• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What the fuck is going on over there?
What I've picked up:

1. Hubris (I've heard from several ex-Blizzard coworkers that senior staff has absolute power)
2. Inability to adapt to modern principles of game development (for example, my friend said that they rely primarily on intuition and not on established best practices)
3. They're making too much money (same problem with Riot; there's too much money coming in so they're bad at holding people accountable)

Caveat here; I also have friends who work there and love it. If I had to guess, I'd say their problematic departments are (1) production, (2) dev management, (3) finance/top leadership, and (4) game design.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Blizzard has a record of cancelling projects that don't turn out good.

Just because it sucks that something someone worked hard on doesn't see the light of day doesn't mean it's the wrong decision.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Maybe the horrible mobile Diablo got cancelled? I mean, we have June 2019 and still couldn't play it, what's going on there?

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Just to be clear, this could have been in full production with a lot of developers, or not far into developement. Although I get the sense it wasn't a small thing from the tweet but I might be wrong.

On the other hand:

Press sneak fuck is on the case.

Please don't be Warcraft or Starcraft related

Maybe the horrible mobile Diablo got cancelled? I mean, we have June 2019 and still couldn't play it, what's going on there?

Nah it's made by an external Korean partner

Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 (or whatever they wind up being called) are very much still alive.

Jason do you know anything about what's going on with World of Warcraft, why is the team changing dramatically? Core game has gone to hell with BFA.

What's going on behind closed doors regarding development and management?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We need a thread discussing how bad management is in the video game industry, it seems to be the achilles hell if the entire sector. I hope Jason finds out what game this is.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And? All the companies have projects cancelled all the time be it in pre or post-production. The difference is that we don't know the majority. Totally normal.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't be Warcraft or Starcraft related

Nah it's made by an external Korean partner

Jason do you know anything about what's going on with World of Warcraft, why is the team changing dramatically? Core game has gone to hell with BFA.

What's going on behind closed doors regarding development and management?

Netease is chinese, not korean.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Overwatch is. In what bizarre world is it some failure?
It's not a failure by any means, but it feels like right now it's the single thread that's holding Blizzard together. Just look at the updates. It's just skins every time. Right now it doesn't represent the Blizzard magic which the game had so strongly going for it at launch.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
It's always unfortunate when it happens, but pulling the plug on projects is usually done with good reason. Sometimes a project doesn't come together, regardless of how much the people working on it believe in it, or cool it looks and sounds on paper.

Blizzard is not a company that has no qualms re-purposing concepts they still think have value in other projects anyway, so the parts worth saving have a decent shot at getting another chance.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
One of my friends was working a temp job at a developer no one at Era likes, got offered her "dream job" at Blizzard, took it, spent about a month there before quitting and saying "they had no idea what they were doing", and going back to accept a full time position at the developer on one on Era likes.
i'm trying to filter my personal bias that's not aligned with ERA what i bother to see on ERA and coming up empty on what dev that could be. So i'll just guess E....

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a failure by any means, but it feels like right now it's the single thread that's holding Blizzard together. Just look at the updates. It's just skins every time. Right now it doesn't represent the Blizzard magic which the game had so strongly going for it at launch.
You must've missed the Workshop and the new Replay System. It's not 'just skins every time', some of these systems just take more time. I will say the events this year around were very disappointing though.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
You must've missed the Workshop and the new Replay System. It's not 'just skins every time', some of these systems just take more time. I will say the events this year around were very disappointing though.
Not just the events.
The core of the competitive mode is getting very stale. Another thing i have noticed is almost nobody is talking in voice chat anymore.
I usually played from 2500 to 3500 sr, and on the very top you get what competitive used to be; people communicating, making call outs, listening to them, and trying to coordinate.

Nowadays almost every match is a free for all. No team effort whatsoever.
On my season 16 placements i didn't have a single match where people joined the chat and tried to coordinate. Not one.
When you need to counter specific comps, this gets really old really fast.

If this team of developers was indeed developing a PVE stile component for Overwatch i would blame the decision makers at the top.
PVE content always got consumed in minutes by players. And the ROI on it seemed very low.

What the game needs is serious development of tools/rulesets to encourage team play, give more choice depth to comps and punishes toxic behaviour.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's an eye opener for me too, they'll have to walk a fine line and not piss anyone off who worked hard to get some of the legendary skins.

Try being FIFA. Every year a new version comes out and you have to start over with your loot box legendary players.

Your legendary skins are stuck with Overwatch 1. Time to accept that before disappointment.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Merex

May 31, 2019
I just hope it wasn't another MMO that was cancelled. I really want Blizzard to make a successor to WoW :(