• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I can't fucking imagine what it has to be like walking into work on a day like today. Hope everyone affected ultimately lands on their feet.

Nov 1, 2017
now you're moving the goalposts by talking about occupational hazards. originally we were only talking about getting fired/released

my original point is very simple so please read for just two seconds --

all I'm saying is that even in businesses where there are employee unions, those employees can still get fired. being part of a union does not literally guarantee you keep that job forever

that's all I'm saying. someone (not sure if it was you) was implying that unions mean you can never get fired

Fair enough so it's possible I came in the middle of a conversation and replied to you. I certainly wasn't implying that union = never fired.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had a feeling this would happen when the Blizzard-Activision merger was announced.

It pains me as Blizzard used to be one of my favorite video game developers and seeing them go down the corporate hellhole is sad.
I mean the merger happened in 2008... 11 years ago

I hope you don't feel some vindication or like nostradamus, because they were fine for many years. were you complaining for the first several years after 2008?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How can you have some of the biggest IPs in not only modern gaming, but gaming history and fuck up so bad?

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to keep happening until the industry workfoce unionizes. This is unchecked capitalism working as intended.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Eh, hot take maybe, but Blizzard has been a bloated, bureaucratic mess for years and a few departments/products have had nothing to show for it. This was bound to happen.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Absolutely insane how Blizzard of all companies is not considered profitable enough to pay it's damn employees.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
If you are suggesting that I'm implying "fake news" - you are completely misunderstanding my post. I'm implying that people should hold journalists to a higher standard.

I don't know how you could have interpreted my post as anti-ethical journalism.

2014 is that way

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I mean the merger happened in 2008... 11 years ago

I hope you don't feel some vindication or like nostradamus, because they were fine for many years. were you complaining for the first several years after 2008?
all i recall is saying 'uh-oh' when i read the news

coincidentally, Blizzard's output has been progressively getting worse since then

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At least we can rest easy knowing the CEO will be alright with the millions upon millions shoved up his ass.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Man wtf is happening over activision blizzard that things got this dire

I don't think numbers will be that terrible, but when you compare higher management's wages (plus bonuses and all that jazz) to what developers are making (in average), they prefer to simply let people go to improve the bottom margin instead of actually moderating their salaries.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
How can you have some of the biggest IPs in not only modern gaming, but gaming history and fuck up so bad?
Spending way too much money elsewhere.

In unrelated news
Hope everyone lands somewhere safe. :(
This is horrible.
Also.
TmwLoZD.png

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
But at least the CFO got his 15 million signing bonus. Lets stay focused on the feel good stories.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, hot take maybe, but Blizzard has been a bloated, bureaucratic mess for years and a few departments/products have had nothing to show for it. This was bound to happen.
Sure, but you can communicate this to the employees to give them time to get another job, not torture them by not speaking amidst tons of layoffs rumors.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A guy who continues to demonstrate he doesn't understand even the most basic concepts of journalism trying to go in on someone like this is just hilarious.

Christ's sake. It's absolutely worthless with you lot once the cogs start rolling.

I'm not suggesting he's lying and I understand the concepts that have been quoted/linked to me 30 times over perfectly well (well, not the claims that I'm a facist of some sort). Nevermind - I don't need to explain myself if you've all made up your mind.

I'm assuming if another journalist came forward with conflicting reports to Schreier and also said they had "a source" - you would all just have a breakdown?

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
Hopefully everyone lands on their feet and Blizzard doesn't kick them out with nothing. Hopefully a severance and insurance for a couple months will be given at the very least.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
all i recall is saying 'uh-oh' when i read the news

coincidentally, Blizzard's output has been progressively getting worse since then
recently, I would agree

but I do not agree for right after 2008

Wrath of the Lich King was released after the merger. the majority of WoW players still think that's the best expansion

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you go balls deep into the overwatch league only to cut funding and layoff staff in your second season...

This is why developers should not be running e sports leagues...

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I really hope Acti gets some sort of backlash for this. Even if it is a small backlash. Anything.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
That's the sad thing, they have not fuck up. We live in a society were you can earn billions of dollars, but won't be enough if investors don't see at least a kajillion dollars. Acti-Blizzard is a succesful company, making so much money, but is never gonna be enough, so the next best thing to earn "profits"? Let's fire all the people while keeping the CEO's pockets full of money. Hooray for capitalism.

Jesus, sorry for the rant, I'm right now both so angry and depressed at the state of all this crap.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Sure, but you can communicate this to the employees to give them time to get another job, not torture them by not speaking amidst tons of layoffs rumors.
To play devil's advocate here, there are usually decent reasons not to announce layoffs as soon as rumors leak. Figuring out exactly who is going to be laid off, what severance they're going to give, etc. And you usually don't keep people with any kind of access on the job after the layoff is announced because of the very real fear of reprisal (which some are advocating in this very thread).

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christ's sake. It's absolutely worthless with you lot once the cogs start rolling.

I'm not suggesting he's lying and I understand the concepts that have been quoted/linked to me 30 times over perfectly well (well, not the claims that I'm a facist of some sort). Nevermind - I don't need to explain myself if you've all made up your mind.

I'm assuming if another journalist came forward with conflicting reports to Schreier and also said they had "a source" - you would all just have a breakdown?

You really don't understand the concept of credibility and trust built over time do you?

Christ, just leave and stop derailing the thread with your conspiracy ramblings.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A cold reminder that as much as we enjoy games, there's a human cost to our enjoyment.

People work HARD, even on games that don't turn out great. Days, months, years of talent, support, and community that a single "not amazing" financial quarter can discard to try and save face while the guys at the top shuffle and discard employees like poker cards.

Someone was there, handling toxic gamer feedback on the other line. Someone was there, staying up late trying to code out a bad bug someone found. Someone was there, trying to organize events and help make them as awesome as they could be.

I don't know any of them personally, but I sincerely hope they land on their feet. Hoping for the best outcome, all things considered.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That's somewhat fair, it's been 7 years since Diablo 3 launched & there isn't a Diablo 4, because they restarted the project 5 times or something, but when CFO's get 15mil in stocks & 100's of people get fired, it's harder to blame the devs.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
tbh, i felt that Acti making big changes was inevitable after Titan felt apart and diablo 4 was rebooted like 4 times

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
If you are suggesting that I'm implying "fake news" - you are completely misunderstanding my post. I'm implying that people should hold journalists to a higher standard.

I don't know how you could have interpreted my post as anti-ethical journalism.

It is clear that you have no understanding of how journalism actually works. I'm not sure why you continue to push this narrative about some sort of higher standard or quibbling over a single "source". You don't seem to understand how sourcing works, how credibility works, or clearly any other basic practices relating to journalism and journalism ethics. Rather than continue to make a fool of yourself, I'd encourage you to get educated on how journalism works. ZhugeEX already linked you a helpful article to get you started.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

The article said the layoffs are largely going to affect people in publishing and esports.
Those are areas that can be vulnerable even with efficient exploitation of popular IPs.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Because its the fault of people who are being layed off that the stock is tanking right? Blizzard has been badly mismanaged. The stock price reflects that.

Activision will layoff some very hard-working people, its completely unfair, because this failure at Blizzard has nothing to do with them. Activision is destroying Blizzard in the name of unrelenting greed. Its not wrong to hope that they aren't rewarded for that mindset.

I don't think anyone was happy that layoffs were imminent, would be callous in the extreme. But I do hope some rich prick wont be able buy himself another boat after laying off hundreds.

Do you really think anyone is happy about people getting layed off?

Bobby Kotick is definitely happy about laying people off. If he could fire everyone and make all the money he would be happier, though of course without people of actual value providing a product he'd be exposed as the worthless piece of crap that he is, so at least some form of cover is useful.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This is not the fuck-up. This is the fix.
The fuck-up happened years ago, cumulatively, when Blizzard started to bloat into an unnavigable bureaucracy whose only solution to its problems was to hire and spend. In this period, it managed to not only destroy its own storied franchises, but hemorrhage talent to competitors, while taking on way too much junior staff that languished on ailing projects.

So really, this was inevitable and needed, from what I've heard.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely insane how Blizzard of all companies is not considered profitable enough to pay it's damn employees.

That is not the point. No matter how much profits you make one year. You are expected to top it the next year, that is the problem with capitalism. They are not struggling for money but they need more profit. So if they make 15 millions last year and they make 10 million then that is a failure and the stocks drop.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

He ended up being correct... Maybe save this spiel for someone who gets the story wrong?

g23

Oct 27, 2017
That's the sad thing, they have not fuck up. We live in a society were you can earn billions of dollars, but won't be enough if investors don't see at least a kajillion dollars. Acti-Blizzard is a succesful company, making so much money, but is never gonna be enough, so the next best thing to earn "profits"? Let's fire all the people while keeping the CEO's pockets full of money. Hooray for capitalism.

Jesus, sorry for the rant, I'm right now both so angry and depressed at the state of all this crap.

Seriously...this is just some demented shit. Fuck billionaires.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
recently, I would agree

but I do not agree for right after 2008

Wrath of the Lich King was released after the merger. the majority of WoW players still think that's the best expansion
That particular expansion was being developed before the merger I'm pretty sure.
WotLK and BC were my favorite expansions as a WoW player, but after the last couple patches for WotLK the content kept getting worse (the notable exception being MoP, which I thought was good for the most part). and now I honestly find the game unplayable and there's little incentive to go back to it. Never cared much for Hearthstone and Overwatch, and StarCraft and Diablo have kind of been flatlining.

What I'm trying to say is that Blizzard feels a lot more profit-oriented now and less focused on quality content than it did before, and I'm pretty sure the merger played a huge part in that.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Severance is temporary, and doesn't alleviate the emotional cost of being laid off and the panic necessary to look for a new job. (esp if you have a family / need health insurance outside of COBRA)
I'm not sure what alleviates that besides being guaranteed a job in perpetuity no matter how you perform.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
You really don't understand the concept of credibility and trust built over time do you?

Christ, just leave and stop derailing the thread with your conspiracy ramblings.
"People are not allowed to have/express feelings amidst their unavoidable firing, since this happens all the time in every single business, ya know?"