• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

I saw this tweet get posted out by a former hearthstone content manager:

Christina Mikkonen @ZerinaX
Really Blizzard? You laid off your entire HS community team and left it in shambles. Other CMs you laid off are still looking for work (not me) and you post this? SHAMEFUL. SHAME ON YOU.

This is ridiculous. I know blizzard has been trying to fire tons of people recently but axing an entire division and then a few months later posting job ads to replace them is crazy immoral. Blizzard employees seem to routinely get screwed but they carry on anyway because working for blizzard is seen by so many as a dream job and blizzard takes advantage of this.

Going through that thread is infuriating.

Apparently it's not limited to the heathstone community team, there are enough posts there saying that it's happening all over the company.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Blizzard is in a bad way. The heart and soul of that company is unfortunately long gone. Hoping they wake up from this slump and start making some good decisions for once.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Lol, imagine applying for a job knowing the company is not afraid of mass layoffs for that job.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Remember when Blizzard made incredible games and was the dream place to work?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, imagine applying for a job knowing the company is not afraid of mass layoffs for that job.

"It says here that you previously worked as a community manager at Blizzard. Please tell me about your experience working there and how the skills you learned there could be applied to working here at Blizzard."

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
xDW0YKw.png

Looks like someone may already be on the case.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guessing Ben Brode saw the writing on the wall and got out before it was too late. That sucks for everyone involved

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone needs to remember that the Blizzard of Diablo 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and World of Warcraft is long gone. This is what Blizzard is now.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I dunno man. Easy to judge but we have no idea what's going on. A couple of CMS people could have left the job months after they laid off the majority if them, and then they posted to replace them. Or maybe work ramped up too. Who knows

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Likely illegal in California depending on some factors. I wonder if these now massive corporations are kicking themselves over the fact that they just happened to incorporate there as small companies in that state not seeing the potential ramifications
Well, it won't be the same people. Not sure about the legality of that.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Fire people whove gotten multiple raises and then hire new people at the starting salary

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Old blizzard is gone. If you think they are around, you are in for a rude awakening. It's basically just Activision in the skin of Blizzard trying to use the name to sell trash.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason that Bungie jumped ship from activision so soon. Activision is a cancer to any studio they work with.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
That is a really shitty feeling. It sucks when management wants to cut costs or restructure without having a full vision especially, then positions that were cut come back shortly after...sucks to see Blizzard doing this shit.

Sestrugen

Oct 28, 2017
Probably rehiring with the same salary or slightly lower but absolutely reducing the benefits.

When companies start to influence their financial results by making these type of decisions is really the end since it's not sustainable in regards to the qualify is the work you are producing, really bad for me since I used to love everything that they produced.

Oct 26, 2017
People need to get over this "Working at Blizzard is a dream job" thing because it hasn't been true for a long while, especially not for entry level non-dev jobs.

Oct 29, 2017
I wish that activision let them go and they became independent again and the likes of Chris Metzen all came back.

As I say.. I wish.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
? They're making record profits.

Gamers can whine on and on about how blizzard is going down but fact is unless it shows in the bottom line it's basically worthless drivel.
Blizzard is probably fine when it comes to profits for now yes. EA has had terrible games for the last few years aside from their sports titles such as Battlefield 5, Battlefront 2, and Anthem. If those bombs really aren't affecting their profits at all right now then if they continue in that direction it definitely will.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They probably got too expensive to keep around, but new hires are cheaper. Thats just conjecture but it does happen.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Lmao Blizzard did this years ago with the whole "Blizzard 600" thing in the CS department. They had mass layoffs in CS then later they posted listings for the same positions. Apparently it was a mistake and the listings were only supposed to be sent to specific people they wanted back and not everyone. Blizzard is shit and has been for a while.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
That's one way to pay less in salaries I guess.

(The games industry is unethical as hell when it comes to workers rights. They have a big storm coming.)