• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It was another hollow apology, but like people predicted: The moment new games are announced, some people display their lack of backbone and integrity because they immediately hopped back to loving Blizzard.

This is such a silly statement. I bet you have zero clue of a single poster who said I'm boycotting Blizzard who subsequently went back to endorsing them.

Not one.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I hope players on the major Blizzard stages keep showing signs of solidarity with Hong Kong and make Blizzard either keep being the shit heels they are or full reverse course on this China bootlicking.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This is such a silly statement. I bet you have zero clue of a single poster who said I'm boycotting Blizzard who subsequently went back to endorsing them.

Not one.

Yeah but how can they feel better about themselves if they don't make sweeping generalizations about groups of people? Unless those people excited for videogames are not acting as outraged as everyone else they must be bad people.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Was positively surprised by there being any signs of protest at all around Blizzcon.
Kudos to the people protesting outside and the guy cosplaying as Xi Jinping (pictured below.)

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say to the people who are saying that events like a Hearthstone Tournament interview shouldn't be a platform for politics of any kind, I agree with that for the most part but I also think no law or rule should be 100% absolute and these things shouldn't be treated as black or white. Freedom and not being oppressed are core-rights of humans, if someone speaks out for the freedom of others who are being oppressed that should be an absolute nonpunishable statement due to morals alone.

Now if someone brings any other kind of politics into such a situation, such as gun control, personally attacking another human being (Trump sucks!) etc. then this behavior should absolutely be punished but not a statement that fully aligns with human rights.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but how can they feel better about themselves if they don't make sweeping generalizations about groups of people?
Lol what? In this kind of situations people don't generally need to feel better. The only one generalizing is you.
Unless those people excited for videogames are not outraged, let me generalize for those people "acting" outraged. They must think that those people are bad people.
Fixed your sentence.

I wouldn't call them bad, people are more than one thing and that would be a very narrow minded situation. Your a human being not a ostrich so pretending everything is fine and acting blah I can't hear anything because of games is well sad.

I wanted to say more but since I'm not allowed, at least I'm not willing to fly that close to the sun. Please just stop pretending that you care and just buy your games and play them.

Last edited:

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Activision/Blizzard needs to take a knee here. They need to run a promotion in their games that allows the players to purchase an item that can be displayed in-game that show support for the cause. Umbrellas or if they have any teeth an image like these....
dwsnrmt0ssh31.jpg

140929_0011.jpg

2000px-Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png

Or if they really have any balls at all they'd take the situation for what it is. People are dying for their freedom. Profits over people?
rpit9ei6fx331.jpg

ALL of the profits of that sold item should then be put towards pro HONG KONG support.

Activision/Blizzard. Let your community have a voice. You just need to supply the microphone.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya haven't paid attention to the blizzcon thread have you.

People don't care. The internet lacks long term memory unless it's shit like no man's sky.

It's what it is.
This made it to mainstream news coverage, senators from both sides of the aisle wrote a letter openly condemning them. It's obvious they would much rather bow to an oppressive regime for the sake of their bottom line. This isn't something that's just going to magically go away after awhile this is going to affect how people see Blizzard in the long run. The internet doesn't lack long term memory, a few people on the internet want to forget about this so they can justify themselves for buying their games.

Even when it stops being talked about as frequently, this whole situation is going to be forever tied with Blizzard's identity as a company, like Nike and sweatshop labor and Amazon with their warehouse practices.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA

Not one.

Good for you. I'm glad we established that you think my views are invalid by providing, uh, absolutely no points on your own.

Only thing I ask is that maybe you could contribute to the discussion by actually providing counterpoints rather than simply reacting in dismissive nature to someone else's stance. If you think I have zero clue and stuff, just put me onto your ignore list, that feature exists for a reason, just please spare me and others of the dismissive crap because you don't agree with us, especially if all you have to say is "YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT" and that's it.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the point now where I'm not sure they could do anything to rectify what they've done for some of you. They should unban that dude, but expecting them to go around and start screaming "free hong kong" and such will never happen. I can't imagine any company in bed with china that you like doing that.
I mean, yeah? How does that apology mean anything without unbanning him?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people always defend China by calling out the people?

When people say fuck China they mean the government that is committing genocide and ethnic cleansing, and their supporters/defenders.

China deserves to be called out for all the evil they commit.
Same tactic used when people criticize the state of Israel: "stop being antisemitic!"

It's spineless bullshit.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Good for you. I'm glad we established that you think my views are invalid by providing, uh, absolutely no points on your own.

Only thing I ask is that maybe you could contribute to the discussion by actually providing counterpoints rather than simply reacting in dismissive nature to someone else's stance. If you think I have zero clue and stuff, just put me onto your ignore list, that feature exists for a reason, just please spare me and others of the dismissive crap because you don't agree with us, especially if all you have to say is "YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT" and that's it.

*golf claps*

You're only confirming your researching skills are just as good as your writing skills. The point you tried to make, the people saying they take issues with Blizzard are crawling back to them because they released a hype trailer, is trash and based on nothing but your lazy engagement with this subject.

I'm shocked anyone views that BS PR speech to be a real apology.

The anger at Blizzard clearly emotionally affected him. Some people are unfortunately taking on too much pity for his emotional appeal because it is the heat of the moment. The others really didn't care about the underlying issue for the anger against Blizzard.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Reopening this thread as others in a similar vein keep popping up. As a reminder, hostility towards other members or inflammatory generalizations about other members will not be tolerated and will be moderated strictly. If the thread becomes unmanageable it will be locked again.

Bless the mods unlocking my thread <3

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

Not one.
I actually follow a shitload of people who said it and what do you know? the bones in their back have dissolved

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Activision/Blizzard needs to take a knee here. They need to run a promotion in their games that allows the players to purchase an item that can be displayed in-game that show support for the cause. Umbrellas or if they have any teeth an image like these....
dwsnrmt0ssh31.jpg

140929_0011.jpg

2000px-Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png

Or if they really have any balls at all they'd take the situation for what it is. People are dying for their freedom. Profits over people?
rpit9ei6fx331.jpg

ALL of the profits of that sold item should then be put towards pro HONG KONG support.

Activision/Blizzard. Let your community have a voice. You just need to supply the microphone.

HK prefer the black flag, not the red one as a heads up.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I agree with you here. It was just a well crafted PR speech and those short pauses where he was waiting for applause were sickening. Blitzchung is still banned, no action is being taken, they didn´t even say his name or what they are sorry about exactly.

Sorry J. Allen Brack , this is not good enough.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
It's a slippery slope for a company that wants its products in China. You allow your esports platform become a platform for protests. It is no longer about the game. It's about the political cause. I personally can understand why a global company would try and avoid this. I suppose they could have just released a statement, "we don't condone the statements he made", and then suspended him. He knew the terms of his contract and decided to go against it anyway.
My guess is that you don't actually understand what his contract says. The wording is "in blizzard's sole discretion" so you're standing there pretending that blizzard set out some sort of clear rule set when the reality of the matter is that the rules are that blizzard does what blizzard wants.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Great op, a hollow apology that didn't mean anything. On a related note Jim talked about this today and on the money.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Great op, a hollow apology that didn't mean anything. On a related note Jim talked about this today and on the money.

It's kind of telling that you can see the similarities when Jim shows the images of Todd Howard at E3 this year briefly, and how similar they look to this.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The irony of overwatch, and hero's protecting people from opression and danger, and then Blizzard is just embarassing beyond belief.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
A lot of people probably don't actually care, but want to be seen as socially acceptable playing blizzard games. That's why they clapped. They got what they wanted.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
What a load of bogus. Yeah I said it before and I'll say it again:

Blizzard won't see a single penny from me until they fix this, neither will their overlord Activision.

~Signed

A lapsed Blizzard appreciator

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
My guess is that you don't actually understand what his contract says. The wording is "in blizzard's sole discretion" so you're standing there pretending that blizzard set out some sort of clear rule set when the reality of the matter is that the rules are that blizzard does what blizzard wants.
Yes, I Heard about that clause. And I suppose they should have said, no political discussions during live or post matches. I also wish they would have been a little more discussion before enforcing the rules. Ultimately they are a private company and can do what they want within US laws and regulations.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Yes, I Heard about that clause. And I suppose they should have said, no political discussions during live or post matches. I also wish they would have been a little more discussion before enforcing the rules. Ultimately they are a private company and can do what they want within US laws and regulations.
But here's the thing: they didn't use a clause like they because they, unlike you, know that they've already allowed political speech because it's impossible to define "political speech" in a way that concretely allows them to avoid pissing off China without also making them hypocrites.

More importantly, they didn't do that, so stop defending it.

No one here is saying that blizzard did anything illegal, so it's really weird to bring that up once you've been backed into a corner. It's kind of like being called out for saying something bigoted and then your response is "well I have free speech, so..."

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The apology was bullshit, but not as much as the original post in this thread.

You're right that everything is political, so it's impossible to avoid. But that doesnt mean players should be granted a mic and a soapbox to say whatever political message they feel like at a tournament. In this case the message was one that anyone would agree with, so it seems like a no brainer that this was some gross censorship meant to appease a market share. What if the message were anti gun control or abortion or Trump 2020, or the opposite of that, you want to invite that kind of garbage into the fold? Again, in this case the message was simple and good, but GENERALL speaking I don't particularly care or want to hear what a person who plays video games for 100 hours a week (or even what my own friends and family) thinks about any political topic. I DO want to hear a pro gamers insights and comments on the things they are experts on, or the matches they just played. If you want to say something while the light is shined on you, take a knee by all means, but you didn't see Colin K. being handed the microphone right before the national anthem. I say this as someone who agrees with his message as well.

Gamers in general are a trashy crowd, I really don't think you want to be lobbying for esports tournaments to be open mic night after every match.
Blizzard's non-apology IS worse than Hobbes' original post. Saying it's the opposite is hyperbolic, to downplay the groveling Blizzard did for a fascist state.

ABTHE2SKQMI6RAECCBNEI3IZXA.jpg

Sports being political goes really far back, so you getting hung up on the method like comparing Colin Kaepernick's kneeling as being correct and Blitzchung saying he's in solidarity with freeing Hong Kong is wrong is missing the forest for the trees. You not caring or wanting to hear a pro gamer's politics who happens to live in Hong Kong and is affected by the topic he brings up is very privileged, and screams "no politics in my videogames".