• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
My heart goes out to those that are in that situation, I hope they can get back on their feet soon enough. I was interviewed a few times at the Activision HQ last summer, I didn't get the job and I'm glad I didn't, based on how its looking right now.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez that's brutal. I hope everyone lands on their feet. The games industry is such a rough place for job stability.

Mentioning that the esport department might have cuts is surprising. I thought their esport division, especially OWL, did quite well for them.

OWL did well, I imagine they're gonna make cuts to every other eSports venture and focus on OWL and maybe COD only?

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Why does Jason Schreier never have a single source?

Even in his articles, it's always "according to one person", "speaking with someone familiar with the company"... etc.

Someone who might literally be looking for work this afternoon probably doesn't want to be known by name as someone who talks to journalists.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
If you had asked me in 2000's if Blizzard would one day be in this situation, i would've laughed at you. WTF happened, fucking activision.

How did Bungie managed to set themselves free while Blizzard is stuck in this mess?

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must admit I've never got into any Blizzard games, but this still feels like a huge loss. I'm sure the folks will land on their feet, but my thoughts are out to them.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
So awful. Imagine being at work, crying nonstop, not knowing whether you'll have a job at the end of the day. Hope those that do get laid off find work
real soon. GL out there.

Feb 26, 2018
What are they waiting for? Why wont they just leave Blizzard on their own terms and start searching for a better place than that shithole that treats them like this

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

Even in his articles, it's always "according to one person", "speaking with someone familiar with the company"... etc.

You do realize those are sources, yes? He isn't going to cite and say, "Mary Elizabeth William, who works as a developer on Diablo 5, has told me..." No journalist does this, for reasons that should be obvious to you.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

You are aware how journalism works? For a lot of stories, you rarely mention who your sources are unless they consent to being mentioned.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Who knows what's gonna happen next... Warcraft is at his knees so much that they went ahead to remake WC3...

Overwatch is stable and who knows about Diablo after the mobile scandal...

I don't know man this ain't the Blizzard that made the giant that killed Ultima Online

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder where their biggest losses were from? Heroes going under, and I think I heard that Overwatch is slowing down... Hearthstone and WoW subs not doing well?

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
What's going on with esports at Blizzard? Will that still be a core part of their business or are the backing out of that space?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

are you for real? You really can't figure out why they hide their identities?

Jason has an excellent rack record btw so I'll believe him always.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jeez that's brutal. I hope everyone lands on their feet. The games industry is such a rough place for job stability.

Mentioning that the esport department might have cuts is surprising. I thought their esport division, especially OWL, did quite well for them.
the HOTS esports division was a horrible ROI. I completely understood when they axed that, that game just did not take off and certainly not in esports viewership

But I don't know if they already cut those HOTS esports employees a few months ago, or if they will be part of today's cut

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This really sucks for those involved. Everyone is bringing up the CEO's bonus, which is also ridiculous, but I'm also extremely skeptical of everything going on now that Blizzard is partnered with NetEase. All of this happening right off the heels of these developments + the Diablo Immortal controversy just makes me really skeptical of other companies with Tencent and NetEase partnerships, as these shifts in market focus also probably come with some hefty leadership changes and investor goal changes. I'd assume there's a fair amount of jobs cut due to the roles taken on overseas, but I might be wrong about that.

Hope the best for everyone who has been laid off.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of friends at Blizzard, even got agonizingly close to getting hired once. It hurts so much to know that they're all at risk.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to hear the thoughts of those posters who were happy to hear Activision's stock was tanking and that layoffs would be imminent.
I'll bite. Gaming company stocks have by-and-large been a bubble and Activision's popped. The unsustainable growth of MTX and other less-savory business practices set unrealistic expectations for earnings. As somebody who invests in numerous tech (and gaming) stocks, I feel that market corrections aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Also, a stock price drop doesn't immediately change the cash flows of an organization. It puts pressure on the executive teams to make change, lest they be outed by the board. Activision is using this as an excuse to further gut and assimilate Blizzard. The company has a variety of options to cut costs without engaging in so many layoffs. There is no hypocrisy in loathing Activision as an entity while sympathizing with the development teams who have no say over the company's business strategy.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They shouldn't be. They should be fucking pissed. They should unionize. I don't care if it happens in other industries, the entire system is sick and needs to be eliminated. There's no way Acti-Blizz aren't profitable. They just didn't make enough profit, so now they fuck over all of those at the bottom that made them any profit to begin with while the CEO who does little to fuck all makes an obscene amount.

Capitalism is a mistake.

My hearts go out to every soul about to be effected by this. You don't deserve it. You deserve better.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Hope everyone lands somewhere safe. :(

This is horrible.

Also.

TmwLoZD.png
I'm certain that he did 306 times the work.

/Billionaire logic

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A deal with Activision is a deal with the devil. So many talented people are about to be out of a job because of shareholder expectations. Hope they all land on their feet, and soon.

Do you understand how journalism works? He doesn't get the inside information he does if he has to reveal names. Considering his excellent track record, if he's putting something out there then it's very likely to be true. I can't remeber the last time he was dead wrong about something.

Take the fake news dog whistle somewhere that might want to hear it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think the post about the source was more asking why he only has one source instead of asking why the source is anonymous. Should be an easy enough thing to verify with multiple sources.

If you had asked me in 2000's if Blizzard would one day be in this situation, i would've laughed at you. WTF happened, fucking activision.

How did Bungie managed to set themselves free while Blizzard is stuck in this mess?

Blizzard is Activision though. Is the blame all on Activision? I understand Blizzard is beloved but for a long time they were left alone, and the WOW money wasn't going to last forever. Do people really think Activision leadership was somehow stunting their growth?

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This really sucks for those involved. Everyone is bringing up the CEO's bonus, which is also ridiculous, but I'm also extremely skeptical of everything going on now that Blizzard is partnered with NetEase. All of this happening right off the heels of these developments + the Diablo Immortal controversy just makes me really skeptical of other companies with Tencent and NetEase partnerships, as these shifts in market focus also probably come with some hefty leadership changes and investor goal changes. I'd assume there's a fair amount of jobs cut due to the roles taken on overseas, but I might be wrong about that.

I wonder if theyre focusing on free to play/games as a service stuff now so they can make less games and earn more money. Would require less employees too.

Schaffa

Oct 29, 2017
I would love to hear the thoughts of those posters who were happy to hear Activision's stock was tanking and that layoffs would be imminent.

Because its the fault of people who are being layed off that the stock is tanking right? Blizzard has been badly mismanaged. The stock price reflects that.

Activision will layoff some very hard-working people, its completely unfair, because this failure at Blizzard has nothing to do with them. Activision is destroying Blizzard in the name of unrelenting greed. Its not wrong to hope that they aren't rewarded for that mindset.

I don't think anyone was happy that layoffs were imminent, would be callous in the extreme. But I do hope some rich prick wont be able buy himself another boat after laying off hundreds.

Do you really think anyone is happy about people getting layed off?

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Imagine working for one of the most successfull game companies ever and ending up in this clusterfuck of a situation.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Blizzard has partnered with NetEase since 2008.

These job cuts have nothing to do with China or Blizzard targeting the China market.