• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I have been accused of being slightly rude because I don't say "Bless you" after someone sneezes, & I don't say "thank you" when someone says it after I sneeze myself.

I've always hated this particular social norm. Why the fuck should I thank you for casting an imaginary fairy jesus spell after I have an involuntary expulsion of air from my nose? You didn't DO anything.

Thoughts? What other seemingly insignificant social norms bother you?

Oct 25, 2017
It's a basic polite thing that doesn't bother me. It shows someone cares a tiny bit about my existence and I appreciate that.

Jyester

Oct 27, 2017
In my native language, we say "to your health" and I've always taken "bless you" to share the same meaning. You don't have to take it literally, because it's likely that nobody has Jesus on the mind when they say it.

Last edited:

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Being polite and kind doesn't cost anyone anything. I'm sure you would sing from the rooftops if anyone was rude to you for no reason.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point it might not even carry the same meaning it used to. It's just a saying. I kinda feel rude not saying it but that's because it has been ingrained into me from a very young age as a reactionary thing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Also, why is it when I drop a big warm wet fart nobody blesses me, they just look at me with disdain.

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
Just take the polite gesture and move on?
We have enough shit stains in this world to worry about the way people want to show you empathy.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a good look op. Your reading into it far too much, its basic consideration.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whats+the+deal+with+airline+food+_3308aba33460c5e26466fe15a5609d56.jpeg

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Being nice and polite costs you 2 seconds. It's just a simple acknowledgement.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
I stopped doing it with people I spend a lot of time with because it's basically an arbitrary tradition (why not when people cough, which is often a sign of worse sickness?) and saying it tens of times a day is annoying and pointless.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have been accused of being slightly rude because I don't say "Bless you" after someone sneezes, & I don't say "thank you" when someone says it after I sneeze myself.

I've always hated this particular social norm. Why the fuck should I thank you for casting an imaginary fairy jesus spell after I have an involuntary expulsion of air from my nose? You didn't DO anything.

Thoughts? What other seemingly insignificant social norms bother you?

Seriously? Someone accused you of being rude because you didnt say it after a person sneezed?

Holy fucking hell. This would never happen in Scotland and if someone did say this to me i would just tell them "Hows this for rude. Fuck off!"

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Just take the polite gesture and move on?
We have enough shit stains in this world to worry about the way people want to show you empathy.
Not a good look op. Your reading into it far too much, its basic consideration.
That's a bit of a prickish way to take it.
I'm usually quite polite. It's this ONE little manners thing that baffles me. Interesting to see the hostility over such a small thing, as it's basically something that does bother people.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say the Bless you, but I don't mind saying the Thanks part.

Over here in Mexico we say "Salud" which literally means "Health", not that Bless crap.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
It's being polite. I don't really like saying it either but no real alternative to be polite when someone sneezes. It's supposed to be I hope you don't come down with a cold/get sick. I don't really like doing gesundheit either since its another language and not everyone knows what it means.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I usually say gesundheit. It's just a moment of acknowledgement toward another person.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't think I have have ever known it to be expected as a display of manners, they sound a bit odd to me.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
when I was a kid I always thought it was "bleshoo" bc that's what a sneeze kind of sounds like

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Why does it bother you? Is it because it has a religious undertone? In a society people expect some stuffs to happen in a situation. Not saying anything after someone sneeze may be seen as a awkward moment for the sneezer too. Is this silly complaint on the society really a hill you want to die on?

it's your cross to bear
I see what you did there!