• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks shit. Fuckin' Activision. Why even acquire a studio like Blizzard that CLEARLY doesn't fit your model of annualized horseshit?

Sigh. Damn.

Bootador

Oct 27, 2017
I love Blizzard but the cold facts are, if you take away WoW, do they make money?

HOTS obv didn't, Hearthstone probably does, Overwatch probably doesn't if you factor in Titan dev time.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if these good people were properly compensated when Blizzard was making mint?

I hope that they all land on their feet.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Man, I hope that having Blizzard on your resume really has impact to wherever they are sending them.

They are in a very tough spot. They have single-handedly destroyed some of their most precious games based on poor design decisions and is sleeping with a greedy publisher that mostly cares about money. It feels like, this is it for the Blizzard I once knew and loved.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching a poll regarding Unionization in the gaming industry and the percentage of people in favor of it was way lower than should be.

How many more of these stories needs to happen until the whole industry workforce fights for it?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official esports always seemed weird to me.

Shareholders loved the idea for a few years there as it was a new buzzword but I personally never saw how a company would make any worthwhile money doing it.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking insane that a company as popular as Blizzard, in both metacritic and revenue. A company that made the most profitable game of all time and others in the tens of millions sold, gets slammed with massive layoffs.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
If the new CFO hadn't gotten that massive offer just a month ago I would be saying the same as some here, that this stuff happens all the time BUT it feels extra disgusting because of the CFO's package. Blizzard is a hell of a thing to have on your resume so I hope the workers, who were sacrificed for massive executive payouts, find themselves in good jobs.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are in a very tough spot. They have single-handedly destroyed some of their most precious games based on poor design decisions and is sleeping with a greedy publisher that mostly cares about money. It feels like, this is it for the Blizzard I once knew and loved.

Honestly? The Blizzard we once knew and loved died awhile ago. This is finally the reaction to that.

Activision stayed away from meddling with Blizzard as long as they made money. But WoW stagnation, no Titan and really no other game on the horizon, now they are sinking their claws in.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's unfortunate that they have more than enough money to pay all their employees and won't but that's how it is

Hopefully, some of these devs can branch out and do something on their own. I know it's scary to not be part of a legendary team like Blizzard but these people are talented and can make some badass stuff on their own surely

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought of all devs Blizzard would be one that is immune. How the mighty has fallen.

Typical Activision running it into the ground.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to hear the thoughts of those posters who were happy to hear Activision's stock was tanking and that layoffs would be imminent.
It's disgusting. People need to realize what is an annoyance to them that they can easily ignore is a lifeline for others. Even after devs commented on it making them not want to be here some jeot going and doubling down.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard has partnered with NetEase since 2008.

These job cuts have nothing to do with China or Blizzard targeting the China market.

I think it is trendy to just blame everything on China now. Just look at the mobs on Reddit due to the Tencent deal...

Tencent also owns 5% of Tesla, what are Reddit gonna do about it!? LOL.

Jan 22, 2019
User Banned (permanent): Trolling; account still in junior phase
You cannot seriously be upset that someone working in "ESports" doesn't have a job anymore.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's about time Blizzard's "goodwill" runs out as the studio most people go "But I had amazing fun playing Diablo 2 and World of Warcraft!".

They have transferred into another carbon copy of everything wrong with the top layer of the games industry.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Interesting how Activision fell from the powerhouse and best big publisher to the biggest problem child.

Right now EA, Ubisoft and TakeTwo are all in better shape. Especially looking at long term future.
I cut out Bethesda here, because they're not publicly traded.

Hope everyone lands somewhere safe. :(

This is horrible.

Also.

TmwLoZD.png
300 times is pretty normal tho.

Average for S&P 500 CEOs is between 350 and 400 times the median employee depending on the year you look up that data.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Why does Jason Schreier never have a single source?

Even in his articles, it's always "according to one person", "speaking with someone familiar with the company"... etc.
Because the gaming industry and gaming fandom fucking suck and people who speak out against the beloved corporations will get attacked by both in different ways.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Thats a crushing image they really must had loved working there :'^( wish them good luck
oh no

Best of luck to all the fine people who are about to hit the unemployment line. Hope those resumes are up to date.
They are more than prepared to get any job they want, psychological struggle is what really matters here don't 'worry' about their resumes

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Official esports always seemed weird to me.

Shareholders loved the idea for a few years there as it was a new buzzword but I personally never saw how a company would make any worthwhile money doing it.
Sponsors tend to make it worthwhile.

That and the devs justify it because strong competition encourages a thriving playerbase. I come from Rocket League esports (semi pro/top 50 NA/teamed with 2 top players right now by pure luck) and RLCS definitely encourages the playerbase to play more which is worth it because money. Esports can generate money via both sponsors and encouraging people to play more (which contributes to sales, crate/dlc sales, and battle pass sales)

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Let's say there was a super powerful union in place, and all of these esports and publishing jobs (according to the report) had to be kept. That's good for them short term, but what happens to the company (which affects their livelihood and those of others longer term)?

Oct 28, 2017
Bobby Kotick made $29 million dollars last year.

Over 300 times the median wage at his company.

And you wonder why some people in our society just completely break down, crack, and hit a point of no return.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Because profits in the multimillions aren't enough to ensures jobs. Seriously, fuck these megacorporations.... and we got assholes on this very forum and social media that defend everything that these big companies do... Fuck!

Hope everyone lands on their feets and find better companies. My heart seriously goes out to them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Sucks for the affected people, hope they find a new job soon. I thought Overwatch did very well and am a bit surprised by this.