• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Has this been posted yet?
Odz56sp.jpg

Someone turned Mei (Overwatch) in a pro-Hong Kong symbol.

We've got a thread going. Please feel welcome to add anything you find.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That never happened, live ammo was only used when a protester was attacking a police man with a metal bat.

I get the anger about this situation, but lying to solidify a position is a step too far.

So rather than use rubber bullets, which have been used in the past, they use live ammo to shoot and potentially kill a protestor because a policeman got hit by a metal bat when he has full body gear on?

This is the hill you die on?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
OK we can agree that he was attacking the police man with a metal 'object' you can see from the footage that it definitely was not just an umbrella. I'm very sorry that the facts of this specific situation are getting in the way of your protest

The police were using metal 'objects' on the protesters too, I guess that's ok though? You were not stating a fact so I corrected you. Again looking at your posts it seems like you have a very obvious agenda/bias so I think it would be better for yourself if you come out with your reasons for defending China at every chance you get.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Who is repressing an American company.
I'm not sure that's how it works when it comes to Chinese branches of American companies. Not that it makes it right or anything, but I don't ever expect a Chinese subsidiary to openly go against the will of the Chinese Government. At least I haven't seen it. Not sure what would happen if they did.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
OK we can agree that he was attacking the police man with a metal 'object' you can see from the footage that it definitely was not just an umbrella. I'm very sorry that the facts of this specific situation are getting in the way of your protest
You have to be more subtle man, not starting to lick the boot immediately.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People know this came from a Chinese employee in China, right?

It's still Blizzard. They still have agreed upon communication policies regarding talking about Hong Kong and how to address the protests. Doesn't matter if it came from China or Canada. The message is the same. They don't fucking care.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Ooof, the rest of the company must not be very happy about this PR disaster.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Has this been posted yet?
Odz56sp.jpg

Someone turned Mei (Overwatch) in a pro-Hong Kong symbol.

They are sharing it everywhere in hopes the Chinese government notices and bans Overwatch in China. Mods on r/overwatch deleted the image when it was shared even though it didn't break any rules.
I expect to see lots of Mei cosplayers at Blizz-con.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
People know this came from a Chinese employee in China, right?

Nintendo of America is still Nintendo. If they say something we usually say Nintendo said it. Same with Sony UK. Microsoft Europe.

Different regions does not make anyone are a lesser part of company... and in this case the US based PR is totally silent

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
So rather than use rubber bullets, which have been used in the past, they use live ammo to shoot and potentially kill a protestor because a policeman got hit by a metal bat when he has full body gear on?

This is the hill you die on?

I'm not justifying the action taken, I'm just against the spread of disinformation, any arguments based on falsehoods are invalid and fail to hold up. So when we discuss these very serious issues we should be careful to not forget the facts of what we're discussing.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
They are sharing it everywhere in hopes the Chinese government notices and bans Overwatch in China. Mods on r/overwatch deleted the image when it was shared even though it didn't break any rules.
I expect to see lots of Mei cosplayers at Blizz-con.

Tencent invested a lot of money on reddit recently. No wonder they're censoring stuff

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell, "pride of our country", this is straight up propaganda. For fucks sake, Blizzard...

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Fuck Blizzard. Hong Kong people has benefitted from a democratic rule when the other billion Chinese were under oppressive regimes for a century. They are NOT one country.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Nintendo of America is sill Nintendo. If they say something we usually say Nintendo said it. Samr with Sony UK. Microsoft Europe.

Different regions do not main they are a lessr part of company

Depends on how their reporting structure in the company is set up, that may very well be part of the problem. That they all have an equal say. It is possible that, for example, Blizzard US, EU, and CH (I think that is the China short name?) are fully independent. Haven't worked for them, but it is possible.

I cannot imagine people in the US or EU being very happy about this situation right now. Especially people on the Hearthstone team that probably had nothing to do with this whole situation.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder how it must feel to work for a company that doesn't care about basic human rights. Not good I assume.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Tencent invested a lot of money on reddit recently. No wonder they're censoring stuff
Yes, but redditors hate the Chinese government. Lots of anti-chinese posts reached r/all when Tencent invested money on Reddit but they weren't deleted. I think r/overwatch mods must be paid Blizzard employees. I saw one mod quit r/hearthstone over this debacle.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was to be expected the Blizzard China would say this, I think that openly criticizing the Chinese government would be pretty dangerous for them. It's the US branch that should really do more against this.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Honestly at this point Activision Blizzard had their chance to release a meaningful statement. After the Chinese branch spoke on the behalf of the company, I don't think there's any way to redeem themselves - except by actively cutting their ties with the PRC and releasing a pro Hongkong message... which they will never do because they're cowards.

Looking at Twitter, the backlash is already biting them hard in the ass.

twofive

Oct 27, 2017
It does not change much coming from Blizzard China instead of Blizzard themselves with their silence.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the funny thing is, had they done nothing, nobody would even know about the "incident" (the player's shout out to HK I mean)

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I find the surprised reactions to this a bit strange. Welcome to (global) capitalism. Corporations want that 🇹🇷💵💵of the fast growing Chinese middle class.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
It was to be expected the Blizzard China would say this, I think that openly criticizing the Chinese government would be pretty dangerous for them. It's the US branch that should really do more against this.

Pretty much this, no one should expect anything different from the Chinese arm...of anything really. There is still plenty to be mad about but this statement should not surprise anyone.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This is honestly probably one of the worst things a video game publisher is doing if not THE worst.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ooof, the rest of the company must not be very happy about this PR disaster.

I imagine the morale is rock bottom for low level employees working on Blizzcon material right now, where Blizzcon is virtually guaranteed to severely stripped down or outright cancelled at this rate.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
There was a tweet someone posted in one of the other threads that showed at least some Blizzard employees aren't happy about this.

Of course there is, Blizzard is a company with thousands of employees spread across multiple countries. There are going to be plenty of people who aren't happy about this.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just out of curiosity, is "Fuck Blizzard" something all political divisions in the US can get behind? Or are some of them pro-Chinese atrocities for some terrible reason?