• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I knew this was going to happen at some point. I knew the minute Blizzard got in bed with Activision that it was going to have a negative impact on their culture as a company. So many people have left when you look at hearthstone, the guy who helped make that community great left. And I kind of know why now. They are just becoming what Activision is now.

Sounds like there's a shake up, and it hasn't gived well with some of the people in terms of the companay's direction.
What the fuck is this post lmao.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
maybe jason knows something? i think it's weird that there were stories of how the CFO was basically running things now at blizzard and was placed there by activision and now acti-blizz loses both. it feels like CFO's jumping ship and who better to know about financial stability at a company than CFOs?
Nah, there are tons of ex-Activision people at Blizzard now - it's not just one exec. And it's COO Armin Zerza who heads up publishing/finance/biz dev/etc.

I have no idea why Ahuja left, but her job was to balance the spreadsheet, and now someone else will come in and balance the spreadsheet. I wouldn't expect much to change in terms of cost-cutting, potential upcoming layoffs, etc.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the one who just moved from Activation to Blizzard recently, right?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
- Co-founder of Blizzard Mike Morhaime steps down after 27 years.
- Square has hired Amrita Ahuja as its new CFO, she is currently CFO at Blizzard Entertainment CFO for Blizzard since March 2018.
- Activision Blizzard fired Neuman on Monday, but said the firing was unrelated to the company's financial performance, Netflix plans to hire him.
- Blizzard is paying staff outside of development to leave.

This seriously looks like resistance from some people at the top having very different visions for the company. Sure business has a lot of this, but all of this is in a very short period of time.
For your third point. He was poached by Netflix. He didn't fall on Netflx's lap because he was fired. He was fired because Activision found out and fired him for cause. He was still under contract so they needed to fire him.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah, there are tons of ex-Activision people at Blizzard now - it's not just one exec. And it's COO Armin Zerza who heads up publishing/finance/biz dev/etc.

I have no idea why Ahuja left, but her job was to balance the spreadsheet, and now someone else will come in and balance the spreadsheet. I wouldn't expect much to change in terms of cost-cutting, potential upcoming layoffs, etc.
Anything juicy you know about Activision / Blizzard internally? Or any studios like IW/Treyarch?

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
- Square has hired Amrita Ahuja as its new CFO, she is currently CFO at Blizzard Entertainment CFO for Blizzard since March 2018.
- Activision Blizzard fired Neuman on Monday, but said the firing was unrelated to the company's financial performance, Netflix plans to hire him.

This seriously looks like resistance from some people at the top having very different visions for the company. Sure business has a lot of this, but all of this is in a very short period of time.

Yep, where there is smoke...

Could be victims of their previous success and Activision and the investors are raising the bar to a ridiculous standard and Activision wants their own people there.

Last edited:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Always a little surprising to see cross pollination of execs between gaming and tech.

Last one that stuck out for me was Cammie Dunaway from Yahoo to Nintendo. That E3 she was in was a glorious disaster.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Finance execs leaving is the first horseman. I'll be keeping my eye on Activision, and particularly Blizzard.

Oct 26, 2017

Not a good outlook.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

thanks for the response and clearing some things up for me

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
For your third point. He was poached by Netflix. He didn't fall on Netflx's lap because he was fired. He was fired because Activision found out and fired him for cause. He was still under contract so they needed to fire him.

Sure, but why was Netflix negotiating with him to begin with? I mean he might have been the one starting the talks with them due to unknown reasons. I'm making this sound like no one moves on to different companies which they do, I am just curious since all of these events are coming from the same company.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but why was Netflix negotiating with him to begin with? I mean he might have been the one starting the talks with them due to unknown reasons. I'm making this sound like no one moves on to different companies which they do, I am just curious since all of these events are coming from the same company.
He actually has ties to the current Netflix board and executive team. He worked with them before.

From the WSJ:

Before working for Activision Blizzard, Mr. Neumann held multiple positions at Walt Disney Co. in its theme-park and television divisions. He also had stints at private-equity firms Providence Equity Partners and Summit Partners.

At Netflix, Mr. Neumann will be reunited with several former Disney colleagues, including board member Anne Sweeney, who oversaw a large chunk of the company's television operations. Earlier in December, Netflix hired away longtime ABC programming executive Channing Dungey into a senior creative position.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix-hires-activision-cfo-11546317573?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=4

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I mean it can be as simple as Netflix thinks he's doing a good job and can hire him on with a bigger salary. That's most likely all it is.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it doesn't. I remember threads like these regarding moves at Sony and top talent leaving that company. Everyone moved on and it was nothing. And that was creative talent too. We put way too much stock on normal turnover. Executive turnover is becoming more and more frequent as well.

They're a publicly traded company. You can see their financials yourself right now. Quarterly reports and earnings will be reported in February.
well the stock aint doing so hot for acti-blizz right now but it seems more like a market correction than anything. and while it is a publicly traded company we only get quarterly results and we see them well after a CFO would. and 1 exec leaving is nothing, having so many execs and senior people leaving in the past year is the thing, it's just another thing on top of everything else going on right now. From my perpspective it's still a "hmm, is something going on with acti-blizz?" not "OMG Acti-Blizz is doomed!?"

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
He actually has ties to the current Netflix board executive team. He worked with them before:

From the WSJ:

Before working for Activision Blizzard, Mr. Neumann held multiple positions at Walt Disney Co. in its theme-park and television divisions. He also had stints at private-equity firms Providence Equity Partners and Summit Partners.

At Netflix, Mr. Neumann will be reunited with several former Disney colleagues, including board member Anne Sweeney, who oversaw a large chunk of the company's television operations. Earlier in December, Netflix hired away longtime ABC programming executive Channing Dungey into a senior creative position.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix-hires-activision-cfo-11546317573?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=4

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense then.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'll also say that the economy is firing off some serious warning signals. Activision is significantly more likely to be hurt by a recession than Netflix and Square.

Any smart executive is playing career chess to recession-proof themselves right now.

Oct 30, 2017
I know 2 guys who run engineering teams at Blizzard and everything is normal there. This is just C level people waiting for 401K/stock matching on 12/31 and them moving on after the fact to not lose tens of thousands.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
I mean it can be as simple as Netflix thinks he's doing a good job and can hire him on with a bigger salary. That's most likely all it is.

Problem was he was fired, if it was a simply a better job offer he would have left in the same way the overwalming majority of people do when they get a better job. They give their notice, serve out the notice period shake hands and move on.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Problem was he was fired, if it was a simply a better job offer he would have left in the same way the overwalming majority of people do when they get a better job. They give their notice, serve out the notice period shake hands and move on.

He was fired because Activision found out he was being poached. They didn't fire him and then he got into bed with Netflix.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Activision and Blizzard CFO's have left within a week. Nearly all of the original Blizzard people are gone.

Something is going on.
Blizzard is almost 30 years old of course it's original people are gone. Blizzard hasn't exactly been the company they where in the late 90s early 2000s so honestly Activision getting more internal control of the studio isn't going change much.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Off topic question, is it normal for such high executive jobs to switch between companies, instead of just promoting someone from inside the company?

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Can we have someone update the thread title to indicate this is the finance company and not Square Enix?

EDIT: Thank you! ^^

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Switching companies is almost always better if you want your pay to increase.
Yes, of course, but I meant more for the companies. Like, isn't it better to just promote someone from inside (a VP or whatever) instead of bidding for some outside who, yeah, has all the experience and whatever, but would be way way more expensive?

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
He was fired because Activision found out he was being poached. They didn't fire him and then he got into bed with Netflix.

You do not fire a CFO, or any other executives, because they are being poached, if you did this would be so common world wide nobody would take notice of it.

And seriously no company would want to fire a CFO days after the close of your 4th Quarter, it is one of the most critical dates of the financial year. The rumours this causes alone could tank your stock price, damage your credit rating - let alone all the chaos it would cause in getting the final accounts closed for they year.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Not that worrying of news. The CFO is just the head of finance, not creative decisions. Not much will change in that regard.

What I'm most worried about is the news of Activision pressuring Blizzard to sell a big title every year. Sounds like to me Activision wants the Blizzard equivalent of CoD.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
What the fuck is this post lmao.

Maybe you should read some more. There are some people who have left within the past year or so couple of whom were big with the community for Hearthstone among other games.

Like Diablo, some of the old leads talk about changes within the company. Seriously wtf kind of response was that? It's like you don't pay attention to things going on in the industry?

Here:

Here:

All that paints a certain picture of things changing internally leadership wise, and heavily influence to have Blizzard operate similarly to activison in how the company is run.

Activision has a release every year, now with games like crash/spyro/ctr they have more coming out each fiscal year. Blizzard is slower in their releases compared to that, but have a higher residual I would argue.

Now with them hyping up Diablo Immortal at a fan event shows how tone deaf they are, and that would be because of a lot of people who were part of the culture of blizzard have left or are in preperation to leaving/retiring.

Does not paint a great future for Blizzard and the community it has a close relationship with.

So I guess go ahead and have a knee jerk reaction without seeing whats been happening the past couple years.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe you should read some more. There are some people who have left within the past year or so couple of whom were big with the community for Hearthstone among other games.

Like Diablo, some of the old leads talk about changes within the company. Seriously wtf kind of response was that? It's like you don't pay attention to things going on in the industry?

Here:

Here:

All that paints a certain picture of things changing internally leadership wise, and heavily influence to have Blizzard operate similarly to activison in how the company is run.

Activision has a release every year, now with games like crash/spyro/ctr they have more coming out each fiscal year. Blizzard is slower in their releases compared to that, but have a higher residual I would argue.

Now with them hyping up Diablo Immortal at a fan event shows how tone deaf they are, and that would be because of a lot of people who were part of the culture of blizzard have left or are in preperation to leaving/retiring.

Does not paint a great future for Blizzard and the community it has a close relationship with.

So I guess go ahead and have a knee jerk reaction without seeing whats been happening the past couple years.

The knee jerk reaction is assuming Activision is going to turn Blizzard into a Husk by announcing that they are cost cutting. Blizzard wastes millions of dollars and years on rebooting games like Starcraft 2, Starcraft Ghosts, Diablo 3, Project Titan ect.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Activision-Blizzard manufactures soulless garbage, but Jack Dorsey is a piece of trash.

I have never chased money so hard as to waive my conscience, and I don't understand what kind of robotic person you'd have to be at your core to do so.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017

I thought she was the CFO brought on just last year to cut costs (from kotaku piece) so why would her departure be a sign of resistance when she was part of the the new plan?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
All gaming related stock is down. Check out ATVI, UBI, TTWO. Stock value falling is not exclusive to us. :)

While this is true. Some have dropped much more than others and there is something to be said for sentiment online and right now it's very negative towards certain publishers that have been putting out lackluster products.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
The knee jerk reaction is assuming Activision is going to turn Blizzard into a Husk by announcing that they are cost cutting. Blizzard wastes millions of dollars and years on rebooting games like Starcraft 2, Starcraft Ghosts, Diablo 3, Project Titan ect.

I never said that Activision was going to turn blizzard into a Husk. But the truth of the matter is the company we knew as blizzard has been changing and not for the better. Their legacy of those games like starcraft are the reason Activision wanted to merge with them. They were making a lot of money off of their lagacy on top of all the WOW subs.

Like though it was not super great, Vanilla diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 sold a lot. On top of millions in sales for each WOW expansion. Overwatch sold over 25 Million within it's first year. Not everything works out like Project titan. But they have other IP's cooking, just not ready to show. It feels like activision is in a way putting pressure on them because they don;t release games like they do with the revenue streams attached like season passes. Blizzard seemed ok with what they were making with MTX'S in hearthstone and Overwatch. but I guess Activision is looking at their revenue compared to blizzards and wanting to tighten up things. Which meant cutting support staff which has happened.

Blizzard now, seems to be changing in terms of internal leadership, not all is bad, as person who took over for IP's has a great background from being creator director or big WOW expansions.

But it does feel like there is more of the Activision higher ups swaying Blizzard leadership in changing how they do financials and what not. Which is not a good sign.

Blizzard never really needed activision, and activision could have survived fine.

Oct 27, 2017
Are they making year on year growth profits? I thought battlefield and other games did not reach projected sales.

You will never hear any of those CEO announcing numbers which would make the company look bad. They will bundle sales of successful and unsuccessful games into one clump, concealing the failures. Instead, they will announce some of the stats like X million players did this, or reviews are X%.

This is a great way to avoid detailing anything about ME:A:

In EA's Q3 FY18 Earnings Call on January 30 of 2018, CEO Andrew Wilson was asked by a research analyst as to why "unfortunately, some of the nonsports titles have performed below expectations" (the analyst did not name any specific game). After citing the good performances of other games such as Battlefield 1 and Dragon Age: Inquisition, Wilson responded: "if you look at Mass Effect [Andromeda], while there was some polarizing sentiment in that franchise, it's actually performed really well, and player engagement is really strong."

Andromeda "performed really well", so the plan is to halt fixing/expanding ME:A, shut the studio down and shelve the IP.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anything juicy you know about Activision / Blizzard internally? Or any studios like IW/Treyarch?
We know that Blizzard used to run by a guy who didn't care about profitability. We know Vivendi shielded them. We know Wehn Activision Blizzard bought itself out from Vivendi that Activision got a majority share in Blizzard. We know Activision loves money above all else. That does not mix well with Blizzards philosophy. Shit was going to go down sometime after AB broke free from Vivendi.

Whether that is Activision pressuring/buying out Blizzard staff we can only assume.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square is really shit compared to other merchant services. Their rates are terrible.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
We know that Blizzard used to run by a guy who didn't care about profitability. We know Vivendi shielded them. We know Wehn Activision Blizzard bought itself out from Vivendi that Activision got a majority share in Blizzard. We know Activision loves money above all else. That does not mix well with Blizzards philosophy. Shit was going to go down sometime after AB broke free from Vivendi.

Whether that is Activision pressuring/buying out Blizzard staff we can only assume.

Following Blizzard for many years, the only thing that I know that has bubbled up from internal Activision/Blizzard disagreements is the Warcraft movie, thanks to the Sony Pictures hack. We found out that Bobby Kotick hated that Blizzard ended up pursuing the movie and as a result he wanted all future projects to be done internally.

This was before the movie was released so his attitude has no bearing over how well it did.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Following Blizzard for many years, the only thing that I know that has bubbled up from internal Activision/Blizzard disagreements is the Warcraft movie, thanks to the Sony Pictures hack. We found out that Bobby Kotick hated that Blizzard ended up pursuing the movie and as a result he wanted all future projects to be done internally.

This was before the movie was released so his attitude has no bearing over how well it did.
I never said that Activision was going to turn blizzard into a Husk. But the truth of the matter is the company we knew as blizzard has been changing and not for the better. Their legacy of those games like starcraft are the reason Activision wanted to merge with them. They were making a lot of money off of their lagacy on top of all the WOW subs.

Like though it was not super great, Vanilla diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 sold a lot. On top of millions in sales for each WOW expansion. Overwatch sold over 25 Million within it's first year. Not everything works out like Project titan. But they have other IP's cooking, just not ready to show. It feels like activision is in a way putting pressure on them because they don;t release games like they do with the revenue streams attached like season passes. Blizzard seemed ok with what they were making with MTX'S in hearthstone and Overwatch. but I guess Activision is looking at their revenue compared to blizzards and wanting to tighten up things. Which meant cutting support staff which has happened.

Blizzard now, seems to be changing in terms of internal leadership, not all is bad, as person who took over for IP's has a great background from being creator director or big WOW expansions.

But it does feel like there is more of the Activision higher ups swaying Blizzard leadership in changing how they do financials and what not. Which is not a good sign.

Blizzard never really needed activision, and activision could have survived fine.

Blizzard had no say. Blizzard was owned by Vivendi. Vivendi merged with Activision, and created Activision Blizzard as a holding company for it's gaming housed Activision and Blizzard. AB then bought itself out from Vivendi giving Activision a majority stake in Blizzard. Blizzard needed something bigger because Mike Morhaime didn't know how to run a company. Well he did know how to run a gaming studio. But he never cared about making a profit, which does not bode well if you are a publicly traded commodity. Do I think Blizzard should have had some balls and bought themselves out from under Vivendi and gone private? Yup. Do I think Activision is doing the right thing? Depends on how you look at it.

Blizzard as a company is highly inefficient and wasteful. Not good if you are beholden to stockholders. However, you cannot rush art. Just look at the quality of games of that Blizzard has produced vs Activision. There is no comparison. Avctivision tries to put out games and sequels yearly. Most are rehashy, samey, garbage. Blizzard on the other hand Usually puts out polished products that are meant to last more than a 365 day cycle. Activision will ultimately destroy Blizzard if it continues to pressure it to be like them.