needs to be months worth of training and shit until they get back on their feet again if ever.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Forming a union would be the way to go. The vacuum of people simply quitting won't solve any long term issues since Blizzard still coasts on the reputation of old to get plenty of new hires.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To all those saying Blizcon will be interesting, I doubt it will be to the public eye. They know protests are going to happen and I'm sure they'll beef up security and check for signs or other forms of display of protest. Further I imagine the digital pass will have a delay to video on it so anyone speaking out of turn can be shut down to anyone not at the show.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Until blizzard makes this right i cant in good conscience continue to support them in any way. Its a shame I was looking forward to diablo 4 at some point.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many people are going to show up at Blizzcon dressed in Protester Mei costumes. I hope the attendees really let them have it. Spineless shits.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The best way to hurt this company for what they did is a combo of boycotts, protests, and social media awareness to rob them of good will and revenue over time. It isn't going to bankrupt them, but it will absolutely color their public reputation, something that naysayers conveniently refuse to address when called out on their "nothing will work so just shut up and stop talking about it" bullshit.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Good for the workers. Really hope it lasts til blizzcon, but I'm sure they'll be banning anyone showing up with pro-HK stuff.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Wish the protestors were more organized..A handful to 30 seems really small and they did not get media to come out...?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Awesome. I gotta ask my Blizzard buddies what the situation is like there. Especially the HS team.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I really would like gamers that play any of blizzard games online just don't log in or play online for like 3 days. Show Blizzard that their choices have consequences and we as gamers have power.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
To be honest, with the high quality of content they tend to put out, I'd imagine many other publishers and developers would love to have them on board.
Kinda.
Larger developers and publishers tend to hire in very specialized roles. But from my experience, larger developers and publishers can also slack on hire quality control due to the sheer need for manpower. The combination means it can be easy to get interviews, but difficult to find a new job.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm really glad some people are standing up. There needs to be a change.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
question does blizzard cancel blizzcon, or atleast the live stream? it will be a media/hot bed of pro Hong Kong protest?