• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are these playable with the SNES controller on Switch?
Yeah, works perflectly with the controller, and it's a joy to use with. Through, the button to get back to the main menu is not available, since it's a trigger press. Means that if you want to save or change game, you need to swap to another controller.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Blackthorne and Lost Vikings are absolutely dope games, and definitely worth the money.

Does it have the DOS versions of them as well, or just SNES? At least with Blackthorne, I always preferred that one - even with the MIDI soundtrack. The video kinda implied that there would be different versions present, but confirmation would be nice. :)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So wait, does this include both SNES and Definitive Editions only or are there other versions (DOS, MD/32X, etc)? The trailer showed six "original versions" (2 of each game) with different dates and visuals?

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
So wait, does this include both SNES and Definitive Editions only or are there other versions (DOS, MD/32X, etc)? The trailer showed six "original versions" (2 of each game) with different dates and visuals?
SNES for all and Genesis version (dubbed "definitive" for some reason) for TLV and 32X and Blackthorne I believe.
Idk about R'n'R though, it mentions 16:9 support so I guess it's a tweaked console version?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

->
Digital Eclipse made this btw. It's not "just" 3 games either.

Blackthorne:
  • SNES
  • 32-bit
  • Definitive Edition
The Lost Vikings
  • SNES
  • Genesis
  • Definitive Edition
Rock n Roll Racing
  • SNES
  • Genesis
  • 4 Player Versus mode
  • Definitive Edition
Plus a museum with behind the scenes stuff!

stealthyfrog could you please put this in the OP or threadmark it? thanks.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'm buying this to play R&R racing on on my PS5 lol
I still have the original SNES cartridge though but it's so messy to hook up the SNES to modern tv's..

Neonvisions

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't I save my game on the Definitive version of Rock n Roll Racing but I can on the SNES and Gen versions? Am I missing something here?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts exactly. This would've been an instant buy.
It seems the lost vikings 2 ip rights are a bit more difficult, since blizzard only made one version of the game. A real shame its not on there, especially since the version they made is the best one visually.

Oct 28, 2017
Digital Eclipse made this btw. It's not "just" 3 games either.
Blackthorne:
SNES
32-bit
Definitive Edition

The Lost Vikings
SNES
Genesis
Definitive Edition

Rock n Roll Racing
SNES
Genesis
4 Player Versus mode
Definitive Edition

Plus a museum with behind the scenes stuff!
So do the Snes and Gen versions of RnR racing have their original audio?

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
So no DOS versions. Ah well. I get that the process for emulation there is a bit different and probably harder to do multiplatform. Still would have been nice for having the complete package. The DOS Blackthorne is meaningfully different from (and imho preferable to) both the SNES and the 32bit versions of the game, and as such historically relevant.

Still a great package, I'll probably still get it.

Edit:
It seems the lost vikings 2 ip rights are a bit more difficult, since blizzard only made one version of the game. A real shame its not on there, especially since the version they made is the best one visually.

Yeah, there might be some Interplay stuff going on there. The game was made by Beam Software iirc, Blizzard only handled the SNES version. But yeah, that would have been preferable. The pre-rendered style of the other versions is pretty garish, similar to the 32bit Blackthorne.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
That's a shame. I'd love to play them again (and I'd take Rock N Roll Racing as a nice bonus) but I just don't think I'm interested if it's only the first game 😕

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Or they don't want to offer SNES version but lost code/assets for PC/PSX one? Latter had different graphics, better music and voice acting.

The PC/PSX/Saturn version wasn't developed by Blizzard so it's likely that they don't have the code/assets for that.

But I don't think that's it, they've been offering the PC version of Lost Vikings for years now and that is not the best version. The SNES version of Lost Vikings 2, which was developed by Blizzard, is perfectly fine. IMO it aged much better than the other ones that use pre-rendered 3D graphics.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Man, a definitive edition of Rock n Roll racing is something I've wanted for ages. That's worth buying this collection alone for me.

The only downside I see, is there is no 32-bit/32X version of blackthorne? Will probably pick this up as soon as I get some MS rewards.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
So no DOS versions. Ah well. I get that the process for emulation there is a bit different and probably harder to do multiplatform. Still would have been nice for having the complete package. The DOS Blackthorne is meaningfully different from (and imho preferable to) both the SNES and the 32bit versions of the game, and as such historically relevant.

Still a great package, I'll probably still get it.

Edit:

Yeah, there might be some Interplay stuff going on there. The game was made by Beam Software iirc, Blizzard only handled the SNES version. But yeah, that would have been preferable. The pre-rendered style of the other versions is pretty garish, similar to the 32bit Blackthorne.

The DOS versions has been officially free for a while on the blizzard site, look for classic games at the bottom of the page:

https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/download

EDIT: Unless you wanted the DOS version to play on console, in that case I think you're out of luck

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
The DOS versions has been officially free for a while on the blizzard site, look for classic games at the bottom of the page:

https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/download

EDIT: Unless you wanted the DOS version to play on console, in that case I think you're out of luck

Yeah. Would have been nice to have on switch. Also just from a "preservation of history" standpoint I like it when these kinds of compilations are relatively complete. But as said, it's still a great package.

I have the original big box, so I'm good on that end. :)

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Worth noting that The Strong contributed some scans to the project, including the sweet prototype Rock n Roll Racing box!

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Any word on whether there are meaningful differences between the console versions? Debating on picking this up on either PS4 and Switch and wondering if there's an advantage to one or the other.

Worth noting that The Strong contributed some scans to the project, including the sweet prototype Rock n Roll Racing box!

Love seeing this kind of preservation in action. Hope Activision made a nice contribution to The Strong to support their work.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Any word on whether there are meaningful differences between the console versions? Debating on picking this up on either PS4 and Switch and wondering if there's an advantage to one or the other.

Love seeing this kind of preservation in action. Hope Activision made a nice contribution to The Strong to support their work.

We've worked with Activision in the past! See: https://www.museumofplay.org/blog/2018/09/documenting-the-skylanders-story

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The game could use some more options. Like music volume. Also, it's really weird that the SNES and Genesis versions of each game have options for fullscreen and borders on/off, but the Definitive Editions do not. Being stuck playing in a window is not my idea of definitive.

Rock N Roll Racing's Definitive full widescreen is great! Would be killer if they all had that. But the Definitive Edition of Rock N Roll Racing doesn't even seem to have a save function? The others do, but in the Definitive, I have to use the old password system?

Anyway, I'm starting with Blackthorne's 32X version. The prerendered sprites are a bit stiff, but I want to see those exclusive levels. I wonder if they're even in the Definitive Edition?

Oct 28, 2017
So I downloaded this last night. From the half hour or so I spent with RnR Racing, I discovered that "Paranoid" is not included in the definitive edition. And it also seems they removed the song from both the SNES and Genesis versions. Obviously it's a rights issue, but it kinda sucks. They also included an attempt at chip tune versions of the definitive version songs. It sounds better than the Genesis soundtrack but not as good as the SNES one. I suppose I applaud the effort, but I woulda rathered they attempted the option of listening to the SNES soundtrack on the definitive edition, even with less songs.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Grr. Trophies still aren't working. I had one pop for doing the Blackthorn tutorial, but my trophy list is still borked.

Wesen

Mar 13, 2020
If I buy the celebration edition on my switch, do I get the overwatch skin on PC if I don't own overwatch on switch? My switch is linked to battle net through Diablo 3.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Can someone explain what the "Definitive Editions" are all about?

Tempted to get this. Bummer that Paranoid's not in there. Is Highway Star in?

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
Rock N Roll Racing's Definitive full widescreen is great! Would be killer if they all had that. But the Definitive Edition of Rock N Roll Racing doesn't even seem to have a save function? The others do, but in the Definitive, I have to use the old password system?
Yeah for some reason it is specifically the one game that doesn't have that functionality. Super weird and was bummed to run into it since it was the one I wanted to play the most. I also wish you could just get the full manuals from within each game. I mean they're all over--it seems fairly trivial to just include, and is actually useful if you're looking to experience the games as they were experienced back in the day. Other than that really enjoying this.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
So I downloaded this last night. From the half hour or so I spent with RnR Racing, I discovered that "Paranoid" is not included in the definitive edition. And it also seems they removed the song from both the SNES and Genesis versions. Obviously it's a rights issue, but it kinda sucks. They also included an attempt at chip tune versions of the definitive version songs. It sounds better than the Genesis soundtrack but not as good as the SNES one. I suppose I applaud the effort, but I woulda rathered they attempted the option of listening to the SNES soundtrack on the definitive edition, even with less songs.
Losing Paranoid sucks, I always loved the SNES version of the song.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah for some reason it is specifically the one game that doesn't have that functionality. Super weird and was bummed to run into it since it was the one I wanted to play the most. I also wish you could just get the full manuals from within each game. I mean they're all over--it seems fairly trivial to just include, and is actually useful if you're looking to experience the games as they were experienced back in the day. Other than that really enjoying this.
Great point about the manuals. Also, they have a music player for the Lost Vikings and Blackthorne tunes, but not the RnR tunes. So strange.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Blackthorne, I loved that game! But that price for these 3 old games... definetly too much.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Does the definitive version of Rock and Roll Racing have all the Genesis tracks? I always was conflicted on how to play that game since the Genesis version has twice as many tracks but the music is so awful that I didn't want to play it